Mageia 2-Based Puppies - LAST BETA RELEASE

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
Billtoo

#81 Post by Billtoo »

scsijon wrote:
Hardinfo was ok for me and all my primary testers in all cases, is it the same thing james is having?, can you list your problems with it and attach a hardinfo from another puppy and i'll see if I can sort it out.
I get the same result as james with hardinfo.
I had no problems compiling:
qt-482,ffmpeg-0.11.1,mplayer-1.1,umplayer-0.97,smplayer-0.80,smtube-1.1,slang,
midnight commander 4.8.1.3,htop-1.0.1,geeqie-1.0,cmus-2.4.3,and qupzilla-1.3.1

Is there a kernel source sfs available for download? I need that to compile the
Nvidia driver for my card.

Actually, I've been able to add most of the apps that I want.

I'd better back up my savefile before I break it :)

EDIT:
I installed mesa from the mageia-core repo and it's working good,
google-earth runs great with it.
Screen resolution is up to 1280x800 which is good too.
I also installed icewm from the mageia-core repo.
Updated Seamonkey to 2.11
Added Firefox 14.0.1
So far I'm liking mage2, thanks :)
Attachments
screenshot5.jpg
(50.51 KiB) Downloaded 813 times
htop.jpg
(43.08 KiB) Downloaded 853 times

Billtoo

Mageia 2 Puppy, Mage and 'qtpuppy'

#82 Post by Billtoo »

I'm still testing mage2, I did a frugal install on this pc and I
copied my savefile from the first install to a flash drive.I'm
using it on the new install.
I had to recompile mplayer for some reason but everything else is okay
I think.
I used the ppm to install kshisen from the mageia-core repo, it has a
lot of dependencies but it is working great.
I get the correct resolution on this pc as well 1280x1024 using the
vesa driver.
Installing packages from the mageia repos in ppm is working well, I've
only done a few (lxterminal,geany0.20,icewm,and kshisen) but they all
work well.
Attachments
kshisen.jpg
(105.37 KiB) Downloaded 809 times

scsijon

#83 Post by scsijon »

thanks for the testing work folks,

Going through the 'returns', I answer with:

Firstly, after a night's slaving, I can't fault hardinfo here on any of my five differently configured testboxes, nor can my three other local testers, although I have noticed that none of us have nv cards, so maybe it a driver related problem. I must (again) try to remember to get one next time i'm down there! Can you try another driver please? Also for some, you need to click on an item on the left-hand panel or top panel to get the others up (in case that is your problem). The hardinfo is puppy's, I shall change over and use mageia's instead (as I notice they have now caught up the version) for the beta! I do have a gdkPixbuff problem or two to fix, but that only relates to missing / differances in paths between puppy and mageia as well as a couple of missing directories not used by mageia but by puppy, these should not be killing anything though and will be fixed in the beta.EDIT: definately be replacing it with mageia's, it's 132k smaller, even with the dependancy lib's not already installed.

And yes, in my 30meg cleanup, I had killed Viewnior again, can you please add this link (cut and paste) through the 'console' please, that should fix it (puppy uses libxcb-xlib while mageia uses libX11-xcb for the same thing, one of it's 'quirks' for a puppy user). It will be included in the beta.

Code: Select all

ln -s /usr/lib/libX11-xcb.so.1.0.0 /usr/lib/libxcb-xlib.so.0
The current kernel is only built for 4 cpu cores so it shows the max of 5, that is why it is showing as such for the rich, I wanted it at a point I could test to the limits. When I rebuild it for the beta I shall run it up to the max (16 I think) but adding extra cores does add to the kernel packages sizes. I shall upload the current kernel source sfs tonight, and show a link here afterwards, but be aware it's already some 99meg in size!

Missing libs are usually version differences if puppy packages are involved and usually just need some links adding, I mentioned how to fix them earlier. If they are mageia packages, check using the 'check dependancies installed package' tab please, install the extra lib from the appropriate mageia repositry AND let me know so I can chase up why it's not also installing with the package (or :roll: did you tell it to only install the package).

billtoo, don't know why mplayer didn't work for you, haven't had any other complaints for it, although mageia 2 uses gstreamer instead, as I shall be in qtpuppy as it is seriously less processor loading as well as being more flexable.

I have found that Mageia has split dependancies up much more than puppy does, numbers of them are not relative to overall size, so don't get overly worried about it, there are a number of two and less digit packages in mageia.

1280x1024 seems to be the puppy installers 'standard', I usually just change it at that stage to mine (1024x768) and it's happy.

and finally, I won't be updating woof2 until the release as I don't want to go back to 'unfixing' what I have fixed and what is there is stable.

thanks to all helping to date
scsijon
ps for the gamers, try drascula in the non-free repositry.
Last edited by scsijon on Thu 19 Jul 2012, 03:28, edited 1 time in total.

Gnuxo

#84 Post by Gnuxo »

I think this would be perfect for QT puppy.

It's called Scrok Filer. It's a QT clone of Rox. :wink:

http://linux.softpedia.com/get/Desktop- ... 8366.shtml

It's meant to be used with the KDE desktop but I'm sure it would work awesome on Razor-QT.

What is truly odd is that the developer claims that Scrok is even lighter then ROX, and yet it uses KDE libs. :?

http://linux.softpedia.com/get/Desktop- ... 8366.shtml

You could also include DinoFM, which is another lightweight QT file manager.

http://dfm.sourceforge.net/

scsijon

backgrounds

#85 Post by scsijon »

By the way, if anyone wants to add their favorite backgrounds to the 'available list' in the release, just attach them and i'll put them in.

I'm also trying to find an old program I had back when SuSE was v6 that allowed you to 'serialize' a number of jpg's into one file, you could pick individuals to display or have a timed 'step-through', and it shrunk them considerably in size. If I can find it's source, build and get it working I think it would be a plus.

peebee

Quick test

#86 Post by peebee »

Hi scsijon

Just a quick frugal install on my HP550 laptop to see what you are up to...

Boots fine to desktop - add the zz patch pet, made savefile, connected to wifi using SNS AOK.

Noticed:

1. Desktop icon switcher (have to change those orange icons ASAP) - no images or icons showing

2. No FlSynclient so can't tweak my touchpad parameters....

3. the sfs load dialogue is missing all its borders

I also await the kernel-source sfs so I can compile the Broadcom-STA drivers for your puppy

Hope helps
Cheers
peebee

p.s. download speed is somewhat slow to the uk....have you thought about asking smokey01 for some download space?

p.p.s the version of Seamonkey is really old!!
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

scsijon

possible hardinfo fix and a qtpuppy plan

#87 Post by scsijon »

Hi peebee, welcome

the missing images/icons tell me it is not matching the video driver, maybe you need to see what it is using and pick another

yeah, I forgot that orange on orange kills borders, the orange 'citrus-cut' was to define an alpha for me, go into jwm config and change one of them to something else such as the jwm theme to 'origonal' and that should fix that problem.

My website is in australia and is used by leadlighters and potters as well as puppy people, but it shouldn't be slow as I have open 1kmb bandwidth to the router, maybe there were a few downloading this or something else in one of my other groups or boards as I have three on the box.

I haven't gone further than the basics with touchpad 'stuff' yet as my one notepad with touchpad is slowly dying. And thanks for the offer of building a driver, if you put a url for it I shall download and add it to the default packagelist.

The default seamonkey is a fully stable one from the mageia 1 mage004 build so I have used it for testing. Have a look back in the replies as someone did update it. Mageia uses firefox by default, but their dillo is great as it has been debugged and speeded up. At the moment I am keeping to puppy and mageia standards, when I start back into qtpuppy things will change.

For the others,
- For those having hardinfo problems,
1- Also try going through the Lighthouse sys-info manu and see if that works?
2- Can you download and install from the Mageia core repositry the following two system packages

Code: Select all

libgdk_pixbuf2.0_0 and libuClibc-zlib1
, then install please, reboot and let me know if it fixes it. They are the full mageia packages that puppy has cut down, if it fixes it I shall add them to the default set.
I tried out the mageia hardinfo package, but can't see any differances against the puppy one except about 120k in size and it has no direct menu access so I would have to repackage it anyway for little gain.

And just on the qtpuppy topic:

I am comitted to matching the 'Puppy Standard Set' with mage2's mageia 2 puppy before I start cutting and pasting when I branch off with qtpuppy, it may not be perfect at that point, but should work on most ocasions and with most packages. If someone wants to take it on as a project at that point I will be happy to pass it on, giving help as I can.

I will build a mage 3 puppy when mageia 3 is out as I now have most of the necessary knowledge. Mageia 3 will be a different 'beastie' from the earlier ones though.

I am also considering a x86-64 mage 2 puppy as I am seriously considering paralleling qtpuppy, having it both in i586, and x86-64 with vm's for working with other platforms.

What I intend to do with mage2's first qtpuppy's, release codes 2.0.90 - 2.0.99, is to do what I did with my earlier warz builds and split all apps into their own sfs first. I can update/cut/kill and add at this stage and that is as far as I will be following puppy's standards. Things like removing mplayer and it's stuff and replace with mageia's gstreamer and it's kit, which is much better as well as being less processor intensive; getting rid of Seamonkey and replace with Mozilla packages is the second set; adding the latest stable qt4.8.x; adding the eggwm desktop as an alternate to jwm; and removing duplicate apps out of the default set are it's goal. Anything else will be by pet or a mageia package for the user to add into their savefile although I will have Pet Maker 2.2. so the user can build their own pets or sfs's.
Hopefully it will be out by October 2012.

In the following version (2.1.90 - 2.1.99), I shall remove quite a bit of what is unneeded in a qt development environment from the (2.0.9x) 'base system' and bring in some of the 'behind the scenes' parts of the dev tools I use now. The apps in the apps.sfs will shrink considerably and have the new qt and other development apps included in a qtapps.sfs, as well as reforming the Menu system to provide a separate 'Development' main Menu point and subpoints, rather than loading them into Utilities as is now (not barry's fault as it hasn't needed separating). It will also be the stage I bring the Razorqt/qlwm (pure qt) desktop into the 'visable world', as well as replacing quite a few apps and utilities we now use with qt equivalents.
This is planned at this stage for a Febuary 2013 release as quite a bit had already been done in warz until I hit too many problem blockers and decided to change bases.

That's my stop point for now, although I do have a page or two of items on my wish-list for the following one and will no doubt add or change some from sugestions appearing here, I need to get back on track.

On top of this i'm working in a small way with the mageia-dev team on mageia 3, and do have my Leadlighting business to keep going so things are not boring here.

regards to all
scsijon
Last edited by scsijon on Mon 23 Jul 2012, 01:57, edited 1 time in total.

scsijon

kernel sources

#88 Post by scsijon »

Kernel sources for everyone. remember it's for the alpha release, beta will have a few tweeks only though.

http://www.lamiaworks.com.au/puppy/mage ... e-i586.sfs
md5 hash is 382f8814df22a91f92e6d629082811d7

Billtoo

#89 Post by Billtoo »

Thanks for uploading the kernel source sfs.

Thu 19 Jul 2012 Operating System: mage2-1.9.83 Linux 3.3.6-mage2-pae-i586

X Server: Xorg Driver: nvidia
X.Org version: 1.11.4
dimensions: 1920x1080 pixels (513x292 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
server glx version string: 1.4
OpenGL vendor string: NVIDIA Corporation
OpenGL renderer string: GeForce GTX 560 Ti/PCIe/SSE2
OpenGL version string: 4.2.0 NVIDIA 304.22

Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU
Core 0: 1600 1: 1600 2: 1600 3: 1600 4: 1600 MHz
Attachments
nvidia.jpg
(71.91 KiB) Downloaded 702 times

Billtoo

#90 Post by Billtoo »

I downloaded the amd-driver-installer-12-6-x86.x86_64.run proprietary
driver and installed it.
The report-video glx utility reports that the vesa driver is used but
that's a bug, it's the ati driver in use.

Thu 19 Jul 2012 Operating System: mage2-1.9.83 Linux 3.3.6-mage2-pae-i586

X Server: Xorg Driver: vesa
dimensions: 1600x900 pixels (423x238 millimeters)

direct rendering: Yes
server glx vendor string: ATI
server glx version string: 1.4
OpenGL vendor string: Advanced Micro Devices, Inc.
OpenGL renderer string: ATI Mobility Radeon HD 5400 Series
OpenGL version string: 4.2.11733 Compatibility Profile Context

Intel(R) Core(TM) i5 CPU M 430
Core 0: 1199 1: 1199 2: 1199 3: 1199 MHz
Attachments
ati.jpg
(51 KiB) Downloaded 689 times

James C

#91 Post by James C »

Manual frugal install on my main Linux box.Booted to 1280x1024 resolution...... used xorgwizard to choose "nv" driver and got correct 1440x900. Sound and internet good on initial boot.

Installed mage2_fixup-20120711.pet then installed libgdk_pixbuf2.0_0 and libuClibc-zlib1..... Hardinfo now working.

-Computer-
Processor : AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2400+
Memory : 1021MB (249MB used)
Operating System : Unknown distribution
User Name : root (root)
Date/Time : Thu 19 Jul 2012 01:56:18 PM CDT
-Display-
Resolution : 1440x900 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Unknown
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
-Multimedia-
Audio Adapter : VIA8233 - VIA 8235

# report-video
mage2, version 1.9.83 on Thu 19 Jul 2012

Chip description:

oem: NVidia
product: NV18 () Board Chip Rev A2

X Server: Xorg
Driver used: nv

dimensions: 1440x900 pixels (411x263 millimeters)

...the above also recorded in /tmp/root/ as report-video,
and archived with xorg.conf and Xorg.0.log as report-video-full.gz
#

Time for a break........ :lol:
Attachments
hardinfo.png
(193.79 KiB) Downloaded 753 times

James C

#92 Post by James C »

And after a quick reboot.....

James C

#93 Post by James C »

At least I've got my drive icons back...... :)

Something I installed didn't cooperate.
Attachments
at least there's drive icons.png
(38.08 KiB) Downloaded 716 times

James C

#94 Post by James C »

Installed Pidgin and the official Mageia Firefox 10.0.4 from the Mageia repo...... appear to be working correctly.
Attachments
mageia firefox.png
(148.95 KiB) Downloaded 713 times

scsijon

#95 Post by scsijon »

thanks james,

so I need to use the full mageia 2 libs, I shall add to the build filelists, thanks.

your second screenshot with the triangles means it's lost some settings and having had it before, about three alphas ago, I unfortunately could not find anyway around but blowing the savefile away and starting again, sorry. I suspect it's a mageia vs puppy location thing. I will put it back on my 'hunt' list and see if I can work out just what is causing it, can you attach your /root/.packages/user-installed-packages file please (hidden directory) for me.

Considering the amount of work they did with ESR, it had best work, have a look in core-updates though, it should have at least 10.0.5 (security patches and some speed increases) that may be of interest.

James C

#96 Post by James C »

scsijon wrote: Considering the amount of work they did with ESR, it had best work, have a look in core-updates though, it should have at least 10.0.5 (security patches and some speed increases) that may be of interest.
Posting from my Mageia 2 install and Firefox is indeed 10.0.5......... I mostly use Puppy so I wasn't sure.I'll check into 10.0.5 for Mage next time I boot it up.
Attachments
Mageia-2.png
(184.16 KiB) Downloaded 713 times

James C

#97 Post by James C »

scsijon wrote: your second screenshot with the triangles means it's lost some settings
Part of the fun of testing....... :lol:

James C

#98 Post by James C »

Actually, just finished updating Firefox to 10.0.6....... one thing about those "big" distros......as many updates as Microsoft. :)

peebee

Broadcom-STA wl driver for mage2

#99 Post by peebee »

Superceded - see later post on page 9

Here is the Broadcom proprietary wl driver compiled for k3.3.6 and mage2.

To install you need to first load the attached small delta pet followed by the multi-kernel pet from this download.

A reboot is needed to activate the new driver.

The multi-kernel pet contains the logic developed by rerwin to choose the correct broadcom driver for the various types of broadcom wifi hardware.

The background to this driver can be found in this post

Cheers
peebee
Last edited by peebee on Sat 25 Aug 2012, 15:51, edited 2 times in total.
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

peebee

Re: possible hardinfo fix and a qtpuppy plan

#100 Post by peebee »

scsijon wrote:the missing images/icons tell me it is not matching the video driver, maybe you need to see what it is using and pick another
scsijon
Hi scsijon
Here is a screenie showing the missing icons in the icon switcher and my video driver = intel
This is from a pristine pfix=ram install to make sure nothing else was causing.
Cheers
peebee
Attachments
screenie.png
(159.79 KiB) Downloaded 670 times