How to Add a Launchbar To the Top of Your Screen, Puppy 4.3

Using applications, configuring, problems
aarf

#21 Post by aarf »

DaveS wrote:For screen capture, I like to put that one in the bottom tray next to the menu button. Here is the code for that, which goes in .jwmrc-tray

Code: Select all

<TrayButton popup="Take Screenshot" icon="/usr/local/lib/X11/mini-icons/gtkam.png">exec:mtpaintsnapshot.sh</TrayButton>
Same code for the top tray.
When you see a file in Puppy with a *.sh extension, mtpaintsnapshot.sh in this case, it means it is a little text file that has been set to run as a program, or, a 'script'. I will add a post later giving some basic ideas about scripts, because they are the most incredibly useful things :)
your icon isnt my 430.
info about scripts sounds good even though i've got just about everything i needed now: java and opera10final (also java jin chess) all symlinked from outside the pupsave, top fast launcher, changed wallpaper and icons, pwidgets, wifidown button on desktop. i'm pretty satisfied. but if you have some other must haves i'm ready and willing to give them a try.

DaveS

#22 Post by DaveS »

Aarf, that particular icon is in Puppies 4.3.1, which I now use as my default Puppy because among other things, it uses Firefox instead of Seamonkey. http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=46727

Tip: often, you will be wanting to set up a quick launcher on a pop-up bar for something that is in the menu system. You can steal the command and icon from said menu system. They can be found in /root/.jwmrc
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

DaveS

#23 Post by DaveS »

'foo, thanks for that. Truth is, once you understand the basics, the only limitation is ones imagination. That is why I like hand configuring these things.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

DaveS

#24 Post by DaveS »

aarf wrote:if you have some other must haves i'm ready and willing to give them a try.
I usually add the back-up tool grsync http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 7918ae5aa2

It has one small bug in that when you open it for the very first time, if you want to add a file/directory via the little browse icon, you MUST pot something, anything, in the path window first, or it will fall over. this is due to not having a default grsync.ini file until after the first use.

For me, petmaker plus from Trio is a must have too. Install it, because I an going to mention it on this thread soon.

http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?p=290171
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

alienjeff

#25 Post by alienjeff »

In scanning this thread, I didn't see anything regarding a valuable feature of JWM - namely the "-p" option, which parses the configuration file(s) and reports any problems. It's important to run "jwm -p" before restarting JWM with a new configuration file because if there's a syntax error in your configuration, you're going to be crippled with a very sick WM.

Trust me. Been there. Done that. Wasn't fun.
[size=84][i]hangout:[/i] ##b0rked on irc.freenode.net
[i]diversion:[/i] [url]http://alienjeff.net[/url] - visit The Fringe
[i]quote:[/i] "The foundation of authority is based upon the consent of the people." - Thomas Hooker[/size]

DaveS

#26 Post by DaveS »

alienjeff wrote:In scanning this thread, I didn't see anything regarding a valuable feature of JWM - namely the "-p" option, which parses the configuration file(s) and reports any problems. It's important to run "jwm -p" before restarting JWM with a new configuration file because if there's a syntax error in your configuration, you're going to be crippled with a very sick WM.

Trust me. Been there. Done that. Wasn't fun.
Since the recent updates to JWM, rounded corners etc, jwm -p usually reports errors where there are none, so it can be a bit sketch relying on it..........
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!

alienjeff

#27 Post by alienjeff »

I assume the false flag error reports from "jwm -p" are on the Puppy user "enchanced" JWM, and not the official release of JWM, as I have experienced no such false flags with my Arch Linux installation of JWM v2.0.1.

Code: Select all

[jeff@kayak ~]$ jwm -v
JWM v2.0.1 by Joe Wingbermuehle
compiled options: confirm icons png shape xft xinerama xpm xrender 
system configuration: /etc/system.jwmrc
[size=84][i]hangout:[/i] ##b0rked on irc.freenode.net
[i]diversion:[/i] [url]http://alienjeff.net[/url] - visit The Fringe
[i]quote:[/i] "The foundation of authority is based upon the consent of the people." - Thomas Hooker[/size]

`f00

and beyondish

#28 Post by `f00 »

:lol: aj's still almost right about "current version", according to Joe's jwm homepage - revisiting here for some tippage

a) more recent jwm dotpets may overwrite a custom /etc/xdg/templates/_root_.jwmrc (with the separated .jwmrc-tray-* includes) with a more-or-less 'standard' template so be aware of that when upgrading jwm with a dotpet - an alternative is to do multiple tray sections in the single /root/.jwmrc-tray file

b) some changes to accomodate new features such as the Pager array of rows and columns (jwm 500 and above)

BK's blog links from early 2011
JWM 500
Jwmconfig2 20101229-bk
JWM, Jwmconfig pkgs upgraded

.. most recent dotpet of jwm for me is jwm2-574-w5c, fwiw

.. there's a dropdown selector in jwmconfig,JWMtab->Tray Management->Tray Configuration Options->Virtual Desktops that stops at 2 rows (vertical), but you can type in 3 or more and that works nicely (or edit /root/.jwm/jwmrc-personal to suit your array preference) - here's a link to a fairly recent post of mine with more detail on futzing about with jwm tray stuff

further note - if the template is changed, you usually have to do a "fixmenus" and jwm reload, but merely editing tray file(s) only needs a quick reload of jwm to see results of your editing
Last edited by `f00 on Mon 04 Jun 2012, 16:57, edited 1 time in total.

DaveS

#29 Post by DaveS »

I should update this really to show how the additional tray can be specified in /root/.jwmrc-tray, by specifying a second tray inside two tray tags, <tray> </tray>, thus making the 'include' statement redundant.
Spup Frugal HD and USB
Root forever!