Save file clarification

Booting, installing, newbie
rmcellig

Save file clarification

#1 Post by rmcellig »

My save file is always running low (red instead of green). I can't figure out why. My understanding is that the save file saves only what is in my root directory? As far as I know, my root directory has hardly anything in it. I make a point of saving to mnt/home instead or to an another partition or drive on my computer.

duke93535

#2 Post by duke93535 »

Any thing you change or add is saved to the save-file. Not just your /root. Of course you can symbolic link to other accessible locations. The only thing then being saved is the link.

Look at your /initrd/pup_rw to see what is in the save-file.

rmcellig

#3 Post by rmcellig »

Thanks I will take a look. I always wanted to know what exactly is going into my save file. Thanks again!!

mcewanw

Re: Save file clarification

#4 Post by mcewanw »

rmcellig wrote:My save file is always running low (red instead of green). I can't figure out why. My understanding is that the save file saves only what is in my root directory? As far as I know, my root directory has hardly anything in it. I make a point of saving to mnt/home instead or to an another partition or drive on my computer.
Stuff you put into /mnt/home shouldn't be eating into your save file nor should anything you put into another partition so I'm not sure what the problem might be. Are you sure it really is another partition or /mnt/home that you are saving most stuff to?
github mcewanw

rmcellig

#5 Post by rmcellig »

My save file indicator is now green. Here are the contents of my save file.
Attachments
save.png
(70.08 KiB) Downloaded 1379 times

sfeeley

#6 Post by sfeeley »

I find that the cache of my browser tends to fill things up. You can purge the browser cache, and reduce its size

rmcellig

#7 Post by rmcellig »

Thanks. I totally forgot about my browser cache.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#8 Post by Flash »

If you're using SeaMonkey, you can tell SeaMonkey to put its cache in /tmp so that the cache is not saved. In SeaMonkey, go to Edit -> Preferences -> Advanced -> Cache, click the Choose folder button and navigate to /tmp

rmcellig

#9 Post by rmcellig »

Thanks! So just to be clear, aside from not saving anything in my root directory, is there anything else I need to consider in order that my bars are always a solid green?

One more thing. When I am in puppy, is there a way to tell which save file I am saving too?

Karl Godt

#10 Post by Karl Godt »

rmcellig wrote:Thanks! So just to be clear, aside from not saving anything in my root directory, is there anything else I need to consider in order that my bars are always a solid green?

One more thing. When I am in puppy, is there a way to tell which save file I am saving too?
You can resize the save file :resizepfile.sh should be launched somewhere in the Menu .

To check which save-file is used you can use the terminal commands

Code: Select all

df
mount
cat /etc/rc.d/BOOTCONFIG
Puppy frugally installed on flash and on normal HDD treat /initrd/pup_rw directory differently .

While on flash pup_rw is tmpfs and gets buffered with the minutes you can choose in the eventmanager GUI (default 30 i think).
where on HDD pup_rw is a normal layer in the aufs .

rmcellig

#11 Post by rmcellig »

Thanks again for the explanation.

Barkin

#12 Post by Barkin »

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=605794#605794

BTW If you are using FireFox, as default it will incrementally download a store of forbidden URLs, ("urlclassifier3.sqlite"), which is about 35Mb, or more

darkcity

#13 Post by darkcity »

more savefile fun here-
http://puppylinux.org/wikka/SaveFile

also I've add resize page, using much of the info here - thank s everyone Image

http://puppylinux.org/wikka/ResizeSaveFile

jpeps

#14 Post by jpeps »

You can search /root for various caches. There's one for openoffice, gnome-player, adobe, etc... Create symlinks for large directories like .mozilla folder, or files like libflashplayer. I included a button in access-finder that shows me the size & location of all caches.

greengeek

#15 Post by greengeek »

rmcellig wrote:My save file indicator is now green. Here are the contents of my save file.
In that image there is no data listed for the size of each directory, and I always find this makes it hard to know which directory to investigate in order to trim the excess unwanted files. Does anyone know of a way to display directory size rather than just individual files?

jpeps

#16 Post by jpeps »

greengeek wrote:
rmcellig wrote:My save file indicator is now green. Here are the contents of my save file.
In that image there is no data listed for the size of each directory, and I always find this makes it hard to know which directory to investigate in order to trim the excess unwanted files. Does anyone know of a way to display directory size rather than just individual files?
cd /initrd/pup_rw

du -h -d1

greengeek

#17 Post by greengeek »

I just found a tip on another topic which suggested using menu, filesystem, gdmap to display parts of the filesystem in order to track where the largest blocks of data are. Looks like a really helpful programme. It creates an amazing image - almost worthy of being used as a desktop background.

You just hover over each block and it tells you what it belongs to. Made me realise my mhwaveedit temp files were huge.
Attachments
gdmap_.jpg
(41.51 KiB) Downloaded 577 times

greengeek

#18 Post by greengeek »

jpeps wrote:cd /initrd/pup_rw
du -h -d1
Thanks jpeps. This seems to give an "invalid option" syntax error though. Neither "minus d one" nor "minus d ell" seems to work. Am I reading it wrong? Thx.

jpeps

#19 Post by jpeps »

greengeek wrote:
jpeps wrote:cd /initrd/pup_rw
du -h -d1
Thanks jpeps. This seems to give an "invalid option" syntax error though. Neither "minus d one" nor "minus d ell" seems to work. Am I reading it wrong? Thx.
that's -d[one]

strange: what version of busybox? busybox | head -1

also: du --help

(try busybox du -h -d1 ??)

edit: both gnu-coreutils and busybox should have -d option.

Barkin

#20 Post by Barkin »

greengeek wrote:... my mhwaveedit temp files were huge.
I had that problem ... http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=74992&sid=56d69fe3ed23172aff3f9d5ffe74d892