Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Thu 21 Aug 2014, 14:25
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware
How to use Multiwii com ports in Puppy 528?
Moderators: Flash, Ian, JohnMurga
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]  
bill516

PostPosted: Wed 15 Aug 2012, 07:38    Post subject:  How to use Multiwii com ports in Puppy 528?  

Hi all,

My problem is I cant see the com ports in the Multwii conf programme running under puppy 528.005.

For those of you that dont know Multiwii started out as a piece of software for flying multi rotor copters using Arduino boards Wii motion plus and Nunchucks as sensors, its got a bit bigger now. You can read all about it at http://www.multiwii.com/.

I can flash the multiwii programme to the arduino no problem but when I want to configure the sensors and things you have to use the Multiwii conf programme. I can do it all ok with windows but Linux is giving me grief, maybe because I'm not that clued up about Linux.

I have two types of Arduino pro mini and a mega 2560. The pro mini works ok using an FTDI cable and shows up in the dev/usb/tty0 or 1 but the mega 2560 has an onboard usb port and shows up as dev/usb/ttyACM0. I have been stumbling around trying things but I'm now at a loss. Checking my groups I get root, tty and lpadmin, I have chmod the ttyACMO and USB to give rwx for everybody (I'm the only user anyway) and thats as far as I have got.

So does anybody have an idea of what I need to do, to be able to see the comports in the MUltiwii conf.
bill516

PostPosted: Wed 15 Aug 2012, 08:36    Post subject:  

Sorted. I came across an article online about symbolic link comm ports.

Typed in ln -s /dev/ttyACM0 /dev ttyS8 and it linked the ACM0 to S8. Rebooted and the link was still thre.
Flash
Official Dog Handler

PostPosted: Wed 15 Aug 2012, 08:41    Post subject:  

Thanks. That looks like a pretty ambitious project. Keep us posted, will you?
bill516

PostPosted: Wed 15 Aug 2012, 10:38    Post subject:  

Not sorted, I switched off then switched on and the link was still there but it didn't work. I rm'd the link re-booted re-typed the link and the MWii conf found the com port. Off and on again MWii conf couldnt find the com port. I think I might need a UDEV rule but I haven't got a clue how to write one. Looking at all the examples on the web just makes my head spin.
Karl Godt

PostPosted: Wed 15 Aug 2012, 16:44    Post subject:  

bill516 wrote:
Not sorted, I switched off then switched on and the link was still there but it didn't work. I rm'd the link re-booted re-typed the link and the MWii conf found the com port. Off and on again MWii conf couldnt find the com port. I think I might need a UDEV rule but I haven't got a clue how to write one. Looking at all the examples on the web just makes my head spin.

First you need the name of the correct driver .
But udev rules can also be created to only change permissions of files ie /dev/nodes .

Check dmesg OR /tmp/bootkernel.log OR /var/log messages.

Linking /dev/ACM0 /dev/ttyS8 sounds difficult to me since most MOBO nowerdays maximum have one or two serial ports (/dev/ttyS0 and /dev/ttyS1) .

/dev/ACM0 in my Puppy is

/dev/input/ttyACM0
Code:
ls -l /dev/input/ttyACM0

Quote:
crw-rw-rw- 1 root root 166, 0 30. Aug 2002 /dev/input/ttyACM0

and creating it manually in /dev/ directory would be
Code:
mknod /dev/ttyACM0 c 166 0

so it does not become a dead link.
bill516

PostPosted: Thu 16 Aug 2012, 11:39    Post subject:  

I came across this site

http://www.joakimlinde.se/microcontrollers/arduino/avr/udev.php

which does exactly what I'm trying to do only the udev doesnt seem to work. I didnt put the Olimex AVR programmer in the udev as I dont have one just the line referring to the Arduino. If I type in the ln -s /dev/ttyACM0 /dev/ttyS5 or any other number above that I can see the linked port in the MW conf untill I reboot then its gone.
bill516

PostPosted: Sat 18 Aug 2012, 08:57    Post subject:  

Well that udev from the link I posted before seems to be working, but I dont know what I did to get it to do that. The only thing I have done is to place commas after each id part and place the ln -s command in the startup folder with a link to the file on the desktop. Whether this is a right and proper way to do things I dont know but it is doing what I need.
Page 1 of 1 [7 Posts]  
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Hardware
Jump to: