Cross-platform Trojan Attacks Windows, Mac, Linux

For discussions about security.
ICPUG

#21 Post by ICPUG »

disciple wrote:[quote="ICPUG]Base might be used by quite a few people, certainly people here in the past have asked for a Database.
True, but I would be very surprised if the number of people using it would be anywhere near the number of people using spreadsheets. Although personally I think a lot more people should use databases. I'm an engineer, and we use spreadsheets all the time. But in most cases they are really the wrong tool for the job - we should be using either a database or a proper programming language/tool.[/quote][/quote]

Yes - I agree totally. I work with engineers too and spreadsheets are everywhere. Rarely are they used for their original purpose - number crunching on a scratchpad. Mostly spreadsheets are used for simple databases - perhaps a real database is too complicated for an engineer's needs.

linuxbear

#22 Post by linuxbear »

I use spreadsheets heavily. Mostly for manipulating data that I need to generate control scripts. I also use them for numerical analysis. As to information that I use day to day, that is accessed with my Wiki.

disciple

#23 Post by disciple »

ICPUG wrote:
disciple wrote:
ICPUG wrote:Base might be used by quite a few people, certainly people here in the past have asked for a Database.
True, but I would be very surprised if the number of people using it would be anywhere near the number of people using spreadsheets. Although personally I think a lot more people should use databases. I'm an engineer, and we use spreadsheets all the time. But in most cases they are really the wrong tool for the job - we should be using either a database or a proper programming language/tool.
Yes - I agree totally. I work with engineers too and spreadsheets are everywhere. Rarely are they used for their original purpose - number crunching on a scratchpad. Mostly spreadsheets are used for simple databases - perhaps a real database is too complicated for an engineer's needs.
If they were truly used for "simple databases" it wouldn't be so bad, but we tend to end up creating incredibly complicated things. I think the trouble is that it seems like spreadsheets are very simple and anyone can create/use them. We start with a spreadsheet because that's what we know and it is easy to start with, but it gets more and more complicated and turns into an unweildy monster that is virtually impossible to debug or maintain.
linuxbear wrote:I use spreadsheets heavily. Mostly for manipulating data that I need to generate control scripts.
What do you mean by "control scripts"?
One thing for which I do find spreadsheets are very well suited is writing simple shell scripts to automate repetive things without having to learn about regular expressions and string substitution and all the stuff that you need to write a proper efficient shell script.
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#24 Post by Lobster »

Here is a simple 3.5k (without graphic) flat file database
http://puppylinux.info/topic/p-data-alp ... e-database

Might be too simple and better to use a spreadsheet to track all your spare trojans . . . :wink:

We were going to rewrite in 'C' but what for if gnumeric does for most usage . . .
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

disciple

#25 Post by disciple »

Interesting. That looks like it is almost really useful ;)
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

TheAsterisk!

#26 Post by TheAsterisk! »

Makoto wrote:I know Java has a Control Panel applet on Windows that allows you to change the settings, including the security settings. Can we do that on Linux? I think I saw a setting to disallow unsigned (no certificate) Java apps... of course, I'm probably wrong. :|
That "control panel" would be launched with the command "jcontrol", assuming the package in question has all the necessary binaries and scripts linked into the executable path. Otherwise, go the the Java directory (/usr/java on my system and packages) and look for "jcontrol" inside the "bin" subdirectory.

I don't know what security options are presented, but that would be a likely place to look.

Makoto

#27 Post by Makoto »

Thanks. Added a link to it on my desktop. :)
[ Puppy 4.3.1 JP, Frugal install ] * [ XenialPup 7.5, Frugal install ] * [XenialPup 64 7.5, Frugal install] * [ 4GB RAM | 512MB swap ]
In memory of our beloved American Eskimo puppy (1995-2010) and black Lab puppy (1997-2011).

Barkin

#28 Post by Barkin »

Barkin wrote: ...Googlesharing is worth a try on FireFox if you want to do a google search without being tracked, (although probably just a matter of time before Google puts a stop to that too ) ...
Apparently Googlesharing has been down for about a week :¬( ,
NB: it's not immediately obvious that that is the case,
you may think this proxy is working when it isn't :¬o