Dpup Exprimo 5.X.3.4.12 with 3.4.2 kernel.

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
linuph

#1101 Post by linuph »

Thanks for your attention, Pemasu.

rerwin

Broadcom fix integration into puppy - experiment-8

#1102 Post by rerwin »

pemasu, Terry H, stu91, peebee and now anyone using a "preference",
This has to be my final implementation of the Broadcom logic. I am concerned that the code up until now was in modprobe configuration files and contained some duplication. I have now moved the code to the module loader for eventual integration into woof.

Although the module-reloading logic is now added to the backend_modprobe script, I also changed preference handling so that no module is blacklisted in the process of determining whether to use a preferred module. My goal is that conflicting modules (supporting the same devices) may not overlap completely, leaving the possibility that a PC might contain similar (usually wifi) devices but where only one uses the preferred module, while the other needs to "old" module.

The idea is consistent with piratesmack's concept of loading modules in order of preference, but with a twist. If a networking module gets unloaded then reloaded, any connection it might have established would be broken and not re-established. So, when a non-preferred module is chosen, a 1-second delay is inserted before continuing the loading process. This should allow another device's preferred module to get loaded, before the older one completes loading, avoiding the need for the reload process for them.

Given that delay, the reload process should occur for only those modules that are preloaded during early initialization (i.e., ssb and bcma). Those do not themselves make a network connection, but trigger loading of modules (b43, b44, brcmsmac) that do connect. We have not yet seen whether the latter would stay connected if reloaded, since that occurs only when the wl module is used instead. That test needs to be done by someone with a combination of devices, say, a wifi using wl and an ethernet using b44. Or 2 wifis, one with wl and the other with b43. We also need to know whether the problematic bcm4311 cards still automatically use b43 instead of wl.

The advantages of putting the logic in the module loader are that (1) it occurs earlier, before wl actually gets modprobed and (2) all preference-related actions are logged, eliminating guesswork as to what happened. The log file is:
/tmp/pup_event_backend/preferences.log
Please post the content of that file in any report about this. The file is now included in the pmodemdiag version included in the package.

As you can infer from the package name, my intent is to contribute it to woof once our experimentation with it completes. The two goals, now, are to verify both/all preference-related devices function and that preferences related to networking work as well as before. And we may find some PCs with similar devices that may now both operate.

Enough explanation. Please try this by installing it and rebooting. (For other distros that do not have wl, peebee's multi-kernel broadcom package should be installed before this experiment package.) Please post the content of the /tmp...preferences.log file. Thank you, all.
Richard
Attachments
rerwin_woof_fixes-delta-3b-broadcom_experiment-8.pet
backend_modprobe with Broadcom logic
plus shrunken/fewer modprobe-configuration files.
NOT to be merged into the wl-driver multi-kernel package.
(18.76 KiB) Downloaded 362 times

Tman

#1103 Post by Tman »

Iguleder wrote:Yes - there is a new implementation, which is now part of roar-ng, my distro's framework (a-la Woof).

This new implementation has some improvements, but produces packages in its own format. I wrote some script which converts them to PET (yes, with automated splitting and stuff) - that's what I used to generate the dpup64 repository so far.

Don't worry - I'll make sure I document the dpup64 effort so you can build heaps of packages in few hours, too :)
Thanks, Iguleder! Buildpkg was/is a great piece of work, but it didn't seem to catch the interest of very many members of this forum. I will see if I can help change that, so that even newbies can compile their own apps, when they are not readily availiable for their particular version of Puppy. What do you think about creating a front-end GUI for buildpkg?

peebee

Re: Broadcom fix integration into puppy - experiment-8

#1104 Post by peebee »

rerwin wrote:pemasu, Terry H, stu91, peebee and now anyone using a "preference",............Please try this by installing it and rebooting. Thank you, all.
Richard
Hi Richard

All seems AOK here with my HP550 with relatively well behaved B43 wifi - have sent you pmodemdiags by pm.

Cheers
Peter
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

Billtoo

Dpup Exprimo 5.X.3.4.10 with 3.4.2 kernel.

#1105 Post by Billtoo »

I did a manual frugal install to the hard drive.

Dpup Exprimo, version 5.X.3.4.10 on Tue 28 Aug 2012

Chip description:
0.0 VGA compatible controller
Silicon Integrated Systems [SiS] 65x/M650/740 PCI/AGP VGA Display Adapter
oem: SiS
product: 6325 1.05.00

X Server: Xorg
Driver used: sis

X.Org version: 1.7.7
dimensions: 1440x900 pixels (411x263 millimeters)
depth of root window: 16 planes

Computer
Processor mobile AMD Duron(tm)
Memory 708MB (100MB used)
Operating System Unknown distribution
User Name root (root)
Date/Time Tue 28 Aug 2012 04:13:12 PM EDT
Processor
Name mobile AMD Duron(tm)
Family, model, stepping 6, 7, 0 (AMD Duron (Morgan))
Vendor AuthenticAMD
Configuration
Cache Size 64kb
Frequency 850.04MHz
BogoMIPS 1700.92
Byte Order Little Endian

It's working pretty well, I made a pet of links web browser, it runs a
little faster than firefox on this pc :)
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
(50.88 KiB) Downloaded 1181 times

Fabio T

Problem with headphones (VAIO laptop)

#1106 Post by Fabio T »

I've found a problem with the management of the audio in Exprimo from version 5.3.4.2.8. and next.

On my laptop Sony Vaio is impossible to hear music/sound with headphones, only from speakers, but sound works correctly with Exprimo 3.2.14. (in fact I am hear a song with this version while I am writing this post, with headphones!) The problem don't happen to the other my laptop Hp EliteBook 2530p.

I've tweaked a lot with Alsamixer and Retrovol but no success.

Audio Chipset of Vaio TT46GX is found by HardInfo like Intel 82801 and by Multiple Sound Card Wizard like ALC889 Analog.

What can I do for fix this inconvenient?

I've non yet found a fix with Search in the forum, so please help me...
Thank you a lot for this puplet.

EDIT: Perhaps the problem came from kernel. 3.4.2.has this defect for me.
I've tried a lot of distro with various kernel and this trouble is happened with kernel 3.4.x
Last edited by Fabio T on Mon 03 Sep 2012, 21:37, edited 1 time in total.

Billtoo

Dpup Exprimo 5.X.3.4.10 with 3.4.2 kernel.

#1107 Post by Billtoo »

I noticed that streamradio had some of my favorite stations so gave it
a try, it gave an error about mplayer bus (or something) and wouldn't
work.
I compiled mplayer 1.1 which took well over an hour but it completed
successfully and streamradio now works, yay.

pemasu

#1108 Post by pemasu »

Linuph. For me /root/Startup/bluetooth script works as expected. It starts the bluetooth-applet in jwm tray for me when I reboot. Or when I restart X.

So....could it be that you need longer sleep time before executing bluetooth-applet&

Launch in console: /root/Startup/bluetooth
and check does it execute allright for you and test with prolonging the sleep time before bluetooth-applet& in the script. There is also another instance of sleep in the script. That might also need longer sleep for you.
I couldnt find problem in the script execution in my laptop.

ssanubis

#1109 Post by ssanubis »

I would like to report success so far with the new build. I have tried on 2 systems so far, no network issues and no screen issues to be reported so far. I need to go through and test all the APPS to confirm, but so far Frisbee, Firefox, GetFlash and alsamixer are all I can think of that I have used and none have presented problems.

I do have a minor issue I have noticed with both .09 and .10 of the 5.X.3.4.X build in regards to Adobe Flash. There is an odd boxy, dithered look to videos that is not present in the 5x15 and 3.1.10 builds which I also have on thumb drives using the same version of Adobe Flash via GetFlash on all of the above distros. I have tried using different browsers such as Chromium, Seamonkey and Opera and they all have the same issue in this particular flavor of Exprimo. It's not enough of an issue to bother troubleshooting atm as it does not prevent use of flash, so I would not concern yourself with that, I would like to hear from others that use Exprimo 3.2.X and see if this issue has been replicated by others so that a commonality can be established.

don570

#1110 Post by don570 »

A python word processor that saves its documents in HTML
Let’s welcome WriteType 1.3.163
Posted by max on 10th August and posted in News
WriteType 1.3.163 is now available! WriteType is a word-processor designed to help elementary school students write better. It gives students who have a hard time writing an easier approach in putting their ideas on paper. In addition to fixing many bugs, the latest WriteType release has several new features to help students succeed. Some new features include:

New translations — WriteType is now available in four new languages: Russian, Bulgarian, Italian, and Dutch.
http://writetype.bernsteinforpresident.com/

new Deadbeef 5.5 works in Exprimo
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 01&t=79351

edoc

#1111 Post by edoc »

don570 wrote:A python word processor that saves its documents in HTML
Has this been tested in Exprimo?

Is there a PET or SFS, please?

One our children may really benefit from this.
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

gcmartin

#1112 Post by gcmartin »

Current Exprimo tested. Boots all the way to desktop without issues on 2 laps and 1 X2 6GB RAM. Spectacular again!

JRE, SAMBA, and muCommander all work as you designed them. Performance of Windows accessing Puppy's resources is outstanding over SAMBA.

Thanks for all you do for us.
P.S. Latest stable version of SAMBA is 3.67.

charlie6

WriteType 1.3.163

#1113 Post by charlie6 »

Hi don570
don570 wrote:A python word processor that saves its documents in HTML
... WriteType is now available in four new languages: Russian, Bulgarian, Italian, and Dutch.
Hmmmm.....it looks lightweight (1.6MB archive) but needs Python :shock: + PyQt4 + Qt4 ...
hope it could run ootb

linuph

#1114 Post by linuph »

@Pemasu. Thanks for your reply! You are right.

Yes, it seems that I need delays here and there, not only for Bluetooth startup. There are some other, probably related, timing problems that I'm looking into. I''l come back on that later. A reason could be that I work with relatively slow USB 1.1 flash memory only, no HD.

For completeness sake: I use a Compaq Presario 1712AP laptop with Intel 1Ghz processor and 512Mb ram.

It seems I have found the reason why Bluetooth won't startup initially, that is, from a fresh, never-used- before squeezesave: there is no
'bluetoot-share directory' in /root. It is to be created and that is done in '/root/Startup/bluetooth' with the line 'mkdir /root/bluetooth-share'. That takes time and may be the reason why bluetooth won't startup. Changing the first 'sleep 1' in /root/Startup/bluetooth into 'sleep 5' seems to take car of that, initially.

At the very second boot, '/root/bluetooth-share' already exists (it is never removed) and the same line 'mkdir/root/bluetooth-share' results in a (hidden) error but takes less time, apparently, but not always.

Changing the second 'sleep 1' in '/root/Starup/bluetooth' into 'sleep 5' takes care of any second or later boots. The first 'sleep 5' then becomes irrelevant and could be reverted back to 'sleep 1' or the mkdir action could not executed at all.

Note that this is similar to my previous method by initially running /root/Startup/bluetooth twice from terminal: it could be about the initial creation of /root/bluetooth-share.

Whatever the solution (or workaround) is, I think that when the bluetooth tray icon initially shows a red "x", the user should be able to turn bluetooth on with a right-click on that icon. But it doesn't. It replies with a clickable 'Turn Bluetooth On' but you can't.

That's as far as my observations go. I understand that it may be hard or impossible to reproduce this on a relatively modern laptop, anyway, not like my rather battered, nearly 11 year old one.
Last edited by linuph on Thu 30 Aug 2012, 16:22, edited 1 time in total.

linuph

#1115 Post by linuph »

@billtoo ref. links-2.7-i486.pet
Nice, small footprint web browser. Thanks!

edoc

#1116 Post by edoc »

linuph wrote:@billtoo ref. links-2.7-i486.pet
Nice, small footprint web browser. Thanks!
Wazzat? Whereszat?

Inquiring minds want to know ... :-)
[b]Thanks! David[/b]

edoc

#1117 Post by edoc »

sorry, dup ...
Last edited by edoc on Fri 31 Aug 2012, 12:24, edited 1 time in total.
[b]Thanks! David[/b]

pemasu

#1118 Post by pemasu »

edoc

#1119 Post by edoc »

Wow, completely missed that, glanced past it as merely a screenshot.

Thanks!
[b]Thanks! David[/b]

dennis-slacko531

Can I get a written review link?

#1120 Post by dennis-slacko531 »

I could just Google something, but I'd like something real and adds a firsthand narrative. I'm trying to promote a little distro hopping as healthy. Give a look please.

UPDATE: I'll use the DistroWatch written review, even though it's talking about Slacko.