Skype static 2.2.0.99 [SFS] for Slacko, Precise and Lucid

Browsers, email, chat, etc.
Terryphi

Skype static 2.2.0.99 [SFS] for Slacko, Precise and Lucid

#1 Post by Terryphi »

I have created an SFS file of the latest beta 2.2.0.99 with a recent security fix. I have tested it with Slacko 5.3.3, Precise Puppy 5.2.52 and Lucid Puppy 3HD.

This SFS file is intended for frugal installs not full installs. I cannot offer advice about using it with a full install.

You can download the SFS from:
http://uploadingit.com/file/vlp0nmoajsn ... 2.0.99.sfs

MD5SUM: 75fdda1791746ac6e0f7654b7e397348

It does not work with Racy, Wary and Saluki because they do not have the required versions of some libraries. See separate thread for earlier version 2.2.0.35 which works with Racy, Wary etc.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=514088

Note July 2013: this is a new download location and no password is required.
Last edited by Terryphi on Sun 14 Jul 2013, 15:27, edited 4 times in total.
[b]Classic Opera 12.16 browser SFS package[/b] for Precise, Slacko, Racy, Wary, Lucid, etc available[url=http://terryphillips.org.uk/operasfs.htm]here[/url] :)

OscarTalks

#2 Post by OscarTalks »

Thanks for that, Terryphi.

I see that they have now released Skype for Linux version 4.0

Might take a look at it but will probably stick with 2.2.0.99 for now.
Oscar in England

Terryphi

#3 Post by Terryphi »

OscarTalks wrote:Thanks for that, Terryphi.

I see that they have now released Skype for Linux version 4.0

Might take a look at it but will probably stick with 2.2.0.99 for now.
Skype 4.0 introduces a new level of bloat with loads of additional dependencies. I will not be creating an SFS for it!
[b]Classic Opera 12.16 browser SFS package[/b] for Precise, Slacko, Racy, Wary, Lucid, etc available[url=http://terryphillips.org.uk/operasfs.htm]here[/url] :)

ndujoe1

Skype 4.0

#4 Post by ndujoe1 »

It is a sad observation of programming progress that often "Bloat" is padded on rather then increase effeciency in code and execution.

Gnuxo

#5 Post by Gnuxo »

Is Skype still even worth it now that Microsoft owns it and is planning on inserting ads and backdoors into it?

Gnuxo

#6 Post by Gnuxo »

Is Skype still even worth it now that Microsoft owns it and is planning on inserting ads and backdoors into it?

Sorry for the dual post, my internet glitched on me.

I think that if you need a client for direct video conversation, use retroshare.

It's a direct connection between two people and it's safest way to communicate now that Skype is gone.

Terryphi

#7 Post by Terryphi »

Gnuxo wrote:Is Skype still even worth it now that Microsoft owns it and is planning on inserting ads and backdoors into it?

Sorry for the dual post, my internet glitched on me.

I think that if you need a client for direct video conversation, use retroshare.

It's a direct connection between two people and it's safest way to communicate now that Skype is gone.
Retroshare would be good if you are particularly concerned about the security of your conversation - and knew someone who actually had it on their computer! The same limitation applies to all alternatives including the Puppy one.

The majority of non-geeks know about Skype and are happy to use it for occasional family video conversations. In an ideal world there would be a widely known and used open source alternative. Right now there is not. That is why I made the Skype SFS available in two 2.2.0.xx versions for different Puppy variants. It is not necessary to use the bloated version 4.0.

Antipodal

Skype for Slacko on a special configuration

#8 Post by Antipodal »

Within 12 days my daughter will be 8000 miles away from home and would like to be in touch with me via her familiar M$ and Skype provided netbook.

I had only used Skype Internet Telephony (SIT) for less than five minutes in a M$ environment more than 20 months ago and I had never used it in a Linux environment so it was rather troublesome for me to get it working with my system.

Finally, a couple of days ago, my daughter and I were able to have a SIT test chat. Unfortunately the sound we were both receiving was very choppy and the same happened to the image I received. Because I haven't learned to configure my webcam (Genius [Trade Mark] Eye 312 High Quality VGA) she had no image from me.

At that moment I was using the system I describe in my signature, Retrovol settings were the one you can see in the attachment, and I had used SFS-Load on-the-fly to load a copy of Terryphi's skype_static-2.2.0.99.sfs I had kept in my flash stick.

It was thanks to Terryphi and this thread that I was able to a establish the desired communication. :D

But because what I have achieved is still quite unsatisfactory, my computing knowledge is quite poor, about 9 months have elapsed since the last post in this thread, and I'm committed to try to improve my side of the communication channel with my daughter as much as possible, I was wondering if what I have done is at the state of the art level, :wink: taking into account the system I'm using and the resources that are available in the web.

While I'm surfing the puppy connected world looking for an answer, if you know of a better way of taking advantage of my hardware, please post your ideas here. :)
Your assistance will be greatly appreciated.
:)

Antipodal
Attachments
Retrovol.png
(33.07 KiB) Downloaded 5525 times
Posting from a P4 3Ghz_ASUS P5G41T-M LX3_2G RAM_DVD Write desktop with no internal HDD
Saving my stuff on flash sticks and in external USB HDD

linuxcbon

#9 Post by linuxcbon »

Terryphi wrote: In an ideal world there would be a widely known and used open source alternative. Right now there is not.
Did you try linphone ?
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=79803

Antipodal

#10 Post by Antipodal »

Thank you linuxcbon! :!:

Fortunately things have improved since the first test with the choppy sound. :)

After having powered off my computer and making a clean reload of Slacko 533 with he only addition of Terryphi's skype_static-2.2.0.99.sfs to it, sound is now quite satisfactory.

I can only understand this thinking that perhaps, because of my inexperience and poor computing knowledge, in my attempt to get Skype working, I downloaded unnecessary software that could have acted interfering.

Anyway, I'll take a look at http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=79803 and eventually switch to it.

Thank you!
Antipodal