Bluetooth for Slacko?

What works, and doesn't, for you. Be specific, and please include Puppy version.

Have a Bluetooth Keyboard that you use with Puppy?

yes
29%
no
71%

Total votes: 14

Eldon

Bluetooth for Slacko?

#1 Post by Eldon »

I can't even get bluetooth on Slacko(5.3.1) to work. I installed the slackware bluetooth packages in the package manager, but it doesn't work.

There's a Bluetooth Manager icon in the system section of the menu, but it doesn't do anything.

Can anybody help?

I really want to use my bt keyboard/touchpad like this one:
http://www.ipazzport.com/10a.html

Will it even work with a combo keyboard/mouse device like that?

Thanks.

bigpup

#2 Post by bigpup »

One possible issue.
In Puppy Package Manager.
When you download Slackware packages, from Slackware repositories, you need to do a check for dependent files that also need to be downloaded.
When you select one of the entries a preinstall window will show.
Follow the directions given.
Click Examine dependencies button.
Will get dependency download window.
Make sure everything is checked. including program package.
Click on Download and install selected packages.
Program should now be installed with all dependencies.
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Eldon

#3 Post by Eldon »

Thanks.
libpython2.6.so.1.0 was missing for blueman

So I installed python_plus-2.6.6-i486-s and it said...

It had these missing library files:
libtcl8.5.so libtk8.5.so
libgoocanvas.so.3
libtk8.5.so libtcl8.5.so

BUT then
, I started from scratch, without loading any save file, updated the package manager, and installed bluez-firmware-1.2, then bluez-4.91, and then blueman-r708 and gstreamer was a dependency, and upon installing it, it said

libgudev-1.0.so.0, and libvisual-0.4.so was missing, and THEN I removed, reinstalled blueman, and gstreamer- and it said no missing libraries.

BUT it still does nothing when I click bluetooth manager in the menu

What's up with that?
Last edited by Eldon on Wed 27 Jun 2012, 04:12, edited 1 time in total.

bigpup

#4 Post by bigpup »

So I installed python_plus-2.6.6-i486-s
How did you install? From package manager?
Details?

In PPM,
When downloading the packages from Slackware repositories. Did you check for dependencies before downloading?
YaPI(any iso installer)

Eldon

#5 Post by Eldon »

bigpup wrote:
So I installed python_plus-2.6.6-i486-s
How did you install? From package manager?
Details?

In PPM,
When downloading the packages from Slackware repositories. Did you check for dependencies before downloading?
YES AND YES.- I ALWAYS use PPM and check for dependencies, but even when it reports none are missing, bluetooth manager does nothing when I click it. As I just posted(edited last post) it will say they are missing, then on removal and reinstall, it won't show any as missing. It baffles me, and makes me wonder if there's a bug in the PPM or something.

I can't ever find the missing libraries either, when it says they're missing- how are we supposed to find them? Google, and this forum don't ever show any results with the missing libs, just other slacko posts etc.

Thanks.

bigpup

#6 Post by bigpup »

I ALWAYS use PPM and check for dependencies, but even when it reports none are missing,
I am not talking about the check for missing needed files that the PPM does after the download.
To make sure you understand. I refer back to my previous post.

In Puppy Package Manager.
When you download Slackware packages, from Slackware repositories, you need to do a check for dependent files that also need to be downloaded.
When you select one of the entries a pre-install window will show.
Follow the directions given.
Click Examine dependencies button.
(if button not there, check is not required)
Will get dependency download window.
Click on Download and install selected packages.

I was never sure the programs you are trying to install will run bluetooth on Puppy. I do not have bluetooth, but was trying to help you make sure you at least had all you needed, for the programs you downloaded.
Missing lib files is a gray area with Puppy because it does a lot of stuff the Puppy way.

For bluetooth in Puppy try using this search site:
http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html
Try bluetooth for first search
Should come up with something that may help you.
YaPI(any iso installer)

Eldon

#7 Post by Eldon »

bigpup wrote:
I ALWAYS use PPM and check for dependencies, but even when it reports none are missing,
I am not talking about the check for missing needed files that the PPM does after the download.

Thanks.
I never neglect to install the dependencies. I know what you're talking about. I know it's hard to believe, and I'm getting distracted talking about the libs and I'm a newb, but not that new.
bigpup wrote:I was never sure the programs you are trying to install will run bluetooth on Puppy. I do not have bluetooth, but was trying to help you make sure you at least had all you needed, for the programs you downloaded.
Yeah, I know, thanks, but that's not the problem, the missing libs, maybe, but not the dependencies. If that were all it was I wouldn't have had to post on this board. Maybe someone who actually has a working BT keyboard can chime in, if there is one?
bigpup wrote:Missing lib files is a gray area with Puppy because it does a lot of stuff the Puppy way.
Maybe that's why every single version of puppy(best linux version I've ever tried, and I've tried a few) I've tried over the years makes me disappointed and go back to Windows.
bigpup wrote:For bluetooth in Puppy try using this search site:
http://wellminded.com/puppy/pupsearch.html
Try bluetooth for first search
Should come up with something that may help you.
Been there, done that. That's why I posted to start with. Tried in the puppy apps part- no results.

Tried "bluetooth keyboard" in the top section, and wound up here:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=52973

And upon trying to install libxcb.pet, nothing happens. Then when I reboot x....all I get is and X cursor and black screen. No idea how to fix that other than deleting my slacko save. Reboot didn't help. Maybe it would work without some of those packages, as that's from puppy 4.3.

Most topics are about phones and I'm not sure if that would work with a keyboard.

Gonna keep looking

Thanks for helping, bigpup.

I've managed to get it detected and bind with rfomm in the console.(but not sure what channel I should use)

That's as far as I've gotten. I have not yet been able to find out how to actually pair the keyboard from the command line.

Eldon

#8 Post by Eldon »

Something happened.

I'm not sure what I did, but now there's a bluetooth icon in the taskbar, and it seems that it could detect my keyboard(no longer on reboot), but not as a input device. it was detected like a phone- on right-clicking the icon it had an option to send files to the device.

When I click "Setup New Device" nothing happens.

If anybody can help me with blueman/bluez etc. so that it can detect it as a keyboard, I would appreciate it very much.

Thanks, guys.

Eldon

IPazzport BT Keyboard in puppy!

#9 Post by Eldon »

WOO HOO! I got it to work!!! :shock:

I'm gonna try to figure out what I did, get it to do that at boot, and post it if I can!!!

Thanks bigpup! I couldn't have done it without that link to wellminded.

I installed the slackware packages I mentioned, and gconf and some other things- but I think the reason it worked is actually the console input.

I think, all I had to do was type this:

hciconfig hci0 up
hcitool scan
hcitool inq
hidd --connect DC:2C;26:A0:E6:05

Now I have to put the above in every time I boot, and can't figure out how to make it work at startup.

Some of the stuff I tried first

In the console I put:

dbus-daemon --system Got a error - no matter

modprobe bluetooth
modprobe l2cap error - don't think it was needed
modprobe rfcomm
modprobe btusb
hciconfig hci0 up
hciconfig hci0 class 0x3e0100
mknod -m 666 /dev/rfcomm0 c 216 0
bluetoothd
mkdir /root/a

hcitool scan
hcitool inq
hidd --connect My keyboards mac address

And voila!
Hope this helps somebody!

bigpup

#10 Post by bigpup »

Great news! :D
Glad I was not shooting blanks with advice.
If you can figure out what you did and write a how to. That would be great.
Please be specific with the details.
Good luck! :D 8)
YaPI(any iso installer)

bigpup

#11 Post by bigpup »

#!/bin/sh
hciconfig hci0 up
hcitool scan
hcitool inq
hidd --connect DC:2C;26:A0:E6:05

Now I have to put the above in every time I boot, and can't figure out how to make it work at startup.
Try this:
Make a startup script of the above commands and place it in /root/startup directory. Any scripts in this directory are run on startup.

How to make script file.
In Rox file manager:
Go to /root/Startup.
Right click in open area.
In menu, go to new->Script.
Give script a name like Bluetooth.
Should now have file bluetooth in /root/Startup.
Right click on bluetooth file.
select Open as Text.
Now in text editor, make text look like above code.
Save changes.
Close text editor.
Now should have working text script file bluetooth.

Not sure if you do or do not need this at top of code #!/bin/sh

Reboot so script is run.
YaPI(any iso installer)

Eldon

#12 Post by Eldon »

Ok, for those wanting to install bluetooth in Slacko 5.3.1:

1)
Open Puppy Package Manager

2)
Install the following
Bluez firmware
Bluez libs and utilities
bluez hcidump (may not be needed but it won't hurt)
Bluetooth-0.4.pet from here

You should also be able to find the last one mirrored here in case smokey01's host let's the smoke out of their servers.

3)Reboot

You should see a bluetooth icon in the task bar.
It should be fairly straight forward from there- make sure to set it to 'visible'
You should also have some Icons in the network menu such as Bluetooth Wizard.

Now you should be able to use bluetooth, and if you have a bt keyboard like me, you should be able to boot Slacko, and simply turn on the keyboard to have it start working.

If it doesn't work then check for missing dependencies and libs, and try the console commands posted above!

And above all make sure to let us know how it goes!!

gcmartin

BT Headset in PUppy

#13 Post by gcmartin »

This thread specifically mentions keyboard-mouse.

But, for the record, of all the world's users of BT, BT headsets are the NUMBER 1 BT device, by far (and I mean really far)...in this world.

In fact, most every Puppy user has a cell phone and a blue tooth headset.

So, it does seem a simple step to connect a BT headset to any PUP that has BT support.

Hope this is a view for the benefit of the connection and make it easy to see applications which would use the BT headset.

Here to help

Eldon

Re: BT Headset in PUppy

#14 Post by Eldon »

gcmartin wrote:This thread specifically mentions keyboard-mouse.

But, for the record, of all the world's users of BT, BT headsets are the NUMBER 1 BT device, by far (and I mean really far)...in this world.

In fact, most every Puppy user has a cell phone and a blue tooth headset.

So, it does seem a simple step to connect a BT headset to any PUP that has BT support.

Hope this is a view for the benefit of the connection and make it easy to see applications which would use the BT headset.

Here to help
Yeah, it should help CONNECT with most BT devices, but much of the info on BT for puppy relates to use with phones, and specifically obex etc. which is not only unnecessary for the keyboard, but I think some of that info doesn't pertain to, or (entirely) explain how to get a input device like mouse/keyboard going.

I'm not sure if bluez does or does not have such features built in. It certainly works with my keyboard/touchpad combo, but some features may require other packages covered in other threads specifically relating to use with those devices.

This may not help you do more than connect to a phone. File transfers, may need obex, for example. However, if bluez or the bluetooth pet support them beyond simply pairing with them, then yes it should work fine.

If it works for you without other packages, let us know!!

As for you're other comments, that seems to be opinion stated so as to sound like indisputable fact. "For the record"- what sources do you have to back up the claim that BT headsets are "by far" #1? True or not, I find no proof of that either way.

With tablets increasing in numbers, and the line between them and smart-phones blurring, more and more people have a BT keyboard for their devices. I know more people with BT keyboards than ones that stick a transceiver in their ear.

I'm a puppy user, and not only do I not have a phone, cell phone, or a BT headset, I can find no surveys or any other data to support your claim that "most puppy users" have them.

Please refrain from making claims without sources. If it's your opinion, or impression etc. then be sure to word it that way.

Karl Godt

#15 Post by Karl Godt »

I'm a puppy user, and not only do I not have a phone, cell phone, or a BT headset, I can find no surveys or any other data to support your claim that "most puppy users" have them.
I have three old prepaid phones which i don't use. I cannot find any hints if they support IR or BT connections.

My three mice are IR and my keyboards are cabled.

Nor do i have any fancy things like headsets, joysticks, gprs, TVs, iPADS, Smartcards and here comes things i don't know about.

Just my <=2 cents.

Anyway, congrats for this thread.

drspastic

#16 Post by drspastic »

i actually have a bluetooth headset and a specific need for support, if anyone can help.
i have an old bt 2 headset that i pulled apart and turned into a dongle for my ft817 radio tranceiver. i went mad with a glue gun and its now a wireless module that clicks nicely ito the side of the radio.
at th moment i can only use it with my wm5 ipaq and pockedigi to gain rtty and psk31 mode but i would love to use it with puppy via my old sitecom usb bt2 dongle and fldigi or pskmail.
the nearest i got was with puppeee (thanks jemimah) where t connects and pairs but theres no provision to route audio.
im now on lucid and i cant even get a pairing

Eldon

#17 Post by Eldon »

I'm not sure what you'd have to install to get bt audio support, but the bluez package may have it built in, and along with the bluetooth pet above you should get it to connect. If not, try some of the command line commands.

Specifically you may have to start the bluetooth daemon by typing in bluetoothd at the terminal. Of course, you may or may not need to do the modprobe commands and hciconfig hci0 up.

That said, have you confirmed that the dongle is fully functional? I mean, if you pulled it out of another headset, then there may be a number of problems with it, or your modifications. I do like your style of salvaging parts, though.

I'm not sure if the bluez for lucid or slacko has audio support, but if it does it may work just with the packages above, and if not you may try going here:
http://bluetooth-alsa.sourceforge.net/build.html

Good luck and keep me apprised.
Last edited by Eldon on Mon 20 Aug 2012, 22:39, edited 1 time in total.

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#18 Post by Flash »

I have several wireless keyboards of different makes and several wireless mice of different makes, and they have all worked in Puppy the first time I tried them. I assume they all use Bluetooth, except one wireless keyboard which is so old that I think it uses vacuum tubes.

Do the bluetooth keyboards work when Puppy first starts to boot, when the boot option screen shows?

Eldon

#19 Post by Eldon »

Flash wrote:I have several wireless keyboards of different makes and several wireless mice of different makes, and they have all worked in Puppy the first time I tried them. I assume they all use Bluetooth, except one wireless keyboard which is so old that I think it uses vacuum tubes.

Do the bluetooth keyboards work when Puppy first starts to boot, when the boot option screen shows?
Unless they have the "B" logo on them or said somewhere on the package or device that uses the bluetooth protocol, you should assume that it does NOT use bluetooth. Bluetooth and wireless aren't synonyms. Most "wireless" keyboards and mice are just RF, not bluetooth. It could say "wireless" and be FM for all you know!

I have an old one-handed trackball that has a usb wireless thing about as wide as my fist and an inch deep. Now they are about as small as some bt devices, and many newer computers have bt receivers built in so it's harder to tell which is which. If you have a new laptop with built in BT and your "wireless" device needs a usb dongle to work with it, it's not BT. If you have two dongles for two devices and each only works with their specific dongle, then one of them isn't BT.

Bluetooth devices often require you to "pair" them. If you don't see a BT device listed in your hardware settings, then it's not BT.

Seeing as the boot option screen doesn't load bluetooth drivers, bt devices shouldn't work at that point, unless maybe there's a special bios out there that can use bt devices.
Last edited by Eldon on Mon 20 Aug 2012, 22:49, edited 2 times in total.

Karl Godt

#20 Post by Karl Godt »

http://pastebin.com/sHTAANcv
has my bluetooth script to automatically reconnect
http://www.philips.de/c/-/spm9800_10/prd/
bluetooth mouse

connecting to a
Gembird BTD-123 Bluetooth receiver .

Mouse was 10€ and the dongle a fiver . Not worth the trouble . The mouse disconnects after a short time not being moved and the button to reconnect is only applyable for people with long finger tips .

Other then this the receiver or kernel or bluez does not like it attached to a usb hub with other devices on it . Took me a while at google search to find a gentoo forum page that told me to attach it to a root usb hub alone .

FWIW : this Bluetooth works like BroadBand internet connection . Packets are send and received . Did not knew it before .