Legacy OS 4 Mini Released

News, happenings
Colonel Panic

Re: DIY full install

#81 Post by Colonel Panic »

Keef wrote:DIY Full install:

Mount the ISO (just clicking on it will do)
Click on pup_421.sfs ... but ...
If you are using a 4 series based pup (4.00 to 4.21 or retro 4.3, 4.31) you will be able to mount the sfs as they can read the same squashfile version (3.1).
If you are using a newer pup, you may get a dialogue box suggesting converting it to a compatible version. Do this, as you are extracting the contents anyway and won't need the sfs once you've had your evil way with it.
Once you see the contents of the sfs, copy everything to a partition with enough space - roughly 3 gig I think.

Also copy vmlinuz from the ISO to the same partition - you don't need initrd.gz.
I use Grub4Dos to boot, and the menu.lst entry I have is:

Code: Select all

title Legacy 04
 root (hd0,0)
 kernel /vmlinuz root=/dev/sda1
Hope this helps.
Thanks, I might try this later. I'm posting from Legacy now and it's running well even on my 11 year old system. A full install would presumably work even better.

Cheers,

CP .
Gigabyte M68MT-52P motherboard, AMD Athlon II X4 630, 5.8 GB of DDR3 RAM and a 250 GB Hitachi hard drive running Ubuntu 16.04.6, MX-19.2, Peppermint 10, PCLinuxOS 20.02, LXLE 18.04.3, Pardus 19.2, exGENT 200119, Bionic Pup 8.0 and Xenial CE 7.5 XL.

owari

Re: Legacy OS 4 Mini Released

#82 Post by owari »

john biles wrote: Got a need to create some Graphics / Drawing apps like Qcad, Kivio, Kolourpaint, Inkscape, Dia, JFdraw, Kiconedit have you covered.
Hi John,
I am using Saluki, is there a chance to use your pets therein? Specifically Kolourpaint! How did you overcome all the troubling dependencies of using KDE apps? Great Job! I need to do so about Okular as well, a pdf and djvu annotating tool.
Thanks in advance

john biles

#83 Post by john biles »

Hello owari,
The great thing about KDE is once you install the main core (20-40Mb's) adding kde apps doesn't add much more. If I remember kolourpaint was only around 2mb's. The killer is all it's reliance on that KDE core. I don't make pets sorry! I just bring together a great number of apps and package it together and release the finished ISO.

Because Legacy OS is based on the old KDE3 it still uses KPDF which is an old version of Okular which is used in KDE4.
Legacy OS 2017 has been released.

owari

#84 Post by owari »

john biles wrote: The great thing about KDE is once you install the main core (20-40Mb's) adding kde apps doesn't add much more.
Thanks, 20-40 MB core, it's awsome! I just downloaded the two KDE sfs's kde4_528.sfs from http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 56&t=71359 and kde163.xzm from http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic. ... 56&t=75983 in the hope that I can easily add the KDE apps then after, but they are almost 225 and 100 MB repectively and so why 20-40 MB is awsome!

Best Regards

umair

#85 Post by umair »

Hello Everybody:
I am not able to include Open.sfs in Legacy OS4?
Anybody have an Idea whats wrong ??????
Thnx in Advance.
UMAIR

umair

#86 Post by umair »

umair wrote:Hello Everybody:
Thnx in Advance.
UMAIR
I noticed that the s.fs file of the open office loaded at startup, but I dont see any menu entries for that. here is the screenshot.

umair

#87 Post by umair »

umair wrote:Hello Everybody:
Thnx in Advance.
UMAIR
I noticed that the s.fs file of the open office loaded at startup, but I dont see any menu entries for that. here is the screenshot.

umair

#88 Post by umair »

sorry for double post.........

Eyes-Only

#89 Post by Eyes-Only »

Hi umair,

Did you type in a terminal ( without the quotes ): "fixmenus"? If so, and then restarted "Xorg" ( your desktop ) try looking under the "Applications" button to the lower left and then perhaps "Documents" to see if it loaded there.

If OpenOffice didn't load up? Then open your file manager ( ROX-Filer ) and press the "up arrow" as this will take you to the top root directory ( "/" ). There open the "tmp" folder and look for "xerrs.log". I believe just clicking upon that will open it in a simple text viewer where you can see why the OpenOffice.sfs isn't loading.

I hope this has helped in some small way? At least until someone with more knowledge comes along and can help you?

Good luck my friend!

Cheers/Amicalement,

Eyes-Only
"L'Peau-Rouge"
*~*~*~*~*~*
Proud user of LXpup and 3-Headed Dog. 8)
*~*~*~*~*~*

muggins

#90 Post by muggins »

Not sure where you've dloaded the openoffice sfs from, but I suspect it's probably an sfs4 file, rather than sfs3, (which I think would be what Legacy would use).

You could try converting it to sfs3, but I don't know if Legacy comes with the converter?

umair

#91 Post by umair »

Hi Eyes-Only:
I tried as u mentioned but no luck.
Hi muggins:
I forgot that from where I downloaded the sfs file. Could U or anybody tell me that How I can use Open Office in Legacy OS?
Thnx in advance
UMAIR

muggins

#92 Post by muggins »

Hello Umair,

unfortunately I'm unable to specifically advise you on John's LegacyOS. I'm unaware if the sfs converter is included with it, or not.

But, in general, I've never had any problem getting OOffice working, (with any version of puppy), by directly downloading it from:

http://www.openoffice.org/download/other.html

extracting it to /mnt/home, then symlinking relevant binaries to /usr/bin.

Or, perhaps Scott Jarvis's Akita Linux repository would be more suitable to using with Legacy. He has an OOffice .pet available here:

http://akita.scottjarvis.com/

umair

#93 Post by umair »

muggins wrote:Hello Umair,

unfortunately I'm unable to specifically advise you on John's LegacyOS. I'm unaware if the sfs converter is included with it, or not.

But, in general, I've never had any problem getting OOffice working, (with any version of puppy), by directly downloading it from:

http://www.openoffice.org/download/other.html

extracting it to /mnt/home, then symlinking relevant binaries to /usr/bin.

Or, perhaps Scott Jarvis's Akita Linux repository would be more suitable to using with Legacy. He has an OOffice .pet available here:

http://akita.scottjarvis.com/
Hi Muggins:
Thnx for reply.
I will try those n will post the results soon.
Can any body tell me that the repositroy of Loegacy OS 2 will work on Legacy Os-4 or not? The link is:
http://puppylinuxstuff.meownplanet.net/ ... epository/
regards
UMAIR

john biles

#94 Post by john biles »

Hello umair,
While I don't recommend using Legacy OS 2 apps in Legacy OS 4 I know that a number of apps do work. Personally I recommend you boot up a live version of Legacy OS 4 and experiment to see what works and doesn't before trying to add them to your Hard Drive install.
Legacy OS 2 contains a lot of base libs Legacy OS 4 doesn't so a number of apps will complain of missing dependencies.
If you start them from terminal using the ldd command for example ldd ./gimp a long list of dependencies gimp relies on will be displayed. This list will tell you if anything is missing. Now you'll need to track down any missing dependencies which can take a bit of time, I know as I spent 100's of hours putting it all together.
I wish you luck as life for me is very busy outside of Linux which isn't giving me much time at all to check the forum for your posts.
Legacy OS 2017 has been released.

umair

#95 Post by umair »

john biles wrote:Hello umair,
While I don't recommend using Legacy OS 2 apps in Legacy OS 4 I know that a number of apps do work. Personally I recommend you boot up a live version of Legacy OS 4 and experiment to see what works and doesn't before trying to add them to your Hard Drive install.
Legacy OS 2 contains a lot of base libs Legacy OS 4 doesn't so a number of apps will complain of missing dependencies.
If you start them from terminal using the ldd command for example ldd ./gimp a long list of dependencies gimp relies on will be displayed. This list will tell you if anything is missing. Now you'll need to track down any missing dependencies which can take a bit of time, I know as I spent 100's of hours putting it all together.
I wish you luck as life for me is very busy outside of Linux which isn't giving me much time at all to check the forum for your posts.
Hi John:
Thnx for reply, I got Ur Point.
I will try different things according to my knowledge and as u mentioned , will post the result, if it works.
Regards
UMAIR

umair

#96 Post by umair »

Hello Every One:
I have a issue in Legacy Os-4,
I m not able to connect to my yahoo accounts through Pidgin Messenger.
Here is the screen shot
Note: I m running Legacy OS-4 from live USB
Any Idea ?
Regards
UMAIR

umair

#97 Post by umair »

umair wrote:Hello Every One:
I have a issue in Legacy Os-4,
I m not able to connect to my yahoo accounts through Pidgin Messenger.
Here is the screen shot
Note: I m running Legacy OS-4 from live USB
Any Idea ?
Regards
UMAIR
Pidgin is now working nicely in Legacy Os-4 now,
I tested pidgin before on a machine which was connected to internet through
proxy server. I tried different puppy flavors to work pidgin on a proxy server setup. But no success. Thn tried on a direct Internet connection machine n this time it works nicely. So the problem is in pidgin Messenger, not in Legacy OS-4 :-)
UMAIR

oligin10

Can't change them in Icewm

#98 Post by oligin10 »

Hi umair, I assume you are still running Legacy OS 4 Mini. Could you do me a favor and check (with a live cd, so as to not mess up your install) and see if you can change themes in icewm? I have tried to change from default and every time I do, it sends cpu to 100% and freezes up icewm. I have tried this on 2 different computers, and tried burning a new disc. Still the same results. Thanks, Rob

umair

Re: Can't change them in Icewm

#99 Post by umair »

oligin10 wrote:Hi umair, I assume you are still running Legacy OS 4 Mini. Could you do me a favor and check (with a live cd, so as to not mess up your install) and see if you can change themes in icewm? I have tried to change from default and every time I do, it sends cpu to 100% and freezes up icewm. I have tried this on 2 different computers, and tried burning a new disc. Still the same results. Thanks, Rob
Hi Rob:
I will try and post the result very sooon.
UMAIR

oligin10

Thanks

#100 Post by oligin10 »

Thanks umair, I appreciate the help. Rob