Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Fri 24 Oct 2014, 04:48
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects » Localization Project
How to translate Puppy into Thai language?
Moderators: Lobster, MU, raffy
Page 1 of 2 [17 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
oldyeller

PostPosted: Sat 25 Aug 2012, 14:26    Post subject:  How to translate Puppy into Thai language?  

I have a missionary friend (forum user name is loyal) he wants to translate puppy fully into the Thai lang a well as all the Asia lang.

How would we use the Momanager for this?

I have never done this before as far as translating anything.

Any and all help would really be grateful.

Cheers
vicmz

PostPosted: Sat 25 Aug 2012, 18:18    Post subject:  

Recently, Barry Kauler updated the Momanager how-to page:
http://bkhome.org/fossil/woof2.cgi/artifact/ee29820a5d24df4f84cc2c449152df4fefdcbb79
Usually latest versions of Wary and Racy are recommended. POedit is more comfortable when you edit .po files, you may want to download it for use with Momanager:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/sfs/poedit-1.4.2-4.sfs
You may also want to contact Shinobar about getting an input method for Thai language, for Thai isn't written in Latin alphabet.
You can also ask for help to langpack maintainers: esmourguit (French), L18L (German), rodin.s (Russian). Currently I maintain the Spanish langpack, I can help, too.

oldyeller

PostPosted: Sat 25 Aug 2012, 18:48    Post subject:  

vicmz wrote:
Recently, Barry Kauler updated the Momanager how-to page:
http://bkhome.org/fossil/woof2.cgi/artifact/ee29820a5d24df4f84cc2c449152df4fefdcbb79
Usually latest versions of Wary and Racy are recommended. POedit is more comfortable when you edit .po files, you may want to download it for use with Momanager:
http://distro.ibiblio.org/quirky/sfs/poedit-1.4.2-4.sfs
You may also want to contact Shinobar about getting an input method for Thai language, for Thai isn't written in Latin alphabet.
You can also ask for help to langpack maintainers: esmourguit (French), L18L (German), rodin.s (Russian). Currently I maintain the Spanish langpack, I can help, too.

Thank you for all of this will look at the how-to. I am using precise that I have built.
vicmz

PostPosted: Sat 25 Aug 2012, 21:17    Post subject:  

Yes, Precise has Momanager, too. Remember you need to load the devx and set the system language to the language you want to translate to, Thai in this case (don't forget to turn UTF-8 on). I don't recommend puplets that have important modifications, for example I booted latest Macpup and some scripts are different enough from traditional builds to make a separate langpack.
You have to check the NLS files for applications such as Abiword, Gnumeric, Geany, GParted, SeaMonkey, etc., they may have already a Thai translation. If they don't, you'll have to search the web for existing translations or find out how to make new ones.

oldyeller

PostPosted: Sun 26 Aug 2012, 13:41    Post subject:  

vicmz wrote:
Yes, Precise has Momanager, too. Remember you need to load the devx and set the system language to the language you want to translate to, Thai in this case (don't forget to turn UTF-8 on). I don't recommend puplets that have important modifications, for example I booted latest Macpup and some scripts are different enough from traditional builds to make a separate langpack.
You have to check the NLS files for applications such as Abiword, Gnumeric, Geany, GParted, SeaMonkey, etc., they may have already a Thai translation. If they don't, you'll have to search the web for existing translations or find out how to make new ones.

thank you will keep all of this in mind.
oldyeller

PostPosted: Mon 27 Aug 2012, 13:20    Post subject:  

Does anyone know if Google Translate is any good? That is the only way that I will be able to translate puppy into Thai.

I figure that I could get started and loyal could check and correct any sentence structure.
vicmz

PostPosted: Mon 27 Aug 2012, 14:42    Post subject:  

It can help for words and short phrases, but the longer the text is, the more mistakes it can have. Tell your friend to compare this sample text and its Google translation:

----------------------------------------------------------------------

Original:

Puppy runs in a particular 'state' that we call the PUPMODE. This depends on the type of installation and the type of hardware. Currently, PUPMODE=0. If it is an odd number, for example 13, then Puppy is doing everything in RAM and saving the current session to a drive periodically -- this is done in the case of Flash memory to make it last longer. When Puppy runs in an odd PUPMODE, there will be a 'save' icon on the desktop, also a save occurs at shutdown. You can also specify a periodic save here:

Save interval (0=never):

NOTE1: PUPMODE=77 (multisession DVD) excluded, only manual save with desktop icon and at shutdown.
NOTE2: PUPMODE=5 there are no saves, above value ignored.

Translation:

ลูกสุนัขทำงานใน 'รัฐ' โดยเฉพาะอย่างยิ่งที่เราเรียกว่า PUPMODE นี้ขึ้นอยู่กับชนิดของการติดตั้งและประเภทของฮาร์ดแวร์ ปัจจุบัน PUPMODE = 0 ถ้าเป็นเลขคี่, 13 เช่นนั้นลูกสุนัขจะทำทุกอย่างใน RAM และประหยัดการใช้งานปัจจุบันไดรฟ์ระยะ - นี้จะกระทำในกรณีของหน่วยความจำแฟลชที่จะทำให้มันนาน เมื่อลูกสุนัขทำงานใน PUPMODE แปลกจะมีไอคอน 'ประหยัด' บนเดสก์ทอปยังประหยัดที่เกิดขึ้นในการปิด นอกจากนี้คุณยังสามารถระบุระยะบันทึกที่นี่:

บันทึกช่วงเวลา (0 = ไม่):

Note1: PUPMODE = 77 (multisession DVD) ยกเว้นเพียง แต่ประหยัดใช้กับเดสก์ทอปไอคอนและที่ปิด
Note2: PUPMODE = 5 ไม่มีประหยัดกว่ามูลค่าละเว้น

----------------------------------------------------------------------

You can also learn some basic Thai -- you don't have to learn to speak, just learn how to build sentences and have a dictionary at hand.

Thai grammar reference (PDF, 10 MB)

Last edited by vicmz on Sat 01 Sep 2012, 17:12; edited 1 time in total
L18L

PostPosted: Mon 27 Aug 2012, 15:44    Post subject:  

oldyeller wrote:
Does anyone know if Google Translate is any good? ...

Hi oldyeller,
here are my experiences with translate.g**gle
english -dutch should be not so difficult
But note Bert´s comment please Laughing Laughing Laughing
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=590181
oldyeller

PostPosted: Mon 27 Aug 2012, 17:15    Post subject:  

L18L wrote:
oldyeller wrote:
Does anyone know if Google Translate is any good? ...

Hi oldyeller,
here are my experiences with translate.g**gle
english -dutch should be not so difficult
But note Bert´s comment please Laughing Laughing Laughing
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=590181

Well I guess Google translate is out I did here about that it was not all the good. I did how ever like Bert's comment Laughing Laughing Laughing
oldyeller

PostPosted: Mon 27 Aug 2012, 17:49    Post subject:  

What about the Microsoft translator, or maybe I should just get a dictionary Laughing Laughing
vicmz

PostPosted: Mon 27 Aug 2012, 18:44    Post subject:  

oldyeller wrote:
What about the Microsoft translator, or maybe I should just get a dictionary Laughing Laughing

When someone needs to have their texts translated, who do you think they call? Laughing
loyal

PostPosted: Tue 28 Aug 2012, 23:50    Post subject: I think I messed up my post  

First a warning I am on my wife's korean based cpu
I may have sent a reply to the origninal post. I not not sure how to move it. No cut and paste on forums I suppose.

My student is here. Try agian
Loyal
oldyeller

PostPosted: Wed 29 Aug 2012, 10:38    Post subject:  

Hi loyal,

yes you can cut and past. Post as much as you if you have questions and need help for the translation.

People on this forum are awesome to work with.

Cheers
vicmz

PostPosted: Sat 01 Sep 2012, 17:08    Post subject:  

I've found this Thai fonts for Linux, they work and have about 12 type styles. But I tested the coffee page of Wikipedia in Thai, the text looks so ugly and small I wouldn't be able to read Thai even if I did understand. Shocked Also, I copied some Thai text into AbiWord, The text looked ugly and incomplete, only when you select all the text and change to one of the Thai fonts the texts looks complete and clear.

Here's the link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x80y5iy949a7e16/thai-fonts-ttf-tlwg-0.5.0.tar.gz?dl=1

Extract the file and copy the .ttf files of the folder in the directory /usr/share/fonts/default/TTF

**EDIT**
Press CTRL and the '+' (plus) key on the numeric keypad, it will zoom the web page and makes more comfortable to read Thai text.
image-2.png
 Description   Thai text looks too ugly and small in SeaMonkey
 Filesize   75.46 KB
 Viewed   588 Time(s)

image-2.png

Last edited by vicmz on Sat 01 Sep 2012, 18:07; edited 2 times in total
oldyeller

PostPosted: Sat 01 Sep 2012, 17:21    Post subject:  

vicmz wrote:
I've found this Thai fonts for Linux, they work and have about 12 type styles. But I tested the coffee page of Wikipedia in Thai, the text looks so ugly and small I wouldn't be able to read Thai even if I did understand. Shocked Also, I copied some Thai text into AbiWord, The text looked ugly and incomplete, only when you select all the text and change to one of the Thai fonts the texts looks complete and clear.

Here's the link:

https://www.dropbox.com/s/x80y5iy949a7e16/thai-fonts-ttf-tlwg-0.5.0.tar.gz?dl=1

Extract the file and copy the .ttf files of the folder in the directory /usr/share/fonts/default/TTF

Thanks you when loyal is able to get on the internet this will be a very big surprise for him. Again thank you very much.
Page 1 of 2 [17 Posts]   Goto page: 1, 2 Next
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Projects » Localization Project
Jump to: