Wbar visibility

Using applications, configuring, problems
rmcellig

Wbar visibility

#1 Post by rmcellig »

I am using wbar 2.3.0 and was wondering if there is a way to have wbar visible at all times and not just when I go back to the desktop. I can't seem to find a way to do this.

`f00

#2 Post by `f00 »

wbar needs a rootwindow and X, it's not necessary to have a rox pinboard (if that's what you mean by "desktop") .. some window managers (or desktop environments) need the above-desktop parameter set in the startup line (such as for enlightenment, xfce4 and maybe a few others).

If you mean "at all times" such as when you're out of X (say at the Prompt or a cli environment), wbar is hardly meant for that :)

rmcellig

#3 Post by rmcellig »

Thanks! I'm going over from the Mac world so I am used to having the dock along the bottom of the screen. It is visible at all times, so I was wondering if Wbar has the same functionality. I mainly stay with JWM and Openbox as my Window managers.

Might there be a version of Docky for Puppy, or another dock like solution? So the rox pinboard would be roughly similar to the Mac desktop in terms of having icons on it if that's what you want?

rmcellig

#4 Post by rmcellig »

I'm basically looking for something similar to this where the dock is always present.

stu90

#5 Post by stu90 »

I think the last version of wbar might have had a bug that stopped it appearing above all windows - if you are using openbox you can use obconfig GUI to set desktop margins so maximized application windows do not open over or cover x amount of pixels from the top, bottom, left or right edges.

`f00

#6 Post by `f00 »

wbar is always present, sometimes it can be over/under other windows (it's a decor-less window itself, usually) and a rclick on wbar will refresh (raise?) it if there's leftover image of a closed window or background (if I recall correctly) - like stu90 says set a margin in obconf (at least a few pixels free at the edge where wbar sits if you max stuff a lot, increase the margin if you want to see more of wbar) .. possibly there are nuances in recent wbar versions (I've stuck with the old 133, so everything's habit for me)

Most prefer wbar to be on the lower layer (especially if a top placement is used) so other windows can be dragged by titlebar, rolled up, resized and so on without having to hunt for the decor or a button - if you're used to kybd control this isn't such a big deal (and openbox's rc allows for a fine degree of control) .. funny, with my alpha settings it's not always obvious visually which layer wbar is on until I hover ;)

wbar is a really nice launcher, but it doesn't have an autohide option that I'm aware of (like fbpanel and jwm trays do) - there's dis/advantantages either way

another way to go is something like appbar that can slide into/out of a tiny button (very nice for small screens)

one disadvantage of a launcher/tray/panel that's always on top is that it takes up screenspace :| personally I try to balance stuff according to what I want or need against convenience (like jwm's autohide trays are great but sometimes I really use autoraise a lot, so..)

hth

rmcellig

#7 Post by rmcellig »

Thanks so much for the info!! I feel kind of stupid here because this morning on her PC which is also running Puppy 5.28 (005), I can't remember if I installed wbar or not but to my surprise it is 2.30 and not 1.3.3 like the one that is in the repos. I have no idea how I got 2.3.0. Now I want to install 2.3.0 on my laptop and don't know where to download it from. Any ideas? There are big differences between 1.3.3 and 2.3.0.

Jim1911

#8 Post by Jim1911 »

rmcellig wrote:Thanks so much for the info!! I feel kind of stupid here because this morning on her PC which is also running Puppy 5.28 (005), I can't remember if I installed wbar or not but to my surprise it is 2.30 and not 1.3.3 like the one that is in the repos. I have no idea how I got 2.3.0. Now I want to install 2.3.0 on my laptop and don't know where to download it from. Any ideas? There are big differences between 1.3.3 and 2.3.0.
Try this.

rmcellig

#9 Post by rmcellig »

Thanks but how come when I search for pets in the forum, they never come up. I searched for wbar 2.3.0 and was unable to locate it. How do I locate pets in the forum?

Your link works fine.

mill0001

#10 Post by mill0001 »

@foo
Hi: if you're using wbar config gui you can set the opacity of wbar to 0 (zero) and wbar will disappear till you hover your mouse over it.

jsajczuk

#11 Post by jsajczuk »

mill0001 wrote:@foo
Hi: if you're using wbar config gui you can set the opacity of wbar to 0 (zero) and wbar will disappear till you hover your mouse over it.
didn't work for me, WBAR is hidden behind every application.

rhadon

#12 Post by rhadon »

rmcellig wrote:How do I locate pets in the forum?
Usually I use Google Advanced search . Typing in wbar 2.3.0, the first entry of 205 gives wbar-2.3-lucid.pet for download :wink: .

HTH
Rolf
Ich verwende "frugal", und das ist gut so. :wink:
Raspberry Pi without Puppy? No, thanks.