Turbopup Xtreme v1.0 - The fastest dog on Earth

For talk and support relating specifically to Puppy derivatives
starhawk

#621 Post by starhawk »

Does anyone know where synth went? I'd like to contact him, get permission to try and fix some of the problems I had with TurboPup, but keep the name and all that.

I don't want to take over development (even for a little bit of polishing) without permission.

Eathray

#622 Post by Eathray »

starhawk wrote:Does anyone know where synth went?
I've wondered as well. If you PM him, he might get an alert (I get alerts to my Android if anyone messages me from Murga). He has posted about music stuff elsewhere. Maybe ttuuxxx might know something since I think he helped synth with some packages for TurboPup.

Hope he comes back. I'd like to see some of the software gathered together since Stashbox went away/went under/whatever happened.

Eathray

starhawk

#623 Post by starhawk »

PM sent.

Dewbie

#624 Post by Dewbie »

Does Turbopup have the same dial-up modem support as the 4.x Puppies?

Shep

#625 Post by Shep »

Dewbie wrote:Does Turbopup have the same dial-up modem support as the 4.x Puppies?
I would say yes, because I'm sure that I used TP Extreme at the time I was using dial-up.

Dewbie

#626 Post by Dewbie »

starhawk wrote:
Does anyone know where synth went? I'd like to contact him, get permission to try and fix some of the problems I had with TurboPup, but keep the name and all that.

I'm curious...specifically what are the problems?
I was going to download and try it out, but with dial-up it's a long ordeal.
Edit: starhawk answered it here:
Heads-up -- TurboPup breaks when you try to change how it works or improve it. It works fine until you try to modify it, and then it makes a real mess on the carpet. (I've tried this.) Also, there is only one wallpaper setup that will ever work, and that's basic black.

(Also, thanks Shep!)
Last edited by Dewbie on Tue 05 Feb 2013, 01:39, edited 1 time in total.

Shep

#627 Post by Shep »

Dewbie wrote:I was going to download and try it out, but with dial-up it's a long ordeal.
When you do download files over dial-up, you are not using the browser for the download, are you? NO. Instead, use wget or curl (or some variant). These are more efficient downloaders, and they allow you to resume a download from where it last broke :shock: (providing the server is compliant), whereas browsers want to start all over again.

Perhaps you should start a thread asking which pups support dial-up modems. TP Extreme is getting very old (in canine years). Make sure you point out which browser you prefer, so you are directed to a pup that comes with that browser or else you'll have more slow downloads to perform. In your shoes, my first enquiry would be placed herer: http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=42553

Good luck!

Postscript: oops! didn't notice you're a veteran here, so you'd know all this. But it might help others, anyway. :)

Dewbie

#628 Post by Dewbie »

Shep wrote:
When you do download files over dial-up, you are not using the browser for the download, are you?
Not any more, Shep...I'm a Uget convert. :)
Remember this?

Just to be clear:
I don't mind large downloads, but don't want to deal with lots of bugs.
That's why I asked for specifics (see above).
If they're major, I'll wait till the next Turbopup release. :)

greengeek

#629 Post by greengeek »

For those who find it disconcerting to have the standard black desktop and pop-out menu bar in TurboPup you can change to a different desktop style by going through the menu as follows:

shutdown, advanced, restart with IceWM.

You'll end up with the same quick functionality but more similar appearance to other pups. Probably more usable for puppy newbies and windows refugees.

Another thing you can do, either in the original jwm or in IceWM is to go to the 'desktop' menu and use the wallpaper changer to set a different coloured background. You will get a message about rox pinboard being changed, and then it will set the background to something more palatable.

sindi

Download problem Turbopup

#630 Post by sindi »

Where can I download Turbopup without 'download.exe'?

greengeek

Re: Download problem Turbopup

#631 Post by greengeek »

sindi wrote:Where can I download Turbopup without 'download.exe'?
Theres a link on this post:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 783#476783
that takes you to this download site:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/6nmy5c

The md5 link and readme link seem dead.

EDIT : Oh yes, I see what you mean - somethings wrong with that link. Ally posted another link as follows:
http://archive.org/details/Puppy_Linux_Turbopup
(I'm not quite sure how to drive archive.org but there seem to be isos in the left hand pane...)

ally

#632 Post by ally »

just click https and it will show all the ISOs

non ISO files will be in the main body of a page

:)

sindi

archive.org link for turbopup works

#633 Post by sindi »

archive.org and sendspace (if it even works) appear to be the only remaining working links to turbopup files. [/list]

greengeek

Re: archive.org link for turbopup works

#634 Post by greengeek »

sindi wrote:archive.org and sendspace (if it even works) appear to be the only remaining working links to turbopup files.
It's a shame really because this is an astounding puppy. A little difficult to understand at first, and even more difficult to customise it the way other puppies can, but the speed tradeoff seems worth it and it still has what I consider to be the best browser setup - straight out of the box it allows me to view youtube vids, and has flashblock fully activated (and has heaps of rightclick options to tailor flashblock etc too).

I'm guessing smokey probably has a copy on his server too but I don't know if that would include the earlier versions that ally pinpointed on archive org (which I was trying to find here)

@ally : thanks for the links and thanks for that excellent tip of clicking on the HTTPS link! Finally I understand how to use that site! :-)

Turbopup versions available for download here:
https://ia801009.us.archive.org/4/items ... _Turbopup/

NOTE : As he progressed from the early versions of Turbopup through to the final one (v 1.0) Synth appears to have progressively stripped out lots of code, and more tightly customised the iso, so that some users may be more comfortable using the earlier versions.

sindi

Turbopup works beautifully except for sharing save files

#635 Post by sindi »

Downloaded, extracted vmlinuz, initrd.gz and the sfs file to a partition in /hda1 (fat32)

Booted frugal perfectly and very quickly with loadlin (which puppy 5's won't do).

Politely asked whether to use pup_save.2fs from 4.1.2 and update it (N).

Chose Xorg. Network and sound wizards worked easily. (Dell D600 from 2003).

Let me change scaling_min_freq with acpi-cpufreq to run at full speed all the time
(which puppy 5's won't do). modprobe acip-cpufreq and echo 1600000 > /sys/pertinent file/

free - used minus cached memory 35M, of which 5M is X and jwm.
(4.1.2-based pulp linux uses about 65M, and when I stop a lot of unused processes
in 4.3.1 such as cupsd and blinky, it is still about 75M. Pulp favors gtk1).

you2pup is as expected no longer working due to youtube's frequent changes.
The standalone youtube-dl (python incorporated in it) or movgrab should work instead.

I can add lynx and mplayer (uses less memory than xine) and upgrade glibc so as
to use opera 12.16.

e3pi console text editor is included (but not on the menu).
blinky can be started manually. freememapplet - gives message about usage kill ???

I don't see fbcon (for framebuffer console) and hope the kernel supports it so I can
hopefully borrow the required modules from puppy 4.3.1 with the same kernel.
This allows running without X, with much more text on the screen.

Is there some way to point puppy 4.1.2 and 4.2.0 at differently named save files
with loadlin (or lilo, or grub) rather than choosing while it is booting? I can't see
anything on the screen while booting with framebuffer, until halfway through the boot
process, so if there are two pup_save*.2fs files it stalls waiting for me to choose
blindly. (Same problem with 4.3.1 and 4.3.2 pupsave.2fs but they don't try to update
from 4.2 or 4.1 so ONE 4.3 can coexist with ONE 4.2 or 4.1 with save files).

greengeek

Re: Turbopup works beautifully except for sharing save files

#636 Post by greengeek »

sindi wrote:Is there some way to point puppy 4.1.2 and 4.2.0 at differently named save files with loadlin (or lilo, or grub) rather than choosing while it is booting?
Not sure but possibly by using the psubdir parameter?

partsman

#637 Post by partsman »

Hi all :)
Just a little FYI Akita was based ot turbo pup :wink:
Akita will boot just as fast and has alot of customizations !
It might be worth a look :wink:
[color=red]Anyone can build a fast processor. The trick is to build a fast system. (Seymour Cray)[/color] :wink:

Dewbie

#638 Post by Dewbie »

partsman wrote:
Hi all :)
Just a little FYI Akita was based ot turbo pup

Turbopup evolved into Puplite, followed by Akita...

greengeek

#639 Post by greengeek »

Some of the alpha versions of Turbopup are less radical than Turbopup Xtreme v1.0 (yet still optimised for speed) so I have started a thread for testing those:
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=91591

sindi

Turbopup Xtreme Windows Installer

#640 Post by sindi »

See the thread on Puppy Linux Windows Installer v. 1.1 released.
There is a way to package puppy to self-install in Windows, as an .exe.
Premade .exe's for 511, 520, 525 and 550 linuxes, and Turbopup 420 (in Spanish?)
http://ubuntuone.com/637eWS83J8cuW1402jXHy - or follow the link from the
installer discussion. The download link works.

I plan to try it on a computer which boots only from hard drive or network
(or proprietary CD-ROM or floppy drive). People usually remove the hard drive
and install files to it in some other computer (not simple with Windows so I
don't want to trash what came with it). Then on a Win98 computer with 64MB RAM.