Slacko 5.3.3.2 alpha (shooting for 5.3.4)

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
01micko

#121 Post by 01micko »

@Jades... probably a firmware issue for carl9170, I only used stock woof firmwares and a lot changed in the jump from 3.1x to 3.2x series kernels, that's why I stuck with 3.1x for 533.

@shinobar, congrats on releasing a Japanese version of Slacko! Is it well received among the Japanese community?

-

I have been a bit busy lately and that is only going to get worse as my study load increases.

This Sunday is "catch up day" :lol:
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

pemasu

#122 Post by pemasu »

@Jades. You should post dmesg result after you have booted to the desktop:
dmesg > dmesg.gz and post the file to the forum. It should show the wireless load attempt and what the failure is and also what firmware does it try to load, even the name of the firmware with version numbers.
Other way is to run pmodemdiag command and post the created tar ball here.

@micko. If you check with: modinfo carl9170 , you get the firmwares which it wants and then check the /all-firmware/carl9170 folder if there is some firmware missing. You get the firmwares from kernel org:
git clone git://git.kernel.org/pub/scm/linux/kernel/git/firmware/linux-firmware.git

Edit. Except the carl9170 does not seem to be in kernel org firmware tar ball.
There is only one firmware dependency for it in my kernel: firmware: carl9170-1.fw
Last edited by pemasu on Sat 14 Jul 2012, 13:44, edited 1 time in total.

01micko

#123 Post by 01micko »

Hmmm.. yes, same carl9170-1.fw exists in slacko, so definitely need dmesg output to see why it doesn't load.

Jades

#124 Post by Jades »

pemasu wrote:@Jades. You should post dmesg result after you have booted to the desktop:
dmesg > dmesg.gz and post the file to the forum. It should show the wireless load attempt and what the failure is and also what firmware does it try to load, even the name of the firmware with version numbers.
I've attached the resulting reports, one from a start without a savefile (chose 0 option at file selection prompt) and one using one which is fairly old and been upgraded a few times. The latter was working properly with 5.3.3 before its most recent upgrade.
pemasu wrote:Other way is to run pmodemdiag command and post the created tar ball here.
I'll get back to you on that, I want to check its output for stuff like passwords and MAC addresses before posting.

Hope this helps, and thanks for replying. :-)
Attachments
dmseg-mer-5332-sv.gz
dmesg output on 5332 boot with save file. WN111v2 not working.
(39.41 KiB) Downloaded 464 times
dmesgmer5332.gz
dmesg output on 5332 boot without save file. WN111v2 not working.
(41.84 KiB) Downloaded 417 times
Zhaan - AMD K6 2 500, 512MB RAM, ATI Rage 128 VR. Full install Wary 5.5 [url=http://tinyurl.com/dy66kh8]HardInfo Report[/url]
Merlin - Core i5-4590, 8GB RAM, Radeon R9 270X. Slacko 5.7.0

01micko

#125 Post by 01micko »

Thanks Jades

Try the firmware pet attached. If it works fine I'll merge it with the main build.
Attachments
carl9170-fw-1.0.pet
(9.69 KiB) Downloaded 467 times

James C

#126 Post by James C »

Still running a frugal install of 5.3.3.2 on the old P4 test box........everything appears to still be working pretty well.

# report-video
intel
Slacko Puppy, version 5.3.3.2 on Mon 16 Jul 2012

Chip description:
2.0 VGA compatible controller
Intel Corporation 82865G Integrated Graphics Controller (rev 02)
oem: Intel(r)865G Graphics Chip Accelerated VGA BIOS
product: Intel(r)865G Graphics Controller Hardware Version 0.0

X Server: Xorg
Driver used: intel

X.Org version: 1.9.5
dimensions: 1024x768 pixels (270x203 millimeters)
depth of root window: 24 planes

...the above also recorded in /tmp/root/ as report-video,
and archived with xorg.conf and Xorg.0.log as report-video-full.gz
#

rob_0126

#127 Post by rob_0126 »

I tried out slacko. I wanted to report a minor bug i found.

When I used the usb install, when you goto select the iso image(to install sys from), if I have to search for the iso image on another drive in the file browser, and goto select it, then click ok, I get an error(i forgot what it said exactly-something to the effect, couldnt do it).

But if the iso image is in the initial folder(I can copy the iso image over), and then select it, everything is ok.

Hope this is helpful.

bigpup

#128 Post by bigpup »

rob_0126 wrote:I tried out slacko. I wanted to report a minor bug i found.

When I used the usb install, when you goto select the iso image(to install sys from), if I have to search for the iso image on another drive in the file browser, and goto select it, then click ok, I get an error(i forgot what it said exactly-something to the effect, couldnt do it).

But if the iso image is in the initial folder(I can copy the iso image over), and then select it, everything is ok.

Hope this is helpful.
I have found this is normal results.
What I find that works is to mount the device the iso file is on.
In a file manager, go to location of the iso file.
Left click on iso file to mount it.
Now run the USB install.
it seems now able to find the iso file.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

shinobar

Pburn 3.7.1

#129 Post by shinobar »

Pburn 3.7.1 fixed the help file issue.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=23881

EDIT: 3.7.2: Bugfix for BD-RE
Last edited by shinobar on Thu 19 Jul 2012, 00:57, edited 1 time in total.
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

Jades

#130 Post by Jades »

01micko wrote:Thanks Jades

Try the firmware pet attached. If it works fine I'll merge it with the main build.
Thanks. I've given it a go and the news is somewhat mixed.

On the bright side, as soon as the Pet had installed, and I disconnected and reconnected the dongle, the WN111v2 was visible and I could set it up. Settings have remained over several boots now. When it is working the speed seems to be normal.

Unfortunately, I'm still getting an odd problem which I saw in 5.3.2.1 where the connection seems to stop working after a while. The desktop icon still shows it as connected, but if I ping the router or other devices on the network then nothing happens. Hitting Ctrl-C to exit ping shows 100% packet loss, and trying to ping the machine from another computer on the network gives a Host is Down error.

If I then run Network Wizard again, loading the wireless profile and putting the machine and router IP addresses back in again, the connection is restored but after a while the problem re-emerges.
Zhaan - AMD K6 2 500, 512MB RAM, ATI Rage 128 VR. Full install Wary 5.5 [url=http://tinyurl.com/dy66kh8]HardInfo Report[/url]

01micko

#131 Post by 01micko »

Hi Jades,

This is a driver issue with the kernel module.I had the exact issue several years ago with the rtl8187 driver but over the years the devs fixed it.

Does this work well with other kernels?

There is a work-around you can employ. I suggested it earlier in this thread here. Give it a try.

Thanks for your report.

Jades

#132 Post by Jades »

01micko wrote:Hi Jades,

This is a driver issue with the kernel module.I had the exact issue several years ago with the rtl8187 driver but over the years the devs fixed it.
Thought that might be the case, I have had issues with the WN111v2 and Slacko before. On 5.3.1 and the test builds leading up to it, it worked - sort of, chucked out a load of interference on audio and was very slow. The connection stayed up, however.
01micko wrote:Does this work well with other kernels?
Now's as good a time as any to further confess to not being up with the finer points of Linux (still!), do you mean you want me to try the pet you posted earlier with other versions of Puppy?

FWIW, the dongle works out of the box with all Lupu releases from 501 [1] to 528 005 inclusive. Also works perfectly on Slacko 533. I assume the solution is not a simple case of just using the drivers off that.
01micko wrote:There is a work-around you can employ. I suggested it earlier in this thread here. Give it a try.
I'll have a look and get back to you, hopefully sometime tomorrow if I have time.
01micko wrote:Thanks for your report.
My pleasure. Glad to help, even if sometimes it seems to me that my 'help' means I prod something and go "It's wrong!" ;-)

Notes:-

1. In fact, the excellent performance of Puppy on the Pentium D machine meant I abandoned the original idea of only using Puppy on the K6-2 500 and using something like Ubuntu on the former machine.

Jades

#133 Post by Jades »

Further to my previous reply...
01micko wrote:I used this code: (credit @tempestuous)

Code: Select all

echo "iwconfig wlan0 rate 5.5M fixed" >> /etc/rc.d/rc.local
(starts when machine boots)
Just to confirm, is the effect of this command to add a line to rc.local which throttles the speed of wlan0 to 5.5Mbps, and which is only executed after reboot? I know it should be obvious, but thought I'd check first. Don't want to waste your time with reports of "barely crawls along at 5.5Mbps" if that was the intended effect. ;-)
I know it seems slow but it's probably faster than your internet so the only time it will affect is on LAN browsing/transfers. You can try 11 instead of 5.5 or even higher if you are adventurous.
Considering that our broadband speed at home is 8Mbps on a very good day (could buy higher speed but can't see the point) I think I'll manage.

01micko

#134 Post by 01micko »

Hi Jades,

Yes, a reboot is needed, but you can try to bring down the interface, run just the command iwconfig wlan0 rate 5.5M fixed and bring the interface back up and try to connect. (A reboot is easier :wink: )

If your connection seems stable then you can try the value of 11 instead of 5.5.

Cheers

sszindian

#135 Post by sszindian »

Besides the no-pictures showing in xscreensaver???? The only other problem encountered thus far is the CLOCK in Pwidgets keeps disappearing (sometimes) after running Internet.

>>>---Indian------>
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192[/url]

01micko

Slackare 14 beta

#136 Post by 01micko »

Hi Everybody,

Thanks for continued testing and reports, but this version of Slacko is not going to be released.

Pat Volkerding (Slackware benevolent dictator) has just announced that Slackware is in Beta.. which means a new version will happen soon. The changelogs for current have been extremely busy the last week or three .

So hang around everyone.. there will be a new exciting alpha in the coming months.

zigbert

Re: Slackare 14 beta

#137 Post by zigbert »

01micko wrote:So hang around everyone.. there will be a new exciting alpha in the coming months.
:D

James C

Re: Slackare 14 beta

#138 Post by James C »

01micko wrote: So hang around everyone.. there will be a new exciting alpha in the coming months.
Cool...... :)

vicmz

Re: Japanese remastered

#139 Post by vicmz »

shinobar wrote:Someone may be interested in.
Japanese remastered slacko-5.3.3.2-JP.iso
http://shino.pos.to/party/bridge.cgi?pu ... emastered/

Removed mesa drivers, gutenprint, seamonkey.
Add Japanese stuff and Japanese seamonkey as an additional SFS.

Optional mesa drivers:
http://shino.pos.to/party/bridge.cgi?puppy/slacko/mesa/
I'm learning Japanese, so I downloaded the ISO file to give it a go. Runs just as well as the original Slacko. 8)

The only thing I wasn't able to do is boot with a session file. In fact, I can't boot at all if there's a removable drive plugged in (I was told it could be pupsaveconfig but Saluki has that program and I can save to session file successfully). I think it could be because: 1) my computer is outdated (512MB 2.0Ghz), or 2) my computer is made in a different way or lacks something I don't know.

Something I haven't tried yet is formatting the flash drive to a linux partition and doing a full install, or just save session to the linux partition. I'll let you know if I do it. But before, what should I use, ext2, ext3 or ext4?

shinobar

Re: Japanese remastered

#140 Post by shinobar »

vicmz wrote:
shinobar wrote:Someone may be interested in.
Japanese remastered slacko-5.3.3.2-JP.iso
http://shino.pos.to/party/bridge.cgi?pu ... emastered/
I'm learning Japanese, so I downloaded the ISO file to give it a go. Runs just as well as the original Slacko.
Thanks for testing, but this version is not going to be released. :lol:

The Japanese team has released the Lupu-528JP (Japanese/English bilingual).
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=79934
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]