Fatdog64-600b1

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
kirk

Fatdog64-600b1

#1 Post by kirk »

James and myself are happy to announce Fatdog64-600 beta 1. If you didn't look at alpha2, since 521 James completely rewrote the initrd and the init scripts, and many of the setup scripts. The alpha2 release announcement is here:

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=78407

Here's the changes since alpha2:

* SFS works with multisession
* add libdbus_glib
* uses busybox blkid (faster) instead of util-linux blkid
* volume label display on drive icons can be turned off
* /usr/lib and /usr/X11R7/lib are now bind mounts (and cannot be overwritten)
* udevd-helper daemon to handle tricky usb devices
* bugfix with first-time session save
* hardinfo patched - does not crash, show Fatdog64 version
* Windows-K key is shortcut for xkill (to kill windows apps). Right-click to cancel.
* New control panel - all system/settings apps are now here
* QuickApps - create application shortcuts
* urxvt 9.15 (without perl extension)
* command line tool to split fatdog humongous initrd to standard puppy initrd for faster usb boot
* small-initrd support in fatdog-installer if you have at least 1.6 GB RAM
* base2ram parameter - force external basesfs (e.g. split-initrd) to be loaded into RAM
* experimental multi-user (some applications are still broken; some pet packages does not support non-root)
* updated Rox to git master 2012-05-30
* updated JWM to build 579
* updated peasypdf to 2.1 (thanks rcrsn51)
* updated peasyscan to 2.3 (thanks rcrsn51)
* updated wallpaper setter to 0.6.2 (thanks 01micko)
* kernel updated to 3.4.2 (will be updated to 3.4.x for final)
* Seamonkey updated to 2.10
* pburn updated to 3.6.0
* Flash player updated to 11.2.202.236
* Add Broadcom wl driver hacked to only load for pcids not claimed by the open source driver.
* Update to Mesa-8.0.3.

Plus numerous bug fixes. Setup type applications have been removed from the main menu and are now in the Control Panel. James has gotten multi-user working pretty well. You'll find the user manager under the System tab in the Control Panel. If you are not familiar with the changes since 521, take a look at the FAQs. Especially for booting and boot options.

Get it here:

http://distro.ibiblio.org/pub/linux/dis ... atdog/iso/

Thanks to all the alpha2 testers!

Also, we're planning to have Seamonkey and Firefox ISOs for final, there's a Firefox-13 pet package in the repo. Please test if you like Firefox. The pet will replace Seamonkey as the default browser.
Last edited by kirk on Thu 14 Jun 2012, 04:00, edited 1 time in total.

jamesbond

#2 Post by jamesbond »

Mirrors may take a while to sync.
http://ftp.nluug.nl/ibiblio/distributions/fatdog/
http://mirror.aarnet.edu.au/pub/fatdog/
http://ftp.cc.uoc.gr/mirrors/linux/fatdog/

Know bugs (all these known bugs are fixed for the next release)
1. Q: I cannot print? usb printer not recognised?
A: Please open terminal (as root) and to this: "chmod 0500 /usr/lib64/cups/backend/*". And then restart.

2. Q: I run multiple desktop and CUPS-PDF doesn't seem to work?
A: CUPS-PDF always display its prompt on the first desktop. If you want to print to PDF, use "Print to file..." instead.
In the next release CUPS-PDF will work as expected.

3. Q: Package doesn't seem to be installed even though I installed multiple times!
A: This is a bug, please do the following:
1. Edit the file /usr/sbin/silent_petget
2. Goto line 86
3. Near the end of the line, when you see "cpio -p $INSTALL_ROOT", change that to "cpio -up $INSTALL_ROOT"
Last edited by jamesbond on Sun 17 Jun 2012, 23:56, edited 2 times in total.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

Billtoo

Fatdog64-600b1

#3 Post by Billtoo »

Booting from live dvd with a 40gb save file on the hard drive.
It takes approx 3-4 minutes for the loading initrd to complete, same
thing as alpha2 but on another pc it would load probably twice as fast.
Both computers have blue ray drives.

Computer
Processor 8x Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-2600 CPU @ 3.40GHz
Memory 16395MB (171MB used)
Machine Type Physical machine
Operating System Fatdog64 [bb155f4388]
User Name root (root)
Date/Time Wed Jun 13 23:44:15 2012
Display
Resolution 1920x1080 pixels
OpenGL Renderer GeForce GTX 560 Ti/PCIe/SSE2
X11 Vendor The X.Org Foundation
Audio Devices
Audio Adapter HDA-Intel - HDA Intel PCH
Audio Adapter HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia
Input Devices
Power Button
Power Button
AT Translated Set 2 keyboard
ImPS/2 Logitech Wheel Mouse
PC Speaker
OpenGL
Vendor NVIDIA Corporation
Renderer GeForce GTX 560 Ti/PCIe/SSE2
Version 4.2.0 NVIDIA 295.59
Direct Rendering Yes
# glxgears
141887 frames in 5.0 seconds = 28377.303 FPS
142156 frames in 5.0 seconds = 28431.002 FPS
142322 frames in 5.0 seconds = 28464.275 FPS

The control panel is working well although I had to reload the devx
with sfs load, (I had loaded it previously after creating my savefile
and rebooting), oops, I just realized that I hadn't checked the load
permanenty box.

Working well so far.
Attachments
screenshot.jpg
(41.92 KiB) Downloaded 5796 times

01micko

#4 Post by 01micko »

On downloading :wink:

Nluug is up

Still waiting on Aarnet and UOC
Puppy Linux Blog - contact me for access

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#5 Post by Lobster »

Jamesbond is one of our Puppy heroes.
He worked on PuppyPhone and now adds multiboot for those chanting
'Do not run as root' in their sleep. :wink:

Please test this as he and Kirk deserve feedback and support.
Maybe you could leave a message via Puppyphone - I should imagine the latest and best Puppyphone is in Fatdog . . .

Any documentation/tips on going multiroot for other developers welcome 8)
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

01micko

#6 Post by 01micko »

Painless to set up a user from the control panel. I feel safe now :lol:
Attachments
whoami.jpg
(15.66 KiB) Downloaded 5821 times

James C

#7 Post by James C »

Fatdog 64-600b1 multi-session dvd.Just started testing but zero problems so far.

Summary
Computer
Processor 4x AMD Athlon(tm) II X4 620 Processor
Memory 3787MB (250MB used)
Machine Type Physical machine
Operating System Fatdog64 [bb155f4388]
User Name root (root)
Date/Time Thu Jun 14 00:38:09 2012
Display
Resolution 1366x768 pixels
OpenGL Renderer Gallium 0.4 on NV4C
X11 Vendor The X.Org Foundation
Audio Devices
Audio Adapter HDA-Intel - HDA NVidia

Display
Resolution 1366x768 pixels
Vendor The X.Org Foundation
Version 1.11.4
Monitors
Monitor 0 1366x768 pixels
OpenGL
Vendor nouveau
Renderer Gallium 0.4 on NV4C
Version 2.1 Mesa 8.0.3
Direct Rendering Yes

looking pretty solid so far. :)

LateAdopter

#8 Post by LateAdopter »

Hello Kirk & jamesbond

Thank you for adding cpuid and msr kernel modules. I have checked that TurionPowerControl can read back the voltages on my Athlon II x2, so they are working. I'll report back what power savings I get after some testing with VLC.

A few minor things about the initial setup, while I remember:

The ISO 9660 filenames are garbled in fd600a2 and fd600b1. They were OK in the fd520 and fd521 ISOs.

It's usually because the mastering software is set to enforce ISO 9660 level 1. It is better to set level 3 or turn the checking off completely. Then any software can read the filenames correctly without any extensions.

Setting up the country specific settings, the first time, is more complicated because you have to use three separate tools to do it.
The first two ask you to restart X and you have to say no, and the third one doesn't ask you and you have to remember to do it!

I can't find the power management setup tool anywhere in the menus. Its for setting up the powernow-k8 governor. I think it was in utilities previously.

Thanks for fd64 600b1. 600a2 was working really well on my system.

Billtoo

Fatdog64-600b1

#9 Post by Billtoo »

Sound quit working, I think it was caused when I opened the terminal
and ran alsa mixer and set the levels, then used the alsactl store
command.
The volume control icon disappeared from the panel at some point, using the multiple
sound card wizard etc. didn't help, got a device busy (something like
that) when trying to get sound working in vlc.
That's the only thing that I can think of that I did that may have
broken sound.
I guess you have to use the control panel alsa mixer only.I deleted the
save file and started over, added pets etc., and sound is working fine.

01micko

#10 Post by 01micko »

Pmusic version in FatDog is about a thousand years old! (Internet years. Latest pmusic was working ok in 600A2, test later in 600B1).

BTW, no problems with my USB sound card in B1. :)

Billtoo

Fatdog64-600b1

#11 Post by Billtoo »

Here's the best music manager/player in my opinion :)
Attachments
goggles.jpg
(32.45 KiB) Downloaded 5230 times

LateAdopter

#12 Post by LateAdopter »

Hello Kirk & jamesbond

I found cpufreq-info which confirmed that power management was working by default.

I set up my cpu pstate voltages using TurionPowerControl.

Playing my test video which is 1920x1080x25i plus YADIF double framerate deinterlace using VLC:

at default 1.4v it was 79 Watts peak wallplug power with my Athlon II x2

at 1.1v it was 59 Watts peak.

That makes a lot of difference to the PSU fan noise. Thank you, and blackshard!

kirk

#13 Post by kirk »

It takes approx 3-4 minutes for the loading initrd to complete, same
thing as alpha2 but on another pc it would load probably twice as fast.
Both computers have blue ray drives.
The iso is about 200MB, so booting from slow media like a DVD could take a few minutes. Optical media read speed depends on a lot of different hardware factors. That may be completely normal. If you have a copy of 521 on DVD around, you could see how it compares.
Pmusic version in FatDog is about a thousand years old!
Yes, I guess it is. I just downloaded 2.6.2. It will be in the next release.
I found cpufreq-info which confirmed that power management was working by default.
Glad you got it sorted out. But be careful tweaking your CPU. Might start getting random crashes or even kill it.

tronkel

#14 Post by tronkel »

Another awesome FATDOG. Running very well on my hardware. Is it on Distrowatch yet? If not, it ought to be.

ATI Radeon HD 6450 video driver ran out of the box. Neither the latest Ubuntu 12,04 nor Linux Mint 13 does this. Maybe the 3.4 series kernel is the reason. System using only 300MB memory with Seamonkey 2.10 loaded - great.

This distro does a lot for its 200MB size, very mature now with its multi-user capability. Users who are not used to having their own home folder should remember to place certain configuration files there and not in the root home folder. As an example, my .fonts.conf file for anti-aliased fonts did not work at all when saved to the normal Puppy root home folder. Only after creating a new user using the FATDOG Control Panel did this function OK.

Is there an sfs file available yet for FATDOG 600b1 for 32-bit libs? Or can I use the 32-bit sfs libs file from the 500 series?

Thanks for all the hard work on this.
Life is too short to spend it in front of a computer

shinobar

Grub4DosConfig 1.8

#15 Post by shinobar »

Grub4DosConfig 1.8 now supports Fatdog64.
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=51697

Note: Failed format floppy, tested on Fatdog64 alpha2 and beta1.

Code: Select all

fdformat: can't stat '/dev/fd0u1440': No such file or directory
Last edited by shinobar on Thu 14 Jun 2012, 23:27, edited 1 time in total.
Downloads for Puppy Linux [url]http://shino.pos.to/linux/downloads.html[/url]

Billtoo

#16 Post by Billtoo »

[quote="kirk"]
The iso is about 200MB, so booting from slow media like a DVD could take a few minutes. Optical media read speed depends on a lot of different hardware factors. That may be completely normal. If you have a copy of 521 on DVD around, you could see how it compares.
[quote]

It takes 30 seconds to get to the prompt if I boot the fatdog 521 dvd with
fatdog pfix=nox,ram

On the same pc it takes 4 minutes to get to the desktop if I boot the fatdog 600b1 dvd with fatdog savefile=direct:local

It's not a big problem but when you have to do reboots to install the proprietary Nvidia driver etc., it takes some time.

EDIT: I tried again and just hit enter to start the fatdog 600b1 dvd and it still took 4 minutes but it did load my savefile, guess I didn't need the fatdog savefile=direct:local part.

kirk

#17 Post by kirk »

Is there an sfs file available yet for FATDOG 600b1 for 32-bit libs? Or can I use the 32-bit sfs libs file from the 500 series?
There isn't a new one for 600. I would think the one from 500 would work. Wouldn't hurt to try it.
Code:
fdformat: can't stat '/dev/fd0u1440': No such file or directory
Wow, you have a floppy :), All I have is a usb floppy which that script doesn't support. Maybe James has a real floppy drive to test with.
On the same pc it takes 4 minutes to get to the desktop if I boot the fatdog 600b1 dvd with fatdog savefile=direct:local
Could you try booting from a hard drive on that computer? If you use grub, just copy vmlinuz and initrd to a partition and add this to grub:

title Fatdog64
rootnoverify (hd0,0)
kernel /vmlinuz
initrd /initrd

The hd0,0 in the example above, the first zero refers to the first hard drive, and the second zero refers to the first partition on that harddrive. So in that example, (hd0,0) refers to sda1.

Your boot option isn't needed. Here's some examples from the FAQs if your interested:

savefile=direct:device:sda1 --- use savefile named fd64save.ext4 located in root directory of /dev/sda1, save directly to it
savefile=ram:device:sda2:/fd600/fd64save.3fs --- use savefile named fd64save.3fs located in /fd600 directory of /dev/sda2, use RAM layer
savefile=ram:usb --- use savefile named fd64save.ext4 located in root directory of the first found usb device, use RAM layer
savefile=direct:multi --- use multisession on device /dev/sr0

Jim1911

#18 Post by Jim1911 »

WOW! :D It's superb, hugh improvement over a2 with many new features to check out. Thanks for the improving selection of programs in your Fatdog Package Manager. New frugal installation on desktop computer with new save file and have noted only a few problems.

Current problems discovered:

1. Heads up -- Not a problem. Installed Firefox-13.pet using package manager. Initially it would not work, even using a terminal. However, this was corrected with a reboot.

2. Cannot install printer -- selecting "CUPS Manage Printing" opens browser at Home CUPS 1.3.11, however clicking "Add Printer" takes you to an Administrative CUPS 1.5.2 screen which gives an error. Correct hplip pets for FD are installed. See desktop below.

Cheers,
Jim

System: BFG NVIDIA Geforce 8400 GS 512MB, Asus P6T Motherboard, Intel core i7-920 (8MB Cache, 2.66 GHz), DDR3 3GB 1333MHz ram, Pioneer DVR-2910 DVD+-RW Dual Layer Burner, Realtek ALC1200 Audio, HP Photosmart C5280 All-in-One
Attachments
image-2.jpg
(30.64 KiB) Downloaded 1789 times

jamesbond

#19 Post by jamesbond »

LateAdopter wrote:The ISO 9660 filenames are garbled in fd600a2 and fd600b1. They were OK in the fd520 and fd521 ISOs.

It's usually because the mastering software is set to enforce ISO 9660 level 1. It is better to set level 3 or turn the checking off completely. Then any software can read the filenames correctly without any extensions.
Yes, I used level 1 and only enabled Rockridge extension. I've changed the build scripts, remasters and shutdown to enable ISO level 3, Joliet and Rockridge to make it more "compatible".
Setting up the country specific settings, the first time, is more complicated because you have to use three separate tools to do it.
The first two ask you to restart X and you have to say no, and the third one doesn't ask you and you have to remember to do it!
I know what you refer by first two; I don't get the third one.
The reason they are separate is that depending on your circumstances, you only need to use one or both of them.
Billtoo wrote:Sound quit working, I think it was caused when I opened the terminal
and ran alsa mixer and set the levels, then used the alsactl store
command.
I never use alsactl before ... anyway the initscripts will store the current volume settings using alsactl as follows: "alsactl -f /etc/asound.state store" (you can see this in /etc/init.d/20-alsa
tronkel wrote:Another awesome FATDOG. Running very well on my hardware.
Thank you for the compliment :)
Is it on Distrowatch yet? If not, it ought to be.
I don't think kirk registered Fatdog to distrowatch ...
As an example, my .fonts.conf file for anti-aliased fonts did not work at all when saved to the normal Puppy root home folder. Only after creating a new user using the FATDOG Control Panel did this function OK.
Didn't it? I thought the .confs.conf if placed in /root should work for root (but not other users), vice versa if you put it under /home/fido then it should work for fido (but not for other users).
The new 32-bit libs is in progress, for the time being you can use the old one. Note the old 32-bit libs is based on the earliest Quirky so it is really ancient ... but it works :)
shinobar wrote:Grub4DosConfig 1.8 now supports Fatdog64.
Thank you shinobar, I'll get in for the next release :D
I only have one machine with floppy drive and I have not formatted a floppy for years ... :) I'm not even sure whether the
drive is still working :roll: Thank you for the report though, I think devtmpfs doesn't automatically create this "special" floppy device
nodes. The floppy formatter program needs to be upgraded to create them on the fly.
Billtoo wrote:t takes 30 seconds to get to the prompt if I boot the fatdog 521 dvd with
fatdog pfix=nox,ram

It's not a big problem but when you have to do reboots to install the proprietary Nvidia driver etc., it takes some time.

EDIT: I tried again and just hit enter to start the fatdog 600b1 dvd and it still took 4 minutes but it did load my savefile, guess I didn't need the fatdog savefile=direct:local part.
The equivalent of 521's "pfix=ram,nox" in 600 is "savefile=none pfix=nox".

As kirk said, the "direct:local" isn't needed - that is the default options, which means:
- direct = directly access the savefile (no RAM layer in between)
- local = search all local drives (harddisk, dvd, usb ...) for the savefile and use the first one found

I can guess where the slowness come from. It is probably because of the humongous initrd. 600 is optimised for operation from harddisk frugal install - humongous initrd is faster in this case. For dvd, the split-initrd (initrd + main sfs, the way standard puppy and 521 works) is probably faster. I've included support for split-initrd for flash drives, but I forgot about dvd, sorry :oops: I'll see whether I can whack the remaster script to include support for split initrd too.
Fatdog64 forum links: [url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=117546]Latest version[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/ke8sn5H]Contributed packages[/url] | [url=https://cutt.ly/se8scrb]ISO builder[/url]

jamesbond

#20 Post by jamesbond »

Jim1911 wrote:WOW! :D It's superb, hugh improvement over a2 with many new features to check out.
Thank you :)
Thanks for the improving selection of programs in your Fatdog Package Manager.
The appreciation should be extended to many people in this community too --- many of the packages in the Fatdog repository comes from our community in this forum: Billtoo, Mick (01micko), rcrsn51, Grant (smokey01) and probably others I forgot to mention :)
1. Heads up -- Not a problem. Installed Firefox-13.pet using package manager. Initially it would not work, even using a terminal. However, this was corrected with a reboot.
That's odd, it is supposed to work without a reboot. I will look at it.
2. Cannot install printer -- selecting "CUPS Manage Printing" opens browser at Home CUPS 1.3.11, however clicking "Add Printer" takes you to an Administrative CUPS 1.5.2 screen which gives an error. Correct hplip pets for FD are installed. See desktop below.
This is even odd-er :shock: 600 comes with CUPS 1.5.2, I'm not sure how you could end up with CUPS 1.3.11 homepage? Which HP package did you install (can't view it from the screenshot - old eyes).