Lxpup 14 final 7-20-2012

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
JackWagon

tray disappeared

#101 Post by JackWagon »

Brilliant work Jejy69!

Seems you've trained this Puppy to do new tricks.

I wanted to report something odd happened on my frugal install with your latest version 5.

My tray items have disappeared and I'm not sure what it was that caused it. Only the time and LXpanelX are still standing.

Trying to retrace my steps:
I had a fresh frugal install and used SNS for my wired connection because Frisbee would not allow it (although it worked great for my Belkin USB wireless N+). I did not notice any tray problems then.

Followed by...

a wine...SFS file; that was successful.

Firefox from the repository.

Google Chrome from the repository

Then I believe I installed PupClockset from the PupControl panel>Settings. It seemed to configure OK but shortly after this I noticed most of my tray was missing; but not convinced Pupclock was to blame. (I will say after the SNS configuration the tray looked a bit messy but I did not think anything of it.)

Restarted xserver then restarted startlxde, rebooted...still no joy.
**Note: I also removed pupclock and rebooted with same result.

This may be an isolated occurrence; but wonder if anyone else had this happen.

Couldn't be my deprecated hardware: wink
IBM 1.8 pentium
512 Ram

JW

Jejy69

#102 Post by Jejy69 »

@ rg66 : Look in /~/.local/share/applications to add actions. :wink:

@ Gnuxo : I can't help you, try again later. But the mirrors are very good... :?

@ JackWagon : Oops, I don't know... Maybe a LxpanelX bug ? I'll update when a new version will be released. :)
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite Linux distrbution on the Citadel.

scabz

#103 Post by scabz »

i haven't tried it yet, its on my list of pups to try.
Jejy69 here is a mirror if you want http://www.mediafire.com/?urta1rjk4btvqy7

radky

Re: tray disappeared

#104 Post by radky »

JackWagon wrote:My tray items have disappeared and I'm not sure what it was that caused it. Only the time and LXpanelX are still standing.
Hi JackWagon

1 -The current release of Checkmate uses an early alpha version of 'lxpanelx' which is a fork of the standard lxpanel, so there may be a few bugs.
2 - Puppy derivatives with the standard (original) lxpanel often use the 'lxpanel_menu_refresh' utility to update the panel after configuration files are modified (for example, Lucid Puppy). PupClockset works fine in this scenario.
3 - Other Puppy derivatives with the standard lxpanel do not have the 'lxpanel_menu_refresh' utility, but do support external restarting of lxpanel with a new or modified profile (for example, Fatdog64 and Lighthouse64). PupClockset works fine in this scenario.
4 - In this very nice Checkmate derivative by Jejy69, the alpha version of lxpanelx (the fork) does not function with the 'lxpanel_menu_refresh' utility. And, more importantly, standard external commands do not force the expected refresh of lxpanel (i.e., lxpanel does not restart with the new configurations settings).

Sorry JackWagon, it seems the lxpanelx alpha does not support some of the functions of the original lxpanel, so PupClockset is not currently recommended for the lxpanelx fork of lxpanel.
[color=blue][b][url=http://www.smokey01.com/radky/PupMates.html]PupMates[/url][/b][/color]

James C

#105 Post by James C »

Slow download here too but it finally finished. Looks good.... no problems yet.

Jejy69

#106 Post by Jejy69 »

@ scabz : Thanks ! I added it as mirror in the first post. :D

@ radky : Hmm... Next time, back to the official Lxpanel, Thank you for this info, I did not know that! :D

@ James C : It seems that Sourceforge has slowdowns, I hope it will not during. :?

rg66

#107 Post by rg66 »

@Jejy69 about right click context menu

There doesn't seem to be a /~/.local/share/applications

What am talking about is right click of a desktop icon or file in PCManfm, sorry for not being clear. Maybe it's a PCman config file I need to edit.

oldyeller

#108 Post by oldyeller »

When I downloaded it yesterday it took me almost 3hrs, but it was worth it though.

thanks for all of you hard work

radky

#109 Post by radky »

In Checkmate, the desktop icon for PupApps will look much better after editing the corresponding .desktop file as follows:

Go to /root/Desktop/PupApps.desktop

Open the PupApps.desktop file in a text editor and change

Code: Select all

Name=PupApps launch favorite apps
Icon=/usr/local/PupApps/icons/applications20.png
to

Code: Select all

Name=PupApps
Icon=/usr/local/PupApps/icons/applications48.png

Jejy69

#110 Post by Jejy69 »

Start of "porting" CheckMate for Racy, for those who slacko does not work. :wink:

playdayz

#111 Post by playdayz »

I had some comments here that apply to both the LXDE and Mate desktops, concerning how great they are ;-)

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 436#643436

Gnuxo

#112 Post by Gnuxo »

Why Racy and not wary?

It seems that those of use with older PCs are being forgotten. :cry:

vicmz

#113 Post by vicmz »

Gnuxo wrote:Why Racy and not wary?

It seems that those of use with older PCs are being forgotten. :cry:
I don't remember where, but I think I read a post of Jejy saying that he couldn't install some dependencies in Wary without breaking the system, therefore he decided to try Racy.

Shep

#114 Post by Shep »

I downloaded and burnt the Finale of ChekMate. The md5sums didn´t agree, but the DVD booted the PC and programs ran. (I explained in another thread the problem verifying md5sums.)

I found that QTweb wouldn´t handle http://physicsforums.com When I tried to read any thread there, QTweb wouldn´t display any messages in the thread. Can others confirm this?

Also, when I was typing a message for this thread, I clicked on a smilie icon to include it in my message, but that mouseclick caused my compose window to be exited/aborted and I lost all I´d typed.

roadkill13

#115 Post by roadkill13 »

Posting this from Checkmate V7 on my Acer Aspire 3680 Intel Celeron M 420 1.73GHz with 2 gigs of RAM. The browser is Google Chrome 20 which I installed from *.deb after installing gconf-3.2.3-s.pet and puppy-gc-001.pet. The latter deals with the root user issue (thank you Shinobar). So far this has been one very smooth experience.
Attachments
capture27697c.png
Watching Youtube Video in Google-Chrome 20
(127.83 KiB) Downloaded 844 times

Jejy69

#116 Post by Jejy69 »

QtWeb used only for simple navigation, it takes less space in the Live cd. It's like Dillo, in Lupu of Playdayz.
For larger sites, it is best to install another browser. :)

roadkill13

#117 Post by roadkill13 »

Also please note that CUPS is not fixed. 500 Internal Server Error is still present when attempting to setup CUPS as previously reported.

EDIT

:D CUPS is fixed! Sad to say that I did not test CUPS until after I had tested Shinobar's puppy-chrome with Google-Chrome 20. His program fixes the permissions issue for Google-Chrome allowing it to run as "root" user however it creates a permissions issue with CUPS. Duh! :oops:

I was able to setup CUPS successfully prior to running puppy-chrome. It is no problem for me because this particular HP printer can print from the cloud. I scan by directing the browser to the printers internal web address.

My apologies for not working this out before posting on the subject!

Jejy69

#118 Post by Jejy69 »

Hello roadkill13!
I was looking for a solution, I am delighted that you found the source of the problem, can be used for others and even for me, I did not know that it could influence.
My apologies for not working this out before posting on the subject!
At least, I would have learned something thanks to it ! :D

GG to solve the error :wink:

vicmz

#119 Post by vicmz »

Has anyone had this issue with Checkmate-v7?
When you delete a file it doesn't get deleted permanently, it is just sent to a hidden folder ".Trash-0" inside the same disk where it was located. Well, a dialog appears indicating that the file is going to be sent to Trash, but when I click on the Trash folder from the file manager the files aren't there, so I can't empty the trash to free the space, it says Trash is already empty. When I examine the hidden files, I can see that ".Trash-0" folder with the files inside. This means that "deleted" files keep accumulating and taking space on my disk.

And now let me say Checkmate is fantastic, it is fast and elegant. One of my friends downloaded a 700MB ISO image of an LXDE OS, it took about 8 hours. I downloaded Checkmate in half an hour and two hours later I was testing it at home! :lol:
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76948]Puppy Linux en español[/url]

rg66

#120 Post by rg66 »

I've had the .trash-0 folder a few times but have always been able to see deleted items in the trash folder.

I just did a few tests,

1- Put fresh CheckMate on a USB drive, booted, played around a bit then deleted an item and emptied the trash. Didn't do a save and no .trash folder.

2- Booted, deleted an item and left it in the trash, didn't save and no .trash

3- Booted, deleted, emptied trash, saved, no .trash

4- Booted, deleted, left in trash, saved, no .trash

I was expecting it to show up after a save with items in the trash but it didn't happen. Not sure what is causing this .trash but my last one was 512MB. I just deleted it and found no problems.

The other funny thing that happened with these tests is after a save with trash in the bin on reboot the trash is empty.