Creating a DVD copy

Booting, installing, newbie
rmcellig

Creating a DVD copy

#1 Post by rmcellig »

I created a copy of my Puppy Live DVD. When I went to use it on my computer, the save folders were not on the disk. Did I do something wrong?

I used Pburn with the Copy Data Disc option.

Lookinglass360

Post subject:

#2 Post by Lookinglass360 »

Hi rmcellig
I would say yes if you intended to make a iso image to burn another
dvd disk.
If that is your intent, open console and type
“ dd if=/dev/sr0 of=puppy.iso seek=0 bs=32k

rmcellig

#3 Post by rmcellig »

Thanks for the info! So the bottom line is that I have to make an iso file from the DVD? Is there a gui tool that will do this that might be included with Puppy 5.2.8 that I can use? If not what pet do I need to accomplish this?

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#4 Post by Flash »

Whoa, is this a multisession Puppy DVD you're trying to duplicate? If so, there's a very easy way to make a copy which includes all the changes you've made to the original. Here's how:
  • 1. Boot the multisession DVD you want to copy in a DVD burner.
    2. Replace the multisession DVD with a blank DVD (any kind except a DVD-RAM) and use Burniso2cd to burn the same iso as you used to make the multisession DVD (or you can use a later iso if you want to upgrade to a newer Puppy.) Leave the newly burned DVD in the burner.
    3. Click the "Save" icon on the desktop.
That's it. If you boot the copy in the same machine, it will be exactly the same as the original except all the separate sessions on the original DVD will have been combined into one session on the new DVD. I call this defragmenting. You can use it to reduce boot times if there are a lot of saved sessions on a multisession DVD.

If you boot the copy in a different machine, there may be some configuring needed to make everything work. Just save that session and the DVD will boot fine afterward.

rmcellig

#5 Post by rmcellig »

OMG that makes a lot of sense. I am going to try it and post back. All I have to do is burn the puppy Linux 5.2.8 Ido I have using the app you mention and then press the save icon on my desktop. Wow that is so easy. I have to go now to try it out :)

rmcellig

#6 Post by rmcellig »

I just created the new DVD and am booting my laptop from it. All I had to do was press the Probe button when prompted which was to be expected. This is really something.

I have been an avid Mac user since 1988, and I have to tell you that since discovering Linux about a couple of years ago, I rarely use my iMac anymore. What has really impressed me is when I discovered Puppy Linux. Amazing. My wife and I use Puppy linux on our computers about 90% of the time.

I have another question but I think I will start a new post.

Thanks so much for the help!!

Lookinglass360

Post subject:

#7 Post by Lookinglass360 »

Hi Flash

Good catch!
If I had ever filled up an Multi-session disk. I might have remembered one
Of your many posts dealing with this issue.
Would not make a lot of sense to copy a full Multi-session disk.

Thanks for all the work you do keeping things on the right path!

rmcellig

#8 Post by rmcellig »

I second that!!

Ted Dog

#9 Post by Ted Dog »

Third, learn something new everyday. Good logical method, Flash.

Still working on getting the boot bugs out of Blu-Dog (multisession Blu-ray). Love the speed improvement over DVD, reminds me of the CD to DVD change over back in the early days. Boot works in Wary in a hybrid mode but newer stuff does not work (can't find files on UDF)

Flash
Official Dog Handler

#10 Post by Flash »

Thanks, Ted. I can't wait to try out Blu-Dog, though I don't know if I'd find the time to do a proper job of testing. :lol: I have several scratch-resistant Kodak BD-RE disks that work fine with my LG Blu-Ray burner, so I'm all ready to go.

I can foresee a problem with running Puppy from a 25 GB multisession Blu-Ray disk. Namely, that if the disk contains many saved sessions it could take hours to boot and require many GB of RAM. There is a way to save non-Puppy stuff on a multisession DVD so that Puppy does not load it at boot. I suppose the same approach would work with a Blu-Ray disk.

Ted Dog

#11 Post by Ted Dog »

Hint Blu-Dog really is just plain-old DVD tools with a -udf added. I wanted a nice way to add recorded OTA TV that I have filling up my hard drive. Those files are generally 3-6G each a season worth of a half hour show would only take 2 BR disks. I only get a mood to watch old TV recording every so often.
Idea I had toyed with was a rolledup multisession say mod 5, every 5th session had all the prior files without archived folder compressed. Also the idea borrowed from virtualbox, only save the difference until next labeled setpoint. That is a block of data as a single file like the .delta used for minor iso versions.
Video streamed directly into a session worked every well in DVD, BluRay is about 4 times faster.