Dpup Exprimo 5.X.3.4.12 with 3.4.2 kernel.

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
pemasu

#641 Post by pemasu »

Charlie6. I created a pet of the modified xorgwizard and included BROOKDALE script to be called from xorgwizard.

Should you install xorg-high also ?
Attachments
brookdale-fix-0.0.1.pet
(25.03 KiB) Downloaded 290 times

shinobar

PPM in woof

#642 Post by shinobar »

pemasu wrote:Mavrothals improvement to suggest which repos to search, possibility to use Ziggy UI
The 2 improvement has brought new bug and I cannot fix them for now. That is why i do not sync with the woof,
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

charlie6

Brookdale and X problem

#643 Post by charlie6 »

Hi Pemasu,
Hi 01micko,
At first, many thanks for your time !
pemasu wrote:Charlie6. I created a pet of the modified xorgwizard and included BROOKDALE script to be called from xorgwizard.

Should you install xorg-high also ?
I will test that pet ... although I resist to install mesa, libdrm and extra xorg-server-intel (because lot of trials with few good results) , excepted if really needed of course.

Last edited: below is the post where i told about "good news" ...as X restarted several times repeatidly last night ... afterwards i went to bed thinking "problem solved ...but maybe too simplist fix ? ". This morning ...bad news ... the link mentioned below could be of interest ! then .... Aaargh ...!
also please disregard what charlie6 last night wrote: Next, good news: here maybe a way to fix:
I retrieved yesterday that thread with title " [SOLVED] Intel 82845G "
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions ... page3.html
and did the following:
Another possible solution for the 82845G video driver problem:
1.) put the following in /etc/X11/xorg.conf in Section "Device":

Code: Select all

Section "Device"
Identifier "Card0"
Driver "intel"
Option "Shadow" "true"
Option "DRI" "false"
BoardName "Intel Corporation 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE Chipset Integrated Graphics Device (rev 01)"
BusID "PCI:0:2:0"
EndSection
To find out the exact BoardName and revision Nr., run "lspci | grep VGA" to find out the "BusID" and the "BoardName", for example:

# lspci | grep VGA 
and still moreover added in /etc/X11/xorg.conf :

Section "Extensions"
Option "Composite" 	"Disable"
EndSection
I moreover created a /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d folder where I placed this two files:
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/i845G.conf

Section "Device"
    Identifier 	"Card0"
    Driver 	"intel"
    Option 	"Shadow" 	"true"
    Option 	"DRI"   	"false"
    BoardName 	"Intel Corporation 82845G/GL[Brookdale-G]/GE Chipset Integrated Graphics Device (rev 01)"
    BusID 	"PCI:0:2:0"
EndSection
/etc/X11/xorg.conf.d/disable-composite.conf

Section "Extensions"
    Option 	"Composite" 	"Disable"
EndSection
All this now works OK: X desktop restart either at each X restart or Ctrl-Alt-BackSpace + doing 'xwin' once in console mode (here currently doing 'xwin icewm' as icewm has been installed :D ).
To be tested for different Brookdale revision ids ... I remember forum members CowBoy, MHHP, maybe szindian also if i good remember ... 01micko also owns one of those Brookdale-featured-clunker ... :wink:
now continuing testings ...
Cheers, Charlie

charlie6

Brookdale 82845G X restart problem

#644 Post by charlie6 »

Hi Pemasu,
have made some tests using the above brookdale-fix-0.0.1.pet:
tests performed
1st) on a fresh 5X3422 pfix=ram session without configuring locale, keyboard, etc ... to not be asked to ... restart X;
results: see below under 3)
2nd) on my current work squeezesave session (using icewm); (after; of course removing te previously created /etc/X11/xorg.conf.d folder; as also backuped /usr/sbn/xorgwizard ans /etc/X11/xorg.conf ...one never knows... :wink: )
3) results:
both tests results in a dramatic improvment :D :
3.1) using jwm
-step #1: /Menu/Session/Restart X --> X desktop restart OK
-step #2: again /Menu/Session/Restart X --> black X desktop + only mouse cursor working;
-step #3: do Ctrl-Alt-BackSpace to switch to consle mode; there do 'xwin' --> then X desktop restart OK
-step #4: go back to step #1 and loop repeatidly through #2 to #4; (tested ca. 10 loops )
it looks acting like a toggle switch ... one time restarting X from desktop Menu, on the next time having to do it using Ctrl-Alt-BackSpace; and again and again ..
conclusion: imho it is a dramatic improvment as i do no longer have to reboot :D

3.2) using icewm
-step #1: open a console and do 'restartwm icewm' --> X desktop restart OK
here it works OK;
Avoid restarting X doing /Menu/Session/Restart X --> black X desktop + mouse cursor; here need to do Ctrl-Alt-BackSpace and reboot (doing 'xwin icewm' or 'xwin' dooes not help)
Using icewm, do /Menu/Other/Restart Icewm instead .

To Pemasu and 01micko, also many thanks for this improvment !
Charlie

Gnuxo

#645 Post by Gnuxo »

I tried installing the browser-plugin-vlc 2.01 from debian's website but when I try to play youtube, Firefox crashes. :(

Some help?

How do I get the VLC 2.01 plugin to work?

pemasu

#646 Post by pemasu »

Gnuxo. I didnt enable vlc-mozilla-plugin when I compiled vlc. I didnt have the needed dev libs....so it was automatically disabled. It would need vlc recompile to include it.

Gnuxo

#647 Post by Gnuxo »

Awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww :(

Why can't I just install any deb?

pemasu

#648 Post by pemasu »

Gnuxo and others. I compiled the vlc-mozilla-plugin against my vlc. It was not compile time option....it needed independent compiling.
I tested it by removing those gecko-mediaplayer plugins in /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins. It was easiest way to change the default linking to all multimediaformats. I am sure there are more sensible ways to do itl.

I was able to play avi movie and stream net radio in Firefox...just like with gecko-mediaplayer and gnome-player combo using mplayer backend.
Attachments
vlc-mozilla-plugin-2.0.1.pet
(48.99 KiB) Downloaded 214 times

pemasu

#649 Post by pemasu »

Oh...Dpup Exprimo 5.X.3.4.2.3 has been uploaded. This was mainly bug fix release and testing the latest woof.
Worked for me. I recompiled the kernel for getting 5 new dvb tuners included which I had missed. The kernel specs are the same. It was only module addition recompile. But I have changed to use statically compiled aufs-util 3 instead of shared compiled one. Due to 01mickos feedback about possible problems with shared libs compile. The main sfs is slightly bigger due to that.
I did total packages-pet purge and new downloads...I hope there didnt happen downgrade of versions of any applications. I upgrade them if that happened.

Download link: http://smokey01.com/pemasu/DpupSqueeze5 ... imo5X3423/

James C

#650 Post by James C »

pemasu wrote:Oh...Dpup Exprimo 5.X.3.4.2.3 has been uploaded. This was mainly bug fix release and testing the latest woof.
Downloading......

James C

#651 Post by James C »

Fresh manual frugal install of 5.X.3.5.2.3 on the old Athlon XP box. As usual, internet,display and sound all working on initial boot.

# report-video
Dpup Exprimo, version 5.X.3.4.2.3 on Fri 6 Jul 2012

Chip description:
0.0 VGA compatible controller
nVidia Corporation NV18 [GeForce4 MX 440 AGP 8x] (rev c1)
oem: NVidia
product: NV18 () Board Chip Rev A2

X Server: Xorg
Driver used: is

X.Org version: 1.7.7
dimensions: 1440x900 pixels (411x263 millimeters)
depth of root window: 16 planes

...the above also recorded in /tmp/root/ as report-video,
and archived with xorg.conf and Xorg.0.log as report-video-full.gz
#
Using the "nv" driver.

-Computer-
Processor : AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2400+
Memory : 1033MB (209MB used)
Operating System : Unknown distribution
User Name : root (root)
Date/Time : Fri 06 Jul 2012 06:31:05 PM CDT
-Display-
Resolution : 1440x900 pixels
OpenGL Renderer : Unknown
X11 Vendor : The X.Org Foundation
-Multimedia-
Audio Adapter : VIA8233 - VIA 8235

Looking good so far...... :)

shinobar

pnethood

#652 Post by shinobar »

Sorry, the pnethood in 5.X.3.4.2.3 is the same file name but old one.
Please re-install the one of the newer time stamp.
pnethood-0.7.i18n.pet 05-Jul-2012 18:31 18k
http://shino.pos.to/party/bridge.cgi?puppy/opt/
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

Gnuxo

#653 Post by Gnuxo »

Thank you Pemasu for compiling the player, it opens and the browser doesn't crash.

However, I can't seem to play any media with the plugin or the player itself. I tried posting some youtube links into VLC and it says it doesn't understand vp80. Am I missing codecs?

James C

#654 Post by James C »

Manual upgrade to 5.X.3.4.2.3 of the frugal install on the old P4 test box.No problems. :)

James C

#655 Post by James C »

Gnuxo wrote:Thank you Pemasu for compiling the player, it opens and the browser doesn't crash.

However, I can't seem to play any media with the plugin or the player itself. I tried posting some youtube links into VLC and it says it doesn't understand vp80. Am I missing codecs?

Haven't tested the browser plugin but the VLC 2.0.1 player itself is playing .flv , mp4 ,.mkv , wmv ,ogg and mp3 files here.

Did you download and install all of the dependencies?

qt-4.8.0-basic-with-qtwebkit-dpup
vlc-2.0.1-deps-dpup
vlc-2.0.1-dpup

pemasu

#656 Post by pemasu »

Shinobar. Thanks. I will update the pnethood pet to the woof. I will rewoof the build quite soon and reupload it so that the newest pnethood files are included.
Last edited by pemasu on Sat 07 Jul 2012, 04:51, edited 1 time in total.

Gnuxo

#657 Post by Gnuxo »

Installed newest update and it works smooth as silk on puny Intel celeron D. :D

stu90

#658 Post by stu90 »

Hi Pemasu,
Just downloaded Exprimo 5.X.3.4.2.3 but haven't install yet will report back later today.

Some updated applications for your consideration are:
gtk-youtube-viewer 2.0.4 (lucid)
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 749#612749

parcellite 1.0.2rc5 (left locale files in)

charlie6

gCAD3D1.86.pet

#659 Post by charlie6 »

Hi Pemasu,
yep again tons of thanks for this 5X.3.4.2.3 !!

The brookfdale-fix improves the X restart problem on intel 82845G Brookdale video chip hardware as reported (see post page 43). Best results using icewm.

After install of the Brookdale-fix-0.0.1.pet , here the report-video tells depth=16 as first boot; whereas it was 24 on 5X.3.4.2.2. No matter ! just manualy edited to depth=24 /etc/X11/xorg.conf (gCAD3D use requires depth=24 )

gCAD3D.1.86.pet: Error message from Ppuppy Package Manager upon install of gCAD3D.1.86.pet from the pets-dpup-exprimo repo. This tested twice on a fresh pfix=ram 5X.3.4.2.3 install. The corresponding debian archive installs and works OK (extra dependencies: libgtk and libjpeg-turbo installed).

Here daily use of exprimo ... with full satisfaction :D

pemasu

#660 Post by pemasu »

Thank you guys of initial feedback. Pnethood has been fixed, Parcellite and Gtk-youtube-viewer has been updated and gcad3d-1.8.2 pet has been reuploaded, it was indeed broken. Looks like the previous upload has not been succesful. For me gcad3d worked after I rerun xorgwizard. Maybe just X restart would have been enough, didnt test.

I have also added Shinobar's new mime associations. Notecase for example got icon. dir2sfs right click has been updated. I suppose I will update some other minor things. Laptop tools needed some improvements and they have been updated. I will rebuild this evening 5.X.3.4.2.3 and reupload it.