Whippet Puppy - TESTERS NEEDED

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
starhawk

Whippet Puppy - TESTERS NEEDED

#1 Post by starhawk »

Introducing Whippet Puppy. This Puplet is in ALPHA STAGE right now.

Whippet is for older systems that have a hard time with regular Puplets. It is a Woofy build (not Woof, Woofy -- sc0ttman's awesome remaster tool) off of TurboPup Xtreme 1.0. There are two Whippets.

Whippet-Full is intended for systems that are a decade old or less. It has OOoLight (a proper office suite), Sylpheed email client, and QtWeb browser. Anything with an Athlon XP in it /should/ run Whippet-Full just fine.

Whippet-Lite is intended for seriously-low-power systems, that are more than a decade old. It has SIAG-3.5.5, Tea (wordprocessor), QtWeb browser, and Claws Mail.

There are two known bugs and one known potential bug...
(1) I left out a few packages for Whippet-Full due to a really dumb transfer error (I forgot to copy some things to a flash drive :oops: ). It's SUPPOSED to have Chrome and IceWeasel in there, too, but it doesn't.
(2) IIRC, I forgot to change the wording of the boot menu from "turbopup" over to "whippet" :oops:
(3) The potential bug is... Whippet-Lite is larger than Whippet-Full, and I think I may have swapped names by mistake. This is easy to confirm -- the logo is on the desktop wallpaper, and it's slightly different for Whippet-Lite.

As a note, Whippet carries over one bit of behavior that I don't like --but don't know how to change-- namely, it does not permit you to run in RAM or specify boot options without a bootloader. So DON'T run it on a system where it will try to read an existing savefile and screw everything up! Run it on a clean system.

...if someone can tell me how to fix the "instant startup without prompt" misfeature, I'd love to know!

If someone can help confirm the existence of these bugs, that would be great. If anyone can confirm whether or not there are other bugs in these, and if so what they are, that would also be helpful.

Downloads here... user:puppy pass:linux
http://www.puppylinuxstuff.meownplanet. ... k/TESTING/
Whippet-Lite ~138mb - MD5sum = 9b3b8157b5cc67564028c3e17040c5e9
Whippet-Full ~85mb - MD5sum = eba91fe527d88fd757ecb8c51aebded8

Thanks folks!

Keef

#2 Post by Keef »

I've tried using whippet-full (the smaller one!).
Mounted the iso to do a manual frugal install. The iso is 85 megs but the pup_420.sfs appears as 220mb?? It copies over with errors (and at 84mb). Initrd.gz copies with errors too.
Cannot copy the vmlinuz though. Using 'properties' with rox right-click says:

Code: Select all

ERROR: cannot read `/mnt/+mnt+sda1+ISOs+whippet-full.iso/vmlinuz' (Input/output error)
MD5sum matches.

Downloading the other one now, will see how that goes...

starhawk

#3 Post by starhawk »

Well, that's a bother :?

Should handicap nooby a bit as well (not an idea I like) -- he's not going to be able to do a frugal NTFS install, it sounds like. A pity, since he's a nice fellow who's tested my stuff in the past...

Guess it's still broken :cry: can anyone get it to boot and report how it behaves once there?

Keef

#4 Post by Keef »

Now Whippet-Lite (the bigger iso) is working fine. Posting from it now. Had a little trouble with wifi - wrong driver selected at first, and also had to manually extract the firmware, but fortunately I knew what to do (similar thing happened with Akita).

Manual frugal install to a Compaq Armada M700 (circa 2000 I think)
Pentium 850 mhz
576mb ram
PCMCIA Linksys wifi card (uses b43 driver)

Using Opera-Next, as I have it outside of a save-file, shared between pups.

Pmount works a lot quicker than other pups, which is good (I can only take so much probing....)

starhawk

#5 Post by starhawk »

Nice to hear that! Sounds like the -Full version is broken. I wanted to redo that anyways...

Test out QtWeb and the other built-in stuff, if you would, please. I really want a comprehensive picture of what works and what doesn't.

...and to the rest of the forum: would be nice to have more than one tester.

James C

#6 Post by James C »

Been attempting to post........ I did get Whippet lite to boot pfix=ram on this old P3 test box.(866 mhz/512 mb ram...... runs vanilla Debian Squeeze). SeaMonkey wouldn't launch and QTWeb constantly crashed but Dillo works fine.No luck with the other iso though.
After this weather clears I'll do a bit more testing.

oldyeller

#7 Post by oldyeller »

I am downloading both right now will let you know later

Cheers

James C

#8 Post by James C »

For what it's worth, I got correct md5's for both versions.

starhawk

#9 Post by starhawk »

@James C -- I removed Seamonkey. Why would it still show up?

Pity that QtWeb crashed. Will have to go browserhunting again.

...actually, if you could run QtWeb from Terminal and tell me /why/ it's crashing that would be extraordinarily helpful...

I know what you mean about the weather. I'm in NC. It was stormin' fierce all last night.

@oldyeller -- thanks! LMK how it goes...

James C

#10 Post by James C »

starhawk wrote:@James C -- I removed Seamonkey. Why would it still show up?
Since the isos are mislabeled Whippet lite is actually the large version.....138 mb.SeaMonkey is there,just won't launch.I'll check more later.

Keef

#11 Post by Keef »

QTweb works ok for me. Tried a few different websites and no crashes. I have used it before and not had any problems that spring to mind.
Seamonkey was in my Internet menu too. Looks like just the binary has been deleted, but other files/directories are still lurking.
Can't change the window focus from sloppy to click (I prefer this).
X Filer works - but it's a bit of a minger.
gxine doesn't work:

gxine: error while loading shared libraries: libplds4.so: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory 
Pwidgets are not showing although they are running. I did get them to show briefly (until I changed something) but no show now. I rarely use it, so no great loss for me, just tried it for testing purposes.

starhawk

#12 Post by starhawk »

I deleted a lot more than the binary... guess I missed a *.desktop somewhere...

...I have a sneaking suspicion that the missing lib is something I took out where seamonkey was. I think I'll just leave those in, next time 'round. Simply easier that way...

I had trouble with the window focus model myself -- I prefer click as well, but couldn't get it to change. My best guess, since that's a "feature" of TurboPup, not something I did, is that it's hard-coded in somewhere. I don't know because I never found it so that I could fix it.

Not sure what's up with Pwidgets. Synth (TurboPup's creator) did some funky stuff in the desktop environment / window manager dept., probably as part of his "optimization" to make it so low-mem. I've no idea how to fix some of the resulting effects... particularly since Synth hasn't logged in in something like 18mo+ -- it's not like I can just ask him what he did where.

Reverse engineering is a pain in the butt when you know what you're doing. When you've got to reverse-engineer something, and you don't know enough to really understand what you're looking at... well, that's a whole different level of hard!

...I know how to use Woofy, and do minor tweaks to the filesystem (JWM config and such) but the rest is frankly beyond me.

James C

#13 Post by James C »

QTWeb loads pages fine here but as soon as an attempt is made to scroll down the page it immediately crashes. So I went old-school and installed Netscape Navigator..... working fine.

James C

#14 Post by James C »

Didn't check too close but there's 29 mb in the directory.... not much missing. :lol:
Attachments
seamonkey.png
(24.35 KiB) Downloaded 1117 times

starhawk

#15 Post by starhawk »

Hmm :? Woofy must be running into some issues. I'll check on that later, make sure the paths are correct...

Keef

#16 Post by Keef »

What James C said - /usr/lib/mozilla (nearly 8mb) and /usr/lib/seamonkey (29mb) plus ~/.mozilla (867k) all still there.

Switched to IceWM - got a black desktop until I ran the wallpaper setter (can't actually change it though - same in JWM). Pwidgets works here. All the browsers I tried crashed within seconds under IceWM.

starhawk

#17 Post by starhawk »

I didn't mess with IceWM so that's going to be rather a bit unstable for now.

I'll probably just pull it out, along with the mechanism for switching...

...if I can figure out how! :?

oldyeller

#18 Post by oldyeller »

Whippet lite really the full one

I got on the internet just fine. qtweb crashed, dillo did just fine however.

Could not charge background. Is this built on 4.2?

The light version would not boot

IBM X60

starhawk

#19 Post by starhawk »

It's based on TurboPup which in turn is a modified Puppy 4.2.0...

...starting to think I should work with Puplite instead. It's not nearly as much of a mess to figure out...

Keef

#20 Post by Keef »

Solved the window focus problem by adding:

<Include>/root/.jwm/jwmrc-personal</Include>
to /etc/xdg/templates/_root_.jwmrc
Otherwise no changes are written to .jwmrc from .jwmrc-personal