How to transfer data between two Puppy computers?

Using applications, configuring, problems
nubc

#1 Post by nubc »

I have to move hard drives around to make the best use of a 500 GB Maxtor I recently acquired. I would like to install the hard drives and then connect to my main computer and transfer data to the new hard drive on the computer with the 500 gig hdd. What kind of hardware do I need to transfer data live between these two computers, presumably by USB.

rcrsn51

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

You need to explain this more clearly. How many hard drives are you talking about? Where are they located? Are you talking about using an external USB-hard drive adapter?

Are these machines on a network?

Barkin

#3 Post by Barkin »

nubc wrote:I have to move hard drives around ... transfer data to the new hard drive on the computer ... What kind of hardware do I need ...
A HDD dock / caddy / enclosure ? ...

http://www.amazon.co.uk/SHARKOON-QuickPort-Combo-SATA-Device/dp/B00327HTD4/ref=pd_sxp_grid_i_1_1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/IT-735-Enclosure-External-Tool-free-Assembling/dp/B000V8KQE6/ref=pd_sim_ce_2

jafadmin

#4 Post by jafadmin »

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#5 Post by Lobster »

If the hard drives can be connected to one computer, then you can see both of them in rox and highlight files and drag them into a second rox window. I would do this several directories at a time, rather than all at once.
Then put the second drive into the second computer. :)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

nubc

#6 Post by nubc »

The two PCs would be connected to a common router on a network. What would happen if i connect two live PCs with a simple USB cable and try to see the other computer? There exists a data-transfer USB cable which has a physical buffer in the middle of the cable. I believe I have one of these special cables, if that is required. I am familiar with connecting drives for local data transfer, then disconnecting and installing in another computer. I am actually trying to avoid that technique, for the purpose of this project. What I had in mind was something like Aloha Bob's PC-Relocator. There are two hard drives in each computer. The source computer has two drives with ext2 file system. I am considering a FAT file system for the data drive of the target computer.

If I'm on a network, couldn't I "SSH" from one computer to another? I'm not at all familiar with SSH file transfer (SFTP), and the whole client-server setup/config.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#7 Post by Flash »

The USB-to-USB thing sounds intriguing. My guess is, it would be slow compared to Ethernet (LAN) connection. It would be interesting to compare the two for actual performance, not salesman's performance.

L18L

#8 Post by L18L »

nubc wrote:The two PCs would be connected to a common router on a network.
Then you can use ssh or samba or ...

rcrsn51

#9 Post by rcrsn51 »

nubc wrote: There exists a data-transfer USB cable which has a physical buffer in the middle of the cable.
These cables have been discussed here before. Their problem is a lack of Linux software.
If I'm on a network, couldn't I "SSH" from one computer to another? I'm not at all familiar with SSH file transfer (SFTP), and the whole client-server setup/config.
There are a number of ways to share files between Puppy machines. One simple method is Samba-TNG. Since you have full installs, you may need to change the share location to something other than /mnt/home.

ndujoe1

How to transfer data between to puppy computers

#10 Post by ndujoe1 »

A friend of mine got one of those usb - usb data transfer cables. It works but like other posters have said it is slower than other means.

nubc

#11 Post by nubc »

This should probably be another topic, but I would like to briefly discuss file transfer between a FAT-formatted thumb drive and ext2 hard drive. I moved a downloaded file from a NTFS hard drive to a FAT-formatted thumb drive. Then I transferred this file from the FAT thumb drive to an ext2 hard drive. All went well. To save space, I then tried to delete this file from the FAT thumb drive, using Puppy full-installed on the ext2 drive. It didn't delete properly, and left an inoperable ghost file on the thumb drive. Can someone suggest why this happened, and how to fix it?

nubc

#12 Post by nubc »

A logistics question. Currently, the computer I am upgrading has two hard drives, both 250 GB. I am going to replace one drive with the 500 GB drive. I use the computer almost exclusively to store music and to play back music files. Ideally, should the operating system be on the newer 500 GB drive or on the 250 GB hard drive? I am inclined to put Puppy on the 500 GB drive for quicker access to data. Also this leaves open the possibility of replacing the 250 GB storage drive with a 500 GB drive (larger storage drive) when that day comes. I dunno, does anyone who stores data have an opinion on this?

What about the file system on an internal data drive? Currently, both drives are ext2, so it's a bit like a RAID of two drives. I can't see why I would want to make the internal storage drive FAT, when I am constantly shuffling folders between drives. I keep movies, complete CDs and DVDs, and other large files on the storage (data) drive.

rcrsn51

#13 Post by rcrsn51 »

nubc wrote: I moved a downloaded file from a NTFS hard drive to a FAT-formatted thumb drive. Then I transferred this file from the FAT thumb drive to an ext2 hard drive. All went well. To save space, I then tried to delete this file from the FAT thumb drive, using Puppy full-installed on the ext2 drive. It didn't delete properly, and left an inoperable ghost file on the thumb drive
You may have to reformat the thumb drive to clean it up.

Then try to reproduce the episode. But this time, do a "sync" after the transfer from NTFS to FAT.

Sylvander

#14 Post by Sylvander »

1. "does anyone who stores data have an opinion on this?"
(a) I like to keep data files on HDD's in external enclosures [USB connected]...
With [Puppy OS] pupsave files held on a SMALL dedicated internal HDD.
[I boot "live" Puppy CD-RW disks]
With the arrangement I liked best [on my old, now dead, PC], I had 2 old 10GB internal HDD's; one holding Windows, the other held pupsaves for 7 Puppies.
I no longer use Windows.
(b) My brand-new PC has a 250GB internal SATA HDD, and I really don't like it being that big.
Don't need that much space on an internal HDD, since I've no intention of storing data files internally.
I'd like to use a small/FAST SSD internally, but they're too expensive right now.
(c) I have 3 external HDD's, only 2 in use so far;
The smallest has a spare 80GB PATA HDD in it [holds my important data files]...
The spare has a spare 80GB PATA HDD in it.
The biggest is 1TB SATA [too big], and holds backups of the smaller drive.
I need a clear strategy, but this is the best I've come up with so far.

vektor_alian

#15 Post by vektor_alian »

There is also Pupserver 435 from archive.org