Installed Puppy with password but it won't boot

Booting, installing, newbie
jimiduzit

Installed Puppy with password but it won't boot

#1 Post by jimiduzit »

I installed puppy to it's own drive sdb1 and assigned it a password and when I get to the point where it loads up and put in the password it says it can't load please help because I can't even run it on the cd. I don't know any of the commands to use to get around in the environment I see. YET! I have tried throwing some things in and it starts to give information but I just need to get back in or start over with a new install HELP!

rcrsn51

Re: booting

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

jimiduzit wrote:I installed puppy to it's own drive sdb1 and assigned it a password
Are you talking about using an encrypted savefile with a password?

Is sdb1 a hard drive or flash drive?

Boot off the Live CD. At the short initial pause, type

Code: Select all

puppy pfix=ram
This will boot Puppy without using the problematic savefile. Then mount sdb1 and delete the current savefile.

Shut down and create a new savefile but do NOT encrypt it. Once you have Puppy working properly, you can look at encryption again.

jimiduzit

new install

#3 Post by jimiduzit »

Hey thanks: am getting ready to try what you said. Am brand new. It is an actual Hard drive. I formatted it ext 2 and it is an encrypted save file. I am getting ready to reboot and try what you instructed. Will look forward to letting know how it worked.

jimiduzit

newbie with boot problem

#4 Post by jimiduzit »

This is amazing; I haven't actually done anything meaningful yet just kind of exploring. I want to figure out how the system is structured, how a terminal works, how to set up email, install pkgs. So much to learn so little time! Thinks I'm in and it works great. unbelievably quick compared to XP which is what this old Sony came with like 8+ years ago!!! :D

:D