Lucid Puppy 5.2.8 - Updated ISO Version 005 - APR 05 2012

A home for all kinds of Puppy related projects
OscarTalks

#1901 Post by OscarTalks »

Hello Playdayz,

Thanks for the reply. Many radio stations use wma for their streams which is why for me an audio player needs to be able to play them and it seems they are handled differently from wma files. In WMP you have to use mms:// as the protocol rather than http:// to connect to the direct wma stream url although often you will see a metafile of some sort with an http:// prefix being used. The mms:// url will be contained within the metafile if you open it as text.

One example is WFTL in Florida. I can enter "http://streamer5.securenetsystems.net:80/WFTL" into VLC and it will connect and play, but the media information dialogue shows that the actual stream location is "mms://streamer5.securenetsystems.net/WFTL". If you enter this into VLC directly it plays also.

Otherwise there is a list of UK radio stations' wma streams at http://radiofeeds.co.uk/wmp.asp

Looking at the Audacious forum there was mention of needing to install libmms and the mms plugin as well as ffaudio.

Cheers
Oscar in England

jim3630

#1902 Post by jim3630 »

playdayz wrote: There is an option in PPM to download all of the dependencies--to make the packages in the Lucid repo I did that and then "undebed" and combined them so that they could all be installed at once.
playdayz

i wonder. you download all dependencies by selecting that option, but not installed. then how do you "undebed" them and combine to install at once?

i download all dependencies and selected not to install them so to save in a separate partition then install the debs one by one and can reuse them again if needed. i didn't know there is a way other than installing one at a time.
thanks lost in the desert jim

sunburnt

#1903 Post by sunburnt »

Thanks big pup and palydayz; That`s exactly what I needed to know.

Work on the differences in infrastructure could produce a new package tool.
This would be fixes to the packages and possibly changes to Puppy.
Making Puppy more "something" like to give it a new package base is good.

Karl Godt

#1904 Post by Karl Godt »

jim3630 wrote:
playdayz wrote: There is an option in PPM to download all of the dependencies--to make the packages in the Lucid repo I did that and then "undebed" and combined them so that they could all be installed at once.
playdayz

i wonder. you download all dependencies by selecting that option, but not installed. then how do you "undebed" them and combine to install at once?

i download all dependencies and selected not to install them so to save in a separate partition then install the debs one by one and can reuse them again if needed. i didn't know there is a way other than installing one at a time.
Jim : Open them with xarchive. Xarchive will install them to ./usr, ./etc etc in the current directory . If you create a mainfolder like application-version also possible in xarchive and let xarchive install them to ./application-version/usr etc ..
Another way is the "dpkg --help" binary or busybox applet " busybox dpkg-deb -x " application-version.deb .

Code: Select all

FULLPKG=`basename ${FULLPKGNAME} .deb`
mkdir -p /tmp/${FULLPKG}
dpkg-deb -x ${FULLPKGNAME} /tmp/${FULLPKG}

oldyeller

#1905 Post by oldyeller »

Hello,

I was wandering if the updated programs that were put into 528 be put into 525?

Thanks,

oldyeller

playdayz

#1906 Post by playdayz »

jim3630, here is what I often do. There is a program named undeb; I wrote a simple script to loop it through the debs. All debs in the same folder and then all of the "undebed" programs will be in that folder in /usr, etc. which can then be combined. undeb is in Lucid and here is the script.

for file in *
do 
undeb $file
done
I think micko has a more sophisticated script to turn debs into packages.
I was wandering if the updated programs that were put into 528 be put into 525?

Yes, I think they could be. It would be matter of downloading the pets from the forum and then installing them.
Many radio stations use wma for their streams which is why for me an audio player needs to be able to play them and it seems they are handled differently from wma files. In WMP you have to use mms:// as the protocol rather than http:// to connect to the direct wma stream url although often you will see a metafile of some sort with an http:// prefix being used. The mms:// url will be contained within the metafile if you open it as text.

One example is WFTL in Florida. I can enter "http://streamer5.securenetsystems.net:80/WFTL" into VLC and it will connect and play,
That is interesting Oscar Talks. Thanks for the info. I didn't really know that there were many wma streams--since I Iisten mainly to Shoutcast stations, mp3 and aac. PupTelly in Lupu will also play the link you provided. I will look into it as I have time but if you find out any more please let me know. When I try to play that stream in Audacious I get a decoder not found error.
libmms and the mms plugin
This wouldn't be the first time I missed an Audacious plugin--for a while I didn't know about bs2b ;-) If this is like that then Aduacious would need to be recompiled with the libmms to build the plugin <Add> which I just did but I still get the decoder not found error. It looks like I need to figure out the ffaudio plugin now. Yes, the ffaudio plugin is not being built and I don't know why not.

OK, It seems that Audacious has upped the ffmpeg requirement to 0.9 which Lupu does not have. This happened at version 3.2 I gather. dealing with it would be a big hassle. I have not found the Audacious programmers to be very interested in end users.
I don't know the motivations to force only ffmpeg0.9 or later in audacious, but the solutions that are given here involve some manipulations that are certainly not easy for most users. And in package repositories of several linux based operating systems, the latest version of ffmpeg is 0.7 (in my case, I have the latest version of Ubuntu, 11.10) and the change to ffmpeg 0.9 as official WON'T HAPPEN SOON.

stu90

#1907 Post by stu90 »

jim3630 wrote:
playdayz

Hello jim3630,
Have a look for Pemasu's version of rox-filer right click menus - it has an undeb all .debs in directory right click and a turn dir into pet right click.

kevin bowers

Undeb/unrpm

#1908 Post by kevin bowers »

Note on usage: I have found when using undeb or unrpm (both commands are included in the .pet) YOU WANT TO ORIGINATE THE COMMAND FROM THE ROOT (/) DIRECTORY. If you have filename.deb in, say, /root/my-documents, and use a <right-click>terminal here, and

undeb filename.deb
, it will install all components to levels deeper than /root/my-documents; which is to say, if it is supposed to install to /usr/bin/, it will create and install to /root/my-documents/usr/bin/. There may be a way around this but my fix is simply to copy the .deb to / and undeb from there. The same holds true for unrpm.

sunburnt

#1909 Post by sunburnt »

Wouldn`t that be; if you want to install the package extract in / ?
I think clicking on the file opens a Puppy install dialog that extracts in / .

If you want to make a pet or sfs from it, extract it in a dir.

kevin bowers

#1910 Post by kevin bowers »

sunburnt wrote:Wouldn`t that be; if you want to install the package extract in / ?
I think clicking on the file opens a Puppy install dialog that extracts in / .

If you want to make a pet or sfs from it, extract it in a dir.
The undeb and unrpm commands simply take a .deb or .rpm file and install it in the directories that Debian or Redhat would put it in. But they are very simple command-line programs, and simply look above whatever their current working directory is. That is, they assume they are being run from /.

One more point: in frugal installs, in Puppy this means /mnt/home.

playdayz

#1911 Post by playdayz »

Code:
undeb filename.deb
, it will install all components to levels deeper than /root/my-documents; which is to say, if it is supposed to install to /usr/bin/, it will create and install to /root/my-documents/usr/bin/. There may be a way around this but my fix is simply to copy the .deb to / and undeb from there. The same holds true for unrpm.
Yes, this is what I want it to do so I can collect all of the files in a separate directory and then build a pet with them rather than install them. You are right if you want to directly install them.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Oscar Talks, We got lucky it looks like anyway. Someone had run into the same problem and patched the plugins to use ffmpeg 0.7 which is what is in Lupu Plus and in the Pmusic upgrade for regular Lupu and in 3HD. But regular Lupu without the Pmusic upgrade has ffmpeg 0.6 and probably won't work. These were built for Audacious 3.2.2 but they are working for me in 3.2.3--I am playing the sample link mms://streamer5.securenetsystems.net:80/WFTL I did have to change the protocol to mms. I entered the link in File -> Open Url.
I will patch the Audacious 3.2.3 pet soon. http://diddywahdiddy.net/Puppy500/audacious-3.2.3-2.pet
Attachments
audacious-mms-ffaudio-plugins.pet
(76.51 KiB) Downloaded 307 times
Last edited by playdayz on Sun 03 Jun 2012, 01:00, edited 1 time in total.

jim3630

#1912 Post by jim3630 »

Karl Godt wrote:
jim3630 wrote:
playdayz

Jim : Open them with xarchive. Xarchive will install them to ./usr, ./etc etc in the current directory . If you create a mainfolder like application-version also possible in xarchive and let xarchive install them to ./application-version/usr etc ..
Another way is the "dpkg --help" binary or busybox applet " busybox dpkg-deb -x " application-version.deb .

FULLPKG=`basename ${FULLPKGNAME} .deb`
mkdir -p /tmp/${FULLPKG}
dpkg-deb -x ${FULLPKGNAME} /tmp/${FULLPKG}
hi Karl

tried xarchive either to open or multi-extract.

in /etherape 4 files etherape ubuntu deb and three other dependency debs.

got error
cp: omitting directory `/root/etherape'

and
error
xz: /tmp/xa-t5K7Eu/etherape_0.9.8-1+squeeze1_i386.deb: File format not recognized

@playdayz

the Code:
for file in *
do
undeb $file
done

that did unpacked the 4 files in two directors under /etherape but did not install the program and could not run. it is kind of a fun program and used it before in puppy.

@stu90

went to 5x14 right click on /etherape extract all debs in folder and it did just that under /etherape creating /etherape/extracted-debs/user /etherape/extracted-debsvar but did not install the working program.

besides not getting these methods to work just don't get what is the difference between clicking on debs one by one and the other way?
thanks jim

playdayz

#1913 Post by playdayz »

@playdayz

the Code:
for file in *
do
undeb $file
done

that did unpacked the 4 files in two directors under /etherape but did not install the program and could not run. it is kind of a fun program and used it before in puppy.
Yes, all it does it place them into a directory. I then use them to build the pet I want and use dir2pet to make that into a pet. For instance, I would use /etherape as the base directory of the pet and tat would include /usr and whatever other directories were necessary. I would put all files into the appropriate directories and then buld the pet with the command dir2pet ethrape.

Karl Godt

#1914 Post by Karl Godt »

funny :

bash-3.2# head /bin/undeb

#!/bin/sh
exec dpkg-deb -x "$@" .
:D

majorfoo

Libre Office 3.54

#1915 Post by majorfoo »

Playdayz

I downloaded libre office office 3.54 for windows today and was surprised how fast it loads. If check their website, they claim 3.54 and higher will be much, much faster.

You might want to check this out for the lucid/lupu versions where you have libre-office as option

FYI

playdayz

#1916 Post by playdayz »

LibreOffice 3.5.4 is the fastest version of the best free office suite ever, with up to 100% performance gains when opening large files (depending on operating system, hardware configuration and file contents).
Majorfoo, Good news indeed. Thanks.

stu90

#1917 Post by stu90 »

jim3630 wrote:
@stu90

went to 5x14 right click on /etherape extract all debs in folder and it did just that under /etherape creating /etherape/extracted-debs/user /etherape/extracted-debsvar but did not install the working program.

besides not getting these methods to work just don't get what is the difference between clicking on debs one by one and the other way?
thanks jim
Hi Jim3630
Yes that is the correct procedure - all the indavidual .deb files will be extracted into the extracted-debs directory you then rename the extracted-debs directory to the application name-version and use the dir2pet right click menu option to turn that directory and its content into a single .pet and then install.

The benefit of this is you are not having to deal with the install / uninstall of lots of individual .deb packages instead you have just the one .pet

bigpup

#1918 Post by bigpup »

Playdayz,

From Barry's blog:
When the Raspberry Pi does arrive, I will most likely switch over to working intensely on porting Puppy to it.

Which means that the x86 Precise Puppy will languish.
Sure seems, Barry could use a developer, of Puppy versions, to take over development of Precise Puppy.
http://bkhome.org/blog/?viewDetailed=02856
Precise Puppy, being based on Ubuntu Precise Pangolin, sure seems like the next logical bath for Lucid Puppy.
Sure would be nice to have all the good features of Lucid 528.005 in a newer Ubuntu based Puppy.
I am sure others would help :D
The things they do not tell you, are usually the clue to solving the problem.
When I was a kid I wanted to be older.... This is not what I expected :shock:
YaPI(any iso installer)

sunburnt

#1919 Post by sunburnt »

bigpup; And simplify simplify! It`s been repeated that Puppy`s too bloated.
And TinyCore is too spartan, a happy medium here folks?

Remove everything except Puppy scripts and apps., geany, rxvt, gparted, etc.
Put everything else in SFS files, singles and like groups of apps.
The main groups would be: media, business, graphics, web, and games.

So a smaller download and no bloat, with lots of apps. in SFS files.

smokey01

#1920 Post by smokey01 »

sunburnt that sound like the saluki way.