Any interest in an IT centric derivative?

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
jafadmin

Any interest in an IT centric derivative?

#1 Post by jafadmin »

I have built an iso for my favorite netadmin tools. I've actually had it for quite a while, but I've finally cleaned it up and
squared it away to make a "clean" iso.

[Updated July-27-2012 @ 22:00z]
5.28-4 Netadmin

I ported everything to 5.28-4 because I found that, for me anyway, I could get best bang for my buck with supported
wireless devices, drive types, and BIOS features on this distro for right now. I'll eventually port them to more
current kernels as is warranted.

It has the following compiled refinements:

1) current version of the ppptp VPN app, Gpptp, with all the mods already in the /etc/ppp directory so you can VPN
into your MS datacenter and save the day.
2) Wireshark!
3) TS Client, the supersweet RDP to connect to all your NT servers, etc ..
4) RealVNC client and x11vnc-server
5) Iron browser 15.0.9 - This is my favorite browser ever. Forks before chrome, so none of the google snoopware.
6) XF-Prot/f-prot virus scanner - all set up and working properly. Boot on USB thumb/CD and scan windows machines.
7) PrtSc button actually does a print screen and copies to mtpaint
8 ) Programming! Devx installed and the "include" links for GTK are set up
9) The "inetutils" ver. 1.6 full versions of all the ANSI internet tools (more options than BusyBox variants)
10) "chntpw" password resetter for the windows SAM database. Works on all versions thru 7 so far
11) Command line "hexedit". I can't live without this. Seriously.
12) "gip" subnet calculator
13) Geany IDE filedef types with my favorite schemas for programming (may not be your cup of tea, but give it a try)
14) A hotkey shortcut (Ctl+Alt+C) to your necessary swiss army calculator (change the "view")
15) And of course, a console window that looks like a console window ;-)
16) Autosave is turned off. When you create a usb thumbdrive the rc.shutdown file will ask if you want to save your sessions. This is so you can experiment to your heart's content and not worry about borking up the OS. Naturally, the LiveCD will always have to ask ..

I played around with various wireless scanners, and based on the code size, decided that while it would be nice, it's
not worth the 250-300 meg footprint in the sfs file and the quirkiness. Barry's scanner works for me for wrench
twisting ("spanner", for the brits). If I want to do hardcore site audits for wireless, I'll use win 7 and "inSSIDer".
Who knows, mayhaps one day we'll get a "lean & mean" version for linux.

This beast has a 500 meg memory footprint, which means "no problem" on modern machines. Runs within a gig, but
on older hardware results in long load times. So far I'm booting and fixing 10 year old machines with it.

I had to set the the "pmedia" variable to "usbflash" because on the CD boot it would look for all possible "save"
files, and choosing "0" would result to the equivilant of "pfix=ram" (probably not a bad thing), but a virgin puppy.
UPDATE: Ok here is what was happening; If you boot to a machine that has other saved sessions on it and select "0" for no save file, it will still load the last "lupu_528.sfs" it found on the disk scan instead of the one on the CD. So to get around that you need to "puppy pfix=ram" when you boot the CD.

There will not be a "For Idiots" FAQ. If you are struggling to understand these tools but can't find help via a search
engine, don't download it. This distro is for the people that already understand these tools and don't need
instructions. It's a puppy "collection" for professionals, if you will ..
Last edited by jafadmin on Sat 28 Jul 2012, 01:04, edited 12 times in total.

cthisbear

#2 Post by cthisbear »

jafadmin:

Just upload it mate.

This is a good site...

http://www.4shared.com/

http://www.4shared.com/faq.jsp

""""""""""""

" There will not be a "For Idiots" FAQ. "

Nooby proof....I salute you.

Regards.....Chris.

nooby

#3 Post by nooby »

Hi Chris you mean that
Nooby proof....I salute you.
That if Nooby is able to use that iso then so can everybody else?
What a challenge. Should I take it on :)
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

jafadmin

#4 Post by jafadmin »

Last edited by jafadmin on Fri 27 Jul 2012, 21:56, edited 2 times in total.

cthisbear

#5 Post by cthisbear »

jafadmin:

Thanks mate...downloading it already.

Now....for my first question.....oops...ha!ha!

Chris.

jafadmin

#6 Post by jafadmin »

If you plan on using the x11vnc-server it has a bug where it doesn't recognize when the "shift" key is pressed by the vnc viewer.

The /usr/X11R7/bin/x11vnc-gui file needs to be edited so that both lines 53 & 59 read:
x11vnc -nomodtweak -nolookup -forever -bg -passwdfile /root/.x11vnc/read:password

So we're adding the -nomodtweak switch to the command line in both cases.

Once that is done, run the x11vnc-server again from the "Network" menu, make your selections and all should be fine once the edited script re-reruns.

I've made the mod to the original, so it will be included when I update the iso.

cthisbear

#7 Post by cthisbear »

jafadmin:

" The /usr/X11R7/bin/x11vnc-gui file needs to be edited "

Thanks mate....even though my lips were sealed.

Chris.

jafadmin

#8 Post by jafadmin »

Ok, I've updated the ISO file.

I changed from tightVNC viewer to the RealVNC viewer because I couldn't get tightvnc to do the fullscreen stuff right.

So I have it set up with the x11vnc-server and the RealVNC viewer.

The x11vnc-server has the "Shift" issue fixed.

I hope someone finds this useful ..

jafadmin

#9 Post by jafadmin »

For those who prefer it, I have also uploaded an encrypted 512meg "save" file with all the same mods.

pw= [puppypower]

http://www.4shared.com/file/rPDB3SS1/lu ... ta-sh.html