How to print pictures with Gimp in Slacko? [Solved]

Booting, installing, newbie
chekrout

How to print pictures with Gimp in Slacko? [Solved]

#1 Post by chekrout »

I need a little help with my gimp 2.6.6 . It is not sending content to my printer when I select 'print' although the printer does start up and prints a blank page. I searched pet dependencies and 3 missing Libs were listed ( libwmf-0.2.so.7 , libpoppler-glib.so.3 and libaa.so.1) Is installing one or all of these what it takes? They are called plugins on the missing dependency list. (yes, printer has ink and prints docs)
Last edited by chekrout on Sun 17 Jun 2012, 12:49, edited 1 time in total.

rcrsn51

#2 Post by rcrsn51 »

What Puppy are you using? Where did you get the Gimp package?

It may be less trouble to save your work as a JPG or PNG and print it with PeasyPrint.

chekrout

#3 Post by chekrout »

rcrsn51 wrote:What Puppy are you using? Where did you get the Gimp package?

It may be less trouble to save your work as a JPG or PNG and print it with PeasyPrint.
I am using slacko5.3.1 , got gimp from my desktop 'slickpet' I don't have peasyprint or can't find it. It loolks like a handy thing to have for camera pics. I still would like to be able to print from Gimp though.
Last edited by chekrout on Fri 15 Jun 2012, 14:21, edited 1 time in total.

rcrsn51

#4 Post by rcrsn51 »

Follow the link in blue I posted above.

aen

GIMP Printing

#5 Post by aen »

I've been using GIMP for years and have not experienced this issue.

When you select "print" from the menu, do you get a pop up window which allows you to set up the parameters for printing? In this menu, you have under the General Settings, a place to select your printer, or to print to file. This may be your problem... it may be printing to a file by default.

Also, check the rest of the settings to further fine tune your printer, paper, etc.

Now, if you do not get the pop up window, I would delete your original GIMP and re-install it to see if that solves the problem.

chekrout

#6 Post by chekrout »

rcrsn51 wrote:Follow the link in blue I posted above.
Ok I installed peasyprint 2.0 and will ry it out. Still need too get the Gimp printing...need it's heavy duty features :wink: .

rcrsn51

#7 Post by rcrsn51 »

chekrout wrote:Still need too get the Gimp printing...need it's heavy duty features
I checked myself in Slacko and it definitely doesn't work. Even Print Preview and Print to File make a blank page.

chekrout

#8 Post by chekrout »

rcrsn51 wrote:
chekrout wrote:Still need too get the Gimp printing...need it's heavy duty features
I checked myself in Slacko and it definitely doesn't work. Even Print Preview and Print to File make a blank page.
I may just uninstall it and try another. don't want to fool with those three missing libs :roll: thanks for the help

chekrout

Re: GIMP Printing

#9 Post by chekrout »

aen wrote:I've been using GIMP for years and have not experienced this issue.

When you select "print" from the menu, do you get a pop up window which allows you to set up the parameters for printing? In this menu, you have under the General Settings, a place to select your printer, or to print to file. This may be your problem... it may be printing to a file by default.

Also, check the rest of the settings to further fine tune your printer, paper, etc.

Now, if you do not get the pop up window, I would delete your original GIMP and re-install it to see if that solves the problem.
i get the window and all is in order. :(

chekrout

#10 Post by chekrout »

Found the solution. I uninstalled Gimp 2.6.6 and installed ver. 2.7.2 now it works correctly and prints correctly :D

Henry

Can't print from Gimp-2.7.1-w5 (and others)

#11 Post by Henry »

Nothing appears in the print preview and nothing is printed but the printer gives me a blank page.

I know - this is an "unstable" release, but it came with my package manager for RacyNop-5.2.2, and it does everyting I want except print. Including the new direct text input and single screen. Who knows when Gimp-8 will actually emerge or whether it will work for me when it does . . . Why am I using RacyNop - don't ask; I do have good reasons.

I've tried all the Gimp-7s I can find and they all need files that I can't find. Example:

Code: Select all

# gimp
(gimp:2367): GLib-WARNING **: goption.c:2132: ignoring no-arg, optional-arg or filename flags (8) on option of type 0
** Message: Module '/usr/lib/gegl-0.1/ff-load.so' load error: [b]libavformat.so.52[/b]: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
This is a development version of GIMP.  Debug messages may appear here.
In this case it's libavformat.so.52 I can't find.

I also tried Gimp-2.7.2 as noted just above, both .pet and .sfs with comparable results but I don't remember the missing files.

Yes, there are lots of workarounds, like peasyprint, printoxx (fine programs), LO-Impress, etc. but i really am used to printing directly from Gimp. So humor me if you have suggestions. Thanks!

rcrsn51

#12 Post by rcrsn51 »

This may be a case of Gimp wanting CUPS 1.4 instead of your 1.3.11.

Henry

#13 Post by Henry »

Thanks, rcrsn51,

Actually I've been using Cups-1.4.4 for a long time since it was at one point needed for LibreOffice.

An earlier Gimp-2.6 printed fine then with QuirkyNop-1.2, so it may be a Racy deficiency.

rcrsn51

#14 Post by rcrsn51 »

If you look in /usr/lib, you will see libavformat.so.53. So you need a symlink

ln -s libavformat.so.53 libavformat.so.52

Henry

#15 Post by Henry »

The symlink took, but the terminal message and print symptoms look the same.

EDIT: No, there's a broken link at

/root/libavformat.so.52

# gimp

(gimp:11897): GLib-WARNING **: goption.c:2132: ignoring no-arg, optional-arg or filename flags (8) on option of type 0
** Message: Module '/usr/lib/gegl-0.1/ff-load.so' load error: libavformat.so.52: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

# 
I tried installing gegl-0.1.2-q1 and gegl-0.1.2-w5. No difference.

/usr/lib/gegl-0.1/ff-load.so
is present.

rcrsn51

#16 Post by rcrsn51 »

You need to run the command from INSIDE /usr/lib.

Henry

#17 Post by Henry »

Is this right?

# cd /usr/lib
# gimp

(gimp:2819): GLib-WARNING **: goption.c:2132: ignoring no-arg, optional-arg or filename flags (8) on option of type 0
** Message: Module '/usr/lib/gegl-0.1/ff-load.so' load error: libavformat.so.52: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

# 
See the edit to the previous that there is a broken link at

/root/libavformat.so.52

rcrsn51

#18 Post by rcrsn51 »

The link needs to be in the folder /usr/lib NOT in /root.

You need to open a console INSIDE /usr/lib and type the ln command again.

Henry

#19 Post by Henry »

Sorry I'm a bit thick-headed. I deleted the broken link in /root and hopefully put the link in correctly this time.
Problem still the same.

This is what I see in /usr/lib.
Thanks very much for your patience. It's getting late - more so for you!
Attachments
usr-lib.png
(25.3 KiB) Downloaded 481 times

rcrsn51

#20 Post by rcrsn51 »

The only other thing I can suggest is that you go into another Puppy like Lupu and get the real libavformat.so.52.