No picture on plasma TV over DVI to HDMI cable

Booting, installing, newbie
Streppy

No picture on plasma TV over DVI to HDMI cable

#1 Post by Streppy »

I have ATI Radeon 9200 SE graphic card on my old desktop computer with 2 outs, one VGA and other DVI.

When I connect old monitor on VGA and plasma TV on DVI (to HDMI on TV) during power up I have only picture on monitor via VGA, and black screen on DVI plasma.

After starting Puppy linux picture appears also on plasma via DVI. But when I don't connect old monitor (and I don't need him, hi is surplus for me) I don't get a picture on TV at all. It would be fine even if I got only Puppy linux when it's up, but I don't get anything, even if connecting monitor afterwards (no picture on both).

I have started Quickpet, and on card Drivers started test for graphic card, and got result that I have ATI card, and advice to install Xorg, which I did, and now when again running test it said that upgrade is installed and appears to work.

Do I maybe have to change resolution, because I see that my desktop is out of the screen for an inch or so?Is it better changing resolution from Setup and Xorg Wizard or Shutdown - restarting X server?

Thanks for help!!!!

bigpup

#2 Post by bigpup »

I assume you are using Lucid Puppy?

See if there is an option in the computers bios to change the video output from VGA to DVI.
Do I maybe have to change resolution, because I see that my desktop is out of the screen for an inch or so?Is it better changing resolution from Setup and Xorg Wizard or Shutdown - restarting X server?
This can usually be fixed with settings on the monitor. Auto button works for mine.
If you are talking about TV. It may have setting options on it. If not, go to menu->Setup->Xorg Video Wizard->Xorgwizard and play with resolution settings.
Does a plasma TV work that well as a computer monitor?
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

Streppy

#3 Post by Streppy »

Yes it's Lucid Puppy. I don't have in BIOS DVI because it's older motherboard, but I'll try playing with resolution.

It's not that the plasma TV is better than the monitor, but I wanted some kind of multimedia center in the living room, so it's best way to plug in an old computer on plasma that is allready there. It's there because of Internet and watching movies and music from youtube.

steevieb

#4 Post by steevieb »

If you have two monitors set up, check in /etc/X11/xorg.conf which one is set as Monitor0
It may be as simple as changing the line Identifier "Monitor1" to read Identifier "Monitor0"

Lobster
Official Crustacean

#5 Post by Lobster »

:)
Make sure you are outputting to HDMI 1 (if there are two)

With older hardware i found Fluppy was good for TV output
http://youtu.be/j4S7MKuNqc4
Would Saluki run on your hardware?
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=56156
Puppy Raspup 8.2Final 8)
Puppy Links Page http://www.smokey01.com/bruceb/puppy.html :D