Fatdog64-600b1

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
shinobar

Re: getnvidia-0.2-64

#201 Post by shinobar »

smokey01 wrote: It appears the Nvidia package in your script is pointing to the wrong location. The modem appears to be downloading but after 10 minutes I killed the script.
Did it say 'Downloading...'?
Before the 'Download' message, it performs ldconfig.
I realized the 'ldconfig' sometime hungs up, or takes too long time.
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

smokey01

#202 Post by smokey01 »

shinobar wrote:
smokey01 wrote: It appears the Nvidia package in your script is pointing to the wrong location. The modem appears to be downloading but after 10 minutes I killed the script.
Did it say 'Downloading...'?
Before the 'Download' message, it performs ldconfig.
I realized the 'ldconfig' sometime hungs up, or takes too long time.
It did say Downloading but when I examined your script it look like the wrong location, or a different location to where I normally download the source.

smokey01

#203 Post by smokey01 »

I've just noticed Picasa is no longer supported for Linux.

Does anyone know of a good replacement.

Shotwell looks interesting, lots of dependencies though.

Geeqie is nice but it doesn't have email capability, well not the last time I looked.

I just can't get my head around fotoxx, maybe I should look a bit closer.

TIA

shinobar

#204 Post by shinobar »

smokey01 wrote:It did say Downloading but when I examined your script it look like the wrong location, or a different location to where I normally download the source.
To see what URL the script will download from, type (if you have getnvidia):

Code: Select all

ndivia-installer -l
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

Sylvander

#205 Post by Sylvander »

Looked again at Fatdog bootup.
1. Loading initrd takes 65 seconds to load.

2. The sda5/Fatdog/sd64save.ext3 file isn't found, therefore not used. :(
Not good!

kirk

#206 Post by kirk »

Looked again at Fatdog bootup.
1. Loading initrd takes 65 seconds to load.

2. The sda5/Fatdog/sd64save.ext3 file isn't found, therefore not used. Sad
Not good!
65 seconds when booting from CD would be in the range of normal.

Fatdog64-600 will only automatically load a save file named fd64save from the root of a partition. To use a different file name or location you will need to specify that at boot. Here's some examples from the FAQs - Boot options:
Some examples:

savefile=direct:device:sda1 --- use savefile named fd64save.ext4 located in root directory of /dev/sda1, save directly to it
savefile=ram:device:sda2:/fd600/fd64save.3fs --- use savefile named fd64save.3fs located in /fd600 directory of /dev/sda2, use RAM layer
savefile=ram:usb --- use savefile named fd64save.ext4 located in root directory of the first found usb device, use RAM layer
savefile=direct:multi --- use multisession on device /dev/sr0
So you would want to use:

savefile=direct:device:sda5:/Fatdog/sd64save.ext3

Sylvander

#207 Post by Sylvander »

kirk wrote:65 seconds when booting from CD would be in the range of normal.
(a) I don't think any other Puppy I've EVER run has taken this long to load... :(
Not even on my OLD 2003 hardware.
Or is it just unusual to be waiting for a single file that takes that long?

kirk wrote:Fatdog64-600 will only automatically load a save file named fd64save from the root of a partition.
This did the trick. :D
Moved the file to the root folder, and deleted the Fatdog folder...
And at bootup it found and used the sda5/sd64save.ext3 file. 8)
Would be nice if I could put it inside its own folder just like the other Puppies.

BHINTZ

#208 Post by BHINTZ »

I have loaded Iron.sfs and get a warning that I am running as root and I have been warned, but the browser does activate. I tried running in terminal as root and get some message about C. I tried as spot and get a message about libORBit.....

Can someone give a clue how to use this browser?

Much appreciated,

bob

rcrsn51

#209 Post by rcrsn51 »

Sylvander wrote:Would be nice if I could put it inside its own folder just like the other Puppies.
Kirk explained how to do that above.

smokey01

#210 Post by smokey01 »

Billtoo

#211 Post by Billtoo »

smokey01 wrote: Shotwell looks interesting, lots of dependencies though.
Shotwell is available in the precise repos in precise puppy beta 2, I just took a quick look at it (I had to start it with gexec with the runs in terminal box checked) but it seems to work okay, slideshow works at least.
If you have room for a puppy precise install on one of your pcs.
Attachments
shotwell.jpg
(50.56 KiB) Downloaded 1286 times

Sylvander

#212 Post by Sylvander »

rcrsn51 wrote:Kirk explained how to do that above.
If I understood correctly...
He explained how TYPE a rather complicated command at the command prompt, at the 5-sec pause, during startup.
Too much of a hassle for my liking.

smokey01

#213 Post by smokey01 »

Billtoo wrote:
smokey01 wrote: Shotwell looks interesting, lots of dependencies though.
Shotwell is available in the precise repos in precise puppy beta 2, I just took a quick look at it (I had to start it with gexec with the runs in terminal box checked) but it seems to work okay, slideshow works at least.
If you have room for a puppy precise install on one of your pcs.
Thanks Billtoo, I will have a look.

jamesbond

#214 Post by jamesbond »

BHINTZ wrote:I have loaded Iron.sfs and get a warning that I am running as root and I have been warned, but the browser does activate. I tried running in terminal as root and get some message about C. I tried as spot and get a message about libORBit.....
Can someone give a clue how to use this browser?
Much appreciated,
bob
Bob, iron doesn't currently run as spot. Not if you do it through the usual "su spot" stuff. You need to be logged in properly as "spot" (or any other user) - the easiest way to do it is by using the user manager.
Don't worry about those C stuff if the browser runs :)
Sylvander wrote:
rcrsn51 wrote:Kirk explained how to do that above.
If I understood correctly...
He explained how TYPE a rather complicated command at the command prompt, at the 5-sec pause, during startup.
Too much of a hassle for my liking.
If that is too long, just type "search=2" instead. This will look for savefiles in stored at 2 levels deep. It will find savefile in /fd600/fd64save*. If you need deeper level, type "search=3", this will find /mysavefile/fd600/fd64save*. Remember as you go deeper, the more scanning the system has to do *for every drives*; it will slow down the boot process a lot. Best is still to do what kirk recommends - specify the exact location of the savefile. If you find that typing is too long, create a remaster and type that inside syslinux.cfg when asked to - it will become your default settings.
Note remaster has a problem with running as non-root, this is fixed in the next release.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

jamesbond

#215 Post by jamesbond »

Newer versions:
Fatdog 600 beta2 is here: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=79265
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

Sylvander

#216 Post by Sylvander »

jamesbond wrote:If that is too long, just type "search=2" instead.
I must be getting lazy in my old age.
Think I'll stick with the method I'm using at present...
Which is to type nothing at all.
I moved the file into the root folder...
And the Puppy finds it without any command being issued. :D

mini-jaguar

#217 Post by mini-jaguar »

Nice, it has two obvious fixes:

1. There aren't many missing icons in the menu, like in Alpha 2. This doesn't really affect functionality, but it looks much nicer in Beta 1.

2. The wallpaper setter doesn't cut off certain wallpapers like in Alpha 2, as noted that it's fixed in the o.p. of this thread as well.

Speaking of wallpapers, I made one a while ago:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... start=1140
and here are two more from futwerk, older ones, the blue one works well as a tile too:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... &start=990

Some things I am having problems with though are Audacity and Wine. They simply don't run, and didn't in Alpha 2 either, although they are in the menus. (edit: oh, damn, I just now noticed beta 2, I'll have to try that)

Sage

#218 Post by Sage »

Many thanks, jb.
Beta1 took 6hrs to d/l but worth every penny. This one seems to be heading that way, so might look at the mirrors if it's still going tomorrow morning.
Update: just over the hour! Tested on beta2 thread, having sound problems.

gcmartin

INITRD includes FATDOG's SFS, now.

#219 Post by gcmartin »

I see posts on FATDOG600 thread about the time increase at boot for initrd.

I just wanted to share some info that might help in understanding what is being done in FATDOG600. Up until now, this technology was only used in the Netboot technology that is in all the 32bit and 64bit Repos for each respective distro.

Rather than have initrd call an external file SFS, the intrd in the ISO have the SFS buried within. This provides some minor savings in boot time, but it guarantees that the could be reduced confusion on where to look for the SFS that is being used at boot.

So, should one understand that, we see a combined initrd doing what use to be separate initrd and sfs files at boot-time....not separate times.

With the Netboot facility, this provided some obvious advantage (and, probably was a good testbed for the building of Puppy PXE technology and use.)

I hope this makes sense and provides some level of understanding. With this, it provides some observance of how this is useful on stand-alone booting as well as PXE booting for any one of us. Hoping soon to get a new document (and also we may see some simple instructions forthcoming) to show how easy it is to PXE boot FATDOG600 ("Fatdog600 Netbooting").

Hope this helps

Anniekin

wine sfs does not work

#220 Post by Anniekin »

downloaded and loaded wine sfs for fatdog 600

it says '/usr/bin/wine not found' when run from terminal

which is strange because it shows up in file manager

any chance for a skype 4.0 sfs?