[Discontinued] Puppy Slacko, Gnome 2.32

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
stowpirate

#41 Post by stowpirate »

Running really well with Wine, Photoscape, Xsane and my negative scanner. Had a few lock ups processing very large image files but been fine on reset/reboot. Are there any plans to add more functionality? [/img]

Jejy69

#42 Post by Jejy69 »

Hello stowpirate !

Thanks for tests, wine works perfectly... Cool 8)
Are there any plans to add more functionality?
Mmh, yes.
I need to work more on the control-center, and on .desktop applications.
Maybe add Gthumb 2.12 and Brasero.
If you have ideas, say me ! :)

Question :
Which menu do you prefer?
-Simple Menu ?
-MintMenu ?
-Custom menu ( Applications|Places|System )
-GnoMenu ?

Which one ? :D
I'm Commander Shepard and this is my favorite Linux distrbution on the Citadel.

stowpirate

#43 Post by stowpirate »

Posting not working! There must have been some strange character in my post causing it not show?http://www.btinternet.com/~stowupland/software/ I think it was tilda but this worked?

That was a tad off topic. I installed the other software you suggested all works OK. The gThumb software looks good but is a tad basic compared to Picasa 3.9 running under wine. Anyway I can see it being useful for quick edits.

Kompozer-0.8b1-Lucid.pet installed and works fine :D

Resize pup save not working which could be an issue? tried the other resize option suggested and still not working,
Last edited by stowpirate on Mon 23 Jul 2012, 15:27, edited 11 times in total.

stowpirate

#44 Post by stowpirate »

I think a simple menu is always the better option. However the search in the Mint menu for apps is good but it takes up a lot of screen space.

As for applications I use, being a photographer I would like Digikam and ShowFoto albeiet they are KDE stuff! Now there is an idea as never had digiKam or ShowFoto running in any version of Puppy Linux. It is the best photo free editing software

bark_bark_bark

#45 Post by bark_bark_bark »

cool puppy. I would love to try it, but it would take to long to download :cry: .

EDIT: I would like to see the Official Gnome Panel, which obviously is not an option. I would like to see an Openbox-GNOME alternative version.

kayan

#46 Post by kayan »

@Jejy69

Thanks for an excellent gnome pup

kayan
[color=blue]SAHARA laptop intel celeron M 1.4 GHz/ 768Mb Ram /40GB ,SIS 661 chipset,[/color]

stowpirate

#47 Post by stowpirate »

Great OS. For me the best puppy ever. Screenshot running Hugin Panorama creator. The fact you have more control on the desktop compensates for the slight performance hit. It is a tad slow on my P4 1.8ghz 512mb box :cry:

Jejy69

#48 Post by Jejy69 »

Hi Stowpirate !

You can try Mate, it's a fork of Gnome 2, and it is more light. :)
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=79943

stowpirate

#49 Post by stowpirate »

Jejy69 wrote:Hi Stowpirate !

You can try Mate, it's a fork of Gnome 2, and it is more light. :)
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=79943

Downloading it now :D

Puppy is great as you only have to drag and drop the contents of iso into a folder, edit the boot file and you have a new OS to try. I must also look at the LXDE version.

mini-jaguar

#50 Post by mini-jaguar »

I haven't tried this, but based on the screenshots it doesn't seem at all like the GNOME I know.

GeNOME with the MATE desktop is cool though.

Jejy69

#51 Post by Jejy69 »

@ mini-jaguar : This does not look like a Official Gnome because I installed MintMenu. :) There is therefore a bar.

Q5sys

#52 Post by Q5sys »

Salut,
C'est magnifique!

However I do have 2 things to say.

1) If you can manage to make Gnome 3 work in slacko you will be my hero. I tried for a while but got some errors I've never heard of before and wasnt able to make it work.

2) Is there anyway you can bundle all your gnome work together into a compressed file so that I can see what steps you took to make it work with slacko so I can hopefully manage to follow your steps and port Gnome 2.32 to the 64 bit releases (fatdog and lighthouse)

My goal is not only to be able to port gnome2 to those 64 bit distros but be able to make an SFS so that anyone could load it simply and eaisly into those pupplets.

James C

#53 Post by James C »

Q5sys wrote: 1) If you can manage to make Gnome 3 work in slacko you will be my hero. I tried for a while but got some errors I've never heard of before and wasnt able to make it work.
Here's an Alpha release with Gnome 3.2.....
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 437#641437

Jejy69

#54 Post by Jejy69 »

Hi !

I have tried to create a SFS file for the Gnome 2.32 desktop. :wink:
I need to resize it.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 059#644059

kox444

#55 Post by kox444 »

Hi. I got tired of new ubuntu after upgrading from 10.04 lts all the way to 12.04. So I decided to install something lightweight and then I saw this thread. :d
So I installed it and it's great and all but unfortunately I can't access some system settings such as user manager (or something like that) and network manager, so the system is pretty useless without configuring these things.
I got CONFIGURATION FILE COULD NOT BE LOADED error.
Any idea how to fix it?

kox444

#56 Post by kox444 »

Nevermind the network, I got online. :d
Great work :d

Q5sys

#57 Post by Q5sys »

kox444 wrote:I installed it and it's great and all but unfortunately I can't access some system settings such as user manager (or something like that) and network manager, so the system is pretty useless without configuring these things.
I got CONFIGURATION FILE COULD NOT BE LOADED error.
Any idea how to fix it?
Most puppies are not multi-user capabile. you'd have to check the forums and find out if the version of slacko this is based on is multiuser.

feelsub

#58 Post by feelsub »

I Just love it !

Just regret that usual issues with non-English characters encoding.

starhawk

#59 Post by starhawk »

Very nice! C'est tres magnifique!

...I think I got that right. I can type a little French, but my attempts at speaking it are something else entirely ;) I have the condition of being American, and it is not always desireable :lol:

Moving on. This is a very nice Puplet ("le puplette"?) but I am having some small difficulties, in particular with the Connection Manager. It appears that a "wag-profiles.sh" file is missing, and this prevents the Complex Network Setup (Barry's / Dougal's / "Classic" Network Setup) from working. A pity, as it is my preferred network setup utility. Attempting the "Frisbee" option results in the request to install a package for the 2.4 *beta* version.

It would also be nice to have Chromium, Firefox, or another popular browser (no offense, but Dillo does not qualify) in addition to QtWeb. While I dearly love QtWeb, there are several sites I rely on (for example, Yahoo! Mail) which will not permit it to be used. Perhaps they are simple-minded, but I still use them.

One last thing... perhaps this is the "arrogant American" in me... I realize this is a French puplet ("une puplette de Français"?), however, once the keyboard and locale have been switched to English, some things remain in French. I suspect I can fix this myself with some searching and some typing, but it would be nice if I didn't have to do that.

Except for those small issues, this is a truly splendid puplet, and I thank you greatly for it!

In fact, as mentioned here, I am looking for a Puplet which I can use instead of Windows, permanently. I could be quite happy with this one of yours if these small things can be fixed (particularly the network setup and the locale problems. I can add Chrome or Chromium later.)

Jejy69

#60 Post by Jejy69 »

Hello starhawk ! :)

Thanks to try it !
I'll rebuild a Gnome 2.32 puplet, without FR locale, and will solve Frisbee issue.
If you want, you can try MATE desktop, a fork of Gnome 2.32. It is here :
http://sourceforge.net/projects/matepuppy/.

I promise, I rebuilt ISO cleaner and without bugs. :)