Removing packages

Booting, installing, newbie
markling

Removing packages

#1 Post by markling »

Wary.

Trying to remove packages to save space. Running the 'remove builtin packages' utility brings up a long list of names that are largely meaningless to me. They don't seem even to correspond to the program icons on the desktop.

I tried running the package manager in the hope that I might find a list that mapped the package names in the 'remove builtin packages' utility to descriptions in english. But the package manager appeared not to list installed packages. At least, no matter what i selected, the 'installed packages' list was always empty, and searching for known installed packages (by their name in english, not their package name) produced nothing.

I have had some success manually going down the list of applications available from the run menu, identifying those I don't need, and then trying to find a corresponding package name from the drop down in the 'remove builtin packages' app. But this is not always possible.

For example, I can't find a package name that might correspond to Meebo. Neither can I find one for the Seamonkey email application. Of course, searching for something like 'meebo package name' in Google doesn't help.

It would have been helpful to have had the package names mapped to descriptions in english.

Hope this helps.

bigpup

#2 Post by bigpup »

How is Puppy installed?
Frugal or full?

The core programs that come installed in Puppy do not take up that much room.
Most of them are used by other programs, so do have to be careful what you try to remove.
Remove builtin packages works, but depends on how Puppy is installed, as to what it is really doing.

Is there some specific packages that you want to remove?

Yes, file naming in Linux takes some time to get use too.
For example, I can't find a package name that might correspond to Meebo. Neither can I find one for the Seamonkey email application.
Seamonkey email is built into Seamonkey, which is a internet suite (browser, e-mail, html editor)

Remove builtin packages help:
Attachments
remove builtin packages help.jpg
(47.47 KiB) Downloaded 369 times
Last edited by bigpup on Mon 06 Aug 2012, 19:13, edited 1 time in total.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

bigpup

#3 Post by bigpup »

Searching here will give you some posts talking about removing builtin packages.
http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

postfs1

#4 Post by postfs1 »

In -=Quirky Linux - 1.40=- Image

/root/.packages
/root/.packages/builtin_files

stu91

#5 Post by stu91 »

As bigpup says the space saved by removing applications is minimal.

Another option is to just move/remove the application .desktop files in /usr/share/applications you don't want - the applications will still be there but will no longer show up in your menus.