Anyone care to make a Pinta.pet?

Paint programs, vector editors, 3d modelers, animation editors, etc.
disciple

#21 Post by disciple »

Lobster wrote:http://pinta-project.com/
is working as a 7MB download from here on Puppy Lucid 5.2 :)
Do you not need to install anything else to get it working, Lobster?
Do you know a good gtkdialog program? Please post a link here

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

DanYHKim

Pinta Portablelinuxapps.org

#22 Post by DanYHKim »

I downloaded and installed the portable image. Works without additional modification on Lucid Pup 5.2.8. Have to set the file as 'executable' to make it run, but otherwise, it works 'out of the box'. Look and feel is very like Paint.NET, which is my favorite graphics editor. Not as complex and feature-rich as Gimp, but suitable for my more modest needs, while better than MT Paint.

disciple

#23 Post by disciple »

BTW I find Pinta unacceptably slow.

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#24 Post by Lobster »

Do you not need to install anything else to get it working, Lobster?
Oh boy only just seen this question. :oops:
You are likely to need ATI or Nvidia and other provided graphic drivers to make best and speedy usage.
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D

disciple

#25 Post by disciple »

Really? What special graphics feature does it use? I thought my card was pretty good otherwise.

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

sheepy

#26 Post by sheepy »

There is a 7.5mb Pinta standalone. It will run by itself with no dependencies required. Just right click the file, click properties, and check all the "execute" boxes and then you can run the file.

http://www.datafilehost.com/download-a75e9239.html

darkcity

#27 Post by darkcity »

Thanks Sheepy, Pinta seem to work well. Would be easy to make a Pet of this and include a .desktop file.

8)

Gnuxo

#28 Post by Gnuxo »

Has anyone tried Mypaint?

I'm not sure if it's lighter then Gimp.

For me, I just want to draw and filters kind of ruin it for me.
Amazing artwork was done by hand in the old days and Mypaint kind of allows you to get a similar experience with a mouse.

disciple

#29 Post by disciple »

Gnuxo wrote:Has anyone tried Mypaint?
Yes, it seems very nice, although I'm not an artist.
I'm not sure if it's lighter then Gimp.
I don't know how the size of it + dependencies compares with the GIMP, but it is Python... :(
For me, I just want to draw and filters kind of ruin it for me.
Nobody's forcing you to use filters, are they? ;)
Amazing artwork was done by hand in the old days and Mypaint kind of allows you to get a similar experience with a mouse.
Although Mypaint and its several competitors are more aimed at using a drawing tablet or something...[/quote]

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

Gnuxo

#30 Post by Gnuxo »

Yeah, that is sad. Especially for those of us without excess money in our pockets.

The term starving artist, isn't just a figure of speech.

- Speaking of which, I was wondering if anyone knows the answer to this.
I've seen videos of people dragging and dropping colors from the palette into active window to be accessed easier almost like a real pallet.

I installed gimp 2.8 on Ubuntu 12.04 and tried that but it just caused a bucket fill. I was wondering if anyone knows what I'm doing wrong, and how I can get those colors into a convenient reach.

disciple

#31 Post by disciple »

Gnuxo wrote:Yeah, that is sad. Especially for those of us without excess money in our pockets.
What is sad? That Mypaint uses Python?
I should have mentioned - its performance seemed fine on my machine (whereas Pinta was unusably slow - I think it was something to do with it not knowing how to use the hardware acceleration of my graphics card).
I've seen videos of people dragging and dropping colors from the palette into active window to be accessed easier almost like a real pallet.
Are they dragging and dropping, or just selecting a colour and then painting a dab of it onto the canvas?

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

Gnuxo

#32 Post by Gnuxo »

I have pyroom running so I have python installed. It's no big whoop. As long as python is all it needs, I'd love to use mypaint.

...As for the videos, no they were specific. They were creating a pallette, choosing colors and putting little circles near the main window for easy access to those colors without opening the menu.

I even saw someone do that in a Gimp tutorial and I still don't know how they did it.

Is it a specific plugin or is it a feature no longer available?

disciple

#33 Post by disciple »

As long as python is all it needs
Python, PyGTK, NumPy and now protobuf. Actually, I think I remember: it is now Mypaint itself that is big, more than its dependencies, because of all the brushes or whatever it comes with.
What version of Puppy do you have? Most of the current versions are based on another distro's packages, so if there isn't a Puppy package for Mypaint, you should be able to install it from the base distro's packages.
...As for the videos, no they were specific. They were creating a pallette, choosing colors and putting little circles near the main window for easy access to those colors without opening the menu.

I even saw someone do that in a Gimp tutorial and I still don't know how they did it.

Is it a specific plugin or is it a feature no longer available?
Presumably you don't have a link to the tutorial or something, so we can see what you're talking about?
It isn't these?:
http://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-palette-dialog.html
http://docs.gimp.org/en/gimp-palette-di ... tor-dialog

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

Geoffrey

#34 Post by Geoffrey »

I've compiled Mypaint for Saluki if that's any use to you, if you want to compile it you will pretty much need all the Python Dev packages,
Python, numpy and swig http://sourceforge.net/projects/swig/fi ... swig-2.0.7
http://saluki-linux.com/Forum/viewtopic.php?p=428#p428
[b]Carolina:[/b] [url=http://smokey01.com/carolina/pages/recent-repo.html]Recent Repository Additions[/url]
[img]https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/s/ahfade8q4def1lq/signbot.gif[/img]

disciple

Was there a "GNOME paint" different to "gnome-paint"

#35 Post by disciple »

I seem to remember that as well as the project called "gnome-paint", there was a separate project called "GNOME paint". I have found one website confirming this, but I can't find any other trace of "GNOME paint". I had a feeling it was the paint program that was kind of incomplete and the writer was looking at rewriting it in Vala, but eventually chose C# or something. Does anyone remember anything about this? Am I imagining it all?

Classic Puppy quotes

ROOT FOREVER
GTK2 FOREVER

Pelo

bravo sheepy : pinta marche ( no problem)

#36 Post by Pelo »

Il fallait le savoir !
bravo sheepy : pinta marche ( no problem)
to thank you, i give you gratis some french words :
Right click ont the pinta icon, and fill the cases. I did not know that. I have done a great step in may linux knowledge
For french speaking people :
Téléchargez comme sheepy l'indique, faire un clic droit sur l'icône, properties, et remplir les cases exécutables. Moi, je les ait toutes remplies. ça marche !

That was for poor pupils who didnt study english at school ! Has somebody studied french at school among you ?
Many thanks for pinta. Pelo
Last edited by Pelo on Thu 10 Sep 2015, 15:52, edited 1 time in total.

Pelo

sfs Pinta available

#37 Post by Pelo »

sfs Pinta available in french repository for Slaxen, Slaxen is the french puplet of SLACKO 6.0. Sfs tested with Vivipup 6.0. Click the blue text to load the SFS (7MB)
Attachments
pinta.jpg
Pinta is really a nice Editor.
(60.06 KiB) Downloaded 120 times