Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 - Updated ISO Version 005 - APR 05 2012

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
Sylvander

#2081 Post by Sylvander »

bigpup wrote:Maybe Three headed Dog would work better. It has a newer kernel.
Still Lucid 528.
Tried it and it didn't work...
Unable to find the SFS file. :(

kevin bowers

Trouble with f-prot--SOLVED

#2082 Post by kevin bowers »

Thought I might have an infection in the Windows install on this computer (dual-boot with LuPu 528.005), so I found f-prot in Puppy Package manager. Installed it but it will not run the update function. I think it is because it's too old, and the installed license key is expired. Went to f-prot.com and downloaded their latest Linux version, followed their (very simple) installation instructions, and it worked fine. Unfortunately the problem turned out to be a failing hard drive causing Windows to misbehave, and f-prot can't repair that. Is there a utility in Puppy that will read SMART hard drive status? Ubuntu's disk utility finally found this problem, will it run in Puppy?

@Sylvander, a point that seems to be missed: as far as I know, LuPu has no form with a "PAE" kernel. I recently built a new computer so my lady will have less problems running Facebook games, and that means LOTS of RAM--and LuPu won't support more than about 4GB. Slacko has a PAE version as well as the newer "normal" kernel, and FarmVille et al. run much better on it. And Playdayz has that collection of "lupufy Slacko" stuff!

Sylvander

Re: Trouble with f-prot--SOLVED

#2083 Post by Sylvander »

kevin bowers wrote:@Sylvander, a point that seems to be missed: as far as I know, LuPu has no form with a "PAE" kernel....LuPu won't support more than about 4GB.
I'm aware of that, so didn't miss the point. :D
This new PC only has 4GB of RAM so far.
I have anther 4GB of 1333 DDR3 sitting here spare/unfitted.

kevin bowers wrote:Slacko has a PAE version as well as the newer "normal" kernel,
(a) I have the PAE version ISO downloaded, and have asked some questions regarding this at the Slacko thread, but so far no reply. :(
i.e. Will the PAE version update OK, the slackosave file for the ordinary Slacko version, or do I need to keep the PAE version from finding the old slackosave?
(b) I tried to modify the ISO to include the config setting pmedia=ataflash, but the ISO would not mount.
Any idea why?
If you do, could you answer in the Slacko thread?

playdayz

#2084 Post by playdayz »

@Sylvander, a point that seems to be missed: as far as I know, LuPu has no form with a "PAE" kernel....LuPu won't support more than about 4GB.
3.2 GB max I think actually. Another alternative is Fatdog 64 which will support big memory naturally.

Sylvander

#2085 Post by Sylvander »

playdayz wrote:Another alternative is Fatdog 64 which will support big memory naturally.
I have in use: FatDog64-600-Firefox.

radky

#2086 Post by radky »

[color=blue][b][url=http://www.smokey01.com/radky/PupMates.html]PupMates[/url][/b][/color]

rerwin

Update of USB mode switcher for wireless modems, etc.

#2087 Post by rerwin »

Playdayz, et al,
It has been 7 months since the last update of the mode switcher and its data base. This might be useful for those with modems that were not previously handled by the switcher. Please try this, to verify it has not regressed. Thank you.

The change log shows the newly added modems and other devices:
  • 20120812:
    Added devices: ZTE MF60, Vodafone K5006Z, Alcatel OT-X220D,
    Alcatel OT-X080C, TP-Link MA180, ZTE MF821D, Dymo LabelManager PnP,
    Onda MDC655, Option GI0643, WeTelecom WM-D300, China TeleCom CBP7.0,
    Linktop LW272/LW273, Nokia CS-11, ZTE MF190 (yet annother variant),
    Huawei E535; updated config for C-motech D-50 (16d8:6803); changes
    in "rules" file (interface number filters) to reflect recent reports;
    fix config for Novatel MC545 (1410:5059)
    20120531:
    Small but important fix for ZTE Blade phone
    20120529:
    Added devices: Telenet 3G dongle (T&W WU160), Nokia CS-21M-02,
    Telewell TW-3G HSPA+, ZTE MF637, TW-3G HSPA+, Samsung GT-B1110,
    ZTE MF192 (yet annother variant), MediaTek MT6276M, Tata Photon+,
    Option Globetrotter (Variant), Option iCon 711, Celot K-300,
    Hisense E910 EVDO Phone, Yota Router (Quanta 1QDLZZZ0ST2),
    K5005 Vodafone/Huawei, D-Link DWM-156 (Variant), Huawei E173
    (Moviestar), Onda MSA 14.4 (TIM Brasil); some target product ID
    additions; skip driver loading for some devices now supported by
    dedicated drivers; minor fine tuning and corrections
    20120120:
    Added devices: Air FlexiNet/StrongRising, BandLuxe C339, Celot CT-680,
    Huawei E353, Haier CE682, LG L-02C LTE, LG SD711, LG L-08C, LG L-07A,
    I-O Data WMX2-U, Option GI1515, ZTE A371B, ZTE MF652 (two Variants);
    reduced redundancies in parameters, resulting in smaller files;
UPDATE 2/20/2014: In response to a report that the 1.2.4 version cannot be downloaded, I have added the latest version of usb_modeswitch in the 1.2.x series. I have not stepped up to the new vesion 2.x.y series. The 1.2.7 version is included in lucid pup 5.2.8.6, which is available in its own thread. I am not documenting the additional supported modems, as this is a quick workaround for the download problem. Please report any problem with this new modeswitcher.
Richard
Attachments
usb-modeswitch-1.2.7-20131113-adapted-lupu528.pet
Wireless modem mode switcher as of 11/13/2013.
For all lupu528 and lupuplus528 installations.
(51.66 KiB) Downloaded 319 times
Last edited by rerwin on Fri 21 Feb 2014, 04:32, edited 1 time in total.

Sylvander

#2088 Post by Sylvander »

Are any of these devices USB wireless interfaces?

Pardon me if I'm displaying my ignorance. :oops:

rerwin

#2089 Post by rerwin »

Sylvander wrote:Are any of these devices USB wireless interfaces?
I cannot say "yes" or "no", but some could be. I say that because the mode switcher is for any hybrid device that initially appears as a cdrom containing a Win...s driver. If you have a USB wireless interface, you can check whether it is supported, by looking in /usr/share/usb_modeswitch/ for a file with a name beginning with your device's storage-mode hardware ID.

I believe that not all such devices require the switcher because, somehow, the usb-storage driver knows to make the switch.
Richard

don570

#2090 Post by don570 »

New version of puppy clock 0.5.2 has a 'World clock'

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=73168

otropogo

Pmount unmounts and renames flashcards saving pages with SM2

#2091 Post by otropogo »

Have run into a disturbing problem while saving web pages to flash card on the USB2.0 port under lupupluslibre with Seamonkey 2.11.

It most recently occurred while having several windows open in Seamonkey and saving by turns to two different folders on an SD card.

The save would fail with a message that the directory didn’t exist. And each time I would have to open pmount (because no new drive icon appears on the desktop), find the new name of the SD card, mount it, and do the save again. It's noteworthy that even when the drive is mounted under its new name, no drive icon appears on the desktop. This process continued relentlessly once started, renaming the card progressively from sdd1 to sdk1.

This problem is fairly recent, and I wonder if it’s due to the July update of SM to v. 2.11? The more serious issue is whether this is a symptom of unreliability in writes to flash media via Seamonkey 2.11? This is how I usually document my online purchases.

I've also noted a new problem with the SM2.11 password manager today. I usually save these passwords prior to doing an update (having lost some in the past) by displaying them from the tools/password manager menu, and then saving a screenshot to a flashcard.

I haven't done this in a while, so I don't know when the change might have happened, but SM 2.11 no longer allows me to view more than one URL's password at a time, making the screenshot technique rather impractical.

I looked at the Mozilla site for password saver add-ons, but the two I found are incompatible with v. 2.11.

I use Seamonkey almost exclusively for web browsing because of familiarity and relative simplicity of configuration. But now I'm wondering whether it's time to dump Seamonkey forever?
otropogo@gmail.com facebook.com/otropogo

futwerk

#2092 Post by futwerk »

new backgrounds.
Attachments
ja3,1wt3.png
http://www.mediafire.com/?7v1msw26s6chb
(149.04 KiB) Downloaded 2306 times
ja3,1wt2.png
http://www.mediafire.com/?7v1msw26s6chb
(155.08 KiB) Downloaded 2351 times

aarf

#2093 Post by aarf »

Battery app.
Battery icon says that all is fine and that it is charging but the battery is actually losing charge because the peripherals eg external harddrive, mouse are drawing more power than is being supplied. So end up with a flat battery crash when the charging cable is still pluged in!

Sage

#2094 Post by Sage »

Using the USB connector to charge? BK found it was a bad idea - cf his Blog. USB can only supply half-an-amp; it's not enough. Either use a powered USB hub, which still has shortcomings eg you've no idea where you are unless you stick a meter in circuit, even then some of the cables might have too big an iR drop, etc., etc. To be confident, use your chargers that came with the battery equipment, whether that be a mobile, laptop or peripheral. Never use battery kit unless it's unavoidable - you have 100A @240V available from the domestic ring, perhaps more - or less if the wife switches on the oven, drier and your Samsung larder fridge cuts in.

aarf

#2095 Post by aarf »

Hi Sage, not using a Usb charger. Using the original netbook charger from the wallplug into the netbook powersocket via extension cord. could be too much load from other users. will investigate a powered hub if problem persists. thanks. battery app code needs some refinement.

bigpup

#2096 Post by bigpup »

The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

aarf

#2097 Post by aarf »

jar files open in archiver when clicked

Code: Select all

java -jar microemulator.jar

will open operamini from kabatology.com in luci528
http://www.kabatology.com/01/22/how-to- ... -computer/
why? Secret. :wink:

Sage

#2098 Post by Sage »

Using the original netbook charger
Those things have a higher failure rate than bad caps! Perhaps due to bad caps?

aarf

#2099 Post by aarf »

Sage wrote:
Using the original netbook charger
Those things have a higher failure rate than bad caps! Perhaps due to bad caps?
had to search for bad caps :cry: http://www.badcaps.net/pages.php?vid=5
more inclined to suspect the power supply at present. had problems that I suspected were powersupply previously with previous equipment when in this hotel/region. will hold off taking remedial action till I move on. only using the external harddrive when the battery is full is not too bothersome at present.
previuos eeepc went through 3 chargers before it died. this current charger/equipment is less than a week old.

Sage

#2100 Post by Sage »

this ...(w.h.y.).... is less than a week old.
Didn't you hear? The old ones are best![/code]