How to run Super Meat Boy game in Slacko 533?

Play with your Puppy.
th0rgall

How to run Super Meat Boy game in Slacko 533?

#1 Post by th0rgall »

Hello,

I bought the Humble Indie Bundle V a few months ago, the game Super Meat Boy was included. A Linux version of this game is also available, and since I finaly found a perfect puplet for me (Valiant Ship (xfce) - Slacko 5.3.3), I decided to try getting this game work on Puppy Linux.

The installer worked flawlessly, but I can't run the game.

Here's what I tried:

Code: Select all

# cd '/mnt/sdb1/Super Meatboy'
# sudo sh '/mnt/sdb1/Super Meatboy/SuperMeatBoy'
Super Meat Boy: Installed in '/mnt/sdb1'.
Super Meat Boy: Using x86 version.
/mnt/sdb1/Super Meatboy/SuperMeatBoy: line 50: /mnt/sdb1/x86/SuperMeatBoy-x86: No such file or directory
/mnt/sdb1/Super Meatboy/SuperMeatBoy: line 50: exec: /mnt/sdb1/x86/SuperMeatBoy-x86: cannot execute: No such file or directory
# sudo '/mnt/sdb1/Super Meatboy/x86/SuperMeatBoy-x86'
SDL_GL_LoadLibrary(NULL) failed: Failed loading libGL.so.1

Fatal Error: SDL_GL_LoadLibrary(NULL) failed
Does anyone know how I can get this libGL.so.1 working, or is there anyone who's also bought this game and got it working on Puppy Linux? Thanks in advance :).

sfoster

#2 Post by sfoster »

It looks like the game either needs the SDL_gfx library or you dont have 3d support installed (normally you do this through an application in puppy called quickpet or "slikpet" in slacko). If you need SDL_gfx, you should look on the forums or do a puppy search:
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/PuppyLinuxSearchEngine

FYI: if you havent gotten them already, you will probably need the full SDL set.
This includes:
SDL (general SDL libs)
SDL_mixer (for sound)
SDL_gfx (for advanced graphics)
SDL_ttf (for font support)
SDL_net (for network play)

I see you used sudo. this is not necessary in puppy. Puppy does not even have sudo installed. I am surprised you didn't get an error to that effect. plus the fact you are already running as root (observe the "#" symbol at prompt) making sudo unnecessary.
I hope this helps some. Good luck sir!
S

PS This didn't occur to me at first, but if you don't know, software packages in puppy have a .pet extension. some software can be downloaded through the puppy package manager (petget), but the vast majority is found online at these forums.

th0rgall

#3 Post by th0rgall »

Thanks for the reply! No, I don't think I have 3D support installed, but I tried to install specific drivers for my ATI card (which weren't found). The problem is, I don't want specific drivers to be installed, because I'm planning to use this puppy-stick on more (and less competent) PC's in school.

I'll try to find a driver via slickpet, and i'll also install the packages you've listed above. As you can see I am some kind of a Linux noob. I mainly played around with Ubuntu (from there the sudo) but that doesn't work so well on flashdrives ...

And yes, I knew that packages have a .pet extension, I had already downloaded many GTK themes from this awesome forum for the previous Slacko. But the script installer from Super Meat Boy did its job I guess.

sfoster

#4 Post by sfoster »

3d support is tough in puppy.
Larger distributions deal with it by having a boatload of drivers, but as puppy is aiming to be small, this is not usually an option. a fairly decent catch all set is the Mesa driver in slickpet.
Some ATI cards have had a history of being tough to get drivers for from what I hear. I have never attempted to cover all bases like what you are talking about, so I dont know how that will go. I have used puppy on some computers at school though and it usually seems to work decently. I would be very careful about testing untried graphics configurations at school because if they use CRT monitors you could risk damaging them with the wrong settings (fortnightly I have not experienced this firsthand). Also, if you are testing driver sets ALWAYS test them on a live install first! the wrong ones will cause a crash. In fact, that is a good rule of thumb for almost any package not in the official repos. If you have any choices about hardware at all, I would recommend the integrated Intel graphics chips.
Also, I forgot to mention a package, SDL_image for image manipulation. All of the SDL packages except GFX can be found in official slacko repos,
Good luck.
Yours,
S