Precise Puppy RC2, October 20, 2012

Under development: PCMCIA, wireless, etc.
anikin

#261 Post by anikin »

Barry,

Here's an issue:
http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=78716
that I believe requires your interference, as the problem in my uneducated view is of generic nature and needs to be solved as soon as possible.

Sorry for my intrusion here and thank you in advance.

rerwin

remasterpup and miscellaneous fixes from lupu project

#262 Post by rerwin »

Barry,
The attached package is a collection of small fixes made in the development of lupu 528 plus others made while preparing the package under precise pup. The attached tarball has the difference files for each modified file. My intent is that these should go into woof, as they are puppy infrastructure fixes. Although the fixes are not dramatic, users might try the package if they need one of the fixes or to simply verify that it does no harm.
  • remasterpup2: Omits remastering of some files not originally in the puppy main sfs file, supports creation of "boot disks" without users having to modify puppy code and corrects typos in 2 dialog messages.
    • #120605 rerwin: omit /dev/snd content, /dev/.udev subdirectory and modem daemons from new master (because daemons reinstalled from firmware if needed).
      #120606 rerwin: support users' replacement of stripped /root & /etc with complete directories (for "boot disk").
      #120607 rerwin: Remove indicators/files for integrated user-installed packages.
      #120628 shinobar: no change id-string for reuse. (added in "-2")
      #120721 revert 'wildcards' option (from 120605); improve /dev/snd file exclusion; exclude /usr/share/icons/hicolor/icon-theme.cache (shinobar). (added in "-2")
    delayedrun: Skips initial popups for boot disk sessions. Runs distro-specific version if present, to avoid need for developer modifications to official version.
    • #120606 rerwin: skip quicksetup if /etc flag set by remasterpup2.
      #120804 rerwin: use distro-specific delayedrun if available. (added in "-3a")
    shutdownconfig: For boot disk, skips prompt for saving personal data.
    • #120604 rerwin: avoid saving personal data if flag set in /etc (by remasterpup2).
    functions4puppy: Omits saving bad-shutdown indicator on multisession disk, to avoid false alarm message.
    • #120608 rerwin: screen out /.XLOADED when save.
    rc.shutdown: Retains deletions during first save of personal data.
    • #120603 rerwin: Retain deletions in first pupsave file by copying whiteout files.
    pup_event_backend_modprobe: Corrects indicators of active firmware tarballs and rule-initiated module conflict with modaliases for it. Adds modprobe option for later kernels/udev.
    • #120608 rerwin: Always save name of installed firmware; for rule-loaded modules either blacklisted or supported by modaliases, load no module.
      #120809 Add blacklist (-b) option to modprobes using modalias, to correct blacklisting and preferences. (added in "-3a")
    connectwizard: Corrects typo that causes bogus error message in log. Adds support for frisbee if present (from 01micko, slacko), to avoid developer-modified version.
    • #111118 add frisbee (added in "-3a")
      #120608 rerwin: get correct pid in wait loop.
    puppyinstaller: Saves old profile when updating a full installation, to assist user.
    • #120603 rerwin: preserve user-modified files in full-install upgrade.
    functions4puppy4: Adds support for all-firmware tarball directories and corrects setting of "firmware-loaded" indication. (added in "-3")
    • #120729 Add firmware_tarball_func support for firmware directory & set tarball name in firmware.dep.inst regardless of pinstall script - copied from backend_modprobe.
    MODULESCONFIG: Adds preference bcma:wl for Broadcom wifi.

firmware.dep.3.2.18: Adds module bcma.ko to associations with firmware brcm. (added in "-3")
Please consider committing these fixes to woof (edited if necessary). Thanks.
Richard

UPDATE 7/22/12: Re-uploaded the "fixes" package (as -2) to correct remasterpup2 and add recent fixes to it. Also included a package containing only remasterpup2, for those with the original package already installed.

UPDATE 8/4/12: Re-uploaded the "fixes" package (as -3) to add functions4puppy4 firmware-tarball fix and firmware.dep update.

UPDATE 8/13/12: Added delta-3a package. Merged fix into frisbee-augmented version of connectwizard and changed delayedrun to allow a distro-specific (-$DISTRO_FILE_PREFIX) version, both so that developers need not modify puppy infrastructure scripts. Added modprobe option "-b" to backend_modprobe to retain blacklist and preference functionality with later versions of udev, discovered through 01micko's slacko 5.3.5 effort.
Attachments
rerwin_woof_fixes-delta-3a.pet
Supplement to fixes-3 -- install after "-3".
Woof-updated delayedrun, connectwizard with frisbee, backend_modprobe slacko fix
(20.25 KiB) Downloaded 539 times
rerwin_woof_fixes-delta-3a_difference_files.tar.gz
(3.04 KiB) Downloaded 519 times
precise_rerwin_fixes-1-remasterpup_correction_only.pet
Corrected remasterpup2, for installation where the "fixes-1" package is already installed,
to match "fixes-2".
(12.46 KiB) Downloaded 552 times
precise_rerwin_fixes-3.pet
Small fixes from lucid pup project, adapted for woof/precisepup.
Update uploaded after d/l #58, to correct remasterpup2.
Updated to -3 after d/l #80 to add functions4puppy4 fix.
(76.86 KiB) Downloaded 637 times
precise_rerwin_difference_files.tar.gz
Re-uploaded after download number 42, to match precise_rerwin_fixes-2.
Re-uploaded after download number 62, to match precise_rerwin_fixes-3.
(7.5 KiB) Downloaded 592 times
Last edited by rerwin on Mon 13 Aug 2012, 20:44, edited 10 times in total.

Karl Godt

#263 Post by Karl Godt »

Just a fast and small comment :

instead of greping in blacklist files i would suggest something like " alias modprobe='modprobe -b' " and replace "/sbin/modprobe" with "modprobe" in pup_event_backend_modprobe .

Cheers

broomdodger

another compile fails

#264 Post by broomdodger »

another compile fails on precise5260 frugal
racy530 no problem

181132 ./1gforth-cvs.sh
/initrd/mnt/dev_save/installers/gforth
cvs: error while loading shared libraries: libbsd.so.0: cannot open shared object file: No such file or directory

Similar problem with Sylpheed.

Bill

linuxcbon

#265 Post by linuxcbon »

Precise 5.2.60 :
- there is twice perl : /usr/bin/perl5.14.2 and /usr/bin/perl
- what is /usr/local/share/pixmaps for ?
- there is twice MIME-types in /root/Choices/ and /etc/xdg/rox.sourceforge.net/
- there is twice libssl (1.0.0 and 0.9.8 )

jigglypuff

#266 Post by jigglypuff »

Does anybody have a rough idea when Precise Puppy will be ready for release?

sszindian

Precise-5.2.60

#267 Post by sszindian »

peebee - rerwin:

Precise-5.2.60

Finally got around to working a bit with 5.2.60 the past few days.

Initial setup was with eth0 and that auto configured and worked as it should without a hitch.

Tonight plugged in WiFi and went for the wlan0 setup for my:

AE1000 Linksys
Belkin 300 router

Initial setup for my belkin.81e was no problem and after I finished the system said I was connected.... 'But I Was Not!' (tried several times)

From past experience with Precise and WiFi I went and installed rerwin's 'precise_broadcom_experiment-3.pet' rebooted and WiFi connected. I had done this before in previous version of Precise with exact results but, this time I went and 'un-installed the precise_broadcom_experiment-3.pet' rebooted the computer again and WiFi still is working without the precise_broadcom_experiment-3.pet' installed. Uninstall was done via the PPM.

I know I don't have a broadcom card in my system we have before proven that but, maybe this test will help you figure out what the precise_broadcom_experiment-3.pet does (activates, resets something, etc., etc.,)

Hope this helps somemore???

My thoughts would be to 'Just Include' the precise_broadcom_experiment-3.pet in Precise, for those who may be having WiFi hookup problems with a configuration like mine... I can't see where it would hurt??? Just my thoughts mind you!

WiFi working nice so far, posting from it now!

>>>---Indian------>

PS: I might mention, I also tried Precise-5.2.60 on my old:

IBM T22 Notepad
250MB RAM

'It works very well on this old box... I mean really well and fast... again, so much for older kernels being better for old computers!'
Cloud Computing For Every Puppy (a .pet)
[url]http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=69192[/url]

feelsub

PEA bug

#268 Post by feelsub »

Hi,
With beta 2 and alpha3 when I try to boot it states that my CPU does not support PEA.

Previously, it was working like a charm, I've tried to download alpha 1, but URL is no more valid.

Processor
Name Intel(R) Celeron(R) M processor 1.40GHz
Family, model, stepping 6, 13, 6 (Pentium III/Pentium III Xeon/Celeron)
Vendor Intel
Configuration
Cache Size 1024kb
Frequency 1396,00MHz
BogoMIPS 2793,00
Byte Order Little Endian
Features
FDIV Bug no
HLT Bug no
F00F Bug no
Coma Bug no
Has FPU yes
Cache
Cache information not available
Capabilities
fpu Floating Point Unit
vme Virtual 86 Mode Extension
de Debug Extensions - I/O breakpoints
pse Page Size Extensions (4MB pages)
tsc Time Stamp Counter and RDTSC instruction
msr Model Specific Registers
mce Machine Check Architeture
cx8 CMPXCHG8 instruction
apic Advanced Programmable Interrupt Controller
sep Fast System Call (SYSENTER/SYSEXIT)
mtrr Memory Type Range Registers
pge Page Global Enable
mca Machine Check Architecture
cmov Conditional Move instruction
clflush Cache Line Flush instruction
dts Debug Store
acpi Thermal Monitor and Software Controlled Clock
mmx MMX technology
fxsr FXSAVE and FXRSTOR instructions
sse SSE instructions
sse2 SSE2 (WNI) instructions
ss Self Snoop
tm Thermal Monitor
pbe Pending Break Enable
up smp kernel running on up
bts Branch Trace Store

runtt21

#269 Post by runtt21 »

Precise 5.2.60 beta 2 with a fresh compiling of EFL 1.2.1 and e17 71440.

I had to add autopoint from lucid's devx and that needed the cvs bin and /usr/share/gettext/archive.tar.gz to get everything to compile but so far it's stable and working fine.

runtt21

#270 Post by runtt21 »

Did I kill this thread or what ? :(

oldyeller

#271 Post by oldyeller »

I do not think so.

We are all just waiting for the next step by BarryK.

Patience is hard when this looks so promising.

Who knows maybe pemasu will still take it over.

Until the next one

Cheers

Terryphi

#272 Post by Terryphi »

This recent blog post by Barry may be of interest to those expecting further development of Precise Puppy (by Barry.)

http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=02886
[b]Classic Opera 12.16 browser SFS package[/b] for Precise, Slacko, Racy, Wary, Lucid, etc available[url=http://terryphillips.org.uk/operasfs.htm]here[/url] :)

rameshiyer

Precise Puppy

#273 Post by rameshiyer »

I want Precise Puppy final version at the earliest.

cowonjolt

#274 Post by cowonjolt »

Dang it, just when Puppy was starting to move ahead of the big dogs someone tossed a little raspberry pi in front of it and brought things to a screeching halt. Been pretty quiet around here since then unfortunately.

linuxcbon

#275 Post by linuxcbon »

cowonjolt wrote:Dang it, just when Puppy was starting to move ahead of the big dogs someone tossed a little raspberry pi in front of it and brought things to a screeching halt. Been pretty quiet around here since then unfortunately.
What has been developed in rasp is very important, because many bugs and improvements are found there, which wouldn't be found in "normal" computers and these will be used for all future puppies thanks to woof.

mavrothal

#276 Post by mavrothal »

linuxcbon wrote:What has been developed in rasp is very important, because many bugs and improvements are found there, which wouldn't be found in "normal" computers and these will be used for all future puppies thanks to woof.
Would you care to provide an example or two?
The part that wouldn't be fount in x86 ("normal") machines but are still applicable to them is very interested conceptually. Could you elaborate?
== [url=http://www.catb.org/esr/faqs/smart-questions.html]Here is how to solve your[/url] [url=https://www.chiark.greenend.org.uk/~sgtatham/bugs.html]Linux problems fast[/url] ==

linuxcbon

#277 Post by linuxcbon »

Some bugs found on both : xz support for DEBs, f.s. check at bootup, busybox diff, ext4 support, etc. (see Barry's blog). These bugs are easier found on raspb, because all programs have to be compiled again, many scripts modified, and tested again.

01micko

#278 Post by 01micko »

linuxcbon wrote:
cowonjolt wrote:Dang it, just when Puppy was starting to move ahead of the big dogs someone tossed a little raspberry pi in front of it and brought things to a screeching halt. Been pretty quiet around here since then unfortunately.
What has been developed in rasp is very important, because many bugs and improvements are found there, which wouldn't be found in "normal" computers and these will be used for all future puppies thanks to woof.
Well.. linuxcbon is right there, but the idea of Woof is so that Barry doesn't have to maintain Puppy. Read this post on Barry's blog.
I have my hands full with Slacko and other real life commitments, but if anyone wants to further develop Precise Puppy they are welcome. It's all open source after all.
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

ahoppin

#279 Post by ahoppin »

I hope nobody will be offended if I post a comment here as a user.

I've gotten truly outstanding service from Lucid 525 over the past year. I have full installations on several (mostly older) boxes and laptops and I've installed it for a couple of friends to replace virus-trashed Windows installations. This is one capable OS. The fact that it's tight and compact is the proverbial icing on the cake.

One of the features I love is the binary compatibility with Ubuntu packages. Yeah, I know, real Linux users compile from source, and I've done that a few times. But if you're building a house you might not have time to also assemble your power saw, and being able to download a program and go with minimal hassle makes all the difference when your computers are not just ends in themselves but also tools to get stuff done.

Regardless of what anyone may think of Ubuntu, it's still very popular (#2 on distrowatch as I type this). Almost every software developer makes Ubuntu binary packages. The Ubuntu official repository is huge and well maintained. So Lucid Puppy has a huge, stable extended repository too. Almost any program written for Ubuntu can be made to work on LuPu with a little patience.

But, but, but. Lucid Lynx is getting to be something of an aging OS, and Lucid Puppy is also turning into an older dog. That makes the idea of a new Ubuntu-derived Puppy using LTS Precise *really* appealing.

I've hung in there with Lucid 525, not even moving to 528, because I have a huge amount of effort and time in customizing 525. But I have to say, I'd switch to Precise Puppy in a blink, if a stable official release were to land here.

I wish I could take it on myself, but not a chance. I just don't have the Linux chops. But I really hope somebody does, because I'd wager there's a whole houseful of us out here who'd adopt this puppy in a second.

So if you're thinking about it .... nudge, nudge ... please?

Thanks.

666philb

#280 Post by 666philb »

requested by runtt21

i packaged up a version of gtk-youtube-viewer for precise http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=76835
Bionicpup64 built with bionic beaver packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=114311
Xenialpup64, built with xenial xerus packages http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=107331