Squeezed Arm Puppy for Raspberry Pi, alpha4

Please post any bugs you have found
01micko

#61 Post by 01micko »

BarryK wrote:01micko, note that your file_sharing_no_bins has the x86 binaries in it still.
:oops:

And :oops:

Gave credit to HairyWill, but that was Pnethood, sorry Kirk!

Just started woofing an Armedslack... if it works I'll post some diffs for woof.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

lumi

resolution

#62 Post by lumi »

i tried puppy on my Rpi and monitor and the resolution seems locked to 1824x984 and i cant change it too 1920x1080.

am i able to change this somewhere as xorgwizard isnt detecting the correct resolution

thanks

ah found out how. you need to plug sd card back into windows in my case, browse to the sd card and edit the config.txt. add the line disable_overscan=1

BarryK
Puppy Master

#63 Post by BarryK »

Well, getting close to alpha3!

I just now fixed the reshaping of the background image to suit wide-screen. At first boot, the background was coming up distorted.

I also fixed gnome-mplayer appearing in the Utility menu, now in Multimedia menu.

The biggest problem now is sound. I would like to get that sorted before upload alpha3 -- if it is sorted, might bump it to beta1.

Pmusic is broken? So, we need a little music player that works.

A mixer that works.

A audio tray applet that works.

I wonder if any of the other distros have fixed these sound problems?
[url]https://bkhome.org/news/[/url]

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#64 Post by Lobster »

I wonder if any of the other distros have fixed these sound problems?
Any of the multimedia based distros must have done (not tried any)

No doubt this has been tried
You need to set hdmi_drive=2 in the config.txt and then on boot modprobe snd_bcm2835

http://elinux.org/R-Pi_Troubleshooting#Sound

As I understand it Debian Squeeze only has an Alpha driver available
- so the driver is in the kernel turned off? Not sure.

Non working sound would be OK for an alpha 3 as you know
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

01micko

#65 Post by 01micko »

I'm just installing my "SLR" (SLacko for Rasberry Pi, built from Armedslack-13.37) to an SD card, used Barry's kernel, latest .img (july 7).

It will be a very different build (if it works). It has later Alsa than Debian, see if that makes a difference to sound.

If the image works but sound doesn't I might try a build from -current.

LATER: boo.... kernel panic on boot.... hmmm..

"Kerenel panic - not syncing: No init found. Try passing init= option to kernel. See Documentation/init.txt for guidance."
Last edited by 01micko on Mon 09 Jul 2012, 06:25, edited 2 times in total.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#66 Post by Lobster »

looking forward to Mick making using of woof on ARM :)
Good luck Mick 8)
Thanks to everyone compiling pets for Puppi SAP

Meanwhile antiloquax is probably still busy :?
He may be able to create a mega-devx.sfs . . .
Programming gone mega . . .
I can say that the Arch files seem much more up to date (as one would expect) but also faster

Arm the world
. . . with Puppy's
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

antiloquax

#67 Post by antiloquax »

Hi Lobster,
Yes - I have been quite busy - but mainly with programming things. The last issue of the MagPi had something by me on Scratch and I am hoping to get something in the next issue - a game in Python.

So, I haven't got around to experimenting further with SAP :(
The programming side is important if we want the Foundation's good wishes: Python with Tk, Scratch and maybe stuff like Greenfoot / Alice.
mark
My System:Arch-Arm on RPi!
"[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76049l]RacyPy[/url]" puplet on Toshiba Tecra 8200. PIII, 256 MB RAM.
[url=http://raspberrypy.tumblr.com/]RaspberryPy[/url]: Lobster and I blog about the RPi.

rhadon

#68 Post by rhadon »

Hi,

I got a problem with PPM.

Downloading the packages was OK, but when processing packages into a standard format, every line looks like

Code: Select all

program_name /usr/local/petget/find_cat: line1: syntax error: unexpected "("
. Stopped with ctrl-c.

Now at least debian-squeeze-main was broken. Well, it's allways good to have a backup :wink: . So I copied back the original debian packages and I can use PPM again.
Is it me (maybe a corrupt img) or a general problem?

Audio, mp3:

amixer cset numid=3 1 
for headphones/ audio jack
and

amixer cset numid=3 2
for hdmi works fine with gxine

Video is la little bit less stuttering with gxine than with gnome mplayer. In both cases no full sceen possible. VLC isn't reliable with Rasp.

I've read in the Raspbmc forum:
Milhouse wrote:The Raspberry Pi Foundation have indicated that a codec pack (for MPEG2, DTS, DD etc.) with full GPU acceleration may be made available for the current Pi's "for under £10" at some point in the future. The cost is to satisfy the licensing requirements, but certainly a more powerful Raspberry Pi is not required.

Once available, current Pi's should be able to decode (and maybe even encode) pretty much anything using just the GPU.
Looks like that software decoding is too much for the Rasp. Maybe changing the ARM/GPU memory split in start.elf could help a little bit? Not tested.

For mp4 (and some avi movies), omxplayer seems to be the best for now (plays even 1080p.mp4 :wink:, but sound only via audio jack ).

~Rolf
Ich verwende "frugal", und das ist gut so. :wink:
Raspberry Pi without Puppy? No, thanks.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#69 Post by Lobster »

Yes - I have been quite busy - but mainly with programming things. The last issue of the MagPi had something by me on Scratch and I am hoping to get something in the next issue - a game in Python.
Good news.
I am too lousy a programmer to do much programming but I sincerely hope a new batch of programming language creators is enabled.

Some of the best and simplest to use languages have been propriety (Curl, Amos, Dark Basic). My feeling is many kids are going to want to design with GUI enabled or built in, type languages, such as with Smalltalk . . . but that is another story . . .

MagPi is a great mag. 8)

Here is our current status as I understand it
with sickgut chomping at the leash awaiting actual hardware to create a 'Console/Debian Puppi'

I am awaiting alpha3 from Barry, with or without sound . . .

xcowsay 1.4 code might be available for compiling
which makes a surprisingly good way of doing presentations . . .
Still working on mine . . .
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)

BarryK
Puppy Master

#70 Post by BarryK »

01micko wrote:I'm just installing my "SLR" (SLacko for Rasberry Pi, built from Armedslack-13.37) to an SD card, used Barry's kernel, latest .img (july 7).

It will be a very different build (if it works). It has later Alsa than Debian, see if that makes a difference to sound.

If the image works but sound doesn't I might try a build from -current.

LATER: boo.... kernel panic on boot.... hmmm..

"Kerenel panic - not syncing: No init found. Try passing init= option to kernel. See Documentation/init.txt for guidance."
I need to upload latest Woof, will do that asap.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#71 Post by BarryK »

rhadon wrote:Audio, mp3:

amixer cset numid=3 1 
for headphones/ audio jack
and

amixer cset numid=3 2
for hdmi works fine with gxine

Video is la little bit less stuttering with gxine than with gnome mplayer. In both cases no full sceen possible. VLC isn't reliable with Rasp.
I am jealous that you guys have working sound, even if it is stuttering!

This is my sound status:
http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=02889

...I have suggested how alpha3 can be setup so that sound works, if any of you guys have further suggestions, let me know.

lumi

#72 Post by lumi »

will the little music player support flac files? and pure bitstreaming?

make a nice little music player to my dac then :)

01micko

#73 Post by 01micko »

IIRC thunor wrote a music player but I think it only supports mp3/ogg, depends mpg123, ogg123.

Mplayer likely has support for most formats, maybe thunor's app could be made to use it?
BarryK wrote:I need to upload latest Woof, will do that asap.
Thanks!

EDIT: I hacked thunor's playmusic (sorry thunor!)

diff:

diff -ru playmusic-0.1.7/funcrcfileWrite playmusic_mplayer-0.1.7/funcrcfileWrite
--- playmusic-0.1.7/funcrcfileWrite	2011-12-06 22:41:30.000000000 +1000
+++ playmusic_mplayer-0.1.7/funcrcfileWrite	2012-07-10 08:00:51.383796981 +1000
@@ -25,19 +25,25 @@
 	## Write the players section.
 	if [ $1 = new ]; then
 		## Find a flac player.
-		if [ -n "`which flac123`" ]; then flac="flac123 -q"; fi
+		if [ -n "`which flac123`" ]; then flac="flac123 -q"
+		elif [ -n "`which mplayer`" ]; then flac="mplayer -ao alsa"
+		fi

-		## Find an mp3 player.
-		if [ -n "`which mpg123`" ]; then mp3="mpg123 -q"
+		## Find an mp3 player. #prefer mplayer on raspi
+		if [ -n "`which mplayer`" ]; then mp3="mplayer -ao alsa"
 		elif [ -n "`which mpg321`" ]; then mp3="mpg321 -q"
 		elif [ -n "`which madplay`" ]; then mp3="madplay -q"
 		fi

## Find an ogg player.
-		if [ -n "`which ogg123`" ]; then ogg="ogg123 -q"; fi
+		if [ -n "`which ogg123`" ]; then ogg="ogg123 -q"
+		elif [ -n "`which mplayer`" ]; then ogg="mplayer -ao alsa"
+		fi

## Find a player for other.
-		if [ -n "`which playsound`" ]; then other="playsound"; fi
+		if [ -n "`which playsound`" ]; then other="playsound"
+		elif [ -n "`which mplayer`" ]; then other="mplayer -ao alsa"
+		fi

## Find a wav player.
 		if [ -n "`which wavplay`" ]; then wav="wavplay -q"
diff -ru playmusic-0.1.7/main playmusic_mplayer-0.1.7/main
--- playmusic-0.1.7/main	2011-12-06 22:41:30.000000000 +1000
+++ playmusic_mplayer-0.1.7/main	2012-07-10 07:32:19.880379245 +1000
@@ -121,8 +121,9 @@
 	exit 1
 fi

-## Create a temporary directory.
-TEMP_DIR=`mktemp -d --tmpdir ${TARGET}.XXXXXXXX`
+## Create a temporary directory. #hack for rpi 120710
+#TEMP_DIR=`mktemp -d --tmpdir ${TARGET}.XXXXXXXX`
+TEMP_DIR=`mktemp -dt ${TARGET}.XXXXXXXX`
 if [ $? -ne 0 ]; then
 	echo "Error: Couldn't create temporary directory."
 	exit 1

It should play whatever mplayer supports. There is a pinstall.sh that makes it the default in woof or in a running puppy you get the option to make it default.

Have fun!
Attachments
playmusic_mplayer-0.1.7-noarch.pet
(18.75 KiB) Downloaded 569 times
Last edited by 01micko on Mon 09 Jul 2012, 22:14, edited 3 times in total.

peterw

Raspberry pi and SDHC

#74 Post by peterw »

Hi

I am looking for suggestions as to what I am doing wrong. I can't get the Puppy SAP image to my SDHC. The history so far.

I have recently received my board. To get it to work reliably I had to add two parallel power supply wires to the +5V and 0V USB lead to achieve a stable 5V at the board TP1 and TP2. It then booted up the debian programme using their procedure to write it to the SDHC and my keyboard and mouse attached to a powered usb hub works fine.

Knowing my hardware is OK, I have then used Barry's procedure to write the image:
# unxz --stdout raspi-sd-4gb-sap6-5.95.img.xz | dd of=/dev/sdb
# sync
In my case it is sdb1

It writes the image but it is not then recognised by the system and does not produce an icon on the screen. dmesg shows that the SHDC is seen with errors (Unhandled sense error). If inserted to the board the PWR light comes on but not the OK green LED. To get the SDHCs to work again I have to use the HP usb utility.

I have tried this with two SDHCs and got the same result. I have also tried the raspberry pi method by uncompressing the SAP file and using a modified version of their command:
dd bs=1M if=raspi-sd-4gb-sap6-5.96.img of=/dev/sdb1

Looking at the debian SDHC it has a 75MB vfat partition and a large ext4 one. Should I have done something to the partition of the SDHC first?

Sorry this is bit of a ramble. I am running out of ideas.

Peterw

eowens2

#75 Post by eowens2 »

A question about the Puppy Package Manager.

I wanted to add some board games to SAP Alpha2, so I entered "Ace-of-Penguins" to the "Find" field of PPM. PPM promptly found the file in debian-squeeze-main, I checked "examine dependencies" and PPM downloaded the file and any necessary dependencies and gave me a final "Successfully Installed" message.

I closed down PPM and went to the "Fun" menu, hoping to find some new games there, but there were no new items in the menu.

I went to the console and used "find" to look for *ace-of-penguins* and all of the files were found in various directories of "/usr" and a session can be initiated with something like "/usr/games/ace-frecell" or "/usr/games/ace-taipei".
So the question is, does PPM not install programs into Puppy's menus if they are not a dot-PET package?

Another observation about PPM. I must have somehow accidentally un-ticked "debian-squeeze-contrib" and "debian-squeeze-main" as repos, because they disappeared from the list at the top of the PPM main page. I clicked on "Configure package manager" and re-ticked those two repositories, clicked on "O.K." and exited PPM.

However on re-entering PPM, those two repos are still missing from the list (and if I again go into "Configure package manager", those two repos are again un-ticked).

When I look at /root/.packages/REPOS_DISTRO_COMPAT I find "http://us.debian.org/debian" which I assume is debian-main. PPM seems to be not remembering that I want to include debian-squeeze-contrib and debian-squeeze-main. Or do I need to edit REPOS_DISTRO_COMPAT?
Thanks!

01micko

Re: Raspberry pi and SDHC

#76 Post by 01micko »

peterw wrote: # unxz --stdout raspi-sd-4gb-sap6-5.95.img.xz | dd of=/dev/sdb
# sync
In my case it is sdb1
.. and therein lies the problem. sdb1 will be a partition on the device, even though it may be the whole space on the device. Please just use sdb. The image needs to be written to the device, not a partition.

HTH

BarryK
Puppy Master

Re: Raspberry pi and SDHC

#77 Post by BarryK »

peterw wrote:Hi

I am looking for suggestions as to what I am doing wrong. I can't get the Puppy SAP image to my SDHC. The history so far.

I have recently received my board. To get it to work reliably I had to add two parallel power supply wires to the +5V and 0V USB lead to achieve a stable 5V at the board TP1 and TP2. It then booted up the debian programme using their procedure to write it to the SDHC and my keyboard and mouse attached to a powered usb hub works fine.

Knowing my hardware is OK, I have then used Barry's procedure to write the image:
# unxz --stdout raspi-sd-4gb-sap6-5.95.img.xz | dd of=/dev/sdb
# sync
In my case it is sdb1

It writes the image but it is not then recognised by the system and does not produce an icon on the screen. dmesg shows that the SHDC is seen with errors (Unhandled sense error). If inserted to the board the PWR light comes on but not the OK green LED. To get the SDHCs to work again I have to use the HP usb utility.

I have tried this with two SDHCs and got the same result. I have also tried the raspberry pi method by uncompressing the SAP file and using a modified version of their command:
dd bs=1M if=raspi-sd-4gb-sap6-5.96.img of=/dev/sdb1

Looking at the debian SDHC it has a 75MB vfat partition and a large ext4 one. Should I have done something to the partition of the SDHC first?

Sorry this is bit of a ramble. I am running out of ideas.

Peterw
No, /dev/sdb1 is wrong. In your case it is /dev/sdb
You write the image to the entire drive, not the partition.

EDIT: ah ha! 01micko already replied!

BarryK
Puppy Master

#78 Post by BarryK »

eowens2 wrote:A question about the Puppy Package Manager.

I wanted to add some board games to SAP Alpha2, so I entered "Ace-of-Penguins" to the "Find" field of PPM. PPM promptly found the file in debian-squeeze-main, I checked "examine dependencies" and PPM downloaded the file and any necessary dependencies and gave me a final "Successfully Installed" message.

I closed down PPM and went to the "Fun" menu, hoping to find some new games there, but there were no new items in the menu.

I went to the console and used "find" to look for *ace-of-penguins* and all of the files were found in various directories of "/usr" and a session can be initiated with something like "/usr/games/ace-frecell" or "/usr/games/ace-taipei".
So the question is, does PPM not install programs into Puppy's menus if they are not a dot-PET package?

Another observation about PPM. I must have somehow accidentally un-ticked "debian-squeeze-contrib" and "debian-squeeze-main" as repos, because they disappeared from the list at the top of the PPM main page. I clicked on "Configure package manager" and re-ticked those two repositories, clicked on "O.K." and exited PPM.

However on re-entering PPM, those two repos are still missing from the list (and if I again go into "Configure package manager", those two repos are again un-ticked).

When I look at /root/.packages/REPOS_DISTRO_COMPAT I find "http://us.debian.org/debian" which I assume is debian-main. PPM seems to be not remembering that I want to include debian-squeeze-contrib and debian-squeeze-main. Or do I need to edit REPOS_DISTRO_COMPAT?
Thanks!
Ah yes, there is a problem with executables in /usr/games. I had better put that one on the to-do list.

BarryK
Puppy Master

#79 Post by BarryK »

There is a bug with using a usb wireless broadband mobile thingy.

My Optus modem, when I plug it in, is supposed to cause 'usbserial' kernel module to load, and then /dev/ttyUSB0 (etc) get created, but none of that is happening.

I found that manually running

# modrobe usbserial product=0x12d1 vendor=0x140c

then it does work.

My modem is one that does not require a usb-modeswitch, it is simultaneously in storage and modem modes.

So, I am trying to figure this one out.

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#80 Post by Lobster »

I can now use keyboard keys like delete and arrows.
However typing can involve considerable and disconcerting screen lag. I notice this particularly in Chromium where I am now.

Tried to find settings in HDMI TV to enable sound. No luck there.

# aplay leave.wav
ALSA lib confmisc.c:768:(parse_card) cannot find card '0'
ALSA lib conf.c:4170:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_card_driver returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib confmisc.c:392:(snd_func_concat) error evaluating strings
ALSA lib conf.c:4170:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_concat returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib confmisc.c:1251:(snd_func_refer) error evaluating name
ALSA lib conf.c:4170:(_snd_config_evaluate) function snd_func_refer returned error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib conf.c:4649:(snd_config_expand) Evaluate error: No such file or directory
ALSA lib pcm.c:2190:(snd_pcm_open_noupdate) Unknown PCM default
aplay: main:654: audio open error: No such file or directory
# 
Have NOT yet activated settings in config, which I will do next.

Just reporting in.

Puppy
Linux that barks
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)