Flawless Nvidia 3D in Slacko made easy

Problems and successes with specific brands/models of computer video hardware
fudoki

Flawless Nvidia 3D in Slacko made easy

#1 Post by fudoki »

So you downloaded and installed the Nvidia 295.xx drivers in Slacko and no matter what you do they just won't get recognised and work?

Say, like me, you REALLY know what you are doing with the Nvidia thing, and can't understand why Barry's broken xorg,conf keeps overwriting the WORKING xorg.conf you put in it's place?

Having been a "computer guru" since before the microcomputer was invented (no foolin'); let me impart some wisdom: You don't need to comprehend every mystery; when it magickally starts working, smile and be happy!

Here are the magick words for Slacko: After you have installed the Nvidia 295.xx drivers and become throughly upset and are ready to post a nastygram to perhaps the most thorough and thoughtful distro designer that I know of (but have not yet personally met or typed to), do this:

MENU | Setup | Xorg Video Wizard - Select the first option (that you ignored when you made the changes the regular way - manually using choice #2), Xorg video Wizard, select your resolution, exit the wizard and Nvidia is automagickally working!!! Spooky...

Don't ask me why. I have learned not to care - so long as it is working. Life is too short at my age...

Hope this helps!

Fudoki

gcmartin

#2 Post by gcmartin »

Could this be an answer with Exprimo5X32428, too?

Testing required...

Smithy

#3 Post by Smithy »

Good for you!
Care to give details of motherboard cpu ram?
Would be nice to know what flies in Puppy.

01micko

#4 Post by 01micko »

This is already documented. If you click the "Help" button in the driver installation part of Slickpet your web browser will open with the instructions for installing ATI/AMD and Nvidia drivers, with or without nouveau loaded (procedures are different).

Cheers
Attachments
doc.jpg
(20.8 KiB) Downloaded 647 times
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access