Manna OS 3.3 remaster of Slacko 5.6

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
oldyeller

#21 Post by oldyeller »

Hello everyone

I just uploaded the last build of Manna on Slacko 533

This is update2

I hope you will enjoy the book that is installed with this one. Sorry that it is bigger.

The next release will be a woof2 build on Precise. I am still working on the main build of Precise. Hopefully be done soon.

Cheers

eztuxer

#22 Post by eztuxer »

Here are the md5 :

Code: Select all

# md5sum manna.001.2.iso
4aadf02c50f070cd28694c4dbe0dd36b  manna.001.2.iso
# md5sum manna.001.iso
0ff5224eaa4398a3ea464b13fb83ca04  manna.001.iso
I'll download the lastest one later today.
Don't poop it down... Pup it Up !

eztuxer

#23 Post by eztuxer »

The same problems persist with e-Sword & Bible time.

# md5sum Manna.001.iso
c55ee35ea685d3e1784786e2c9a0256c  Manna.001.iso
I don't think wine is the cause because at least Bible time is Linux native.

Could Dual core support fail ?

I haven't tried frugal install.

Catch you on Monday...
Don't poop it down... Pup it Up !

oldyeller

#24 Post by oldyeller »

eztuxer wrote:The same problems persist with e-Sword & Bible time.

# md5sum Manna.001.iso
c55ee35ea685d3e1784786e2c9a0256c  Manna.001.iso
I don't think wine is the cause because at least Bible time is Linux native.

Could Dual core support fail ?

I haven't tried frugal install.

Catch you on Monday...
I have been doing frugal installs, I would install a bible in bibletime and 6 bible in e-sword. than I would open e-sword back open to see the bibles. than I did a save file and all of them where there in bibletime and e-sword.

I can not get it to do what is happening with you sorry.

loyal

Is it possible for me to makea thai version?

#25 Post by loyal »

Ole Yellow thats for what you re doing! I am a missionary in Thailand and have been working on what I call the Asia Html bible for 14 years. IT is simple take notes and an interface for self added notes from others. But I have begun to play with puppy but onlu as a user. Wondered if I could harness the power of linux and make a bible program that is thai interfaced as well as eventually other languages used in asia. What kind of trouble am I looking at getting into?

Loyal Jongrak (my Thai name)
Mahathtai Christin Center
SLUMkids (super lovely uniquely made kids)

oldyeller

Re: Is it possible for me to makea thai version?

#26 Post by oldyeller »

loyal wrote:Ole Yellow thats for what you re doing! I am a missionary in Thailand and have been working on what I call the Asia Html bible for 14 years. IT is simple take notes and an interface for self added notes from others. But I have begun to play with puppy but onlu as a user. Wondered if I could harness the power of linux and make a bible program that is thai interfaced as well as eventually other languages used in asia. What kind of trouble am I looking at getting into?

First do you want to use manna for this or create your own? Puppy does have other languages already in the os not sure about which ones.

Can you give me more information a what you really would like to do.

Do you have any programming knowledge?
Know anything about Linux?

Let me know what you know for me to help you.

Cheers

loyal

a thai version

#27 Post by loyal »

Ok I am finally where I can respond.

Answer your questions
1. I see manna as the place to do this as I am not a programmer. I am a missionary who saw a need 14 years ago and did what I could to answer the request of Chinese brothers with html and a little of javascript. That was a way to kep notes in a systematic way that had a chiense interface and bible.

Today I have added Thai since now I am in Thailand. I also started Korean since my better half is korean. Everythign is simple so that non-programmers can add to the system their own notes, others notes and reference works etc via a javascript enabled html docuemnt that is an index to a frame that allows three windows. Recently i added a place for journalling. Btu I tried a work on the java script to maek it better but something is broke. I never offically learned anything about computer languages. Its all learning via trying this and that and asking alot of questions - so many have been kind to me.

Why do I do this? Well at that time there was no free program that supported asian languages. Even today the bible program they have here with a thai bible is still for people who understand english. and sharing notes etc is something majority of pastors would not know how to do.

The Chinese brothers did not want to steal software as is common in China when I was there. I bit off more than I knew how to do but knew I was trying to help with what I could learn to do. (I know html 3.2 learned some 4)

Thats the story behind what I have done. When I saw bible pup I said hey this could be good. But how? So I thought ask.

I may be biting off more than I can chew but it would not be the first time. I was asked to do the web site for ACU missions department and I said yes. Then I went to ask my friend who is a guru what a web page was. I am not afraid to learn if God can use it.

Sorry my daughter is sick. I must be daddy. I waited 34 years for this gift from heaven!

oldyeller

#28 Post by oldyeller »

Hi loyal,

Let me run some test this weekend and I will post my results.

sorry to hear about your daughter.

oldyeller

Re: Is it possible for me to makea thai version?

#29 Post by oldyeller »

loyal wrote:Ole Yellow thats for what you re doing! I am a missionary in Thailand and have been working on what I call the Asia Html bible for 14 years. IT is simple take notes and an interface for self added notes from others. But I have begun to play with puppy but onlu as a user. Wondered if I could harness the power of linux and make a bible program that is thai interfaced as well as eventually other languages used in asia. What kind of trouble am I looking at getting into?

Hi Loyal

I have looked into it and the Momanger in puppy might be the way to go. All the work is not going to be easy,

I have started a thread here to get you and I help on this.http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=80550
Lord willing we can get you a Thai lang puppy in a few weeks maybe. I am learning woof the puppy builder so I can do Manna as a build and not a remaster.

Cheers

arcanis

#30 Post by arcanis »

Did you get a new optical drive yet? I'm just next door (Ohio) so there's some chance I can get one to you soon if you really need it...I believe in what you are doing.
On another note: :?
Something very strange is happening with my download of Manna001...Except for the splash screen and the file manager assuring me that this ISO file is indeed 461MB, all I have is Slacko 5.3.3.
I verified the md5's, and even burned the image three seperate times in case I had a bad disc or I had inadvertantly clicked on the wrong ISO file before burning, but it still turns out to be Slacko5.3.3 with a Manna OS splash.
There are no Bible programs at all anywhere, no option to change to the IceWM, nothing.
It probably would not change anything, but I feel I should tell you that I downloaded from Firefox14.01 runnning in Slacko 5.3.3 frugal but saved to the partition, used Pburn to burn the disc(s) and then I had to boot using VESA for X because I need the proprietary driver for Slacko to use my RadeonHD 6570 graphics card. In my somewhat panicked state I briefly imagined that installing it to HD, downloading the ATI driver and changing it over would make the image become Manna OS-- just like magic.
But I doubt it.
Ever hear of anything like this before now? I can't imagine what's going on...

oldyeller

#31 Post by oldyeller »

arcanis wrote:Did you get a new optical drive yet? I'm just next door (Ohio) so there's some chance I can get one to you soon if you really need it...I believe in what you are doing.
On another note: :?
Something very strange is happening with my download of Manna001...Except for the splash screen and the file manager assuring me that this ISO file is indeed 461MB, all I have is Slacko 5.3.3.
I verified the md5's, and even burned the image three seperate times in case I had a bad disc or I had inadvertantly clicked on the wrong ISO file before burning, but it still turns out to be Slacko5.3.3 with a Manna OS splash.
There are no Bible programs at all anywhere, no option to change to the IceWM, nothing.
It probably would not change anything, but I feel I should tell you that I downloaded from Firefox14.01 runnning in Slacko 5.3.3 frugal but saved to the partition, used Pburn to burn the disc(s) and then I had to boot using VESA for X because I need the proprietary driver for Slacko to use my RadeonHD 6570 graphics card. In my somewhat panicked state I briefly imagined that installing it to HD, downloading the ATI driver and changing it over would make the image become Manna OS-- just like magic.
But I doubt it.
Ever hear of anything like this before now? I can't imagine what's going on...
Do you have slacko on your computer with a savefile? I am downloading the iso and will check it out, That is the only thing that I can think of is that it is using the savefile of another install of slacko. Let me know if that is the case.

It also should be 462mb.

Edit: I just got done downloading and a frugal install and all was good. Check to make sure Manna is not using a slacko savefile from another install.

arcanis

#32 Post by arcanis »

I will try the pfix=ram at boot, but I really don't think that it could be picking up the savefile (entire partition) since: 1)The default Slacko 5.3.3. wallpaper was in place, and not the one I got from Desktop Nexus; 2) I use Firefox, and the default Seamonkey was the only browser evident; and, 3) I watched the CD boot-up and no line saying a personal file was being loaded was displayed.
I'll keep you posted.

"Things happen to you, Russell." That's what my wife says.
"Things. Extraordinary things. Things that don't happen to other people so often happen to you. Don't be surprised --just add a little extra time, that's all."

oldyeller

#33 Post by oldyeller »

arcanis wrote:I will try the pfix=ram at boot, but I really don't think that it could be picking up the savefile (entire partition) since: 1)The default Slacko 5.3.3. wallpaper was in place, and not the one I got from Desktop Nexus; 2) I use Firefox, and the default Seamonkey was the only browser evident; and, 3) I watched the CD boot-up and no line saying a personal file was being loaded was displayed.
I'll keep you posted.

"Things happen to you, Russell." That's what my wife says.
"Things. Extraordinary things. Things that don't happen to other people so often happen to you. Don't be surprised --just add a little extra time, that's all."
The reason I think that it is a save file is 1) jwm is not in manna, 2) there is no other back grounds of puppy or any thing else but what I have put in. I did use firefox 14.01 and I still got Manna.001 at 462mb. In the last two days I have downloaded 3 times and did frugal installs of Manna.001 update 2.

In reality I did two frugals and updated Manna.001 update 1.

Hopefully everything will be ok just let me know.

arcanis

#34 Post by arcanis »

Problem solved.
I took a nap and 'slept on it,' and the answer hit me when I woke up. It could have been the Lord, and it could have been the natural problem solving abilities of the subconscious...I leave that to you.
BUT the thing is this: All of us experienced Puppy users know that you get a choice at the end of a live session to save the "Puppy_version_xx.sfs" main file to HD at shutdown, to speed up the boot process. Ergo, the live CD was finding the "Puppy_Slacko_5.3.3.sfs" file on the HD and mounting it instead of the file on the CD. It did not find a savefile because I opted not to save into a folder but rather to save to an entire partition.
But the result was a pristine Slacko experience instead of the modified Manna OS experience I was looking for.
Now I am going to install this OS into its own partition, and begin using it for my Bible studies.
Thank you.
BTW, you didn't answer my first question: Did you get an optical drive? Are you coming to the Ohio Linux Fest? My wife and I could take a drive to Indiana and bring you one and you could accept it as a donation to a Linux developer or a donation to the Lord's work, as you chose.
We live in Columbus, and we have access to Micro Center's main store, where we can get an optical drive rather cheaply.
PM me if you prefer to answer in that way.

loyal

hi Loyal Wow look at the responses!

#35 Post by loyal »

I am so happy to see responses. Sorry I connect only once a week. I want to keep my focus on the mission.

Ok first as I told Oldyeller I know some html and javascript.
So I may say some really dumb things
But I am not afraid to learn if it can help teh family of God.

Some questions:
If manna is in percise that means it can use ubuntu deb files correct?
If so can you use the lanuage packs from debian?
Then have available many lanngauges interface as far as teh linux system or am I hopeful and dreaming?

Some translations
I have some translation done as I speak Thai. The asia html bible has these translated:
bible books names, chapter, notes, articles, references, songs, and a half way done interface for a new section VBS (various bible studies) ITs a topical listing of bible topics.
I have translation in thai, KR, Lao, some JP and CN.
It is in html. Would that help?

Another Question
How much trouble would it be to add my files for the thai Christians. Its quite big I dont think I'd want to put it inside puppy since it is more than a DVD. Since it is html it runs in puppy. (but i only played with English as I still cant figure out how to install Th in puppy - but I will figure that out. As someone said it is not latin based so it is trouble so is KR, JP and CN. almmost all asian languages are a challenge.

Ive got a bible study. Got ot run
Thanks for all the response and especially oldyeller.

Loyal

oldyeller

#36 Post by oldyeller »

Hello loyal,

Manna is not in Precise yet, it is built upon slacko 533. It will be in precise once Barryk has his done so I can redo woof to build it.

There is a language pack sfs by shinobar .http://shino.pos.to/party/bridge.cgi?puppy/opt/ it does work on Manna you will need the devx for slacko 533. It has the Thai lang in it.

There will be alot to do in Manna the way it is since there is a lot of extra stuff installed.

Don't forget to take a look here http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=80550

shinobar might be able to help you do this pm him and ask.

Cheers

oldyeller

#37 Post by oldyeller »

Hello Everyone,

I finally compiled my very first app and it does work :D :D :D :D

Get it Here fluxbox-1.3.2.i486.pet It is 1.7 mb not sure on how to make it any smaller

would not have done this, but I got my wife to actually use puppy. So she wanted flxubox after seeing it on my computer. So today I did it.

It take a while, but I was able to get it done. It has been tested on two machines.

When using fluxbox and installing programs you will have to refresh the menu using the fluxbox menu refresh-menus. It ony has 3 styles to chose from.

Enjoy

pchan

Bible with highlighting features

#39 Post by pchan »

Hi,

Does anyone know if there is a good free Bible with highlighting features?

I find it hard to not make highlighting on verses that are important or inspiring or enlightening whenever I read a Bible.

Would really appreciate if anyone can point me to where i can get a free Bible for puppy linux that allows readers to make highlighting of verses.

Thanks!

oldyeller

Re: Bible with highlighting features

#40 Post by oldyeller »

pchan wrote:Hi,

Does anyone know if there is a good free Bible with highlighting features?

I find it hard to not make highlighting on verses that are important or inspiring or enlightening whenever I read a Bible.

Would really appreciate if anyone can point me to where i can get a free Bible for puppy linux that allows readers to make highlighting of verses.

Thanks!
First off Welcome to Puppy.

theWord bible program in Manna allows you to highlight on the verses you want. Sometimes it does depend on the version of wine being used, because e-sword did with an earlier version which I might go back too.

Manna will be hopefully one day soon a fully bibleprogram OS It is just taking a lot longer than I wanted it to.

Cheers