Dpup Exprimo 5.X.3.4.12 with 3.4.2 kernel.

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
pemasu

#1021 Post by pemasu »

Thanks Jim1911. I will look into bibletime problem. I suspect that /etc/profile.d qt location definition has something to do with it. I remember removing it because the previous definition file interfered with aclocal when compiling with automake. I am afraid I didnt remember to fix it. It might be missing.

Just hunch. Little busy next days...lets see what I can do.

About mplayer - mplayer2. I think I switch to mplayer. I tested now...inspired by 01micko compiling mplayer using external ffmpeg which is in dpup 1.11 version from git. I have recent x264 and libvpx compiled from source. So....I want to see if my 1.2 - 1.3 Mb mplayer pet with external ffmpeg is good.
I havent compiled mplayer for a year now...so it will take some time before I have done my learning in ./configure and cpu tuning.
Last edited by pemasu on Fri 10 Aug 2012, 13:58, edited 1 time in total.

James C

#1022 Post by James C »

Downloaded and installed the latest Mplayer build (mplayer-svn09082012.pet) to the frugal install on my Athlon XP box.Plays everything in my video/audio comparison directory........ mp4,wmv,avi,mov,mpg,rm,flv and mkv as well as mp3 and ogg audio.So, looks good here. :)

pemasu

#1023 Post by pemasu »

Thanks James C. I have noticed that if your athlon XP box digests mplayer, then all the rest cpu`s is no problem. Lol.
So your report is encouraging. Also...it seems that media format coverage is good. My tests has been as good.

ssanubis

#1024 Post by ssanubis »

pemasu, I was wondering if there were any plans on adding a catalyst sfs files to your repo? You already have the "xorg high" and nvidia drivers is your repo, but not ati/amd. I ask because, for portability sake, having these as mountable/unmountable sfs is absolutely amazing. If not I would certainly appreciate some help in making one myself. I keep a verbatim 16 GB on my keychain and take it EVERYWHERE since I travel alot for work and I have recently started testing out dpup exprimo and so far I'm really diggin' it, but the lack have having all my video drivers as mountable sfs files is a bit of a turn off, lol.

pemasu

#1025 Post by pemasu »

Ati driver with its needed extra patching is a bit pain to compile. I have compiled ati/amd driver...but since my ati dual graphics does not work quite well, I dont use it. In fact I get often total freezing of my laptop when I try to load the fglrx.ko kernel module...I am bit reluctant to compile it. I need to do hard shutdown with power button and I fear my ext4 file system will suffer. I have so much important stuff that I try to avoid hard shutdown as much as I can.

So...I am afraid someone with better working ati graphics should do the job. But probably the need for manual patching gets the compiling more difficult for average user.

So...I could compile it....manually gather the installed stuff...make a pet of the result...but cant know if the result is good because I dont want to load it.

When and if ati makes the source 3.4.2 kernel compliant...it would be easier for people to compile it themself. That would be the recommended way. There is no ati driver automatic compile pet for puppies like there is Shinobar`s getnvidia pet which creates nvidia driver pet automatically.
If and when ati fglrx.ko kernel module can be compiled straight without manual patching process...there is hope that someone like Shinobar could create samekind ati driver automatic creation pet. I will follow if ati announces kernel 3.4.2 compliant driver and I will post the guide how to compile it yourself.

ssanubis

#1026 Post by ssanubis »

Alright, I guess it's something I'll just have to deal with for the time being. I do understand that ATI drivers have never been the easiest to deal with at times, and most systems I encounter are Intel, so the ones I come across that are ATI I will just have to endure the limitations. Most applications work fine with the open source drivers anyway, it's just when I feel like goofing off with games that they fall short, LOL. I appreciate the reply.

pemasu

#1027 Post by pemasu »

My trial with mplayer-svn using external ffmpeg. The size is so small I can attach it here.
As previous...if you test it and it works...you could post feedback.

irishrm

#1028 Post by irishrm »

pemasu:

Sorry to always having,as we say here "the bad word" but your latest mplayer didn't work for me. Again I had sound and a black screen. x11 works for me in vlc.

Could something like that be a factor in my case?

irishrm.

pemasu

#1029 Post by pemasu »

Irishrm. Sure you can change the default video output from xv to x11 in mplayer. Install this pet. It adds /etc/mplayer/mplayer.conf file which has vo=x11 (video output changed to x11 instead of default xv) as default video output. You can change it also as xv,x11,sdl in that file or whatever you want to test...I havent though enabled all possible video outputs. Just open the file and edit it...
mplayer.conf accepts tons of options
Attachments
mplayer-conf-for-x11.pet
(1.74 KiB) Downloaded 279 times

irishrm

#1030 Post by irishrm »

pemasu:

Glad to report success.

Your mplayer x11.pet worked. Sopcast and streamplay tv are now working.

Thanks for your Resistance.

If there is anything you want me to test please let me know.

irishrm.

pemasu

#1031 Post by pemasu »

Thank your Irishrm of your stubborn testing. I would like to know if you edit the mplayer.conf file to have vo=xv,x11
would it automatically find that xv output is not good for you and switch to x11
If it would switch and work that way...I could include mplayer.conf file to distro and one mplayer problem would have been fixed.

irishrm

#1032 Post by irishrm »

pemasu:

When I added xv mplayer reverted to the black screen. It also crashed the computer and I had to use ctrl/alt/backspace to re-start.

Just one other problem:

Mplayer opens in a small window. When I try to go to full screen I still get the small screen with a wide black surround.

Could I change the config file to get a proper full screen.

irishrm.

pemasu

#1033 Post by pemasu »

Irishrm. That is the problem with x11. Using xv is the solution I know. I think you have problem with your graphics in dpup exprimo. I suppose you use intel driver....I remember when i checked your sys-info report. That is the right driver for you, vesa driver could have created problems also, but you dont use it. So...I dont have more solutions atm.

edoc

#1034 Post by edoc »

Moved to 5x14 thread ...
Last edited by edoc on Sat 11 Aug 2012, 20:47, edited 1 time in total.
[b]Thanks! David[/b]
[i]Home page: [/i][url]http://nevils-station.com[/url]
[i]Don't google[/i] [b]Search![/b] [url]http://duckduckgo.com[/url]
TahrPup64 & Lighthouse64-b602 & JL64-603

irishrm

#1035 Post by irishrm »

pemasu:

I,m more than happy with the result. Mplayer is working and I learned a little along the way.

I am looking forward to trying out your next puppy project which I,m sure is already under way.

Thanks again for your help.
irishrm.

pemasu

#1036 Post by pemasu »

Irishrm. For vo=x11, you might benefit if you enable the commented line in mplayer.conf:
zoom=yes

irishrm

#1037 Post by irishrm »

pemasu:

Thanks for the suggestion.
As I understand things I think "zoom=yes" is already enabled?

See extract from config file:

# Start in fullscreen mode by default.
#fs=yes

# Change to a different videomode when going fullscreen.
#vm=yes

# Override the autodetected color depth, may need 'vm=yes' as well.
#bpp=0

# Enable software scaling (powerful CPU needed) for video output
# drivers that do not support hardware scaling.
#zoom=yes

# standard monitor size, with square pixels
#monitoraspect=4:3

# Use this for a widescreen monitor, non-square pixels.
#monitoraspect=16:9

# Keep the player window on top of all other windows.
#ontop=yes

irishrm.

pemasu

#1038 Post by pemasu »

Irisrm. No, it is commented out. You have to uncomment it. By removing that: #
#zoom=yes needs to be changed to:
zoom=yes

irishrm

#1039 Post by irishrm »

pemasu:

I'm afraid your dealing with a real nooby here (will the other nooby move over).
I should have known that.

I did what you said and I now have full screen.
Thanks for figuring that out for me.

irishrm.

Ray MK

#1040 Post by Ray MK »

Hi - been using Dpup Exprimo 5.X.3.4.2.9 with 3.4.2 kernel on the E732 and it really is good.

Very impressed with the new E17 Wman. and the background.

Had one unexpected crash with Firefox after downloading a pet.
When I tried to move the pet from download folder to USB Hdd drive for storage - FF crashed?

All ok since then.

Suspend/resume in 5x3429 and 5x15 all seem to be working as expected.
Broadcom wifi in both seems fine.

HDMI output seems to be activated in 5x3429 - need to get a cable or other device to test it on the LCD TV/monitor in the lounge.

Again - many thanks for a another super Puppy - very best regards - Ray
[b]Asus[/b] 701SD. 2gig ram. 8gb SSD. [b]IBM A21m[/b] laptop. 192mb ram. PIII Coppermine proc. [b]X60[/b] T2400 1.8Ghz proc. 2gig ram. 80gb hdd. [b]T41[/b] Pentium M 1400Mhz. 512mb ram.