General questions about Linux and Puppy

Booting, installing, newbie
VictorVictor5

General questions about Linux and Puppy

#1 Post by VictorVictor5 »

Greetings everyone,

I know these questions are random, but I feel a Linux expert can answer these in one post. Since I am a noob trying to be a Linux convert, I have to ask these.

1.) Does Linux require an anti-virus? I see that it is a yes/no answer, but I wanted to be sure, that and Puppy Wary already has a firewall program. Any anti-virus programs recommended?

2.) On that same subject, anti-spybot programs as well?

3.) Does Puppy Wary (or any version of Puppy for that matter) allow you to create a username and password, similar to Windows? If so, how does one do that?

4.) Can you change the desktop background of Puppy Wary to a picture of your choosing? If so, how does one do that?

5.) Can Puppy go into Hibernate or Standby? I tried Standby, but it didn't like it, and on the next boot it was deleting files, to which I had to reinstall Puppy. We're good now, but maybe it's a bug?

Thanks!
VV5

alphadog

#2 Post by alphadog »

Hi,I will try to answer your queries for you:
1 :- I have 3 linux computers all running "puppy" of different types and so far have never suffered any sort of virus attack . If you are unsure there is anti-virus called F-Sprot I believe.
2 :- Sorry I do not know of any anti spy-bot programs, but again, I have never suffered any attacks.
3 :- Wary does not allow you to create user or passwords to my knowledge (you may need one of big distros for this such as Linux Mint or Ubuntu or there is a new one called SolusOS which looks good). Saying that, I know that there is a multi-user Puppy based on 4.21 I think.
4 :- Yes you can, just drag your picture into usr/share/backgrounds and it will be there ready to use.
5 :- Sorry don't use these. All I do is use X-lock to lock the screen

I expect someone more knowledgeable than me will be along soon !
As a side note, having moved from Microbloat about 4years ago I would NEVER go back .
Cheers and good luck.
Dell Optiplex760 8Gb RAM 256Gb SSD+500Gb HDD(Now running Bionicpup64)

bigpup

#3 Post by bigpup »

Anti-virus and security issues are discussed here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/index. ... order=DESC
Antivirus programs can be found here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/index. ... order=DESC
Linux malware does exist:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linux_malware
5.) Can Puppy go into Hibernate or Standby? I tried Standby, but it didn't like it, and on the next boot it was deleting files, to which I had to reinstall Puppy. We're good now, but maybe it's a bug?
This seems to be very dependent on what version of Puppy you are trying to run and what computer you try it on.
Best way to solve this issue is to post a specific trouble report, in beginners help section of forum, and be very specific with info on computer specs and Puppy version.
3.) Does Puppy Wary (or any version of Puppy for that matter) allow you to create a username and password, similar to Windows? If so, how does one do that?
Search here for multiuser.
http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Karl Godt

#4 Post by Karl Godt »

BK's kernels are compiled to support Sleep mode only, not for hibernation support. Since your's a PII 400MHz I guess you have to twiddle with apm .

Code: Select all

dmidecode |grep -iE 'ACPI|APM'
gives me
APM is supported
ACPI is supported
ACPI (ACPI supported)
on Intel DualCore .

For hibernation look for kernels by pemasu (Dpup Exprimo, Saluki) .

Sylvander

#5 Post by Sylvander »

Here's the present last page [18] of my Puppy_Linux thread.
All kinds of goodies listed there; the results of years of browsing here in the Puppy forums.
You could begin at the end [most recent] and work backwards, or else go to the beginning [started in 2008], and work forward.

L18L

Re: Total Noob questions about Linux and Puppy

#6 Post by L18L »

VictorVictor5 wrote: 1.) Does Linux require an anti-virus? I see that it is a yes/no answer, but I wanted to be sure, that and Puppy Wary already has a firewall program. Any anti-virus programs recommended?
In my wary there is a desktip icon labelled Setup where you can find the item "Setup a firewall".
VictorVictor5 wrote: 3.) Does Puppy Wary (or any version of Puppy for that matter) allow you to create a username and password, similar to Windows? If so, how does one do that?
Yes. Open a console, changing password is easy:

# passwd
Changing password for root
New password: 
Retype password: 
Password for root changed by root
#
In any recent version of wary/racy/precise,.....you are asked at shutdown running as administrator (root) or as underprivileged user (fido).
Independent of that you can add a ne user by using the command adduser:

# adduser victor
adduser: /home/victor: No such file or directory
Changing password for victor
New password: 
VictorVictor5 wrote: 4.) Can you change the desktop background of Puppy Wary to a picture of your choosing? If so, how does one do that?
Menu > Desktop > Pwallpaper

Peterm321

#7 Post by Peterm321 »

alphadog Tue 21 Aug 2012, 16:01 wrote:
3 :- Wary does not allow you to create user or passwords to my knowledge (you
may need one of big distros for this such as Linux Mint or Ubuntu or there is a
new one called SolusOS which looks good). Saying that, I know that there is a
multi-user Puppy based on 4.21 I think.
As a Wary user, I cannot say whether it can be easily configured to adopt a formal login screen with user and password, but can state that it is possible to create usernames and passwords (using the adduser command) and run programs under them e.g as a restricted user. However, to run programs under these usernames may mean using the su command in a terminal window and running them from there, or by editing the the su command into any icon on the desktop (the desktop is run as root by default).

8-bit

#8 Post by 8-bit »

If you use SeaMonkey or Firefox as your browser, it is a good idea to add the plugins of NoScript, AddBlocker+, and Ghost.
NoScript will block scripts from being run while on line, AddBlocker+ blocks most adds, and Ghost blocks trackers.

nooby

#9 Post by nooby »

If you have 64bit computer than there is a version of Puppy
that run the browser as restricted user but Puppy in general
run as root.

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=638732
Fatdog64-600 Final and 601 (July 2012)
You can use Fido and Spot in Lupu and Slacko too
but maybe FatDog has tested it more and they actually
by default set the browser up as Spot.

So if that is what you need that is expected in FatDog.

But you need a computer that has 64bit CPU

Very few seems to use "restricted user" so it will not be easy
for you to get responses if you have questions and ask on a day
where the spot users are not active on the forum?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

sfeeley

#10 Post by sfeeley »

for standbye, this will probably (not definately work -- some hardware doesn't)

1. use puppy package manager to install acpitools
2. create a new file (right click in root or anywhere else you can easily find). name it "sleep"
3 open the file you just created and write this text and then save:

acpitool -s
4. right click the file and set permissions to executable

Now when you click that file, it should put your computer into sleep. (wake by hitting any key)

to create a desktop icon

5. drag the file to the desktop.
6 right click --> file --> set icon (you;ll have to download an icon from someplace like this
http://www.iconarchive.com/search?q=sleep

L18L

Re: Total Noob questions about Linux and Puppy

#11 Post by L18L »

VictorVictor5 wrote:Greetings everyone,
... Thanks!
VV5
Are you still alive?

VictorVictor5

#12 Post by VictorVictor5 »

L18L,

Yes I am still alive! 8)

It's just been one hell of a semester and I am getting back into the swing of things with trying to learn Linux. I will update this post when I can.

Thanks!
VV5