Puppy Linux Discussion Forum Forum Index Puppy Linux Discussion Forum
Puppy HOME page : puppylinux.com
"THE" alternative forum : puppylinux.info
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The time now is Sat 27 Dec 2014, 06:50
All times are UTC - 4
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
FATSlacko
Moderators: Flash, JohnMurga
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
Page 4 of 7 [94 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Next
Author Message
Eyes-Only


Joined: 10 Aug 2006
Posts: 1046
Location: La Confederation Abenaquaise

PostPosted: Tue 29 May 2012, 06:35    Post subject:    

LOL JB!!! That's a good one!

Billtoo? One thing I've always noticed using Qupzilla on all my Puppy installs, be they frugal or hard drive: Unless I had an accompanying KDE-4.7.3 desktop equally installed ( you can find it under "Additional Software" by Battleshooter ) the browser failed to render .gif files, especially those found here on the forum - they would all be replaced by little "?" marks in blue boxes. Most annoying to be sure! Mad

It would do this even if I had a full install ( "full" as in "entirely complete" ) of the Qt-4 libraries under "/usr/libs/qt4". I found this to be quite strange. So apparently it was lacking something from the "/usr/libs/kde4" section despite my doing an "ldd qupzilla" check in CLI for dependencies and having it tell me that all dependencies were met.

Like I said, however, once I added the KDE-4.7.3 desktop qupzilla worked perfectly fine. In fact, I frequently use it here when not using Dillo-3.0.2.

Just thought I'd throw this in to compare notes with you to see what you've discovered.

Cheers/Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge d'Acadie"

_________________
*~*~*~*~*~*
Proud user of LXpup and 3-Headed Dog. Cool
*~*~*~*~*~*
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Billtoo


Joined: 07 Apr 2009
Posts: 2190
Location: Ontario Canada

PostPosted: Tue 29 May 2012, 08:29    Post subject:  

Eyes-Only wrote:
LOL JB!!! That's a good one!

Billtoo? One thing I've always noticed using Qupzilla on all my Puppy installs, be they frugal or hard drive: Unless I had an accompanying KDE-4.7.3 desktop equally installed ( you can find it under "Additional Software" by Battleshooter ) the browser failed to render .gif files, especially those found here on the forum - they would all be replaced by little "?" marks in blue boxes. Most annoying to be sure! Mad

It would do this even if I had a full install ( "full" as in "entirely complete" ) of the Qt-4 libraries under "/usr/libs/qt4". I found this to be quite strange. So apparently it was lacking something from the "/usr/libs/kde4" section despite my doing an "ldd qupzilla" check in CLI for dependencies and having it tell me that all dependencies were met.

Like I said, however, once I added the KDE-4.7.3 desktop qupzilla worked perfectly fine. In fact, I frequently use it here when not using Dillo-3.0.2.

Just thought I'd throw this in to compare notes with you to see what you've discovered.

Cheers/Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge d'Acadie"


Hi, I haven't seen that yet, I compiled QupZilla in Fatslacko and it shows qt470 because I installed kdegames and qt470 gets installed too along with the kde stuff, I'm a bit of a kshisen addict Smile

I've been spending most of my time in fatdog64 600a2 and I have the full qt482 installed in that, I haven't noticed any blue boxes while using QupZilla in fatdog.

Bill

EDIT: I booted my Fatslacko puppy pfix=ram, downloaded and installed the QupZilla pet, googled gif images.
Maybe compiling with kdegames installed prevented the problem.
gifimages.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   215.69 KB
 Viewed   1295 Time(s)

gifimages.jpg

buildinfo.jpg
 Description   
 Filesize   64.77 KB
 Viewed   1336 Time(s)

buildinfo.jpg

Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Eyes-Only


Joined: 10 Aug 2006
Posts: 1046
Location: La Confederation Abenaquaise

PostPosted: Thu 31 May 2012, 07:26    Post subject:  

Thanks for the updated info Billtoo re: Qupzilla. How fascinating that it works for you so well and yet not for me unless as I've described in my above post. -scratches head-

Oh well! As I used to tell people when doing gecko developement, "When working in a static environment it was always easy to predict just how it [ gecko ] would work and behave. However, when once released ino the jungle of everyone's hard drive with hundreds upon hundreds of programmes - and you're only using gecko products - no telling how all those zeros and ones will interact!"

In other words: "Is there really such a thing as an 'exact science' out there? REALLY?" I think not. We often delude ourselves... but now I'm robbing the thread and waxing philosophical. LOL!

Again Billtoo: Thanks for the extensive report as it was very much appreciated!

Cheers/Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"

_________________
*~*~*~*~*~*
Proud user of LXpup and 3-Headed Dog. Cool
*~*~*~*~*~*
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
capicoso

Joined: 13 Jan 2012
Posts: 172
Location: Argentina

PostPosted: Sat 16 Jun 2012, 11:18    Post subject:  

is this 64bit?
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
gcmartin


Joined: 14 Oct 2005
Posts: 4529
Location: Earth

PostPosted: Sat 16 Jun 2012, 16:06    Post subject:  

capicoso wrote:
is this 64bit?
FATSLACKO is a 32bit distro which will work on any current PC that has from 512MB to 64GB of RAM. Not only does it work well on 32bit PCs, but, it will run ALSO on any 64bit Intel/AMD as well. It is fully featured and should do most everything without having to add anything via PPM to be fully functional on desktop or with all devices on your LAN. Enjoy Idea

Here to help

_________________
Get ACTIVE Create Circles; Do those good things which benefit people's needs!
We are all related ... Its time to show that we know this!
3 Different Puppy Search Engine or use DogPile
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Colonel Panic


Joined: 16 Sep 2006
Posts: 1548

PostPosted: Mon 18 Jun 2012, 05:26    Post subject:  

gcmartin wrote:
capicoso wrote:
is this 64bit?
FATSLACKO is a 32bit distro which will work on any current PC that has from 512MB to 64GB of RAM. Not only does it work well on 32bit PCs, but, it will run ALSO on any 64bit Intel/AMD as well. It is fully featured and should do most everything without having to add anything via PPM to be fully functional on desktop or with all devices on your LAN. Enjoy Idea

Here to help


I've tried FAT Slacko and it does work in just 512 MB of RAM, but there's a snag in my experience; you can't eject the CD from the drive, e.g. to play a CD or DVD or burn an ISO to a CD etc., with only that much RAM.

It's a good effort anyway, so thanks for putting it together.

CP .

_________________
Stone Pentium IV (2.4 GHz), 2 GB of RAM, 160 GB hard drive running Puppy 4.15, Polarpup 005, Puppy Precise 5.71 Large, Muppy 008 and Puppy 3.00 Fire Hydrant Inferno.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
cthisbear

Joined: 29 Jan 2006
Posts: 3471
Location: Sydney Australia

PostPosted: Mon 18 Jun 2012, 07:16    Post subject:  

Cheat frugal it.

Copy the main >> .sfs file to the hard drive >>> lowercase

Reboot....next time you can then unmount the cd.

Chris.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
James C


Joined: 26 Mar 2009
Posts: 5981
Location: Kentucky

PostPosted: Mon 18 Jun 2012, 07:23    Post subject:  

Colonel Panic wrote:
gcmartin wrote:
capicoso wrote:
is this 64bit?
FATSLACKO is a 32bit distro which will work on any current PC that has from 512MB to 64GB of RAM. Not only does it work well on 32bit PCs, but, it will run ALSO on any 64bit Intel/AMD as well. It is fully featured and should do most everything without having to add anything via PPM to be fully functional on desktop or with all devices on your LAN. Enjoy Idea

Here to help


I've tried FAT Slacko and it does work in just 512 MB of RAM, but there's a snag in my experience; you can't eject the CD from the drive, e.g. to play a CD or DVD or burn an ISO to a CD etc., with only that much RAM.

It's a good effort anyway, so thanks for putting it together.

CP .


From the developer.....

01micko wrote:
FATSlacko is NOT an official product but a puplet. It is directly based on the upcoming Slacko-5.3.3. It is also the PAE version which will see your large RAM and as such is recommended for higher end machines.

Minimum system requirements <-- Pentium III 1 GHz processor, 768 MB RAM.

Recommended <-- 1.5 GHz processor, 1 GB RAM
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Colonel Panic


Joined: 16 Sep 2006
Posts: 1548

PostPosted: Mon 18 Jun 2012, 11:56    Post subject:  

cthisbear wrote:
Cheat frugal it.

Copy the main >> .sfs file to the hard drive >>> lowercase

Reboot....next time you can then unmount the cd.

Chris.


Good idea, might try that. Thanks Smile

Cheers,

CP .

_________________
Stone Pentium IV (2.4 GHz), 2 GB of RAM, 160 GB hard drive running Puppy 4.15, Polarpup 005, Puppy Precise 5.71 Large, Muppy 008 and Puppy 3.00 Fire Hydrant Inferno.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
Colonel Panic


Joined: 16 Sep 2006
Posts: 1548

PostPosted: Mon 18 Jun 2012, 12:02    Post subject:  

James C wrote:
Colonel Panic wrote:
gcmartin wrote:
capicoso wrote:
is this 64bit?
FATSLACKO is a 32bit distro which will work on any current PC that has from 512MB to 64GB of RAM. Not only does it work well on 32bit PCs, but, it will run ALSO on any 64bit Intel/AMD as well. It is fully featured and should do most everything without having to add anything via PPM to be fully functional on desktop or with all devices on your LAN. Enjoy Idea

Here to help


I've tried FAT Slacko and it does work in just 512 MB of RAM, but there's a snag in my experience; you can't eject the CD from the drive, e.g. to play a CD or DVD or burn an ISO to a CD etc., with only that much RAM.

It's a good effort anyway, so thanks for putting it together.

CP .


From the developer.....

01micko wrote:
FATSlacko is NOT an official product but a puplet. It is directly based on the upcoming Slacko-5.3.3. It is also the PAE version which will see your large RAM and as such is recommended for higher end machines.

Minimum system requirements <-- Pentium III 1 GHz processor, 768 MB RAM.

Recommended <-- 1.5 GHz processor, 1 GB RAM


Thanks for your reply. Fair enough, and I didn't realise that. It's useful for others to know in that case that FAT Slacko will run in 512 MB of RAM.

CP ,

_________________
Stone Pentium IV (2.4 GHz), 2 GB of RAM, 160 GB hard drive running Puppy 4.15, Polarpup 005, Puppy Precise 5.71 Large, Muppy 008 and Puppy 3.00 Fire Hydrant Inferno.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
nooby

Joined: 29 Jun 2008
Posts: 10557
Location: SwedenEurope

PostPosted: Wed 20 Jun 2012, 14:19    Post subject:  

Guys! capicoso recommended this puppy to me in another thread.

I downloaded the iso and set it up like many other puppies
and it failed to boot. Look at my menu.lst

title FATSlacko
rootnoverify (hd0,2)
kernel /FATslacko/vmlinuz psubdir=FATslacko puppy pfix=ram
initrd /FATslacko/initrd.gz

What would I need to change to get it to boot?

I tried it on Acer D250 an Atom CPU and 1GB RAM
and it has Intel Graphic

Now capicoso doesn't seem to realize that the reason
that I am interested in FatDog is due to it being a
multi-user Linux distro.

So maybe he misunderstood why I where active in that thread.

Is FATSlacko really a multi-user distro?

_________________
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
SouthPaws

Joined: 16 Sep 2006
Posts: 88

PostPosted: Wed 20 Jun 2012, 15:35    Post subject: failure to boot
Subject description: suggested fix...
 

Hey nooby, maybe it's just a typo...

I noticed you're using two different spelling for the distro...

FATSlacko and FATslacko... is one of these wrong?

_________________
http://www.ebiblefellowship.com/sunday_bible_study/2005.10.09_McOwen.htm
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
nooby

Joined: 29 Jun 2008
Posts: 10557
Location: SwedenEurope

PostPosted: Wed 20 Jun 2012, 16:09    Post subject:  

I tried to be polite to the Devs of FATSlacko
AFAIK they use that spelling for iso? But I cheated
and used consequently??? FATslacko for all else?
I take a look just in case not being consistent. Good catch. Smile
AFAIK I certainly are/is very consistent in menu.lst
and the subdir. So something else goes wrong.
Can be that I am using a single core Atom N250?
Maybe that one is demanding. The error messages in red
are too numerous to write down. Seems to be about
files and drivers and I don't get anything out of them.
Totally new to me what they write there. No other
puppy had had these messages.

_________________
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
nooby

Joined: 29 Jun 2008
Posts: 10557
Location: SwedenEurope

PostPosted: Thu 21 Jun 2012, 02:24    Post subject:  

Ah maybe Acer D250 is 32 bit while Acer D255 is a 64-bit one?
That would explain it? But the error codes did not mention it.

I switch computer and see what happens Smile

_________________
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message 
01micko


Joined: 11 Oct 2008
Posts: 7841
Location: qld

PostPosted: Thu 21 Jun 2012, 02:54    Post subject:  

nooby wrote:
Ah maybe Acer D250 is 32 bit while Acer D255 is a 64-bit one?
That would explain it? But the error codes did not mention it.

I switch computer and see what happens Smile


FATSlacko is 32 bit, with PAE to support large RAM. If ordinary 32bit Slacko (PAE version) boots then this will boot as long as you have 512 RAM (Thanks Colonel Panic for tests Wink ).

It shares the same code base as Slacko so that's why I left the main sfs with Slacko in the name. It keeps it entirely compatible with PPM and Slickpet. I may change this at a future date and also change the name as not to confuse with FatDog. The 2 projects are unrelated in a base code sense. There is no multiuser in FATSlacko or Slacko at the current time.

Code:
title Puppy FATSlacko 5.3.3x (sda1/slacko-pro)
  find --set-root --ignore-floppies --ignore-cd /slacko-pro/initrd.gz
  kernel /slacko-pro/vmlinuz   psubdir=slacko-pro pmedia=atahd pfix=fsck
  initrd /slacko-pro/initrd.gz


It's only called FAT because it has a ton of extra apps useful for serious productivity.

I was toying with the idea of calling it "Slacko Professional" but it's not as yet. May be one day Smile

HTH

_________________
Woof Mailing List | keep the faith Cool |
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website 
Display posts from previous:   Sort by:   
Page 4 of 7 [94 Posts]   Goto page: Previous 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7 Next
Post new topic   Reply to topic View previous topic :: View next topic
 Forum index » Advanced Topics » Puppy Derivatives
Jump to:  

You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum
You cannot attach files in this forum
You can download files in this forum


Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group
[ Time: 0.1332s ][ Queries: 14 (0.0311s) ][ GZIP on ]