HP Mini 311 netbook runs Puppy *VERY* well

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.
jonrpick

HP Mini 311 netbook runs Puppy *VERY* well

#1 Post by jonrpick »

I noticed a Netbook thread, but wanted to plug this model. Sadly, the (not so) genius minds at HP discontinued it. However, they're easily found on eBay and local classified ad sites, such as Craigslist.

The hardware specs:
  • CPU Type : Intel Atom / N270(1.60GHz)
    CPU FSB : 533MHz
    CPU L2 Cache : 512KB
    Display : 11.6" Widescreen Display
    Max Resolution : 1366 x 768
    Display Feature : LED backlight & BrightView

Graphics Processor : NVIDIA ION LE graphics
    Video Memory : Shared system memory

Memory Slots : 1 x 204-Pin DDR3 SO-DIMM
    Memory : 1GB (3GB supported)

Hard Drive : 160GB / 5400 RPM / SATA

Dimension & Weight : 11.40" x 8.03" x 0.78" / 3.22 lbs

Netbook Camera : Built-in

Communications : LAN (10/100Mbps) / WLAN (802.11b/g Wireless LAN)

Ports : 3 x USB 2.0, 1 x VGA, 1 x HDMI, Headphone-out, Microphone in combo jack (compatible with 3.5mm, 4-conductor jack with stereo audio and mono mic)

Audio : Integrated Sound Card, Altec Lansing Speakers

Input Device : Touch Pad with dedicated vertical Scroll Up/Down (note: no on/off button)

Keyboard : 92% full sized keyboard

Card Reader : 5-in-1 integrated Digital Media Reader for Secure Digital cards, MultiMedia cards, Memory Stick, Memory Stick Pro, or xD Picture cards

Power : 65-watt AC adapter

Battery : 6-cell lithium ion
I'm running mine with a frugal installation of Lucid Puppy 5.2.5. I've remastered to make certain things default, such as apps (LibreOffice, Chrome, etc..) drivers (NVidia) desktop enviroment (Xfce + Compiz Fusion). This thing is *extremely* fast for surfing the web. My save file is minimalist, at best. And those changes and tweaks will soon be remastered back into my main SFS file.

I have maxed out the RAM to 3GB, and removed the HDD to save battery power and to keep the heat down. I'm booting off of a tiny 4GB USB stick, which is only about 5mm protruding from the port. I have a 16GB class 10 SD card for additional storage (not used, yet), though I think I may add a SSD in place of the original HDD, for speed reasons.

I plan to add my Chrome bookmarks and things such as the "Downloads" directory onto another partition and mount and/or use symbolic links to avoid using a save file. I don't like the constant saving or the slower boot and shutdown times.

The NVidia GPU makes video playback very smooth, and has HDMI output.

It's worth mentioning: My father-in-law got a new Acer Revo "net top" PC for Christmas. It has nearly identical hardware as my netbook. It runs Puppy even faster. :-)

If you're looking for a cheap laptop that performs extremely well with Puppy, check out the HP Mini 311!

:-)

triphasic

wireless

#2 Post by triphasic »

Hi just wondering if you got the wireless to run. I have also had trouble getting it to run on a USB flash drive, some pointers would be excellent.
thanks

bark_bark_bark

#3 Post by bark_bark_bark »

I don't find many uses for a netbook, but if i had one I would sell it, there isn't much you can do with them.