pBurn 4.3.19

Audio editors, music players, video players, burning software, etc.
gcmartin

Re: Using UDF media

#1841 Post by gcmartin »

disciple wrote:
gcmartin wrote:
  • Recognition of the media and mounting (addressed)
Am I missing something, or are you?
How is this "addressed"
@TaZoC and @01Micko showed methods of adding support to PUPs to allow the mounting of the UDF media.

I have tested their suggestions with the media that was given to me and others. It does, in fact, allow reading of the small sample of UDFs that I tested. Other subsystems n PUPs can used the mounted media's files-folders for various tasks that can be perform.

Understandably, though, the ability to mount the UDF media as writable doesn't work at this stage of recognition, for its only read-only. But, that has helps the community somewhat.

I think you can see its benefit. Thanks for your assistance.

Here to help

otropogo

pburn 3.7.4 won't blank Verbatim DVD+RW

#1842 Post by otropogo »

Have tried repeatedly to blank a Verbatim DVD+RW disk.
When try to blank it in Pburn 3.7.4, Pburn displays :

"please insert disc - if disc is already in tray, please reinsert it"

But no amount of reinserting seems to make a difference.

When I access it with the "disk info" tab, the message is " no writable media"

The disk holds a working copy of Knoppix 7.0.1 liveDVD, and is viewable and navigable under W2K. Unfortunately, I don't have a Windows app installed with which to blank it, nor does there seem to be another app in Lupupluslibre for blanking a DVD.

Is there a pet or a lupu-compatible deb package I could install to do this? The disk has barely been read half a dozen times since being burned, and has no visible blemishes.
otropogo@gmail.com facebook.com/otropogo

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#1843 Post by Flash »

Otropogo, what happens when you put the disk in the drive? I don't mean to be rude, but are you sure the drive is a DVD burner and that it is working? (Some drives, called combination drives, can burn CDs but only read DVDs.) What does Pburn say about it if you put in a blank DVD-R?

otropogo

#1844 Post by otropogo »

Flash wrote:Otropogo, what happens when you put the disk in the drive? I don't mean to be rude, but are you sure the drive is a DVD burner and that it is working? (Some drives, called combination drives, can burn CDs but only read DVDs.) What does Pburn say about it if you put in a blank DVD-R?
Good catch, Flash. I have several DVD recorders, and I had never had reason to suspect any of them might write only to CD. I burn with any of them rarely. And with the one in question most seldom of all.

The drive is a "Writemaster DVD Multi Recorder", its an external USB drive, and I'm not sure how or when I acquired it.

I tried the same two DVD+RW discs and a third Imation DVD-RW disc in a laptop in which I'd just blanked two of the above under Win7, and tried them again with Pburn 3.5.2 and then with 3.7.4, and both were displayed as writable then.

My apologies to Zigbert and the forum for this false alarm.

zigbert

#1845 Post by zigbert »

Version 3.7.5
See main post

Changelog
- Bugfix: Detect correct helpfile. (thanks to rodin.s)

gcmartin

Help in PBurn

#1846 Post by gcmartin »

Does PBurn have the capability to add a file/folder to the root of a multi-session DVD/CD?

If so, is there any instructions for doing so?

Thanks in advance

Jasper

#1847 Post by Jasper »

Hi gcmartin,

Re: PBurn. Yes, Does right clicking your choice(s) in the left hand pane work for you?

Alternatively, it may suit some users to put their folder(s)/file(s) in the archive directory and save immediately to the DVD/CD (because it may be easier to recover if anything were to go wrong) or on rebooting/closure.

My regards

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#1848 Post by Flash »

I just used Pburn to add a 1 GB directory full of pictures to the multisession Blu-Ray BD-RE I'm running Puppy from at the moment. When I rebooted, Puppy loaded just as always. After Puppy finished loading I clicked on the sr0 disk icon on the desktop to mount the multisession Puppy BD-RE disk in ROX. Everything was there as usual, plus the new "Pictures" directory I'd just added.

I can even add more pictures to the directory, by adding yet more "Pictures" directories to the BD-RE. When the disk is mounted in ROX, ROX only shows one "Pictures" directory, with the contents of all the "Pictures" directories on the BD-RE in it. IIRC, Windows Explorer does the same thing.

Super cool. :)

gcmartin

Clarification - Can PBURN add to an existing DVD ?

#1849 Post by gcmartin »

There is probably some more information I should have included in my post.

Scenario
Let's suppose I have booted my multi-session Puppy DVD that was originally setup using PBurn. Now I have (using @Flash's example), a folder of pics that I want to add, directly, to the existing booted mediathat is in the DVD.

Questions
  1. Can PBurn be used to do this?
  2. Is there PBurn instructions to add a folder to the existing DVD?
Thanks in advance for any assistance

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#1850 Post by Flash »

• 1. Yes.
    2. The instructions are in my post. :)
Don't mount the DVD, just open Pburn, navigate to the folder you want to add, click the + sign in Pburn's right pane (the folder should be all that's in Pburn's right pane,) then click Burn, telling Pburn to make it a multisession burn.

That's it. Try it with a rewritable DVD if you don't believe me. It even works with a multisession Puppy DVD that was created with Burniso2cd..

Shep

#1851 Post by Shep »

zigbert wrote:Version 3.7.5
See main post
zigbert, 3.7.5 has the same bug in Dpup Exprimo as does 3.7.4. http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 144#653144

I wondered whether it was something as simple as md5sum being handed the wrong argument by Pburn, so I tried md5sum -b and md5sum -t but md5sum output is identical for -b and -t.

otropogo

DVD blanking/burning problems with pburn 3.74/5

#1852 Post by otropogo »

Yesterday I downloaded the Knoppix 7.0.4 LiveDVD iso, in the hope of finding support for my recently acquired 64GB SDXC flash card, which is inaccessible in both LupuPlus and Knoppix 7.0.2, (in Lupu it is invisible, in Knoppix, it is shown, but can’t be mounted).

After successfully testing the 3.8GB iso’s md5sum, I placed an Imation DVD-RW/4X disk in the system’s burner and opened Pburn 3.7.4. The response was:
no disc inserted/ no writable media
After repeated attempts with the same result, I tried to burn the iso with burniso2cd, and found no obstacles there.

I burned at minimum speed, and Burniso appeared to conclude successfully,but couldn't verify the burn.

Assuming the write was unsuccessful, I then spent an hour(!) writing the 3.8GB iso to a class 10 SDHC card via USB2.0 so that I could try the burn again on a much slower desktop, under Puppy 5.2.8., in case the fault lay with my burner.

On the second desktop, I set Pburn 3.3.4 to blank the DVD. Unlike 3.7.4, Pburn 3.3.4 at least saw the disk, but still couldn’t blank it:
Command:
dvd+rw format -force /dev/sr0

OUTPUT:
BD/DVD+ - RW/ -RAM format utility by<appro@fy.chalmers.se>, version 7.1
-(failed to locate “Quick Format

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#1853 Post by Flash »

How old are these DVD burners you're using?

otropogo

#1854 Post by otropogo »

Flash wrote:How old are these DVD burners you're using?
There's no easy way to determine the exact age, the one under discussion is described by Pburn as a "TSSTcorpCD/DVDW".. It's in an external USB enclosure of different origin, so I can't see the manufacturing date without taking it apart. The front panel says "Writemaster DVD Multi". It may be eight years old or so, about the same vintage as my desktop.

The remarkable aspects of this experience are that:

1. pburn 3.7.4/5 cannot recognize a writable DVD-RW (or +RW) in this drive under Puppy, while Burniso2CD (how old is it now?) is able to burn a 3.8GB iso to the same disc without complaint.

2. the resulting burn is good enough to boot repeatedly without problems on two other PCs, one an ancient 500MHz Celeron, the other a three or four year old Toshiba laptop.

3. the Knoppix 7.0.4 LiveDVD burned by Burniso2CD to this disc was also good enough to enable a successful flash install to an 8GB microSD card in a Delkin USB3.0 card reader attached to the Toshiba via a Sabrent expressbus USB3.0 adapter - a process that took well over an hour!

4. the Writemaster burner in question also boots Puppy 5.2.8 for me every day, and often several times a day, but ONLY from a CD-R or CD-RW. Pmount is unable to mount any of the DVD-RW or DVD+RWs , including the Knoppix 7.0.4 LiveDVD successfully burned by Burniso2CD. And Pburn labels them all "no writable media inserted".

5. Pmount IS ABLE, however, to mount an older Knoppix 5xx LiveDVD burned to a DVD+R.

One possible wild card in all of this is that the DVD+RW and DVD-RW's tested MAY have been used at some time in a Toshiba consumer DVD Recorder to record tv programming off the air.

UPDATE: have now tested the same DVD-RW and DVD+RW discs with Pburn and Pmount in the Toshiba laptop's burner, and there they all appear as writable media, and the ones with date are mountable with pmount.

I have also tested them all under Knoppix 7.0.4 on the desktop with the USB burner, using K3B. K3B also shows no media in the drive when these DVDs are inserted, and Knoppix file manager shows no icon for them. So it appears that pburn is not alone in this functional lapse.

The intriguing fact remains that I burned 3.8GB of data onto one of these 'unwritable' discs under Puppy 5.2.8, using Burniso2cd, booted two other PCs with the resulting Knoppix 7.0.4 LiveDVD (several times) without issue, then installed Knoppix 7.0.4 to flash media from this same disc, and have now booted and run two PCs with this flash installation several times without incident.

Evidently, newer is not always better. And I do wonder why Pburn and k3b cannot match the performance of Burniso2Cd in this instance.

Clearly, there is nothing wrong with the way this burner writes to RW DVD's, as the Knoppix 7.0.4 LiveDVD was readable, writable, and bootable in two other PCs. The only explanation I can think of is that the desktop's Intel D865GLC motherboard has some issue with the burner that Burniso2cd manages to overcome.
Last edited by otropogo on Wed 03 Oct 2012, 04:41, edited 1 time in total.

jrb

pets won't install or untar(SOLVED!)

#1855 Post by jrb »

Hi Sigmund,
I've just downloaded Pburn 3.7.5 and the latest pfind and pfilesearch and none of them will install or untar. I've tried in Racy, Slacko and Dpup with pfix=ram, etc. and no luck. Other non-Ziggy .pets I have just downloaded are OK. Is it me or is something sinister going on? :?

Thanks, J
Last edited by jrb on Wed 03 Oct 2012, 01:08, edited 1 time in total.

jrb

.pet problem figured out

#1856 Post by jrb »

Its me again. Turns out I was getting incomplete downloads, and didn't think to check file size. :oops: I'm not sure why, downloaded with seamonkey in Dpup-Exprimo. Just tried going to http://www.meownplanet.net/zigbert/ in Racy5390 and the downloads worked fine and the .pets installed. YAY! :D

chrome307

#1857 Post by chrome307 »

@ zigbert

Does this application also support burning FLAC audio files?

If not, will this be possible in a future build?

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#1858 Post by Flash »

If you just choose to burn them as files, that is, as digital data, then Pburn should burn them just fine. It's up to the media player to recognize that they are flac files and do the right thing by them.

zigbert

#1859 Post by zigbert »

chrome307 wrote:@ zigbert

Does this application also support burning FLAC audio files?

If not, will this be possible in a future build?
It does

shinobar

burning dvd video fails on precise puppy

#1860 Post by shinobar »

burning dvd videos by pburn 3.7.5 on the precise puppy 5.4 fails.
The log of the last stage:
STAT: fixing VOBU at 32MB (145/162, 88%)
STAT: fixing VOBU at 35MB (161/162, 98%)
STAT: fixed 162 VOBUs
INFO: dvdauthor creating table of contents
INFO: Scanning /mnt/sda3/tmp/pburn-DVD/VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_0.IFO
ERR: no video format specified for VMGM
Executing 'genisoimage -dvd-video /mnt/sda3/tmp/pburn-DVD | builtin_dd of=/dev/sr0 obs=32k seek=0'
I: -input-charset not specified, using utf-8 (detected in locale settings)
genisoimage: No such file or directory. Failed to open VIDEO_TS.IFO
genisoimage: Can't open VMG info for '/mnt/sda3/tmp/pburn-DVD/'.
genisoimage: Unable to parse DVD-Video structures.
genisoimage: Could not find correct 'VIDEO_TS' directory.
genisoimage: Unable to make a DVD-Video image.
Possible reasons:
- VIDEO_TS subdirectory was not found on specified location
- VIDEO_TS has invalid contents
:-( write failed: Input/output error
The file /mnt/sda3/tmp/pburn-DVD/VIDEO_TS/VTS_01_1.VOB is created and plays with no problem by the gnome-mplayer.

No problem with the pburn 3.6.0 on the Lupu-528JP, based on the lupu-5.2.8.005 + Pmusic upgrade.
I installed pburn 3.6.0 on the precise puppy and got the same error with the pburn 3.7.5 the log shown above.
So, it may not the pburn version problem. I suspect some dependencies in the presice can be the problem.

EDIT:
The precise puppy 5.4 has the dvdauthor 0.7.0, whereas lupu has dvdauthor 0.6.14.
I extracted the /usr/bin/dvdauthor from the lupu-528P and coped on the precise puppy, and got SUCCESS to burn a dvd video.
I conclude the problem is the dvdauthor version 0.7.0 itself or the compatibility with the pburn.
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]