Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Mon 15 Sep 2014, 00:19
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
What Do You Think?
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Page 2 of 2 [25 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
mini-jaguar

PostPosted: Sun 15 Jul 2012, 05:29    Post subject:  

One thing I could never figure out from your web site (it could be somewhere but I never found it) is what size your USB sticks are. It may be important, so if someone gets one, they could put a couple of songs or videos on there.

I would say at least 8 giga is good, 16 or 32 even better, although 32 is probably not cost effective to sell.

Another problem is people are going to stick to what they know: they refuse to use Linux, and would even rather fork out tons of money to get software they know, even if there are identical or almost identical equivalents.

Most people I know avoid Linux like the plague, and some would even much prefer pirated software.

I even know that lots of people refuse to use Gimp, and it's available for all major platforms.
Announcer

PostPosted: Mon 16 Jul 2012, 05:34    Post subject:  

greengeek wrote:
a one man team is inadequate when it comes to satisfying the needs of the user ... a team ... women ... need real humans to do the selling / marketing...

Could use a lot of things. A mailroom, for example. Do you think I like driving halfway across town to mail one usb stick to somebody, that I will actually lose money on? But I do it.

I suspect it's all been a foolish exercise, trying to create an open source-based product aimed at regular people / musicians. But it's a business built on the highest principles, and it would have been cool if it worked out.

Last edited by Announcer on Thu 19 Jul 2012, 03:28; edited 1 time in total
greengeek

PostPosted: Mon 16 Jul 2012, 16:02    Post subject:  

Announcer wrote:
I suspect it's all been a foolish exercise, trying to create an open source-based product aimed at regular people / musicians. But it's a business built on the highest principles, and it would have been cool if it worked out.

The product is genius. And the hours involved in it's development are easily recognised by those who understand the breadth of what has been achieved. I also commend you for persisting with the product, even though you are not getting commercial returns from it (yet).

HOWEVER - the marketplace is fickle. Joe Public does not generally attach the correct sense of value to any particular product. People buy what they PERCEIVE gives them what they want - they don't spend their money on the basis of real value.

In my experience getting commercial returns involves tapping into a "mass-market" - whether they understand the value of the product or not.
So - a question - has your product come to the attention of the mass market yet? I guess not. But what if you could trigger the enthusiasm of a large group of people who understood how this product could benefit them.

Let me give an example - your product would be welcomed amongst primary and secondary school students who would gain creative encouragement from being able to record, modify, produce and publish their preferred form of audio entertainment. But do they know about the product?? Is it possible for you to try and tap into the education market by contacting a local school or music teacher and offering a couple of sticks to selected students and encouraging them to thrash the capabilities of the product, and see what they can do?

Once it is in the hands of motivated and interested students they will be begging their parents to buy it for them. (and so will their friends..) At the price you have been asking the price barrier is very low and I would expect you would get sales.

There is a downside though - you have to be able to offer support. This is hard / impossible for a one man band. And it is the reason why this Murga forum has been so valuable for Puppy users - the collective conciousness solves problems more easily than a single developer can.

So would you see yourself as being able to work with other interested parties to offer a support network for this undoubtedly excellent product?
ciento

PostPosted: Tue 17 Jul 2012, 03:58    Post subject:  

mini-jaguar wrote:

Most people I know avoid Linux like the plague, and some would even much prefer pirated software.

I even know that lots of people refuse to use Gimp, and it's available for all major platforms.

From the price, you know its not a big stick. You would want
to use your hard disk as the recording destination in most cases.

You really might enjoy upgrading the people you hang with.
Windows ideologues Shocked pirates Sad gimpaphobes Razz
greengeek

PostPosted: Tue 17 Jul 2012, 05:11    Post subject:  

greengeek wrote:
your product would be welcomed amongst primary and secondary school students who would gain creative encouragement from being able to record, modify, produce and publish their preferred form of audio entertainment.

On re-reading my post I realise it might sound as if I am down-playing your product as being suitable only for young people - but that is not what I meant. I was just suggesting that tech products often become accepted first by young people, then become popular as word gets around. And young people are a significant target market as they grow into the Music / film / entertainment industry.

Take the Ipod / iphone / ipad as examples - they have huge appeal to a massive market - and that market appeal started with young people who liked the functions that these devices put into their hands.

I would suggest that one good way to get market traction might be to offer a couple of sticks free to a school as I suggested, and ask for feedback so that they have an opportunity to get a dialog going with you so that they get to grips with the functionality. Once they have started to enjoy what they can achieve, I am sure you will sell other sticks, and probably also have an opportunity to sell either your time (for tuition/coaching) or pdf tutorials etc. The profit from the software may then in fact be only a small part of the equation. (eg: 1 stick +$25, 1 stick + 2hr tuition = $90)

As the product becomes popular you would be able to step back from the tuition as the students then started to teach and prompt each other. The product and process then achieves a "critical mass" that snowballs. I imagine that a single college would have a large catchment of potential customers.

I just think the after-sale support is very important in the early stages. If you can try to answer every question that customers raise, they will have confidence that the product is worth spending time on. I hope you don't give up - the product is great.
Announcer

PostPosted: Tue 17 Jul 2012, 19:31    Post subject:  

greengeek wrote:
So would you see yourself as being able to work with other interested parties to offer a support network for this undoubtedly excellent product?

OK, I'll set up a support forum at LinuxQuestions.org.
greengeek

PostPosted: Tue 17 Jul 2012, 21:36    Post subject:  

...and it might be worthwhile offering the options of buying the product loaded to a 4Gb stick for twice the usual price or 8Gb for a bit more $ again (doesn't need to be branded with the special logo etc...). Obviously the save speed will be slower in most cases to usb than HDD, but for some people the extra usb storage might be a useful option.
Many people are happy to pay for an off-the-shelf solution in preference to doing too much fiddling themselves, and it is handy for non-techies to have someones brains to pick, so the support forum should be a good way forward.
Announcer

PostPosted: Tue 24 Jul 2012, 10:02    Post subject:  

Cool, there is now a Studio 13.37 forum at LinuxQuestions.org:

http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/studio-13-37-99/

Edited first post.
Announcer

PostPosted: Thu 09 Aug 2012, 10:23    Post subject:  

I had an idea for a sale, but on second thought, maybe not.
Last edited by Announcer on Fri 17 Aug 2012, 16:45; edited 1 time in total
greengeek

PostPosted: Sat 11 Aug 2012, 14:12    Post subject:  

Announcer wrote:
Just something I'm thinking about. Whaddya think?

<chuckle> Well.....I don't know about that. Business seems to go best when there's a mood of positivity...

Mind you - I can suggest one reason why Engadget "sucks" - and that is I didn't even know of their existence. And now having visited their website I can offer another reason too - their website is so busy/heavy that my browser goes into overload and my patience valve blows off.

Can't stand waiting and waiting for webpages to load...
Page 2 of 2 [25 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to: