Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 29 Nov 2014, 03:35
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Can I import an Alien Package into Puppy?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]  
starhawk

PostPosted: Mon 03 Sep 2012, 13:51    Post subject:  Can I import an Alien Package into Puppy?
Subject description: SOLVED and the answer is yes (in this case)

Hey, I've got a "stupid question" here. I /think/ I know the answer but I want to make sure before I try it (I don't want to have it freak out and shoot the cat).

I know of a Slacko533-based Puplet that I really like. I want to install a program that does not appear to exist in *.pet form (Sonata, it's a music player). However, a Slackware *.txz package for this program *does* exist.

(1) Can I install that package into Puppy as if it were a *.pet file?
(2) If so, I assume I want the Slackware 13.37 version of the *.txz and NOT the Slackware 14 version?
(3) ...if all else fails, can I simply "unzip" the *.txz package and produce a set of folders and files for manual install, like I can with a *.pet file?

Thanks folks!

EDIT: just to be clear, I don't mind chasing down missing libs if I have to. I'm used to it already Very Happy

Last edited by starhawk on Mon 03 Sep 2012, 20:35; edited 1 time in total
Burn_IT

PostPosted: Mon 03 Sep 2012, 17:34    Post subject:  

I don't know about Slacko packages, but you could certainly do all those with Lucid and Ubuntu
James C

PostPosted: Mon 03 Sep 2012, 18:12    Post subject:  

It appears that the Slackware package is 64 bit so it'll be a no go in Slacko.......
Sonata pkg.png
 Description   
 Filesize   13.6 KB
 Viewed   312 Time(s)

Sonata pkg.png

Burn_IT

PostPosted: Mon 03 Sep 2012, 18:26    Post subject:  

I hope I beg to differ.!
I have Slacko 5.33 on my old laptop (this machine) which ceased to be made before 64bit machines were invented!! (probably)

mikeslr

PostPosted: Mon 03 Sep 2012, 19:53    Post subject: Slackware specific questions best posted to Slacko thread  

Hi starhawk,

Slackware specific questions are best posted to an active Slacko thread where those who know are (a) likely to find your question and (b) provide an answer.
I know Slacko can use txz files from Slackware repos. Although I test Slackos, believing I understand Ubuntu better, I primarily use Lupu and now precise. In those, you just have to click the .deb and Lupu/precise will install it. I think Slacko will do the same for txz files. But none check for dependencies. When you hunt down a Ubuntu or debian .deb, the web page its on tells you what dependencies it requires. Perhaps Slackware does the same.
Sometimes rather than just clicking the .deb, I unpack it, do the same with dependencies, combine them into one folder and use dir2pet or dir2sfs to create a pet or sfs. As long as you're experimenting, look up dir2pet and dir3sfs. If you're successful, you may want to share.

mikesLr
starhawk

PostPosted: Mon 03 Sep 2012, 20:07    Post subject:  

@Flash: I seem to recall a different title on this thread, which was perfectly good, and I don't seem to have a message saying it was changed... Confused Wink

@mikeslr: I rather didn't want to bother jejy69 with another half-inscrutable question about his GNOME-2.3.2 puplet... I've pestered him quite enough already!

I think I'll just try it and see what happens. I'm running from a CD w/o savefile right now (as a testing/dev thing) so worst happens I break something and reboot to a clean "install".

starhawk

PostPosted: Mon 03 Sep 2012, 20:29    Post subject:  

It /almost/ works -- there is one dependency that I can't really fulfill.

python-mpd.

I tried the /regular/ MPD, no go. It needs the python version, which doesn't appear to exist in any form other than source tarball... although I'll google around and see if I can find it hidden somewhere...

If all else fails, I'll compile it, but I'd really like to avoid that... I do not get along well with most programming languages!

EDIT: well that was fast! Get the *.txz here. It will work in any Slacko pup, I think...

Oh, right... a dirty little trick that's unfortunately necessary. Once you install both Python-MPD and Sonata, go into /usr/lib64 (which it creates and should not) and copy everything over to /usr/lib -- that will make it work.

...also Sonata tries to connect to the Net constantly. I will be looking at how to change that!

Flash, I'm going to mark this Solved. I hope you don't mind my changing your title!

Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]  
 Forum index » House Training » Beginners Help ( Start Here)
Jump to: