What directory do I extract SeaMonkey tarball to?

Booting, installing, newbie
Eric_R

What directory do I extract SeaMonkey tarball to?

#1 Post by Eric_R »

I downloaded the tarball for Seamonkey 2.11. I'm running Slacko 5.3.3. What directory do I extract the tarball to?

Dewbie

#2 Post by Dewbie »

The 1.x versions of SeaMonkey install in /usr/local/ by default.
Starting with 2.x, user decides where to install.

Monsie

What directory do I extract seamonkey tarball to?

#3 Post by Monsie »

Eric_R,

I am running SeaMonkey 2.11 in Wary Puppy right now in /usr/local/lib directory. This is because it is in addition to the default version of SeaMonkey that is included with Wary. While you do have some flexibility in terms of where to install the browser, I recommend that you include the /local directory to be on the safe side, and also because in past, (example: V-2.9.1) the seamonkey shell script looked for the SeaMonkey executable along the /local directory pathway.

Monsie
My [u]username[/u] is pronounced: "mun-see". Derived from my surname, it was my nickname throughout high school.

OscarTalks

#4 Post by OscarTalks »

If this is for doing an update then the tarball needs to be extracted to /usr/lib (or extract into /mnt/home and then move it afterwards), but before you do that you may want to rename the existing one in /usr/lib to something like seamonkeyold so you can restore back if you need to.
Oscar in England

Monsie

#5 Post by Monsie »

OscarTalks wrote:If this is for doing an update then the tarball needs to be extracted to /usr/lib (or extract into /mnt/home and then move it afterwards), but before you do that you may want to rename the existing one in /usr/lib to something like seamonkeyold so you can restore back if you need to.
Good point. Eric, if you are planning on replacing SeaMonkey 2.9.1 but want the option of being able to restore it, also backup your current .desktop file for SeaMonkey as well as a couple of shell scripts: defaultbrowser & mozstart because these may be overwritten also.

That said, the safer route is to install an updated version of SeaMonkey in addition to your existing version, rather than replace it... in my opinion.

Monsie

P.S. Please fix your typo in your subject heading, thanks.
My [u]username[/u] is pronounced: "mun-see". Derived from my surname, it was my nickname throughout high school.

dk60902

#6 Post by dk60902 »

Laie

#7 Post by Laie »

Only some hours ago I visited the Seamonkey website, downloaded the version that was offered there and unpacked it to the tmp folder. Then I renamed the folder usr/lib/seamonkey to old_seamonkey_old. At last I moved the new directory seamonkey from tmp to usr/lib. I started seamonkey and was happy.

Monsie

#8 Post by Monsie »

Laie,

The question I have is: Can you undo your changes and revert to your default version of SeaMonkey without experiencing any glitches, any problems? If you cannot, then this is the basis for my strategy for installing SeaMonkey somewhere along the /local directory path. From looking at the release notes of the previous versions of SeaMonkey this year, there appear to be fewer issues now with installing the browser.

Dewbie wrote a thread over here about how to install another version of SeaMonkey 2x in Puppy... possibly he can answer this question.

Monsie

Dewbie

#9 Post by Dewbie »

Monsie wrote:
Can you undo your changes and revert to your default version of SeaMonkey without experiencing any glitches, any problems?
I would imagine that could be done this way.
(If shinobar continues the SeaMonkey .sfs updates, that would be a much better solution than my method.)

dk60902

#10 Post by dk60902 »

I updated Seamonkey to 2.11 earlier today on my desktop with Slacko 5.3.3 frugal install. I created a directory "seamonkey2" in the root directory of my partition containing the frugal install. I downloaded the tarball to the seamonkey2 directory. I extracted it, and there was a new directory named "seamonkey". After opening the seamonkey directory, I dragged one of the icons (a gear shaped icon, can't remember the name as I'm on my Win7 machine) to the desktop. When I click on the icon, seamonkey launches. I replaced the gear shaped icon with another I downloaded. I do like the .sfs route as well.

The one issue is that I have the original Seamonkey 2.9.1 that came with Slacko, and probably should delete those files.
Last edited by dk60902 on Sun 19 Aug 2012, 04:44, edited 1 time in total.
HP Pavilion Mini Pentium 1.7 GHz Dual Core 12 GB RAM 120 GB SSD Linux Lite 3.8 64-bit w/ Kensington Slimblade Trackball
Bionic8.0 Xenial64 Tahr64 USB frugal install
Samsung Chromebook Plus
LG V20 LG Xpression Plus Huawei Ascend XT2

OscarTalks

#11 Post by OscarTalks »

@Monsie

You could undo the changes very easily by deleting the new folder and renaming the old folder back to seamonkey, but there is no need because the substitution method works OK. I have deleted the old folder now on both my computers running Slacko 5.3.3

@dk60902

The new version of Seamonkey may launch from the icon, but what about the menu entry? The various shell scripts in the Slacko 5.3.3 system point to that binary (the gear shaped icon) at /usr/lib/seamonkey/seamonkey so in order to have everything work all you need to do is download the tarball (to /root or /mnt/home or almost anywhere), go into /usr/lib and delete the folder (and contents) named seamonkey, then extract the tarball directly into /usr/lib (or extract it elsewhere and then move it into /usr/lib). As you say, extracting the tarball creates just the one directory called seamonkey which replaces the deleted one and contains everything for the updated version. After you have done that you can delete the tarball.
Oscar in England

dk60902

#12 Post by dk60902 »

OscarTalks wrote:@Monsie

You could undo the changes very easily by deleting the new folder and renaming the old folder back to seamonkey, but there is no need because the substitution method works OK. I have deleted the old folder now on both my computers running Slacko 5.3.3

@dk60902

The new version of Seamonkey may launch from the icon, but what about the menu entry? The various shell scripts in the Slacko 5.3.3 system point to that binary (the gear shaped icon) at /usr/lib/seamonkey/seamonkey so in order to have everything work all you need to do is download the tarball (to /root or /mnt/home or almost anywhere), go into /usr/lib and delete the folder (and contents) named seamonkey, then extract the tarball directly into /usr/lib (or extract it elsewhere and then move it into /usr/lib). As you say, extracting the tarball creates just the one directory called seamonkey which replaces the deleted one and contains everything for the updated version. After you have done that you can delete the tarball.
You're correct. The menu entry launches the old version. However, as I have a desktop icon, I always launch Seamonkey from that. I'll have to try your method. It sounds better from the way I did it.

Monsie

#13 Post by Monsie »

Interesting... OscarTalks, I am still wondering what happens to the browser shell scripts that I find in /usr/local/bin for my default version. At some point I will do some testing and give your method a try...
Dewbie wrote:Monsie wrote:
Can you undo your changes and revert to your default version of SeaMonkey without experiencing any glitches, any problems?
I would imagine that could be done this way.
(If shinobar continues the SeaMonkey .sfs updates, that would be a much better solution than my method.)
Dewbie, thanks for the info. I didn't realize that Shinobar had been working on SeaMonkey. Given a choice, this would appear to be the way to go...

Monsie

OscarTalks

Re: What directory do I extract seamonkey tarball to?

#14 Post by OscarTalks »

Monsie wrote: I am still wondering what happens to the browser shell scripts that I find in /usr/local/bin for my default version.
I don't think they are altered in any way by the folder substitution update method.

Open the scripts as text to see what they do.

You said you are using Wary so it may be slightly different, but in Slacko 5.3.3 :-

/usr/local/bin/defaultbrowser executes /usr/local/bin/mozstart which executes /usr/bin/mozilla which in turn executes /usr/lib/seamonkey/seamonkey

usr/bin/seamonkey is a symlink to usr/bin/mozilla which executes /usr/lib/seamonkey/seamonkey

the desktop file in /usr/share/applications executes /usr/bin/seamonkey

desktop icons will execute one of the above scripts

All roads lead to the main binary which needs to be at /usr/lib/seamonkey/seamonkey so if you have replaced the old folder with the newly extracted one you get the updated version.

I believe that with Wary / Racy you may also need to install dbus and dbus-glib from Puppy Package Manager.
Oscar in England

dk60902

#15 Post by dk60902 »

I deleted the seamonkey directory from usr/lib. I then downloaded the tarball to usr/lib and extracted it. There was a new seamonkey directory produced. However, when I launch seamonkey from the menu, it launches for a second or so and then crashes. Now sure why. I restored my savefile and left well enough alone. I have no problem launching from the desktop icon. If I launch from the menu, the old version, 2.9 comes up.

OscarTalks

#16 Post by OscarTalks »

To dk60902 and anyone else reading this.

A couple of points worth bearing in mind.

Download the tarball before deleting the folder.

Download the tarball to somewhere other than /usr/lib

You can specify /usr/lib as the extract destination in Xarchive even if the tarball is in /mnt/home or /root or /tmp or wherever, but if you extract in the same location as the tarball you then just have the one extra simple step of moving the folder to /usr/lib

If you do download the tarball to /usr/lib then make sure you delete it after you have extracted it. Best to delete it after extraction anyway wherever you have downloaded it to.

Renaming the old folder as a precaution rather than deleting is worth doing at first. One thing which can cause problems with browser updates is your add-ons. Depends which ones you have installed.

That red bar is horrible though, couldn't live with that.
Oscar in England

OscarTalks

#17 Post by OscarTalks »

Just taking a look at the Seamonkey situation in Wary 5.3
Interesting that although the version is out of date you don't get the horrible red warning bar appearing at all.
I am posting from Seamonkey 2.11 in Wary having updated fairly easily by the folder substitution method, but there are a few differences from Slacko.

Shell scripts do all still point to the binary at /usr/lib/seamonkey/seamonkey but seamonkey in /usr/lib is a symlink to the main folder which in this case has the version number tagged on to it (ie seamonkey-2.6.1). So the symlink and the real folder sit next to each other in /usr/lib

In order to upgrade in Wary I did the following:-
1, Install dbus and dbus-glib from PPM and reboot
2, Download latest Seamonkey tarball to /mnt/home
3, Extract tarball to produce new seamonkey folder in /mnt/home
4, Delete symlink /usr/lib/seamonkey
5, Delete folder (and contents) /usr/lib/seamonkey-2.6.1 (rename it as seeemonkeyold-2.6.1 if you want to be cautious. The old folder is in the distro anyway).
6, Move new seamonkey folder from /mnt/home to /usr/lib
7, Rename new folder as seamonkey-2.11
8, Create new relative symlink to seamonkey-2.11 named seamonkey so the new folder and new symlink sit together in /usr/lib as the old pair did before.

That is just about it. You probably could leave the folder just named seamonkey without numbers and forget the symlink but just to keep the structure as it was I did it that way. When you start the new Seamonkey for the first time it does a few checks and asks if you want to install a new theme.

The older Seamonkey is probably fine though, so long as you don't get that horrible red bar.

Anyone know what BarryK's reason was for leaving dbus out?
Oscar in England