Puppy latest MATE desktop, beginning !

Window managers, icon programs, widgets, etc.
playdayz

#21 Post by playdayz »

Jejy69

I would like to say that you are making a large contribution to the Puppy community with the LXDE and Mate desktops. In my humble opinion advances in the Puppy infrastructure have outstripped development of the user interface. Perhaps now a group will coalesce to help you give Puppy a face lift. This is all my opinion but I think both the LXDE and Mate desktops have a fresher, more modern look and feel, and I do believe that is important to users. Specifically I am glad to see a working recycle system. There are issues of course, but there are lots of clever people here. Maybe there could even be something ready to go simultaneously with the Slacko 5.3.4 release. Look at how quickly forum members helped Jejy69 refine the LXDE desktop.

I am sure everyone understands that I am not criticizing Slacko or any other Puppy in any way. IMO Slacko is the best-built Puppy ever, at least since I've been around. All the advances in the infrastructure have made it that way. That makes it the perfect foundation for an updated ui. Can I stop saying IMHO now?

Considerations:

1. Menus need work in both LXDE and Mate. A small hack could be made I think to PPM to copy the desktop file to the proper location for the LXDE menu, etc. Mate has most programs in the Other category.

2. Size:. LXDE is small enough as is--128MB was a target because that is the largest ISO that will load into a machine with 256MB RAM. Maybe size doesn't matter so much anymore though. Maybe there are clever people who can mix and match features of the LXDE and Mate desktops to create something unique and effective for Puppy.

3. The yelp help browser is a consideration. I personally hope that Help would work in every program that has it. Yelp will work I believe, but I think it now requires webkit--maybe that is a problem--maybe there are other solutions.

4. Layout of the desktop, desktop icons, etc. Possible inclusion of a launcher to complement a desktop with fewer icons.

One little story. My daughter,who has seen me working on Puppy for thousands of hours, walked by and saw Mate and said, "Wow, that's cool!"

OK, that's my 2 cents.

rg66

#22 Post by rg66 »

Ok, here's a screen shot of Mate with a slightly modded application menu file from CheckMate. I then used the built in menu editor to change icons. Not finished yet but so far so good. Only 10 in the Other category and a few double entries.
Attachments
mate.jpg
(148.44 KiB) Downloaded 989 times

Jejy69

#23 Post by Jejy69 »

Hello ! :)

Tman : I had so far failed to update the libraries with Wary. But that's it, I just manage to get a decent result. I had to update many libs, Glib, GTK 2.24.10, GDK, pixbuf, X11 etc ...
The old PCs can then perhaps turn checkmate, with latest LX apps. :)
For now, I have issues with geany, and the murrine engine for GTK, several themes, not displayed correctly, with a pink color, for "selected object".
For other, I think to continue with Slacko, I have less trouble with compilations.
Wary is hard for me... No Wifi, low resolution... :?

Playdaz :
I would like to say that you are making a large contribution to the Puppy community with the LXDE and Mate desktops

I totally agree with you, several of my knowledge have not been able to adapt to the environment JWM. In fact, A simple trick, many are accustomed to right click on the desktop to change wallpaper, or a simple copy and paste may seem tedious in rox.
JWM bar can be hard to customize, to add shortcuts, whereas with Mate for example, a simple moving icon is enough. I think LXDE is a good alternative light matter, and the user knows how to navigate.

I take your remarks into account, thank you! :)
One little story. My daughter,who has seen me working on Puppy for thousands of hours, walked by and saw Mate and said, "Wow, that's cool!"

Thou shalt thank your daughter, it motivated me if it pleases! :lol:

Rg66 : Thanks, if you want, you can send me your menu, I will integrate it in the next release. :)
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite Linux distrbution on the Citadel.

rg66

#24 Post by rg66 »

Sure no problem, there will still be a lot of editing though.

The main menu categories will have no icons, there will be some double entries and a few in the wrong category but it is still better than 90% in the Other category.

I think Puppy and Mate menu's have some category compatibility issue. Some of the Mate apps don't have an icon. The only Mate desktop file I used was the Other category.

Also the puppy icons don't really look so good so I might change them all with the menu editor and re-master.

Oh ya, all the System entries are under System>Administration. Those went there by default so I left the System entry out of the menu.
Attachments
mate-applications.menu.zip
(1.65 KiB) Downloaded 543 times

Jejy69

#25 Post by Jejy69 »

Thanks rg66 good job !

Could you try the package please ? What do you think about ? It is done with Puppy entries.
Attachments
Screenshot.jpg
(50.78 KiB) Downloaded 1289 times
menu.pet
(5.86 KiB) Downloaded 803 times

rg66

#26 Post by rg66 »

Cool, does the same thing but easier, no icon editing!

Can this be done after a complete edit of the menu? As in all "Other" category items moved etc......

The "Other" shouldn't be needed after that as all .pet's should go into the right place. Mate specific apps might be a problem though.

peebee

Mate 1.4 released today

#27 Post by peebee »

ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

rg66

#28 Post by rg66 »

Other than the menu issues, the GeNome theme has a small issue. When you right click on the clock, one of the window selectors or one of the workspace icons on the panel, the text is the same colour as the background. You can just barely see it when it's highlighted.

Oh, and just like Checkmate, ROX is still the default for a lot of things.

For now I'll stick to CheckMate final but can't wait for this one!

stowpirate

#29 Post by stowpirate »

Not really working for me keeps dropping wireless, only get desktop ikons when run file manager, menu appears to be confusing. I will stick with previous version for now.

Jejy69

#30 Post by Jejy69 »

Yes, I need to adjust a lot of things ... :P

stowpirate

#31 Post by stowpirate »

Jejy69 wrote:Yes, I need to adjust a lot of things ... :P
Been using your Gnome 2.32 a lot for scanning negatives and photo editing and even that drops wireless from time to time. I wonder if it is the same issue with both versions? . Mate does look good and I prefer the simple menu to the more involved mint one. I can see this becoming the default desktop for Puppy Linux in the future as most old hardware should now be able to handle it.

Jejy69

#32 Post by Jejy69 »

For problems, I don't know... But I need to fix some issues in the 2.32 version, like wireless.
I will surely return to the standard menu of Gnome, to provide to rduce the size of ISO.

sneekylinux

#33 Post by sneekylinux »

have now made a video on your pup, i hope there is more to come...nice

rg66

#34 Post by rg66 »

Here's another good tool for changing the menu. Add, remove and it's easy to change the category.

http://puppylinux.org/wikka/MenuEntryMaker

Jejy69

#35 Post by Jejy69 »

Hi !
have now made a video on your pup, i hope there is more to come...nice
Thanks ! Yahoo ! :lol: more to come ? Sure !
Here's another good tool for changing the menu. Add, remove and it's easy to change the category.

http://puppylinux.org/wikka/MenuEntryMaker
I'll see that, thank you. :wink:

PS : I did not post in the "derivatives" section ? I thought ... Oops, I'm totally confused :|

GustavoYz

#36 Post by GustavoYz »

This is the kind of puppy that can convert new people to Linux, great work!
The puppy got mate... 8)
Attachments
Web_Che_tomando_mate.jpg
(33.59 KiB) Downloaded 1268 times

Jejy69

#37 Post by Jejy69 »

It would be great, more Puppy users !
I love the picture ! :D thanks
I would have tasted this famous 'tea' ... It should not be bad ... :lol:

vicmz

Yerba mate

#38 Post by vicmz »

Jejy69 wrote: I would have tasted this famous 'tea' ... It should not be bad ... :lol:
Actually, the properties of mate are more like coffee (in fact, instead of the traditional way you can boil the yerba mate, pour it in a cup and drink it just like coffee, but in this case the drink is called 'mate cocido' or just 'cocido', which means 'boiled mate' or 'boiled'). It's usually drunk bitter, with hot water and no sugar, although some people do add sugar, even prepare it with hot milk instead of water at times. Often people add medicinal plants. In the south of Brasil, especially Rio Grande do Sul, it's called 'chimarrão', and in Paraguay people also prepare it with very cold water or some cold fruit juice instead of hot water, in this case the drink is called 'tereré' and is very popular in summer. Although you can drink it alone, mate is usually a social drink, groups of friends gather in circles to drink it while they talk (the same applies to 'tereré', not for 'cocido' though). They share the same pot (which is also called mate, or 'guampa' when it is made of a horn, this last one is more popular for 'tereré') to drink, they don't use individual cups or the like, and they use a special metallic tube called 'bombilla' to drink mate (yes, they share the same bombilla, too :lol: ). When you are given some mate, you should not say 'thank you', not yet! You only say thank you when you had enough mate and don't want to drink anymore. Also, you should not stir the mate with the bombilla, you can stir 'cocido' with a spoon, but mate is never stirred. If you travel to Argentina, Paraguay, Uruguay or Rio Grande do Sul you will see people drinking mate daily, at home, at school, at work, in the parks, especially in winter, but also in summer early in the morning. As someone said, when a friend comes to your house their first phrase is '¡Hola!' and their second phrase is '¿Unos mates?' (Fancy some mate?) :lol:

Last edited by vicmz on Mon 06 Aug 2012, 02:28, edited 4 times in total.
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76948]Puppy Linux en español[/url]

vicmz

#39 Post by vicmz »

Jejy69 wrote:It would be great, more Puppy users !
I added your puplets to the list of puplets that can be set to Spanish with langpack_es. The Hispan like to test Linux systems. :lol:

Jejy69

#40 Post by Jejy69 »

Wow, thank you for this presentation vicmz! You are better than WikiPedia :D !

I am putting online mate's locales. More Es language if you want !