Dpup Exprimo 5.X.3.4.12 with 3.4.2 kernel.

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
feelsub

#601 Post by feelsub »

Quote:
Could install either AbiWord 2.8 or 2.9, but don't work.
Open PPM and click configure button and then ok without touching the choiced repos. Then close it and reopen PPM. Now exprimo repo has been enabled. Type abiword.
OK from PPM, but it's version 2.8.2. I 1st tried abiword-common, but that's the one which is not working.

Gnumeric 1.10.8 OK but starts with error "/root/%u no such file or directory"
* ntfs-3g from a 2010.3.6 version to 2012.1
-----> why ? what benefits there is to upgrade it compared to squeeze default one. Just upgrading something is not my priority.
Lots of fixes see http://www.tuxera.com/community/release-history/
But this pet works http://www.datafilehost.com/download-b2aa69a5.html
Gparted from 0.7 to 0.12
----> see above question. What benefits there is. You will need to compile all lib*mm files as static and then compile latest Gparted as static against them. Or install those big libpangomm etc lib*mm files as shared and then compile Gparted as shared. I have managed without those big lib*mm libs all this time.
Several times new Gparted has broken something with Puppy installer scripts like Puppy Universal Installer. Again...I would need to know how does newer Gparted benefit Puppy users.
See changelog: http://gparted.sourceforge.net/news.php?entries=all
such as

Unable to grow and shrink FAT16 and FAT32 file systems
Unable to shrink HFS and HFS+ file systems
Unable to determine used and unused sectors in HFS and HFS+ file systems
Unable to erase file system signatures on partition create and format
FAT16 and FAT32 file system moves performed internally by GParted instead of by libparted

Other key changes include:

Fix size off by one sector with unrecognized disk label
Fix GParted crashes with assertion (head_size <= 63)
Requires libparted-2.4 or higher
I will use Ffmpeg 0.91 whence there is something which is missing from it. Upgrading ffmpeg will mean large depending multimedia applications recompile, for example VLC depends on the version it has been compiled against. Not very delicious choice just to upgrade it and all other apps which needs it.
Well since version 0.11 there is WMA lossless support, 0.10 also provides new codecs -> ffplay
But there still muxing bugs esp. with aac, which I hope to see fixed in next release.
Quote:
Replace Viewnor by Gthumb, which is way faster and more complete.
.... I will keep Viewnior as default viewer because it is familiar to Puppy users and fast enough.
Indeed, it's on other Puppies, now try with large Mpix images (>12Mpix) and you'll readily see the advantage.
GIMP 2.8 is out. It needs newer libs than squeeze provide.
hope to see it than.

Thanks

stu90

#602 Post by stu90 »

pemasu wrote:
Hope your arm is on the mend after the operation?
Unfortunately for me Exprimo version 5.X.3.4.2.2 is unable to create a save file - it goes through the cli save file set up but then hangs during the save file creation.
Shoulder is still painful, but it hasnt stopped me for fishing. We got yesterday together 12 kg of pikeperch from the lake. After jigging 2 hours per day two days...My shoulder is in flames now....but it has been fun.

About failure to create savefile. This was now the second report of that problem. Also pnethood mysteriously does not work as it should ?

I dont have clear answer to these problems. The woof is newer than in previous build but nothing I have updated since previous build should otherwise affect. I think I need to download latest woof and try new build. With the latest updates, ie pnethood update and maybe some other puppy apps updates, if there has been them. But I need to wait since I get to the home back. I dont dare to download woof with this slow 3g connection.
Sound like you are having a good time sans the shoulder - what do you do with all the fish, eat them?

I have now got Dpup Exprimo 5.X.3.4.2.2 running with a savefile - i made a blank 3.fs save file beforehand then booted into Exprimo 5.X.3.4.2.2 and used that - saves and reboots seem to be working correctly this way with no hanging at shutdown. :)

pemasu

#603 Post by pemasu »

Stu90. We have 6 ppl eating them and we put the rest to the freezes as files. We are going to night jigging this night. Had to go to the town and by more jigs. The place where we jig is old log dropping place. And there is a lot binding wires in the bottom. Somehow it is also place where the pikeperches reside.
OK from PPM, but it's version 2.8.2. I 1st tried abiword-common, but that's the one which is not working.
You are still not using exprimo repo. I believe you have installed debs from squeeze repos not from exprimo repo. Just downloaded again, it works and I had abiword 2.9.0. Just to confirm.
Unable to erase file system signatures on partition create and format
That sounds significant. I suppose there isnt many volunteers to static compile the lib*mm libs and compile statically gparted.
Anyway...here is the link to the Barry`s instructions: http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=00693
If someone compiles newer gparted, I will upgrade it. Just download latest lib*mm libs sources and latest gparted source and then install those statically compiled libs and then compile statically gparted and package for example with new2dir.
Well since version 0.11 there is WMA lossless support
Sounds good. I will put ffmpeg to the todo list. But not very soon.
Indeed, it's on other Puppies, now try with large Mpix images (>12Mpix) and you'll readily see the advantage.
Have you tried Geeqie from the exprimo repo. Gthump is out. It needs polluted gnome-common and other stuff which has been cleaned out in dpup exprimo. In fact...I dont know any Puppy with gnome-common package.
ntfs-3g from a 2010.3.6 version to 2012.1
Fixes list was redundant in your posted link. Okay....I gave it a go. I used internal fuse, because I would have to had update fuse libs to use external libs and that would have meant to compile latest util-linux before latest fuse libs would have been compiled. So...I took the shorter road. Might not work as it should but....here is the ./configure:

Code: Select all

./configure CFLAGS="-mtune=generic -O2 -pipe -fomit-frame-pointer" CXXFLAGS="${CFLAGS}" --prefix=/ --sysconfdir=/etc --localstatedir=/var --with-fuse=internal
I consider the attached pets as alpha compile. They mounted ntfs for me and unmounted also, Puppy Universal Installer showed the partitions right, but I am not sure if the ntfs stuff has been used in partition recognition stage, probably not.
Install the pet with dedicated pfix=ram situation, if you want to explore the usability of the pet and give feedback. I am not sure if all puppy scripts are happy with this compile. You have been warned.
Last edited by pemasu on Tue 03 Jul 2012, 20:42, edited 1 time in total.

Gnuxo

#604 Post by Gnuxo »

I found an IM client for linux called Qnext.

I was going to download it to see if I could compile it, however it doesn't list dependencies and the file is a .tgz file and when I click, pupget keeps trying to install it.

I let pupget install it a few times but everytime, I can't find what was installed.

...It would be nice to get some assistance with this.

Homepage: www.qnext.com

pemasu

#605 Post by pemasu »

Gnuxo. Just right click the 61.6 Mb ! qnextsetup.tgz package and choose filer-roller or open archive choice. Both of them extracts the .tgz without probs to your selected folder. Default extraction happens where to compressed package is...ie to the same folder. There is Pidgin in the repo by the way.

Gnuxo

#606 Post by Gnuxo »

I like pidgin, but I also like variety. I also want to download as few libraries as possible.

I've tried what you said and it extracted nicely. It's a .jar executable and uses java.
It also requires a qnext account to connect to any other protocols. Which I'm not happy with.

I have installed centerim and I'm very happy with it. I've tried finch but I found it's learning curve a bit much.

Gnuxo

#607 Post by Gnuxo »

A quick thing I want to ask.

Most Raspberry Pi come either preinstalled with Debian or you can install Debian.
Since Dpup Exprimo is based on Debian, can it run on Raspberry Pi?

Also, how do you even install an OS on Raspberry Pi? It doesn't even have a BIOS.

pemasu

#608 Post by pemasu »

Nah. The distro needs to be based on arm processor targeted packages and apps needs to be compiled to support arm architecture.
This is the Puppy for Rasp Pi: http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=02879

radky

#609 Post by radky »

Picker, ptmtimer and PeasyPdf error messages in 5.X.3.4.2.2

picker:
/usr/bin/picker: line 2: /usr/local/picker/picker: No such file or directory

ptmtimer:
/usr/local/bin/ptmtimer: line 2: /usr/local/ptmtimer/ptmtimer: No such file or directory

PeasyPDF:
can't find the file at /usr/share/doc/PeasyPDF.html.
Last edited by radky on Wed 04 Jul 2012, 00:10, edited 1 time in total.
[color=blue][b][url=http://www.smokey01.com/radky/PupMates.html]PupMates[/url][/b][/color]

pemasu

#610 Post by pemasu »

Thanks Radky. It seems that picker and ptmtimer has been eaten away from the pets in the packages_pet folder in woof. I mean some scripts were missing inside the pets. Picker pet in woof was 14 kb and in zigberts repo...it was 19 kb. I just cant understand how that has happened. It might be that there is something else also missing. Interesting. Peasypdf.html was missing from my 3builddistro file. Added now. Thanks. I do keep doc folder really reduced. And I do add there only useful docs.

shinobar

Re: pnethood-0.6.9

#611 Post by shinobar »

peebee wrote:/var/log/messages shows:

Jul  4 11:37:55 puppypc30980 user.err kernel: [  114.802296] CIFS: Unknown mount option "servernetbiosname=ATHOME"
Jul  4 11:39:23 puppypc30980 user.err kernel: [  203.224572] CIFS: Unknown mount option "servernetbiosname=ATHOME"
Comment out the line around 41 in /usr/local/apps/pnethood/func_mount:
#check to see whether the machine name is really a name or just an ip
#[ "$(echo $MACHINE | grep '^[0-9]\{1,3\}\.[0-9]\{1,3\}\.[0-9]\{1,3\}\.[0-9]\{1,3\}$')" ] || SERVERNETBIOSNAME="servernetbiosname=${MACHINE},"
An issue of the mount.cifs version?
# mount.cifs -V
mount.cifs version: 1.5
EDIT: No. Slacko-5.3.3 shows the same version number.
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

linuph

Puppy Package Manager (PPM) doesn't show up anymore

#612 Post by linuph »

I could not add packages from other distro's or maybe I was impatient.... So I cleared all packages to make a fresh start and clicked OK. Since then, no more PPM. Cannot install, nor uninstall. Is there a config file I can initialize to make PPM work again?
I think this is a common Puppy hickup but I didn't try other versions.

peebee

Re: pnethood-0.6.9

#613 Post by peebee »

shinobar wrote:Comment out the line around 41 in /usr/local/apps/pnethood/func_mount:
#check to see whether the machine name is really a name or just an ip
#[ "$(echo $MACHINE | grep '^[0-9]\{1,3\}\.[0-9]\{1,3\}\.[0-9]\{1,3\}\.[0-9]\{1,3\}$')" ] || SERVERNETBIOSNAME="servernetbiosname=${MACHINE},"
An issue of the mount.cifs version?
# mount.cifs -V
mount.cifs version: 1.5
EDIT: No. Slacko-5.3.3 shows the same version number.
Hi Shinobar

Confirmed - that small change fixes the problem - connection to share now successfully achieved. Applied to version 0.6.9

I notice by the way that the menu entry for pnethood has changed to suggest that it is only for windows shares.................

Cheers & thanks for all your help
peebee
Attachments
image-1.png
(120.44 KiB) Downloaded 547 times
Last edited by peebee on Wed 04 Jul 2012, 09:26, edited 1 time in total.
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64

pemasu

#614 Post by pemasu »

Thanks Shinobar - Peebee of the bug hunting. Can I do the modification to the 0.6.9 version and include it to the bug fix release using latest woof ?

linuph. You need to give more spesific explanation what did you clear of. Did you remove some text files from ./root/packages ? What is the exact method trying to install other distro packages. If you type in console: ppm ....what do you get. There are several text files and scripts behind the PPM. Sometimes just clearing /tmp ( I do it by deleting everything there helps and reboot do the same) helps when PPM hickups.

nooby

#615 Post by nooby »

pemasu wrote:Great !
I included to the pet those other Hauppage firmwares also. So...the pet should work with other versions.

Thank you of the feedback !
Wow much appreciated. My Hauppauge is a USB thing named WinTV-HVR 900
so hopefully that one work too? I need to test this. I have downloaded all the pets
you gave us. Hope it works. Latest iso and devx and the VLC and hapupauge firmware
you provided

Is this wrong thread to ask about how to get the TV dongle to work?

I did try to activate all the pets and such. devx is loaded on the fly
and QT should one activate that using the menu maybe???
and Vlc and the dependecies and Hauppauge USB connected

I have no idea how to activate that when I start VLC? What am I supposed to do.
Set the frequency to some mhz what? Damn I feel stupid
Last edited by nooby on Wed 04 Jul 2012, 10:57, edited 3 times in total.

feelsub

#616 Post by feelsub »

I'm glad I convinced you, master, for NTFS and FFmpeg; hope you may convince other Puppies administrators, so that everyone is on same foot.

Now, if you need to recompile VLC, I suggest the latest release and at least and i686 compile( if not with SSE2); indeed on my old laptop Celeron M 1.4Ghz, if Puppy is faster than WinXP to browse, I can NOT watch a H264 film HD ready under Puppy(CPU overloaded), while OK under WinXP with anti-virus.... By the way SMPlayer shows to be less CPU extensive than VLC.
Gthump is out. It needs polluted gnome-common and other stuff which has been cleaned out in dpup exprimo. In fact...I dont know any Puppy with gnome-common package.
Well in Lucid 5.2.X, 3headed dog and I think Slacko it installs successfully from PPM.
My motivation for Gthumb in place Viewnor is the same than for HD ready films, Viewnor is slow; AV Linux has been convinced and has dumped Viewnor for Gthumb.

Puppy Package Manager bug:
If you check "puppy-lucid-official" in the configure properties, it does NOT appear in the repositories.

Some failed installs from Ppack Package Manager (name is confusing with Puppy Package Manager); Exprimo repository:

SMPlayer 0.8 (installs without error, terminal run:)
# smplayer
smplayer: error while loading shared libraries: libQtXml.so.4: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory
"abiword-2.8.6-gnumeric-1.10...." failed to install.

Gnumeric-1.10-13dpup
# gnumeric
gnumeric: error while loading shared libraries: libgoffice-0.8.so.8: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Skype 4.0 failed to install

From Puppy Package Manager; exprimo repository:
Skype 4.0 failed to download
LibreOffice 3.5.0 failed to install.

=========

If you change the country setting from say en_US to fr_BE, at X restart, all icons are repositioned to their origal desktop location; if you just perform an X restart, this does not happen. Country locals have had a problem with Puppies, I already reported bugs about this, some were fix, I still believes issues with character sets encoding are linked with improper locals.

End of test.
Thanks

stu90

#617 Post by stu90 »

I made a little change to the Aurora GTK theme - instead of the background being white it is now gray to match more with the rest of the theme.
Attachments
Aurora2.tar.gz
(3.18 KiB) Downloaded 290 times

stu90

#618 Post by stu90 »

feelsub wrote:
Some failed installs from Ppack Package Manager (name is confusing with Puppy Package Manager); Exprimo repository:
Hi feelsub,

Puppy Package Manager has been updated somewhere along the way and from what i can tell will now dependency check puppy packages as well as host repo packages - this is something Ppack doesn't do so that is why some packages are now failing to work when installed with ppack.
I will suggest to Pemasu that Ppack be removed from his next build until i get time to review the code.

cheers.

pemasu

#619 Post by pemasu »

Now, if you need to recompile VLC, I suggest the latest release and at least and i686 compile( if not with SSE2)
VLC-2.01 in exprimo repo has been compiled i686 with SSE2. And it is the latest release.

I dont target to the old hardware. My kernel has been optimized core 2 and up. I tend to support more or less somewhat newer hw because I have such. Wary, 214X are the ones for better support to the older hw.
Gthumb is also in squeeze repo. You can try that. When I checked the compile specs, it insisted gnome-common needs to be present. That is my line, no gnome-common for me. You could try to compile it and I will add it to the exprimo repo gladly and willingly. Have you tried Geeqie ? I would like to know if it is fast enough. That one has been compiled in Dpup.
If you check "puppy-lucid-official" in the configure properties, it does NOT appear in the repositories.

That repo has been there for Ppack usage. PPM declines to use other distro repositories. Squeeze - dpup and exprimo for Dpup. Lucid Puppy repo has been excluded. Of course that could be circumvented, but I stay now with woof PPM. Just for a while. Ppack Manager is not anymore PPM compliant and it will be removed until stu90 improves it. Thank you of the report of failing installations.
From Puppy Package Manager; exprimo repository: Skype 4.0 failed to download .
I dont have Skype 4.0 in exprimo repo. I have http://smokey01.com/pemasu/pet_packages ... 1.0.81.sfs only.
LibreOffice 3.5.0 failed to install.
I will check that. Anyway...Use from the menu > document > Get Libre office ... and you get the more recent version as sfs.
EDIT: LibreOffice 3.5.0 pet installed from PPM - exprimo repo ok. And it appeared to the menu and the Writer started ok.

peebee

#620 Post by peebee »

pemasu wrote:I dont have Skype 4.0 in exprimo repo.
Hi pemasu

I have Skype 4.0.0.7 from http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=79077 running on squeeze_5.X.3.1.10.3

but it needed qt-4.8.0-basic-with-qtwebkit-dpup.pet to work......

Cheers
peebee
ImageLxPup = Puppy + LXDE
Main version used daily: LxPupSc; Assembler of UPups, ScPup & ScPup64, LxPup, LxPupSc & LxPupSc64