Dpup Exprimo 5.X.3.4.12 with 3.4.2 kernel.

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
pemasu

#701 Post by pemasu »

Dpup 5.X.3.4.2.4 reuploaded as fixed version.

Just download it....no need to read the below...if you just want the fixed version. Lol.

Download link: http://smokey01.com/pemasu/DpupSqueeze5 ... imo5X3424/

Radky. You nailed it !!! Thank you. Now I know how to control what there is enabled at initial PPM launch. Thanks. I have searched several scripts...and hacked .3builddistro script...but that file was the crucial one. Manually editing it gives you control what there will be in the first launch. Really great. I dont know how those typos does appear there...but who cares, lol. Now I know how to fix them.

About savefile non-creation problem. I would like to get more information of the error texts. For example pic of the screen and upload the error text pic here. Also what type of filesystem is the target and to what media has the save file creation been targeted: hdd, usb-hdd, usb-stick, sd card.....It might be that the certain type of filesystem ie ntfs or certain media gives the problem. I need to pinpoint the main problem. I cant try to fix the problem without knowing which causes it. Because for me it works. I will start to inspect the problem myself also.

Mount-full has these straight dependencies. I need to check if one of them has changed compared to my old builds:
Information to Application: mount-FULL
linux-gate.so.1 => (0xffffe000)
libblkid.so.1 => /lib/libblkid.so.1 (0xb7747000)
libuuid.so.1 => /lib/libuuid.so.1 (0xb7743000)
libselinux.so.1 => /lib/libselinux.so.1 (0xb7727000)
libsepol.so.1 => /lib/libsepol.so.1 (0xb76f2000)
libc.so.6 => /lib/libc.so.6 (0xb75ad000)
/lib/ld-linux.so.2 (0xb7765000)
libdl.so.2 => /lib/libdl.so.2 (0xb75a9000)
Gnuxo. Thank you of important bug report. There was gecko-mediaplayer....but it was the incompatible older one. I havent removed the older version from woof database and so it was selected instead of the newer one. Fixed. Now there is the right one.

About vlc-mozilla-plugin. It is now included in the vlc-2.0.1 which has been uploaded to the exprimo repo. The new recompiled version replaced the older one. The vlc-mozilla-plugin which is in repo might also work, but I havent tested. It was compiled against the older vlc devel files. I will remove it soon and update the database file, but I didnt remember to do that for this fixed release.

I have woofed, built and I have reuploaded the fixed 5.X.3.4.2.4 .

It has the fixed guvcview, fixed gecko-mediaplayer and the PPM repos are what I liked them to be.

Download link: http://smokey01.com/pemasu/DpupSqueeze5 ... imo5X3424/

pemasu

#702 Post by pemasu »

Terry H. What kind of wifi you have. If you type in console: lspci -nn > lspci.text.gz and upload it to the forum, I get the specs or your wifi.

feelsub

#703 Post by feelsub »

Tested 5.X.3.4.2.4 with 3.4.2 kernel.

Excellent work: upto date : ntfs, ffmpeg, VLC.

Now: with puppy exprimo, lost links with
* abiword286-gnumeric
* skype 4.0

For Mplayer same issue as with previous version:

Code: Select all

# mplayer "/mnt/sda2/Documents and Settings/Angel/Mes documents/test/bachata.flv"
MPlayer2 f63dbad (C) 2000-2012 MPlayer Team

Playing /mnt/sda2/Documents and Settings/Angel/Mes documents/test/bachata.flv.
Detected file format: FLV format (libavformat)

MPlayer interrupted by signal 4 in module: demux_open
- MPlayer crashed by an 'Illegal Instruction'.
  It usually happens when you run it on a CPU different than the one it was
  compiled/optimized for.
  Verify this!
- MPlayer crashed by bad usage of CPU/FPU/RAM.
  Recompile MPlayer with --enable-debug and make a 'gdb' backtrace and
  disassembly. Details in DOCS/HTML/en/bugreports_what.html#bugreports_crash.
- MPlayer crashed. This shouldn't happen.
  It can be a bug in the MPlayer code _or_ in your drivers _or_ in your
  gcc version. If you think it's MPlayer's fault, please read
  DOCS/HTML/en/bugreports.html and follow the instructions there. We can't and
  won't help unless you provide this information when reporting a possible bug.
# 
Not problem with the newly build VLC.

FYI:
LibreOffice 3.5 installs correctly, but for once under the graphics menu.
LibreOffice 3.6 should at last (I haven't tested yet) bring some major speed improvements.

Abiword 2.9.0 successfully install.

stu90

#704 Post by stu90 »

Hi Pemasu,
Unfortunately the save file problem still persists for me - installed the pusaveconfig-2.2.4-dpup.pet and used the desktop save GUI to create a 256mb .4fs save file - during the shut down process it creates a save file then hangs requiring a hard shut down - during this a screen full of messages appear - i will do a fresh install later today and take a picture on my phone of these messages.

Saving to sda1 - which is ext4 partition.
Grub2 install code:

Code: Select all

menuentry "Exprimo squeeze-5.X.3.4.2.4-SCSI" {
        set root='(hd0,1)'
        linux /squeeze-5.X.3.4.2.4-SCSI/vmlinuz pmedia=atahd psubdir=squeeze-5.X.3.4.2.4-SCSI
        initrd /squeeze-5.X.3.4.2.4-SCSI/initrd.gz
}

Creating an empty .3fs save file with SimpleSave then booting with that works ok - wifi is detected and works on second boot.

cheers.

EDIT:
Please see attached images of messages during save file creation - sorry for the not very good quality as the were taken with my shaky hands on a camera phone :

First get image 1 - then it creates a save file - then image 2 where it hangs and i have to hard shut down.
A save file is created but i do not know however if this is perhaps corrupted?

http://i.imgur.com/4iSaw.jpg

http://i.imgur.com/Zxrel.jpg

Terry H

#705 Post by Terry H »

pemasu wrote:Terry H. What kind of wifi you have. If you type in console: lspci -nn > lspci.text.gz and upload it to the forum, I get the specs or your wifi.
pemasu,

With all the discussion about bcm43 I didn't include that information. Sorry, I should have said I have Broadcom 4311 Wifi 802.11a/b/g.

Terry H

#706 Post by Terry H »

stu90 wrote:
Creating an empty .3fs save file with SimpleSave then booting with that works ok - wifi is detected and works on second boot.
I downloaded the simplesaver pet and created a.3fs save file, however when i shutdown/reboot, I still get the create save file dialogue and resultant errors and requires hard shutdown.

James C

#707 Post by James C »

Fresh frugal install of latest 5.X.3.4.2.4 on Athlon XP box.......no problems. Ext4 savefile on ext3 partition (internal hdd)..... no problems.
Fresh frugal install of latest on the P4 test box.... no problems. Ext4 savefile on ext4 partition internal hdd) ...... no problems.
Upgraded frugal install from 5.X.3.4.2.3 to 5.X.3.4.2.4...... no problem.Another ext 4 savefile on ext3 internal partition ..... no problems.
Lastly, live cd with ext4 savefile on NTFS internal hdd partition....no problems.

The way this forum is messing up today I hesitate to post much....afraid the post may just disappear........ :lol:

pemasu

#708 Post by pemasu »

We have snail song in Finland for these kind days...I hope my 1Mb upload get through...
I am still at loss with the savefile problem. It should not be due to my ntfs-3g upgrade because stu90 did the saving to the ext4 partition.
What I have traced...I did download the latest aufs-util after working 5.X.3.4.2.1 and I have used that or new download of the same aufs-util git.
So...I compiled my older aufs-util which I had. It has been compiled as static which should be more stable that shared libs compile. I am not sure if you can downgrade the aufs-util on the fly....but if you are willing you could test this pet...if it makes change. If I could reproduce the problem...It would help me a lot to nail the problem.

It is hard for me to ask to test....because it seems to need hard poweroff. I know how dangerous that is....even if you use journaling ext4. So....do the tests if you want. I cant ask you to do it....

Terry H. That broadcom should be happy with wl driver module...am I not right. And it should be the default choice for you. I am not sure what goes wrong. I need to check that I had used rerwins latest files.

Terry H

#709 Post by Terry H »

I tried the aufs pet, but still unable to create a save file.

Regarding the bcm43, as I can't get a save file created to then be able to reboot, I can't tell if it will work or not. Wifi does however work when I use a save file created using 5.X.3.4.2.2.

stu90

#710 Post by stu90 »

Terry H wrote:
stu90 wrote:
I downloaded the simplesaver pet and created a.3fs save file, however when i shutdown/reboot, I still get the create save file dialogue and resultant errors and requires hard shutdown.
Hi Terry H,
Did you add squeezesave- prefix to the start of the save file name? squeezesave-somename.3fs
Creating save file in current session will not save that session as the save file is not loaded until the next boot.
Or you can create the save file for 5.X.3.4.2.4 while running another pup just prefix it with squeezesave- and put it in 5.X.3.4.2.4 frugal directory then boot.

pemasu

#711 Post by pemasu »

Feelsub and other single core processor users. I have compiled Mplayer2 with more conservative tuning. This version should be good for intel Celeron.
http://smokey01.com/pemasu/pet_packages ... 12-git.pet

It has been compiled from latest git. the installed pet overwrites the existing multicore optimized version.

Skype-4.0 pet and abiword-2.8.6-gnumeric-1.10.17-goffice-0.8.17-dpup.pet has been uploaded. They were missing, even though mentioned in Packages-puppy-exprimo-official database file. I have to bundle this abiword version because it uses different goffice version than is in repo separately.

I might downgrade to the mplayer2 to this singlecore version if it seems behave.

Packages-puppy-exprimo-official has been uploaded also. So you can update the database file using PPM. You can update only it, by bypassing the other database files. Especially squeeze database files takes ages to be converted to the puppy format. Only addition so far is the Mplayer2 for single processor though.
Last edited by pemasu on Tue 10 Jul 2012, 17:16, edited 1 time in total.

pemasu

#712 Post by pemasu »

Gnuxo. Thank you of the Dooble-1.31 pet. It seems to be nice Qt - webkit browser. I am posting from it. Youtube with flash works. Saved bookmarks are not remembered...at least not oob.
I have uploaded it to the exprimo repo....after some tuning.

Bear with me....I try just to school you to be master contributor.

First...I stripped your pet..and the installed size reduced from 23 Mb to 13 Mb ! Pet size reduced from about 7.3 Mb to 3.3 Mb.Stripping removes from the executables and libs somekind debugging and other unneeded symbols which are not needed when you just use the app. You wont get full debug information after that...but who cares.

Secondly I included the pinstall.sh script to the pet which asks if you want the browser to be default browser.

Thirdly I did run splitpkg and removed development headers also. Not needed with just using the app.

Preferable place for the launching script or executable is /usr but in dooble case, the stuff is its own folder and dooble.sh is just wrapper script so..../usr/local is ok. Nice wrapper script by the way. Simple...do its job.

So.....
---- new2dir make install or strippkg and splitpkg. You really need to strip your compiles. Sorry of my lecturing note....I just cant help myself....

And great job with compile. Dooble works just fine. It needs qt basic with webkit to work. Packages-puppy-exprimo-official database file has been updated.
Download link: http://smokey01.com/pemasu/pet_packages ... e-1.31.pet
Last edited by pemasu on Tue 10 Jul 2012, 17:16, edited 1 time in total.

Terry H

#713 Post by Terry H »

stu90 wrote:
Hi Terry H,
Did you add squeezesave- prefix to the start of the save file name? squeezesave-somename.3fs
Creating save file in current session will not save that session as the save file is not loaded until the next boot.
Or you can create the save file for 5.X.3.4.2.4 while running another pup just prefix it with squeezesave- and put it in 5.X.3.4.2.4 frugal directory then boot.

Thanks for the assistance, I forgot to change the prefix to squeezesave. I just reran it now using another puppy, logged back in to exprimo, then rebooted and all is OK, wifi working.

pemasu

#714 Post by pemasu »

Good to hear you got latest dpup working. Of course it is unsatisfactory that the problem exists. But...I need more clues. I suspect aufs-3.4 - kernel state - some module handling problem atm.

But....I noticed this thread about Mixxx: http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=73108
666philb did it again. I dont understand from where he finds out these nice apps. Previous great finding was that gtk-youtube-viewer. Thank you 666philb.
I didnt test his compile...but I compiled it from source in dpup exprimo.

Download link for Mixxx:
http://smokey01.com/pemasu/pet_packages ... 1.10.1.pet
http://smokey01.com/pemasu/pet_packages ... 1.10.1.pet

The result pic and the needed, adamant dependencies are next:
Attachments
Mixxx-dependencies.jpg
(36.36 KiB) Downloaded 927 times
mixxx.jpg
(45.69 KiB) Downloaded 911 times

pemasu

#715 Post by pemasu »

I spent almost whole yesterday in nearest big city....where my just graduated daughter rent her first own room. I spent several hours in furniture shop, ordereded her 3g modem stick, sim card for it and and the contract to use them. Plays fine. 13.90 euros / month, no download limit, up to 21 Mb/s, not hsdpa connection though, I think it is umts contract with that price only. HD video from youtube plays without glitch. She needs them....her boyfriend started Finnish Army yesterday....army widow...

She has a view to harbour. Really great first apartment I would say. I also attached 4 lamps to the the roof and my shoulder really ached after that. But I got them wired and working. I tuned the cable TV stations and brought her bicycle, acguired a lock for it. Yeah...in our village she never locked it and the key had vanished. Lol.

Well....I wanted to see what her view and surrounds looks from google earth and I downloaded the latest deb and packaged it as pet. Above was just prelude for this latest offer.

I dont know if it needs other libs, probably not. I had so much installed after my compiles, that cant be sure. Xorg-high I had installed.

Google-earth-6.2.2 download link: http://smokey01.com/pemasu/pet_packages ... -6.2.2.pet

recobayu

aurora gtktheme

#716 Post by recobayu »

hi everyone, just making more perfect to this dpup, i want to tell something i feel. when i use "aurora" gtktheme (default in exprimo). when i open rox and then i press arrow key in keyboard to select a file, i can't see a square dot around my file/folder. it makes me a little confuse. but when i change my gtktheme to "stardust" or "polished-blue", the boundary dots appear. i think it's better if the nice looking "aurora" gtktheme can do like that. :wink:
thanks

pemasu

#717 Post by pemasu »

I have created experimental build which reverts rerwins patches to the 5.X.3.4.2.1 state. It has also my previous shared aufs-util. All the else is up to date...in fact fbreader has been updated to the technosaurus`s latest version.

And....I have got positive feedback from Terry H that the savefile problem has been fixed. So...my main suspicion is that the new firmware.dep - modulesconfig file - all-firmware folder new ssb - b43 - wl loading schematics has a problem. It makes kernel hang when those modules should be unloaded and inhibits of course the savefile creation. This is of course a hunch and suspicion only. But....my aufs-util as shared compile should not do that. It is in fact less safe than static compile but...I did this experimental build as I it was in working build.

So....broadcom chip owners which had savefile creation problem and kernel crash and need to do hard power off....here is the build for you....of course it works for others also:

Download link for 5.X.3.4.2.5: http://smokey01.com/pemasu/dpup-test/DpupExprimo5X3425/

stu90

#718 Post by stu90 »

Hi Pemasu,

Here is a .pet for PaulStretch for testing.
http://hypermammut.sourceforge.net/paulstretch/

You will have to work your magic on these .pets to strip and also add the jack-audio-connection-kit.pet as a linked / needed dependency for the Paulstretch.pet

paulstretch
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3009188/paulstretch-2.2.2.2.pet
Jack-audio
http://dl.dropbox.com/u/3009188/jack-au ... 3-i486.pet

Just a heads up if any one does not here the audio playing with Paulstretch try enabling the 'capture' option in Retrovol tray icon.

thanks.

pemasu

#719 Post by pemasu »

Stu90. Thanks. It stretched the audio just fine. Now I can create atonal music for my family :)

Jim1911

Exprimo 5.X.3.4.2.5

#720 Post by Jim1911 »

Frugal installation on an ext4 partition is running fine except for a problem installing NVIDIA driver using the getnivdia-0.5.pet which does not recognize the devx file.

I continue to be amazed at how fast you continue to put out your fine distributions.

Cheers, :D
Jim
Attachments
image-1.jpg
(72.96 KiB) Downloaded 439 times