Installation Problems

Booting, installing, newbie
3novice78

Installation Problems

#1 Post by 3novice78 »

I apologize for asking this question again but I have searched the forums for over one week now and I am not able to find a working solution. My problem is trying to install SeaMonkey 2.9.1 in Puppy Linux 4.3.1 (I have this because my computer is older and this works great on it). I am still new to linux but I enjoy learning about how to use it. If someone could please lead me in the right direction or if someone can post instructions for me I would greatly appreciate the help. :) Oh! I did already try the suggestions from this forum and others but SeaMonkey 2.9.1 does not boot. I have SeaMonkey 1.1.8 (this comes with Puppy Linux 4.3.1) and I tried the update solution but it wouldn't update. :cry:

Dewbie

#2 Post by Dewbie »

You can either try this, or follow these instructions.
(replacing SeaMonkey 2.5 with the latest, which is available here)
I have SeaMonkey 1.1.8 (this comes with Puppy Linux 4.3.1)
That's 1.1.18.

8-bit

#3 Post by 8-bit »

Be forwarned that the installation of a later version of SeaMonkey can wipe out your bookmarks and any stored passwords.
I had it happen to me in upgrading.
But I cannot remember what version it happened on.
So you should see if the version of SeaMonkey has an option to back up your bookmarks. I think it also does the passwords in the backup.
But you may want to hard copy them just in case.

3novice78

#4 Post by 3novice78 »

Thank you for your help but unfortunately, I am still not able to get SeaMonkey to launch.
I think I may be missing something but I am not sure what it could be. I might have installed puppy linux incorrectly
but not sure because everything appears to be working okay.
Anyway, I only have one other question. Can someone point me in the direction of learning the correct commands
to use for Rxvt terminal?
Thanks again for the great help in this forum.
OH! Dewbie sorry I did not have the correct numbers for SeaMonkey

Semme

#5 Post by Semme »

I've read what you said about 4.3.1.. have you tried 5.2.8? I've got an older box and it flies!

If it's really SM you want you've gotta remove the older one beforehand.

Here, run: seamonkey out of a shell and post the results...

Dewbie

#6 Post by Dewbie »

Semme wrote:
That will break PuppyBrowser (help browser) in 4.3.1, though.
(It's tied in to SeaMonkey 1.1.18.)
http://www.murga-linux.com/puppy/viewto ... 55&t=52196
PuppyBrowser is used for printer setup, etc.

Semme

#7 Post by Semme »

Dewbie

#8 Post by Dewbie »

3novice78 wrote:
Thank you for your help but unfortunately, I am still not able to get SeaMonkey to launch.
I hadn't actually tried shinobar's SeaMonkey 2.9.1 .sfs till today.
(That's the first link I posted above.)
It's definitely the way to go. :)

He was somehow able to make SeaMonkey 2.9.1 install as default browser without overwriting SeaMonkey 1.1.18. So PuppyBrowser remains functional, as it's dependent on 1.1.18.
(See screenshot below, from /usr/bin directory.)

To install the .sfs, copy it to the directory you have Puppy installed in.
Reboot.
A window will open, asking if you want it to load next time.
So add it to the list.
Reboot again, and it should be functional.

(If you go into /usr/bin and click on the seamonkey-1 icon, 1.1.18 will launch.)
Attachments
usr-bin.png
from /usr/bin
(4.71 KiB) Downloaded 752 times

3novice78

#9 Post by 3novice78 »

Thank you everyone. I will try your suggestions soon and post the results. Thanks so much for helping a newbie learn and understand linux. :wink:

3novice78

#10 Post by 3novice78 »

Dewbie - I tried your suggestions but for the last one I have no idea how to install an sfs file and I have no ideal what you mean. My puppy linux 4.3.1 was not working properly so I install puppy wary 5.0. I have tried to install newer versions of Linux OS (like someone suggested) but my computer gives me an error. So the highest I can go is Puppy Wary 5.0.
Anyway, I had to install Seamonkey 2.10 (it the one available now) and I still can't launch Seamonkey. I have decided to give up because I am just not expert enough to understand Linux commands. Everyone gives great suggestions but when I try them for some reason they don't work for me and I get frustrated because I know I am doing something wrong and I just can't figure it all out. :cry: Thank you for your time and I apologize for taking up your time. :(

Karl Godt

#11 Post by Karl Godt »

Iam running Seamonkey 1-1-18 at Macpup Opera2 based upon 4.3.1 and it does its job .

I would go to

http://ftp.mozilla.org/pub/mozilla.org/seamonkey/

fetch it what seems right , click on the tarball and answer all questions from xarchive with yes .

Sleep a night over it .

Monsie

Installation Problems

#12 Post by Monsie »

Hi 3novice78,

To launch SeaMonkey from the terminal:

Code: Select all

cd /path/to/SeaMonkey
./seamonkey
You should be able to run SeaMonkey 2.9.1 in Wary Puppy 5.0 I am currently running this version of SeaMonkey in Wary Puppy 5.3 As Karl suggested, I would download SeaMonkey from the Mozilla site that he provided. Extract the downloaded package, then you should be able to launch SeaMonkey using the commands above. This is the easiest method in my experience. That said, there are a few things to consider in order to run SeaMonkey smoothly...
  • run SeaMonkey 2.9.1 as a second browser instead of trying to upgrade your existing version of SeaMonkey,
    put SeaMonkey 2.9.1 in the recommended directory which is --> /usr/local/lib/ as stated in the seamonkey shell script
    make a separate profile for running SeaMonkey 2.9.1 if you are concerned about losing bookmarks and other data from your original SeaMonkey especially if it is version 1x
To create a separate profile for SeaMonkey 2.9.1 using the recommended location as defined in the shell script, run this command first before launching the browser:

cd /usr/local/lib/seamonkey
./seamonkey -profilemanager
Lastly, consider making a symlink to the seamonkey shell script if you don't want to bother with going to the terminal all of the time to launch the browser. I explained one way of doing so at the end of this thread here.

Hope this helps,
Monsie
My [u]username[/u] is pronounced: "mun-see". Derived from my surname, it was my nickname throughout high school.

Dewbie

#13 Post by Dewbie »

I wrote:
To install the .sfs, copy it to the directory you have Puppy installed in.
Reboot.
A window will open, asking if you want it to load next time.
So add it to the list.
Reboot again, and it should be functional.

Oh, sh*t!
Here's what I meant:
To install the .sfs, copy it to the partition you have Puppy installed on.
("partition" meaning sda1, sda2, etc.)
Does that make more sense?
Sorry about that. :?

RetroTechGuy

#14 Post by RetroTechGuy »

Semme wrote:I've read what you said about 4.3.1.. have you tried 5.2.8? I've got an older box and it flies!

And if it runs 4.3.1, it should run 5.2.8. I find the 5.28 seems to be less hardware intensive than 4.3.1.

If it needs a Retro, try 5.25 Retro (I have this running on an old 333MHz laptop).
[url=http://murga-linux.com/puppy/viewtopic.php?t=58615]Add swapfile[/url]
[url=http://wellminded.net63.net/]WellMinded Search[/url]
[url=http://puppylinux.us/psearch.html]PuppyLinux.US Search[/url]

dk60902

#15 Post by dk60902 »

Semme wrote:I've read what you said about 4.3.1.. have you tried 5.2.8? I've got an older box and it flies!

Please tell me the easiest way to uninstall an older version of SM. I'm using Slacko 5.3.2.4 as a frugal install. It comes w/ SM 2.7.2. I was able to update to 2.9.1, and update to 2.10.1 yesterday, but going to help - about SM - check for updates. However, I messed something up. I deleted the SM 2.9.1 tar that I downloaded from the SM website. I then downloaded 2.10.1 and followed the exact instructions that I did for 2.9.1, but when I try to launch SM, it shows the older version, 2.7.2. I was thinking that if I uninstall the old, and then install the new 2.10, 2.10 will launch.

3novice78

Re: Installation Problems

#16 Post by 3novice78 »

Monsie wrote:Hi 3novice78,

To launch SeaMonkey from the terminal:

cd /path/to/SeaMonkey
./seamonkey
You should be able to run SeaMonkey 2.9.1 in Wary Puppy 5.0 I am currently running this version of SeaMonkey in Wary Puppy 5.3 As Karl suggested, I would download SeaMonkey from the Mozilla site that he provided. Extract the downloaded package, then you should be able to launch SeaMonkey using the commands above. This is the easiest method in my experience. That said, there are a few things to consider in order to run SeaMonkey smoothly...
  • run SeaMonkey 2.9.1 as a second browser instead of trying to upgrade your existing version of SeaMonkey,
    put SeaMonkey 2.9.1 in the recommended directory which is --> /usr/local/lib/ as stated in the seamonkey shell script
    make a separate profile for running SeaMonkey 2.9.1 if you are concerned about losing bookmarks and other data from your original SeaMonkey especially if it is version 1x
To create a separate profile for SeaMonkey 2.9.1 using the recommended location as defined in the shell script, run this command first before launching the browser:

cd /usr/local/lib/seamonkey
./seamonkey -profilemanager
Lastly, consider making a symlink to the seamonkey shell script if you don't want to bother with going to the terminal all of the time to launch the browser. I explained one way of doing so at the end of this thread here.

Hope this helps,
Monsie
I have already tired this several times for Puppy Linux 4.3.1 and Puppy Wary 5.0.
Nothing happens. I must be missing a file or something and all the suggestions I get are not solving my problem. Like I said there must be something I am doing wrong and I can't figure it out.
:oops:

Karl Godt

#17 Post by Karl Godt »

Notice :

If you install a tarball , make sure you cp the content from the WORKING DIRECTORY ie /root/my-documents or /root/Downloads into something like the PATH .

I do it like runtt21 on Macpup Fox 3 : I put it into /lib/firefox and not into /usr/lib/ which is crowded already .

/usr/share/applications/firefox.desktop has to be adjusted for the PATH :

[Desktop Entry]
Encoding=UTF-8
Name=FireFox 602 web browser
#Icon=/usr/local/lib/X11/pixmaps/www48.png
#Icon=www48.png
#Icon=default48.png
Icon=/lib/firefox-602/chrome/icons/default/default48.png
Comment=FireFox web browser
Exec=/lib/firefox-602/firefox
Terminal=false
Type=Application
Categories=WebBrowser
GenericName=FireFox web browser

3novice78

#18 Post by 3novice78 »

[quote]Code:
cd /path/to/SeaMonkey
./seamonkey
Monsie I did as you said in the terminal above
I typed:
cd /usr/local/seanonkey
./seamonkey
the result was this error.
Illegal instruction
Can anyone help me solve this problem :cry:

Monsie

Installation Problems

#19 Post by Monsie »

3novice78 wrote:
Code:cd /path/to/SeaMonkey
./seamonkey
Monsie I did as you said in the terminal above
I typed:
cd /usr/local/seanonkey
./seamonkey
the result was this error.
Illegal instruction
Can anyone help me solve this problem :cry:
This type of error is a crash. It is likely occurring because SeaMonkey was compiled using instruction sets in its code that your cpu does not support. How old is your system? Some specific details here might be useful.
I have tried to install newer versions of Linux OS (like someone suggested) but my computer gives me an error. So the highest I can go is Puppy Wary 5.0.
You may have to recognize the limitations of your hardware and therefore use an earlier version of SeaMonkey in order to achieve a degree of success here.

Monsie
My [u]username[/u] is pronounced: "mun-see". Derived from my surname, it was my nickname throughout high school.

3novice78

#20 Post by 3novice78 »

You may have to recognize the limitations of your hardware and therefore use an earlier version of SeaMonkey in order to achieve a degree of success here.
Monsie
Monsie: I have a Compaq Presario model#5360. I believe that my coputer is to old and will not be able to run the newer browsers. I am not looking to update my computer because I already have an updated one. I was just looking to use my older cmputer with the linux system because I want to become more than just a novice with the Linux OS and I want to understand the command line better.
Anyway, thank you everyone that gave me suggestions and your patience. Theses forums really do help people solve problems by taking the time to answer. It is greatly appreciated. :)