Uninstalled WINE, but program leaves too much behind!

Using applications, configuring, problems
don922

Uninstalled WINE, but program leaves too much behind!

#1 Post by don922 »

Puppy: 3-Headed Dog - lucilibre-001.005.iso -- frugal install
WINE: from the Quickpet in that Puppy, ie, wine-1.3.6-i486-sfs4.sfs

Tried to install 3 different programs in Wine and none load entirely and would not run.
PuppyLinux-Wikka : HowToUninstall wrote:Uninstalling SFS packages
SFS packages are unloaded via the BootManager or SFSLoad. As SFS files are read-only and less likely to uninstall uncleanly.
Uninstalled wine.sfs with SFSLoad and it left behind the following items:
1. 10 Wine menu entries in Utility category
2. root/.wine directory with all contents

How do I get rid of the junk left behind without causing more problems?
[color=green][i]Don -- Thailand[/i][/color]
[url=http://www.puppylinux.com][img]http://tinypic.com/4e0tojl.jpg[/img][/url]

`f00

#2 Post by `f00 »

Hi Don )

Depending on your install type (not sure about full install)

Frugal and multisession use whiteout, so my 'safe' way is to rename the parent dir (.wine to .wineFU for example) in a fm like rox or mc that does recursive so all subdirs and files in that dir are pathed differently after the rename .. then delete .wineFU dir (and all its content). Same thing for individual files like the dotdesktops in /usr/share/applications.

This way you won't be messed up by whiteouts if you ever try to do wine again. The whited out files have the FU suffix, so they don't interfere (unless by really slim chance some crazy person makes a dotpet or sfs with dirs or files named that way, :lol: ).

hth

don922

whiteout?

#3 Post by don922 »

`f00 wrote:Frugal and multisession use whiteout, so my 'safe' way is to rename the parent dir (.wine to .wineFU for example) in a fm like rox or mc that does recursive so all subdirs and files in that dir are pathed differently after the rename .. then delete .wineFU dir (and all its content). Same thing for individual files like the dotdesktops in /usr/share/applications.
I am not familiar with "whiteouts". So I ran the word wine in pfind and added FU to all the listed wine directories and individual files which appeared to be related to the deleted Wine installation. In total there was 1 directory and 45 individual files .

I will delete all of these when I hear back from you.

Thank you very much for you help!
[color=green][i]Don -- Thailand[/i][/color]
[url=http://www.puppylinux.com][img]http://tinypic.com/4e0tojl.jpg[/img][/url]

`f00

#4 Post by `f00 »

Whiteouts are how 'deleting' is handled by a layered file system. You can not see them in a running pup (unless you look in the special /initrd/puppy_ro* dirs or similar).

It's related to the correction fluid typists use in that it 'covers' deleted files so they cannot normally be seen by the operating system (with a special prefix, .wh if I recall correctly).

Usually this works quite well .. unless you 'delete' something vital (or that you may try again in the future) and save the session. Hence my 'safe' method of rename-before-delete (if in doubt) works well for me.

Some technical discussion I found in this forum (interesting, but probably not too germane to your case)..

I've recently had to deal with this in a 'bad' personal sfs, so hopefully I can save a few others from a like fate ;)

mikeslr

Uninstalling Wine with apps installed

#5 Post by mikeslr »

Hi don922,

What I think happened is that even though you were using a Wine SFS, when you installed applications to run under Wine, it wrote onto your SaveFile the files and directories to be used by those applications. Consequently, merely unloading the Wine SFS does not delete those files and directories from your SaveFile.
Don't panic. With one exception, applications under Wine only write to two directories. The first directory is ".wine". Note the "." which indicates that it's a hidden file. Assuming your running a Puppy which uses rox as its file manager, and haven't changed the default folder rox opens to, merely open rox --i.e., click the "file" or "home" icon on your desktop, or open rox from Menu>File System>File Manger. On its tool bar you'll see an "eye" icon. Left click it; Hidden files will appear. Scroll down if necessary. You'll see a folder named ".wine" Right-Click the folder, select "delete" and then "Quiet." That will get rid of the entire wine file structure, and all files located there. [In the future, if you install wine and discover a program which doesn't run, you can just get rid of that program by opening ".wine" --left-click-- opening drive_c-- opening Programs, and then deleting the offending program's folder].
The second directory that wine applications rarely, but sometimes, may have written to is /usr/share/applications, which is where applications listed on your menu are found. They all end with the designation .desktop, and almost always have a name corresponding to that of the program. For example, all applications installed by wine, itself, will have a name starting with wine, such as "wine-clock.desktop." Right-click and delete.
The exception are "portable applications" such as those built to run from a USB-Key under windows. These do not write to Windows registry and, so, will also not write to Wine's Registry. If they have an "installation" or "setup" program, when you run it you'll be asked where you want to install the program. If you didn't select default, it may have installed it to anywhere. And that's where you have to look to find the folder it created. Just delete that folder. Use pfind, (see below) select all to locate the directory.
A reboot is usually necessary for deletions to take effect.

mikesLr

p.s., Last possibility. If I recall correctly, some xp applications while creating ".desktop" files, do not place them in /usr/share/applications, and Puppy may pickup that other location in creating its menu. So if after deleting everything obvious as per above, and rebooting, the offending program still shows up on the menu, run Menu>File System>pfind, type in the "name_of_app.desktop" to locate it. If that doesn't find it, then just type "desktop" and look for something relevant. Use rox to scroll to that file, right-click selecting "open as text" and if its executable is the one you want to get rid of, quit the editor and use rox to delete the file.
mikesLr