-----
enjoy!
Aitch :)
I answered you at:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 324#634324

because of we are no longer speaking about "other distros"

nooby

#522 Post by nooby »

Yes thanks for creating that other thread that you link to.
Back to other distros.

Someone asked about AVLinux and how to boot it in grub2.
If any of you have knowledge maybe you could help that person?
I use Google Search on Puppy Forum
not an ideal solution though

nooby

TTYLinux?

#523 Post by nooby »

So this one is not GUI it is TTY :)
http://ttylinux.net/
ttylinux, a small GNU/Linux system available for several CPU architectures.
This smallest ttylinux system has an 8 MB file system and runs on i486
computers within 28 MB of RAM, but provides a complete command line
environment and is ready for Internet access.

The goal this project is to make one of the smallest up-to-date Linux
systems that is similar to a larger distribution. An insteresting result is
the ttylinux build system.

End users may want to use ttylinux on old computers for accessing
the Internet, or bootable on a USB disk for a portable system.
Developers may want to use ttylinux for their embedded systems,
or use the ttylinux build system to create their own variant.
so the 64.000USD Q is. How does one frugal boot that one on NTFS? :)

Okay maybe on USB using dd or some other geek trick.
Have any of you tested it?

Okay one more question. Does it allow one to be root?

Aitch

#524 Post by Aitch »

Enrique wrote:I answered you at:

http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 324#634324

because of we are no longer speaking about "other distros"

Aitch :)

Colonel Panic

#525 Post by Colonel Panic »

Just installed Solus 1.0, and was pleased to find it upgraded itself, i.e. downloaded and installed all the necessary packages, without my having to indicate anything; it's automatic and you can set the notification interval from the system control panel.

It looks good with a Gnome 2 interface and a nice selection of wallpapers, and seems stable too. Almost ideal, except that it's the old story with Debian-based distros and Flash; Flash keeps crashing or not even starting.

I might start a thread about Flash here when I've got a bit more time as trying to get it to work properly is getting past a joke now. It goes and stays wrong pretty much right across the board in installed distros; Vector Light is the only distro which seems immune at the moment..
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

greengeek

#526 Post by greengeek »

Colonel Panic wrote:Just installed Solus 1.0, Almost ideal, except that it's the old story with Debian-based distros and Flash; Flash keeps crashing or not even starting.
Given that Debian is so picky about security, it makes me wonder what exactly Flash is attempting to do that causes the system so many problems.

There must be a reason why Apple kicked Flash into the trashcan, and I suspect it is a very insecure product. I wish we could replace it with some secure opensource format and get it to receive widespread acceptance on the web.

If only we had an opensource Youtube things might change for the better.

dagodemon42

Flash Video

#527 Post by dagodemon42 »

I recently encountered flash problems with Arch Linux. Flash either wouldn't load or would crash suddenly. Researching the problem, I found that the newest Flash Player(11.2)requires a processor that supports SSE2 instruction set. My Pentium III only supports SSE. The solution isn't perfect, but does work for me. Download an older version of Flash(10.3). Extract file libflashplayer.so, and place in folder /usr/lib/mozilla/plugins(you may have to create this folder). The problem now becomes that you are using an older and less secure version of Flash. Arch Linux offers a package called sandfox, that keeps Firefox(and other programs) in a "sandbox" or limited function. Flash now works. I don't know if sandfox could be adapted to Puppy, or if there are other programs with similar function. Hopefully the Puppy Gurus will be able to decipher this rambling post and apply a similar solution to the World Of Puppy.

rokytnji

#528 Post by rokytnji »

Specs on my Laptop

Code: Select all

System:    Host: Biker Kernel: 3.4.2-antix.2-486-smp i686 (32 bit) 
           Desktop: IceWM 1.3.7 Distro: antiX-M11-686 Jayaben Desai 01 May 2011
Machine:   Mobo: IBM model: 2628TWU Bios: IBM version: KXET33WW (1.06 ) date: 09/05/2001
CPU:       Single core Pentium III (Coppermine) (-UP-) cache: 256 KB flags: (sse) clocked at 1000.00 MHz 
Graphics:  Card: ATI Rage Mobility P/M AGP 2x 
           X.Org: 1.11.3.901 drivers: ati,mach64 (unloaded: fbdev,vesa) Resolution: 1024x768@87.0hz 
           GLX Renderer: Rasterizer GLX Version: 2.1 Mesa 7.11.2
Audio:     Card: Cirrus Logic CS 4614/22/24/30 [CrystalClear SoundFusion Audio Accelerator] driver: snd_cs46xx
           Sound: Advanced Linux Sound Architecture ver: 1.0.25
Network:   Card-1: 3Com 3c556B CardBus [Tornado] driver: 3c59x 
           IF: eth0 state: down mac: <filter>
           Card-2: Ralink RT2561/RT61 802.11g PCI driver: rt61pci 
           IF: wlan0 state: up mac: <filter>
Drives:    HDD Total Size: 20.0GB (26.8% used) 1: id: /dev/sda model: IC25N020ATCS04 size: 20.0GB 
Partition: ID: / size: 6.4G used: 3.5G (57%) fs: ext4 ID: /home size: 12G used: 5.0G (46%) fs: ext4 
           ID: swap-1 size: 0.76GB used: 0.01GB (1%) fs: swap 
Sensors:   System Temperatures: cpu: 70.0C mobo: 46.0C 
           Fan Speeds (in rpm): cpu: 0 
Info:      Processes: 105 Uptime: 2:01 Memory: 259.6/501.5MB Client: Shell inxi: 1.8.4 
Flash Version is
Shockwave Flash

File: libflashplayer.so
Version:
Shockwave Flash 11.0 r1
repos

Code: Select all

Repos:     Active apt sources in file: /etc/apt/sources.list
           deb http://ftp.us.debian.org/debian/ testing main contrib non-free
           deb http://security.debian.org/ testing/updates main contrib non-free
           deb http://liquorix.net/debian/ sid main
           deb http://ftp.belnet.be/mirror/liquorix.net/debian sid main
           Active apt sources in file: /etc/apt/sources.list.d/jitsi.list
           deb http://download.jitsi.org/deb unstable/
No flash crash or problems for me on this Pentium 3 IBMA22M on this Debain based distro. I usually though download the video via command line with youtube-dl or cclive instead of watching in my browser. I guess one could use a youtube download addon in your browser also or a online youtube site downloader. My screenshot is Iceape browser showing youtube playing in the browser. Hope that helps other Debian based users.

Colonel Panic

#529 Post by Colonel Panic »

Rant alert.

Is Salix Ratpoison the unfriendliest distro ever? It certainly seems like it to me right now.

I've just installed Salix Ratpoison 13.37, and as usual had to give both a root password and a normal user name and password when the installation was in progress.

All went well until I actually tried to log in at the console (Salix seems to use init 4 by default). At first I got the message that no login manager like gdm or lxdm was installed and I had to use Ctrl-Alt-F6 to change console before I could do anything else (funny, I was never asked if I wanted to install one but still...).

Did that, and then I got the "System respawning - wait 5 minutes" message. After waiting perhaps 4 minutes, I logged again and typed in "startx" to start the window manager and load X11. I was met with a blank screen, apart from the blunt message: "Go away.", with a box to tick to show that I'd seen the message, but no mouse to actually access it (oh well, it is ratpoison I suppose).

I know enough about Linux to be able to edit an inittab file, and so I did this from Wary and changed to init 3 (my usual init setting).This time when I typed in startx I got the message, "Your TV is feeling lonely". That was enough frankly, I gave up.

I'm not without a sense of humour but sometimes I actually want to get stuff done. Apart from the other problems the distro had, messages like that give me the impression that I’m dealing with a bunch of frivolous devs (teenagers?) who don't care about the user experience of people using their distro and would rather have a laugh at their expense instead.

Rant over. It's sad this has happened as I have nothing but praise for the other version of Salix I've tried, Salix LXDE.
Last edited by Colonel Panic on Thu 28 Jun 2012, 12:48, edited 1 time in total.
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

Colonel Panic

#530 Post by Colonel Panic »

greengeek wrote:
Colonel Panic wrote:Just installed Solus 1.0, Almost ideal, except that it's the old story with Debian-based distros and Flash; Flash keeps crashing or not even starting.
Given that Debian is so picky about security, it makes me wonder what exactly Flash is attempting to do that causes the system so many problems.

There must be a reason why Apple kicked Flash into the trashcan, and I suspect it is a very insecure product. I wish we could replace it with some secure opensource format and get it to receive widespread acceptance on the web.

If only we had an opensource Youtube things might change for the better.
Maybe,l but I'd rather see a good opensource video player to replace Flash as an opensource video site would be unlikely to attract anything like the number of videos Youtube has. I don't know how good Gnash is these days.

sickgut

#531 Post by sickgut »

Colonel Panic wrote:Rant alert.

Is Salix Ratpoison the unfriendliest distro ever? It certainly seems like it to me right now.

I've just installed Salix Ratpoison 13.37, and as usual had to give both a root password and a normal user name and password when the installation was in progress.

All went well until I actually tried to log in at the console (Salix seems to use init 4 by default). At first I got the message that no login manager like gdm or lxdm was installed and I had to use Ctrl-Alt-F6 to change console before I could do anything else (funny, I was never asked if I wanted to install one but still...).

Did that, and then I got the "System respawning - wait 5 minutes" message. After waiting perhaps 4 minutes, I logged again and typed in "startx" to start the window manager and load X11. I was met with a blank screen, apart from the blunt message: "Go away.", with a box to tick to show that I'd seen the message, but no mouse to actually access it (oh well, it is ratpoison I suppose).

I know enough about Linux to be able to edit an inittab file, and so I did this from Wary and changed to init 3 (my usual init setting).This time when I typed in startx I got the message, "Your TV is feeling lonely". That was enough frankly, I gave up.

I'm not without a sense of humour but sometimes I actually want to get stuff done. Apart from the other problems the distro had, messages like that give me the impression that I’m dealing with a bunch of frivolous devs (teenagers?) who don't care about the user experience of people using their distro and would rather have a laugh at their expense instead.

Rant over. It's sad this has happened as I have nothing but praise for the other version of Salix I've tried, Salix LXDE.
believe me or not, these things you are saying about this distro are actually features, an advanced linux expert finds it easier to develop stuff and do things from the console, also its nice to have complete control over the GUI. Simply put, there is nothing wrong with the distro... yes its unfriendly to newbies as it isnt a carbon copy of puppy or windows. Alot of people prefer to type endless commands to establish a network connection rather than booting to a X session with MTpaint and firefox icons and stuff everywhere and a useless firewall running. Some people actually need to monitor every process running on the system at the most basic level.

linux is extremely technical... it is being watered down to be a desktop distro that people expect to see when they switch on their computer.

Note that puppy is the exception to the rule as far as not using user and pass to login. If entering a user and pass is way too technical then dont use the distro. Ratpoison is for advanced users and techy type stuff can be done with it quicker and more efficient than say Ubuntu or Puppy etc.

if you need to be weaned into actual linux underworkings without Xorg or KDE or Gnome or openbox and roxfiler etc in the way then start with a debian standard iso, and then apt-get everything you need. You have complete control over what gets installed and you will learn.

in the meantime i dont mean to be nasty but there is nothing wrong with ratpoison as it does what it is designed to do. It is your knowledge and experience that is lacking. Many people prefer an absolute minimal desktop or to load xorg without a window manager and to enter a username and password.

Colonel Panic

#532 Post by Colonel Panic »

sickgut wrote:
Colonel Panic wrote:Rant alert.

believe me or not, these things you are saying about this distro are actually features, an advanced linux expert finds it easier to develop stuff and do things from the console, also its nice to have complete control over the GUI. Simply put, there is nothing wrong with the distro... yes its unfriendly to newbies as it isnt a carbon copy of puppy or windows. Alot of people prefer to type endless commands to establish a network connection rather than booting to a X session with MTpaint and firefox icons and stuff everywhere and a useless firewall running. Some people actually need to monitor every process running on the system at the most basic level.

linux is extremely technical... it is being watered down to be a desktop distro that people expect to see when they switch on their computer.

Note that puppy is the exception to the rule as far as not using user and pass to login. If entering a user and pass is way too technical then dont use the distro. Ratpoison is for advanced users and techy type stuff can be done with it quicker and more efficient than say Ubuntu or Puppy etc.

if you need to be weaned into actual linux underworkings without Xorg or KDE or Gnome or openbox and roxfiler etc in the way then start with a debian standard iso, and then apt-get everything you need. You have complete control over what gets installed and you will learn.

in the meantime i dont mean to be nasty but there is nothing wrong with ratpoison as it does what it is designed to do. It is your knowledge and experience that is lacking. Many people prefer an absolute minimal desktop or to load xorg without a window manager and to enter a username and password.
Thanks for taking the trouble to reply, but I don't get the impression you read my post properly.

I've been using Linux from the console for years; I do most of my compiling that way. How do you think I learnt how and why to edit an inittab file? I've even used ratpoison before (I think it was in Vector 6).

What I'm objecting to above all are the smartarse messages I was treated to when I typed startx and hence loaded X Windows, before I even got a chance to type in Ctrl-t (which is how you start most things in ratpoison) and hence get started with it. I can only assume these guys thought they were being funny... well, not to me they weren't.

And even ratpoison can't work if you can't even log in without problems, as I said above. The devs are not only rude and insulting, they're not very competent either.

CP .

Colonel Panic

#533 Post by Colonel Panic »

Just to prove the point, I downloaded and compiled the ratpoison source in Vector (6, KDE) and am posting from Firefox in ratpoison now with Amarok playing in the background 8)

So it isn't just me. I don't claim to be a Linux expert and could certainly do with learning some more, but I know a fair amount of the basics.

nooby

#534 Post by nooby »

"Go away!"

Haha I got some similar message when I wanted to startx too.
I wrote about it on their forum and they seemed very upset
with me wanting to be root.

Rude seems to be the best word for how they treated me with too.
Okay I am a very naive noob but now when they treat you the same way
then I trust that you are right. They do this on purpose or why else do they
go to such length measure that they have done here?

lmemsm

#535 Post by lmemsm »

Colonel Panic wrote:Maybe,l but I'd rather see a good opensource video player to replace Flash as an opensource video site would be unlikely to attract anything like the number of videos Youtube has. I don't know how good Gnash is these days.
I thought webm and VP8 was supposed to replace Flash (at least as far as Youtube is concerned):
http://www.webmproject.org/code/
I heard there was an experimental version of YouTube designed to run webm instead of Flash. I don't use YouTube really, so I haven't pursued this any further. Just read about it.

Colonel Panic

#536 Post by Colonel Panic »

nooby wrote:"Go away!"

Haha I got some similar message when I wanted to startx too.
I wrote about it on their forum and they seemed very upset
with me wanting to be root.

Rude seems to be the best word for how they treated me with too.
Okay I am a very naive noob but now when they treat you the same way
then I trust that you are right. They do this on purpose or why else do they
go to such length measure that they have done here?
Thanks for the tip nooby, it worked! I logged in to Salix ratpoison as a normal user and had no problems; I'm posting from now. It's trying to log in as root which brings on all the rude messages.

Maybe I'll sign up to the forum too and say I think they should change those messages or get rid of them; it gives a very poor impression of their distro in my view.

Best,

CP .

grump

Playing with Androids

#537 Post by grump »

I came across a reference to ICS Android on a laptop, so went googling and soon found http://www.android-x86.org/ . After some poking around (messy site) I had an ISO for a live CD, burned it and booted, then had a little play on this old Toshiba A200 laptop. It worked about 98% eg detected my home wireless but would not stay connected.

It was good for a play.

Colonel Panic

#538 Post by Colonel Panic »

I've just installed the latest version of ConnochaetOS (a distro intended for old computers like mine, or older), and the VTWM window manager too, so my desktop looks like something out of the 1990s. It makes my computer very quiet though since it doesn't test either my CPU or my memory to their limits.

ConnochaetOS is worth considering for people with very old machines who can manage without the "bells and whistles" of a distro like Ubuntu or Mint. The one downside is that the devs are "free software" purists and frown upon running Opera from within ConnochaetOS (as I'm doing now :)), although it runs very well in it.

(Seamonkey works well in it too, but don't tell 'em).

BTW, I like some of these old window managers such as VTWM and FVWM. They're usually very lightweight and have all the features you really need to handle windows on your desktop, and have some features even modern window managers don't. For example, in VTWM you can maximize windows either horizontally or vertically as well as both, just from a click on a button.

The trouble with them is that all the configuration usually has to be done by manual editing of a text file, which can get pretty tedious even if you understand what you're doing (hint: look online for someone else's config file instead). Horses for courses I suppose, but also a reminder of a time when most Linux software was written by computing experts for others.
Last edited by Colonel Panic on Sun 01 Jul 2012, 08:20, edited 6 times in total.

James C

#539 Post by James C »

Still testing AntiX.....
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
(25.9 KiB) Downloaded 608 times

Colonel Panic

#540 Post by Colonel Panic »

lmemsm wrote:
Colonel Panic wrote:Maybe,l but I'd rather see a good opensource video player to replace Flash as an opensource video site would be unlikely to attract anything like the number of videos Youtube has. I don't know how good Gnash is these days.
I thought webm and VP8 was supposed to replace Flash (at least as far as Youtube is concerned):
http://www.webmproject.org/code/
I heard there was an experimental version of YouTube designed to run webm instead of Flash. I don't use YouTube really, so I haven't pursued this any further. Just read about it.
Thanks for the reply and the info. I've had a look at the web-m page you link to but I honestly wouldn't know where to go with this stuff; it looks like it's for experts only. I was hoping for a simpler solution, such as if someone had got Gnash to work well with Youtube vids.