Local hosting of webpage using Hiawatha.

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of networking hardware.
Pupnovice

Local hosting of webpage using Hiawatha.

#1 Post by Pupnovice »

Hi folks,

I hate to ask but I wonder if anyone can offer any networking advice?

I recently set-up hiawatha in Puppy 528 with a view to using one of my machines to host web-pages on my local wireless network. I am fairly sure the configuration of hiawatha is set correctly. But do I need to do anything else to puppy in order to make it a local web server?

My network consists of a wireless router which has a maximum of four systems connected to it via wireless networking. Each system will see the WAN (Internet) and each system will "ping" each other successfully at the local level.

The puppy machine running hiawatha will let me view my test page using localhost but when I fire up a second machine running puppy on the network to view the test page through a browser it says it will not connect. I have the firewalls switched-off on both systems for testing.

I have searched the internet for help on this one but I am still not sure where my problem is. Since the systems will ping each other this suggests they "see" each other at some basic level.

It has been suggested by someone local to me that I am wasting my time and that a basic broad-band home router is not capable of permitting local systems to talk to each other but I am not entirely convinced ;-)

Is it possible that I have to change any settings in the router itself? The manual for the router says the firewall is only between the WAN and LAN but does not give any clues about using the router for a LAN/Intranet.

Look forward to hearing any thoughts on this.

Regards,

Des (pupnovice)

John Doe

#2 Post by John Doe »

Probably you need to edit

/etc/hiawatha/hiawatha.conf

Code: Select all

Binding {
	Port = 80
	Interface = 127.0.0.1
	Interface = 192.168.1.xxx
}
where xxx = your address on the LAN

L18L

#3 Post by L18L »

Probably you need to edit /etc/hosts to your needs

127.0.0.1 localhost puppypc21142
192.168.1.1 pc2
192.168.1.2 pc3
192.168.1.3 pc4

Pupnovice

#4 Post by Pupnovice »

Hi John Doe, L18L & the list,

Thank-you both for your replies, it prompted me to re-check everything again step-by-step.

I found the problem after much head scratching and a few **** words :-)

When right clicking the firewall icon in the bottom right of my puppy server screen it would offer options to "Switch-on, Switch-off or Remove" the firewall. I had been switching-off the firewall but it seems that while the icon for the firewall had the "!" in a yellow triangle the firewall was still fully in operation!

So after taking the option to remove the firewall everything works just as it should. I can now look at pages on my own personal Intranet and download/play music files etc just like a regular web-page, great fun, LAN and WAN pages appear as requested. Even my wife was mildly impressed. I will now re-instate a custom firewall using the wizard for peace of mind though it is behind the routers own firewall.

The only "casualty" has been the loss of "localhost" and for some reason the only way I can see my own pages on the servers browser is by typing-in the local systems URL (192.168.1.33 in my case) but now I have it up-and-running I can play around with hiawathas .conf file etc and learn by experiment. What a great feeling when something finally works :-)

Thanks again guys and best wishes from here in the (currently) sunny UK.

Des (pupnovice)