pUPnGO 2012

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
goingnuts

#41 Post by goingnuts »

Keef: Strange...the "lzma d initrd.gz initrd
cpio -idmv < initrd" works ok here...maybe version of lzma? I used lzma-458 to compress the initrd...

technosaurus

#42 Post by technosaurus »

lzcat file |cpio -id
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

Keef

#43 Post by Keef »

technosaurus: Yep - that works!

escucha

Not working for me

#44 Post by escucha »

pup_412.sfs not found again... and again...
:? :? :?

goingnuts

Re: Not working for me

#45 Post by goingnuts »

escucha wrote:pup_412.sfs not found again... and again...
:? :? :?
Again I am sorry to hear that but I have no clue. Are you booting from CD? Have you the possibility to try another computer?

starhawk

#46 Post by starhawk »

Hey, goingnuts, I'm sure I've asked this before, as I've forgotten about this version of pUPnGO for some time... BUT...

Could you incorporate Xorg (just enough for the generic driver) into this somehow? I really don't know enough to do it myself :oops:

Also real wireless support would be way cool. Just a port over of SNS would be enough ;)

EDIT: just to give you the full story, this is for the Infernal Dell -- my Latitude CPi (P2 300MHz and 128MB RAM). Xvesa does all sorts of nifty things to the screen about 30sec in. That is to say, it fails quite spectacularly!

Technically, the NeoMagic driver "should" work, but on this system it generally does not -- Puplite5 and Akita get it right, other puplets generally speaking make a mess of things -- the colors are way off. (Not quite as bad a failure as Xvesa, fortunately.)

I still have a wireless-only network, hence that request -- I don't have the (rather rare, I am told) Ethernet->WiFi sort of module, just the regular USB ones. My particular favorite is a Rosewill RNX-N150UBE with the RTL8188 chipset.

technosaurus

#47 Post by technosaurus »

a static toolchain means no Xorg, but you can dump Xorg and the shared lib dependencies from any distro where your video does work.
Check out my [url=https://github.com/technosaurus]github repositories[/url]. I may eventually get around to updating my [url=http://bashismal.blogspot.com]blogspot[/url].

starhawk

#48 Post by starhawk »

Ummm... OK, approximately what files should I copy? (I really don't know this stuff!) Can I lift them from, say, Puppy 432?

starhawk

#49 Post by starhawk »

Actually... dirty little secret, I got a replacement CPi at some point. The old(er) one is now a parts machine. Looks like that parts machine has some video issues as well as a bad RAM slot -- although pUPnGO looks HORRIBLE on the newer example (not being suited to stripy pink and blue), it *is* stable... strange. I've attached a bad photo of what it looks like -- my amazing photography skills compensate for the fact that every 3rd column or so of pixels is black. Oops.

So I'll want to copy over Xorg, the generic Xorg driver (and MAYBE the neomagic driver) and whatever generates the conf files that Xorg needs.

I'll also be needing to know how to integrate Xorg in -- i.e. how to get the system to call Xorg and not just Xvesa. This should be fun :roll:

Hey, speaking of pink and blue... makes me think of J Edgar Swoop, a silly poem that my father illustrated for IIRC like a class project or something in the 80s. A pity that about 90% of that work got lost somewhere along the way -- the part I've seen was excellent.
Attachments
CPi-pUPnGO-Ewww.jpg
Scary screenshot... just, yuk.
(72.64 KiB) Downloaded 516 times

technosaurus

#50 Post by technosaurus »

Try changing your bits per pixel. The wrong colors are sometimes fixed by going from 8bpp to 16 or 24

starhawk

#51 Post by starhawk »

How do I do that? Also, a res change is in order -- it's autodetecting 800x600 and it should be 1024x768. I'd love to know how to do that as well.

goingnuts

#52 Post by goingnuts »

starhawk: I did post a Xorg.pet here but the download does not work any more and I have deleted the pet...maybe you have it still?
The other thing to try is Xfbdev. I have attached a pet with it as well as a small launcher. Start pUPnGO2012 with the boot parameter "vga=785" ex. "puppy vga=785" or use the ask mode "puppy vga=ask" and choose resolution afterwards.
After booting into Xvesa, exit2prompt and run "xfbinit"...

You will have to get the content of the package installed before doing the above,,,

As for changing the resolution try run "setresolution.sh" at a prompt or maybe use the Setup icon on desktop...it will list the modes supported by your hardware.
Last edited by goingnuts on Sun 30 Sep 2012, 06:22, edited 1 time in total.

starhawk

#53 Post by starhawk »

Don't have that Xorg PET file anymore :( but I know how to drag n drop if you can tell me (again, approximately) what files to pull out of a full install of 432...

The xfbdev pet has problems:
The following messages or errors were encountered:
/usr/sbin/pkginstall.sh: cd: line 380: can't cd to /tmp/pet/xfbdev
BusyBox v1.17.0.git (2011-07-24 18:44:24 GMT-8) multi-call binary.

Usage: basename FILE [SUFFIX]

Strip directory path and .SUFFIX from FILE

/usr/sbin/pkginstall.sh: cd: line 390: can't cd to /tmp/pet/xfbdev/
cp: cannot stat `/tmp/pet/xfbdev/*': No such file or directory
rmdir: '/tmp/pet': Directory not empty
Errors from tar and gzip is normally harmless.
Press OK to continue/quit.
In other words, THAT'S gonna leave a stain on the rug :shock:

starhawk

#54 Post by starhawk »

OK, here's what happens when I get the right resolution x bits put up on the screen... it still ain't pretty.

Every other column is off (black) in all cases.

greengeek

#55 Post by greengeek »

Starhawk - you probly already know this but if you rescale the jpg to a width less than 600 pixels it will display on the forum in a much smaller filesize (without loss of onscreen clarity) without requiring each person to download it (which saves John Murga a lot of bandwidth and lets us see the image straight off).

(I use mtpaint and then "image, scale canvas" then set the width to 595 pixels, then click once in the "height" box to allow it to automatically keep the correct aspect ratio)

Then it will be visible on the forum without extra downloading, like this:
Attachments
100_2887_.JPG
(28.06 KiB) Downloaded 749 times

starhawk

#56 Post by starhawk »

Yeah, I know *sigh* just lazy sometimes. Tired other times.

Didn't think I'd hear about it, either :oops:

goingnuts

#57 Post by goingnuts »

starhawk wrote:/usr/sbin/pkginstall.sh: cd: line 390: can't cd to /tmp/pet/xfbdev/
cp: cannot stat `/tmp/pet/xfbdev/*': No such file or directory
rmdir: '/tmp/pet': Directory not empty
Errors from tar and gzip is normally harmless.
Press OK to continue/quit.

In other words, THAT'S gonna leave a stain on the rug :shock:
I agree thats annoying...but have a look in /tmp/pet/...there it should be...just named xfbdev_static_20120928...and inside you should find the bins. Just copy them to /usr/X11R7/bin.

It must be my naming of the pet which puzzles the pkginstall-program - sorry!

greengeek

#58 Post by greengeek »

goingnuts wrote:Yes my homebrewed wifimanager is present - which at some tie in the past got me connected via wireless...
We got wpa_cli, wpa_supplicant, wpa_passphrase and iwconfig at hands to play with...but no firmware drivers..
Hi Goingnuts, this is an interesting offering. I am posting from Dillo, via wired connection. I couldn't work out how to activate the wireless card (although iwconfig seems to suggest it is loaded). Can you offer any tips about the best way to configure the wpa password into the wireless config please? I guess it is done from the cli?? cheers!

EDIT: Ok, I used wpa_passphrase and it seemed to accept my wifi password, then I didn't know what step to take next. I tried wpa_cli and wpa_supplicant but am stabbing in the dark really... Any ideas appreciated. thx

goingnuts

#59 Post by goingnuts »

greengeek: Try looking into the /usr/sbin/wireless.sh script. I have been able to connect with that script but it is not always working - might be my wireless router giving problems. Also I only have tested WPA2...
If you are using the updated pUPnGO from 20120616 (download in first post) most drivers should be present and auto loaded - although there are no guarantee the autoloaded driver works with your hardware. Good luck!

starhawk

#60 Post by starhawk »

xfbdev doesn't work. Black and blue and pink screen, with black blotches when I move the cursor. No icons and no conky.

Correct VGA mode here is 317, BTW (785 is some sorta 800x600 mess). Not that it matters!

One other thing, there is a tiny tiny bug in your xorgwizard (or whatever the startup keyboard/mouse detection shell script is). It reads "Your correct! My mouse is a [WHATEVER] mouse" for option 0. "Your" is grammatically incorrect -- the line should start with "You're" instead. Again, very minor bug that probably nobody cares about. I only picked up on it because Mom used to be a librarian and is VERY picky about my English. ("Ain't ain't a word!")